Cincy and Miami (FL) to play in 2014, 15 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cincy and Miami (FL) to play in 2014, 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Penny-wise and pound-foolish IMO -- better for brand to be playing real DI teams.

They are playing real D1 teams. Look at the schedule. Tennessee, Virginia, BYU, Boise St., all coming up. But if you get rid of the money games, you not only get rid of bowl-eligibility cinching wins, but also you crater your budget. Not to mention the precedence it sets when you're trying to schedule Tennessee in the future. Do you like watching Tennessee at the Rent? Or would you prefer a slate of San Jose State and Akron?

Reaction Score
They are playing real D1 teams. Look at the schedule. Tennessee, Virginia, BYU, Boise St., all coming up. But if you get rid of the money games, you not only get rid of bowl-eligibility cinching wins, but also you crater your budget. Not to mention the precedence it sets when you're trying to schedule Tennessee in the future. Do you like watching Tennessee at the Rent? Or would you prefer a slate of San Jose State and Akron?
Well stated Upstater. If you cave in to BC, or any other team for that matter, you will have a big "L" imprinted on your forehead. Then all future negotiations with other teams will have us dealing from a position of weakness. The reason we are not in a major conference now is because Hathaway and the administration were a bunch of wimps and did not take forceful action. If we continue to display that big L on our foreheads you can forget about getting into a major conference. It's all a matter of perception and we are perceived as wimps. All we can do is turn Blumenthal lose on them in the courts. Wow, how impressive and effective that was. Best course of action, hopefully hire a quality coach, start winning some games again and continue scheduling as we have been. We have a lot of great teams on our future schedules. We need to be vigorous in continuing to schedule teams like that, but that doesn't mean we sell our soul to do it. As far as BC goes, I view them as a mid major and don't have much of an interest in seeing them play anyway.

Reaction Score

If there were more than ONE Tennessee coming to the Rent this would be a better point. And as good as BYU and Boise are, they are not P5s. Now if Rutgers is on it for 2016-17 as said, all the better. But right now I am not comfortable with the quality of our nonconf schedule going forward.

Reaction Score
Well stated Upstater. If you cave in to BC, or any other team for that matter, you will have a big "L" imprinted on your forehead. Then all future negotiations with other teams will have us dealing from a position of weakness. The reason we are not in a major conference now is because Hathaway and the administration were a bunch of wimps and did not take forceful action. If we continue to display that big L on our foreheads you can forget about getting into a major conference. It's all a matter of perception and we are perceived as wimps. All we can do is turn Blumenthal lose on them in the courts. Wow, how impressive and effective that was. Best course of action, hopefully hire a quality coach, start winning some games again and continue scheduling as we have been. We have a lot of great teams on our future schedules. We need to be vigorous in continuing to schedule teams like that, but that doesn't mean we sell our soul to do it. As far as BC goes, I view them as a mid major and don't have much of an interest in seeing them play anyway.

This is precisely right. Buffalo was no doubt asked for a 2-for-1. They said NO. Uconn could then say, we won't play you, but Buffalo would then say, well, Syracuse and Pitt are coming in for games. Home-and-away, we'll be fine thank you. And besides, Alabama is paying us $1 million to whip our butts.

Reaction Score
If you cave in to BC, or any other team for that matter, you will have a big "L" imprinted on your forehead. Then all future negotiations with other teams will have us dealing from a position of weakness.

Uh, we're 0-9. The L thanks to Phil Austin, Hathaway, McHugh and P is clearly branded on the forehead. Scheduling like Bowden did at Florida State all those years ago -- and like Boise is doing now -- will get it it off a lot faster

Reaction Score
TBut if you get rid of the money games, you not only get rid of bowl-eligibility cinching wins

A good coach in the AAC with UConn's resources should have no trouble getting 6 wins.

Reaction Score
I just looked at Bobby Bowden's first 10 years. He was doing home and homes each and every year with Florida. He had a home and home with Auburn as well. I looked through the records and saw them giving away home games to LSU. That's where he bowed down, to that one team.

BC is not LSU.

Reaction Score
Uh, we're 0-9. The L thanks to Phil Austin, Hathaway, McHugh and P is clearly branded on the forehead. Scheduling like Bowden did at Florida State all those years ago -- and like Boise is doing now -- will get it it off a lot faster
What is Boise doing now? they've signed on for a couple of neutral site games but mostly htye do home and home's. Oregon, OState, Virginia, us, Washington and Wash State. And they recently played Michigan State in a 1 off, but if you look at their schedule it isn't exactly murders row. They have Ol' Miss in a neutral site game next year I think. They hardly play anyone anywhere. You just don't do that these days. You maybe do it in a 1-off situation if it presents itself. But to be viewed as a success, you win the games you have on the schedule. And that gets you games in bowls against "name" teams and if you win those suddenly people start to take you seriously. You start getting ranked. Start getting ranked in the pre-season...but it starts with wins, something that has eluded us this year and been very hard to come by over the past 3 years.

Reaction Score
I just looked at Bobby Bowden's first 10 years. He was doing home and homes each and every year with Florida. He had a home and home with Auburn as well. I looked through the records and saw them giving away home games to LSU. That's where he bowed down, to that one team.

BC is not LSU.

You forgot Nebraska I believe. And Florida was already locked into that schedule.

Well looks like "anytime, anywhere" not the majority view.

Reaction Score
What is Boise doing now?
The question isn't necessarily what they are doing now and in future schedules, it's what did they do before they were established as a national program. Wasn't very easy to get teams to go out and play on the blue field in Idaho so they went where they had to to build the credibility. Now Boise is much more selective.

It's only going to get harder to schedule quality FBS schools in the future.

Reaction Score

When UConn gets into a P5 they can be a little more selective. OK, a lot more. Until then, lock up as many P5s as you can get.

Reaction Score
You forgot Nebraska I believe. And Florida was already locked into that schedule.

Well looks like "anytime, anywhere" not the majority view.

Florida did it year after yer. Who knows, it may have been political. But the Florida series was 1:1 yearly for at least a decade.

Reaction Score
The question isn't necessarily what they are doing now and in future schedules, it's what did they do before they were established as a national program. Wasn't very easy to get teams to go out and play on the blue field in Idaho so they went where they had to to build the credibility. Now Boise is much more selective.

The Boise empire was built by getting flunkies who couldn't get admitted into big time schools and WINNING the big time games they scheduled. Scheduling big time opponents and getting slaughtered does nothing for us. And, as much as we think it's a big deal......nobody outside of NE will care for a game against BC. And beating them.....isn't going to garner much traction in the world of CR. In fact, it won't mean a damn thing. The damage to our perception is simply not worth scheduling this game.

Reaction Score
The Boise empire was built by getting flunkies who couldn't get admitted into big time schools and WINNING the big time games they scheduled. Scheduling big time opponents and getting slaughtered does nothing for us. And, as much as we think it's a big deal......nobody outside of NE will care for a game against BC. And beating them.....isn't going to garner much traction in the world of CR. In fact, it won't mean a damn thing. The damage to our perception is simply not worth scheduling this game.

You can't win the big time games if you don't schedule the big time games.

I was talking generically - not specific to the BC game (though I would like to see a UConn/BC series again in the future).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And, as much as we think it's a big deal......nobody outside of NE will care for a game against BC. And beating them.....isn't going to garner much traction in the world of CR. In fact, it won't mean a damn thing. The damage to our perception is simply not worth scheduling this game.

Before you rebuild national perception, you rebuild local. I don't care if the SEC could give a crap about a BC-UConn game. They're 90 miles away and the closest FBS and P5. Not playing them even on "their terms" makes UConn look like delusional p u s s i e s. I hate them, their preppie arrogance, DeFillippo's war on UConn, and everything else about The Heights. But play the damn game on an annual basis. Good programs are built on good rivalries

Reaction Score

I was talking generically - not specific to the BC game.

No one here objects to big time games.

Reaction Score
Not pride self-respect. Screw ND, BC and anyone else. If they won't play us home and home the heck with them. If you think like a loser than you are a loser!

there is a difference between thinking like a loser, and knowing what you have to do to move up. If we want to think like a 'winner' we are going to be stuck in the AAC for a long time to come

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

I don't have the link but didn't Cincinnati just ink a one-off, paycheck away game? That didn't seem to stop them from doing this series...

Reaction Score

I was talking generically - not specific to the BC game (though I would like to see a UConn/BC series again in the future).

BC is not a big time team. It would be great to play them, but only on equal terms, they are not worth bending over for. The precedent that would set would be dangerous. I'd rather see one for one's with BYU or Boise both of which are better football brands than BC.

Should we bend over and do a 3-1 for Syracuse and Rutgers too?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't have the link but didn't Cincinnati just ink a one-off, paycheck away game? That didn't seem to stop them from doing this series...

Against who?

Reaction Score
Before you rebuild national perception, you rebuild local. I don't care if the SEC could give a crap about a BC-UConn game. They're 90 miles away and the closest FBS and P5. Not playing them even on "their terms" makes UConn look like delusional p u s s i e s.

Nope, playing them on unequal terms makes UCONN look weak.

Reaction Score
Nope, playing them on unequal terms makes UCONN look weak.

umm I hate to bring this up but the reason UC looks weak is, because it is. We are an orphan on a doorstep, the big loser in CR, the last chicken wing on the plate that everyone is afraid to eat. We are the land of misfit toys at this point. As far as I see it, especially after this year, I would be glad that any P5 team would play us, on any terms

Reaction Score

BC is not a big time team. It would be great to play them, but only on equal terms, they are not worth bending over for. The precedent that would set would be dangerous. I'd rather see one for one's with BYU or Boise both of which are better football brands than BC.

Should we bend over and do a 3-1 for Syracuse and Rutgers too?

Cripes - What part of "I was talking generically - not specific to the BC game" did you miss?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc