Cincy and Miami (FL) to play in 2014, 15 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cincy and Miami (FL) to play in 2014, 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO it's important to get the series restarted and if some pride-swallowing has to be done at the start, no big deal. If the deal proves financially successful for both schools, then it can be a straight home-and-home in the next contract.

Pride is what blew up the ND deal. Easily a top 10 reason why things turned out they did in CR, if not top five.

It's one thing to foolishly refuse to make concessions to ND (which, by the way, nobody knows exactly what happened). But it's another thing to make concessions to Boston College. We might as well rebuild Memorial Stadium.

Reaction Score
It's one thing to foolishly refuse to make concessions to ND (which, by the way, nobody knows exactly what happened). But it's another thing to make concessions to Boston College. We might as well rebuild Memorial Stadium.

Respectfully disagree with that position. I stand behind no man in my hatred of BC for many many reasons but in the long run the rumored deal is good in the short-term for UConn. Besides, no matter where the neutral is played, most likely Gillette, UConn should have the upper hand in crowd size. Hopefully we will have moved on from the dumpster fire by then.

The state legislators (especially that goofball from East Hartford) getting involved in reducing the initial proposed UConn-ND deal is played a very, very big role in killing it.

Reaction Score
How about ONE in Chestnut Hill, one at the Rent and TWO at Gillette. Let's not start playing second class citizen to BCU (giving them two true home games).
How about 2 at the Rent, 1 in Chestnut Hill, and i in Gillette. F BC. We don't need to give them 3 games in MA vs 1 here.

Reaction Score
IMO it's important to get the series restarted and if some pride-swallowing has to be done at the start, no big deal. If the deal proves financially successful for both schools, then it can be a straight home-and-home in the next contract.

Pride is what blew up the ND deal. Easily a top 10 reason why things turned out they did in CR, if not top five.
Not pride self-respect. Screw ND, BC and anyone else. If they won't play us home and home the heck with them. If you think like a loser than you are a loser!

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree with that position. I stand behind no man in my hatred of BC for many many reasons but in the long run the rumored deal is good in the short-term for UConn. Besides, no matter where the neutral is played, most likely Gillette, UConn should have the upper hand in crowd size. Hopefully we will have moved on from the dumpster fire by then.

The state legislators (especially that goofball from East Hartford) getting involved in reducing the initial proposed UConn-ND deal is played a very, very big role in killing it.

It is a complete fantasy that we would have more fans in Gillette than BC.

Reaction Score
I don't particularly think our scheduling is awful going forward. Virginia, Tennessee BYU, Boise are all nice games. Rutgers is a regional rival,and those kind of games are always good I think. BC and UMass would be nice rivalries, too. One of the big things being lost in all the conference re-alignment is the regional rivalries that were so much a part of college football and really made the game interesting. I actually think in some ways the small colleges have some interesting ideas. the little 3 (Wesleyan, Williams , Amherst) the CBB )Colby Bates Bowdoin) are examples of competitions that make the season interesting even when a particular team is having an off year. The commander in Chief's trophy between Army, navy and Air Force is the only 1A series I can think of that is similar. Something like that with UConn, UMass and BC would be a fun event. It has no chance of happening but it would be great for New England College football just the same.

Reaction Score
It is a complete fantasy that we would have more fans in Gillette than BC.

If UConn program gets back on the upswing and it's an early season game I'd bet UConn fans would outnumber BCs. Would be nice to see who would be right.

Reaction Score
Not pride self-respect. Screw ND, BC and anyone else. If they won't play us home and home the heck with them. If you think like a loser than you are a loser!

The "only play P5 teams on our terms or not at all" is not a prescription to get into a P5 conference. Self-respect goeth before the fall.

Reaction Score
I heard last week that a series of 4 games with BC was pretty close to getting done. Every other year starting in 2016, two in Chestnut Hill one at the Rent and one at Gillette with a 50/50 split. Did not post here since I was skeptical. Given the article today in the Courant giving BC MBB coach quotes who knows this may have legs.

Warde should be ridden out on a rail if he did that.

Reaction Score

Buffalo never ever took anything less than a 1 for 1 from UConn, and this was back when UConn was BCS.

Reaction Score
The "only play P5 teams on our terms or not at all" is not a prescription to get into a P5 conference. Self-respect goeth before the fall.

?? I don't get it. UConn has been playing teams on a 1 to 1 basis for a long while now. What makes BC better than Tennessee, Michigan, Virginia, BYU, Boise St, Indiana, Maryland, etc.?

Reaction Score
?? I don't get it. UConn has been playing teams on a 1 to 1 basis for a long while now. What makes BC better than Tennessee, Michigan, Virginia, BYU, Boise St, Indiana, Maryland, etc.?

Certainly nothing makes BC "better". It's a unique situation. They're the closest FBS school to UConn. Depends on your point of view on what you want to "give up" to play them. I'd give up Stony Brook and Villanova, for starters. I find the lack of nonconf opponents on future schedules a little troubling. Again get the series started on their "terms" then be patient and let it turn into the 1-1 it should be.

Reaction Score
anyone.jpg

Reaction Score
Well done Medic. The Bobby Bowden 1970s-80s Florida State scheduling philosophy would suit UConn very well in these times.

Reaction Score
I personally don't get the value of playing a neutral site game against BC or anyone else, unless its a smaller neutral site game. Fenway or FauxYankee Stadium makes sense. Metlife or Gillette don't. Nothing says big time like 35-40,000 in a 70,000 seat stadium...Those venues are too big. did anyone watch Syracuse-USC at the meadowlands? Embarrassing for all concerned. UConn-BC, UConn-Rutgers, games like that need to be home-home. they'll sell out as home games. They will fill 65% of the seats, maybe, as neutral site games.

Reaction Score
Well done Medic. The Bobby Bowden 1970s-80s Florida State scheduling philosophy would suit UConn very well in these times.

We have a national perception problem as a football program (and just not the past 3 years) - we need to earn respect and while "just win" sounds like a good way, it needs to be against brand names and sometimes may require a stretch in traditional geography and/or deal making.

I get all the arguments for and against anything past the traditional 1:1 (especially as it involves BC)- it's just my opinion.

Reaction Score
We have a national perception problem as a football program (and just not the past 3 years) - we need to earn respect and while "just win" sounds like a good way, it needs to be against brand names and sometimes may require a stretch in traditional geography and/or deal making.

I get all the arguments for and against anything past the traditional 1:1 (especially as it involves BC)- it's just my opinion.

I agree. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Reaction Score
Certainly nothing makes BC "better". It's a unique situation. They're the closest FBS school to UConn. Depends on your point of view on what you want to "give up" to play them. I'd give up Stony Brook and Villanova, for starters. I find the lack of nonconf opponents on future schedules a little troubling. Again get the series started on their "terms" then be patient and let it turn into the 1-1 it should be.

If you give up Villanova (and your free home games, no return), you also give up $50 x 30k and concessions + parking. Say another $15 ($15 parking per 3 people, $5 a head + $10 food & drink) x 30k. $1.5 to $2.5m minus Villanova's payout.

This is a board that constantly complains that the BE TV money is $1.7m more than the AAC payout money.

Reaction Score
If UConn program gets back on the upswing and it's an early season game I'd bet UConn fans would outnumber BCs. Would be nice to see who would be right.

I would guess about 50k (that's aggressive) would show with 20k UConn fans. Maybe. Might be closer to 40k with 15k our fans.

Reaction Score
If you give up Villanova (and your free home games, no return), you also give up $50 x 30k and concessions + parking. Say another $15 ($15 parking per 3 people, $5 a head + $10 food & drink) x 30k. $1.5 to $2.5m minus Villanova's payout.

This is a board that constantly complains that the BE TV money is $1.7m more than the AAC payout money.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish IMO -- better for brand to be playing real DI teams.

Reaction Score
I would guess about 50k (that's aggressive) would show with 20k UConn fans. Maybe. Might be closer to 40k with 15k our fans.

If it's the first game of the renewed rivalry, UConn has gotten better by then and has a coach the fanbase has connected with - a coach who will sell the value of this game to the fans the same way he hopefully will have sold the program by that point -- I believe UConn capable of doing much, much better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom