Cincy approved $85m stadium expansion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cincy approved $85m stadium expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As bad is our football program according to you, we are .500 against the "mighty" UL. We also have more players in the NFL than UL despite having a way shorter history. What does that say about UL football?

If I am an UL fan, I would pucker up to FSU AD's ass and kiss it every night. Without FSU, you would be nowhere near the ACC. Timing was right for UL so congrats. In the grand scheme of things, UL is merely an ugly duckling in the ACC.
Keep telling yourself that. Since Louisville was added the ACC has increased its TV deal by 50% and unanimously signed a GoR. FSU and Clemson were ready to bolt when it looked like another stagnant northeastern program was going to be added, and UNC and Virginia weren't far behind. You guys are Boston College Jr. and you know it.

Reaction Score
Keep telling yourself that. Since Louisville was added the ACC has increased its TV deal by 50% and unanimously signed a GoR. FSU and Clemson were ready to bolt when it looked like another stagnant northeastern program was going to be added, and UNC and Virginia weren't far behind. You guys are Boston College Jr. and you know it.

Yeah, because BC has won multiple national championships, and because BC earns $10 million more than Ville in TV/licensing rights. Yeah, right.

The reason the GOR was signed is because Maryland bolted and FSU was afraid of UNC, Va, NC St, VT doing the same. Case closed.

Reaction Score
Yeah, because BC has won multiple national championships, and because BC earns $10 million more than Ville in TV/licensing rights. Yeah, right.

The reason the GOR was signed is because Maryland bolted and FSU was afraid of UNC, Va, NC St, VT doing the same. Case closed.
Well we can argue all night but the bottom line is Louisville's conference future is secure while UConn's is not. You guys had best get used to playing Tulane and Temple and Memphis on weekday nights because that's your football schedule for the foreseeable future. And you'd better hope Ollie pans out or you'll REALLY become the next Boston College. Having 0 regional conference rivals tends to do that to a team.

Reaction Score
From a functional standpoint wouldn't a roof over the east stand or heated seats be a better investment than extra seats.

This type of roof seems something that can be added to the Rent with minimal fuss.
8590217.jpg

Reaction Score
Well we can argue all night but the bottom line is Louisville's conference future is secure while UConn's is not. You guys had best get used to playing Tulane and Temple and Memphis on weekday nights because that's your football schedule for the foreseeable future. And you'd better hope Ollie pans out or you'll REALLY become the next Boston College. Having 0 regional conference rivals tends to do that to a team.

So you changed the subject I see. Typical.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

On a scale of 1-10, it sucks how bad to be the #2 team in Kentucky? (clarification: of course I am referring to athletically, academically would be a far lowing rank)

Edit: are you really claiming that L'Ville is the reason the contract went up, for 15 teams. Not, you know, Notre Dame. Or the fact that the contract is underpriced and that ESPN can't afford to let UNC, UVA, FSU, Clemson, VTech walk over to Fox? No, that couldn't be it. It had to be the school that carries one town in Kentucky. You guys are f'in nuts.

Reaction Score
From a functional standpoint wouldn't a roof over the east stand or heated seats be a better investment than extra seats.

This type of roof seems something that can be added to the Rent with minimal fuss.
8590217.jpg

I really can't tell if you are being sarcastic so if my meter is broke tonight forgive me...

Roof/Heated seats??? WTF?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Hey goober, UL is about to have zero regional conference rivals. And will be the hillbilly fanbase to boot, so you're looking like the new BC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I really can't tell if you are being sarcastic so if my meter is broke tonight forgive me...

Roof/Heated seats??? WTF?

You can't even make some of this stuff up. What the hell would Rentschler need heated seats for. Is UConn moving to the Yukon?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You can't even make some of this stuff up. What the hell would Rentschler need heated seats for. Is UConn moving to the Yukon?

Per wikipedia:

"Receiving royal assent on March 27, 2002, the federal government modernized the Yukon Act to confirm "Yukon", rather than "Yukon Territory", as the current usage standard."

So, it appears we are the second major rebranding effort in the past decade or so to ditch our full name and just go with UConn.

Maybe we're on to something!

Reaction Score
OK I quickly scanned this thread and did not see anything about payment. I probably missed it. The question is how is any renovation going to be paid for? Where in the state budget will the dollars come from? If there is a diversion of funds how will that affect the state university system and community colleges? Substantial investment has already been made to upgrade the athletic facilities and in the areas of education and research. Any kind of expense has to be justified especially in regards to a facility that really is not used much over the year. As a UCONN fan of course I want to see a renovation that could get us into a better conference.

Would everyone be willing to pay an additional UCONN tax? Could it be through a sales tax increase , gas tax or as part of the state income tax?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
OK I quickly scanned this thread and did not see anything about payment. I probably missed it. The question is how is any renovation going to be paid for? Where in the state budget will the dollars come from? If there is a diversion of funds how will that affect the state university system and community colleges? Substantial investment has already been made to upgrade the athletic facilities and in the areas of education and research. Any kind of expense has to be justified especially in regards to a facility that really is not used much over the year. As a UCONN fan of course I want to see a renovation that could get us into a better conference.

Would everyone be willing to pay an additional UCONN tax? Could it be through a sales tax increase , gas tax or as part of the state income tax?

They can frame it as an academic building. Thats what Nebraska did to get an addition to their East stadium this year. The football stadium houses all football offices, as well as a multitude of research labs for med and kinesiology students. There are study lounges, and even classrooms (sort of like the area inside gampel that currently houses Sports Management and our compliance offices). If UConn were to build an on campus stadium they would have to house multiple academic and university offices/spaces inside the stadium to get it passed through the state budget IMO. Concerts not only for UConn but for Mansfield in general would be another good use of the stadium. State fairs, high school state championships for football, soccer, lax, field hockey, etc all would/should be played there. You would have to sell it more as an investment in the entire university and state rather than just in UConn football.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
They can frame it as an academic building. Thats what Nebraska did to get an addition to their East stadium this year. The football stadium houses all football offices, as well as a multitude of research labs for med and kinesiology students. There are study lounges, and even classrooms (sort of like the area inside gampel that currently houses Sports Management and our compliance offices). If UConn were to build an on campus stadium they would have to house multiple academic and university offices/spaces inside the stadium to get it passed through the state budget IMO. Concerts not only for UConn but for Mansfield in general would be another good use of the stadium. State fairs, high school state championships for football, soccer, lax, field hockey, etc all would/should be played there. You would have to sell it more as an investment in the entire university and state rather than just in UConn football.
Have you ever been to Storrs? No offense but the people of Mansfield don't want concerts and the infrastructure wouldn't support all those cars.

Interesting points though on how these expansions get passed. I never knew that but it's pretty sly on the school's part.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Have you ever been to Storrs? No offense but the people of Mansfield don't want concerts and the infrastructure wouldn't support all those cars.

Interesting points though on how these expansions get passed. I never knew that but it's pretty sly on the school's part.

I'm a student at UConn currently. What I meant by my comment about concerts for Mansfield was just having "open" concerts during Spring/Summer months in addition to the "UConn" concerts which allow priority to students with lower ticket pricing. Bigger bands that want to come in the summer (Dave Matthews, most country singers, etc) could play there and they would have the ability to sell it as a state event rather than a UConn event is what I was getting at.

As far as the stadium constructions, its all pretty cool when you really think about what has to get done to get that kind of stuff passed. I don't really think our state legislature in CT is that much different from the state legislature in Nebraska (despite difference in conservative/liberal office holders). Its just that Nebraska has more football history and their University does a marvelous job of spinning football investments to benefit the entire university/state while still being a "football" facility. People fear building something that is so costly to the state to only get used 7 or 8 times per year, which is why they have to include all the extra amenities to go with it.Really pretty cool stuff.

Reaction Score

Schools don't have to be sly at all. They can do whatever they want. Athletics are part of universities. Schools can say, "Lookit, we're building a football stadium!"

Reaction Score
Not sure about the Rent but if you look at some of the other stadiums that have been getting upgrades the past few years $85M for 5k doesn't seem that far off from the standard since they usually also include luxury seats and other upgrades.

UNC paid $70M for 3k seats just a few years ago while Texas A&M's in the middle of a $450M project for 20k seats

On the flip side, ECU only paid $20M for 7k seats but I think that was only possible because they replaced one of the scoreboards with additional seats so they didn't need to build a whole new structure to support that.

Raw seat additions is the wrong lens to view it through.

This expansion was about PREMIUM seating that will kick a few million more in annual revenue back to them and grow their athletic budget.

Reaction Score
Raw seat additions is the wrong lens to view it through.

This expansion was about PREMIUM seating that will kick a few million more in annual revenue back to them and grow their athletic budget.

If you do the math, it doesn't hold up. We've been through this before so many times. Even with Rutgers and the addition of premium seats, the extra income can't service the $110 million in new debt. so, if it's not about revenues, then what is it about? Hmmmmm. Conference realignment?

Reaction Score
If you do the math, it doesn't hold up. We've been threw this before so many times. Even with Rutgers and the addition of premium seats, the extra income can't service the $110 million in new debt. so, if it's not about revenues, then what is it about? Hmmmmm. Conference realignment?
I can't find it right now but I am pretty sure the additions were funded by donations. So it isn't the AD taking operating revenue to do it.

Reaction Score
I can't find it right now but I am pretty sure the additions were funded by donations. So it isn't the AD taking operating revenue to do it.

Which school are we talking about? Rutgers? That was the school. Texas? That was the school. Michigan? That was the school. In fact, some of the schools dump the donations into the ADs coffers as revenues and use the academic side to bond out the whole thing.

Reaction Score
I'm a student at UConn currently. What I meant by my comment about concerts for Mansfield was just having "open" concerts during Spring/Summer months in addition to the "UConn" concerts which allow priority to students with lower ticket pricing. Bigger bands that want to come in the summer (Dave Matthews, most country singers, etc) could play there and they would have the ability to sell it as a state event rather than a UConn event is what I was getting at.

As far as the stadium constructions, its all pretty cool when you really think about what has to get done to get that kind of stuff passed. I don't really think our state legislature in CT is that much different from the state legislature in Nebraska (despite difference in conservative/liberal office holders). Its just that Nebraska has more football history and their University does a marvelous job of spinning football investments to benefit the entire university/state while still being a "football" facility. People fear building something that is so costly to the state to only get used 7 or 8 times per year, which is why they have to include all the extra amenities to go with it.Really pretty cool stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast_Theatre_(Hartford,_Connecticut)

Reaction Score

8590217.jpg

Great thought,I posted the same suggestion on a "Cuse" board about a retractable roof over the Dome instead of an expensive new stadium!Uconn would be wise to do something modern like the "roof" to make it stand apart from the typical dreary eastern stadium's!I believe this is the British Columbia example in Canada?...on second thought...if you had a retractable roof why would you need to "heat seats"?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

No offense but you are lost. Completely and totally lost.

Reaction Score

Maybe I have the last Cincinnati home game fresh in my mind. Knowing that weather will not be an issue could drive ticket sales, no?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe I have the last Cincinnati home game fresh in my mind. Knowing that weather will not be an issue could drive ticket sales, no?

I don't even know how to reply. In a decade at Rentschler there has been a half dozen games played in uncomfortable weather. I've yet to hear a person say they don't buy season tickets because maybe at the end of the season it's cold.

If there was money to spend the least return on investment would be some stupid half roof.

Reaction Score

You were really serious about the heated seats and carport roof (that won't protect you one iota from wind driven rain/snow) idea???

Pony up and buy club seats! ;)

I would hate to see my season ticket prices go up for something silly like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom