Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or is it a bit odd to say YOU have narrowed it down to ONLY 14?

depends how you look at it...............according to one report there are 2,369 four year colleges in the United States.......:D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is it just me, or is it a bit odd to say YOU have narrowed it down to ONLY 14?
Not really, l she only 15 years old and just began to blow up with the dunk (Winter of '16? ) , rising to #2 in ESPN (spring '17) ( bouncing back and forth between her age group and Canadian National team (Summer '17). I'm just happy UCONN is in the running. Top 14 at this point is appropriate.

Reaction Score
Maybe UCONN missed those shots, was out hustled by Miss. St and exhausted because our player were bone ass tired from racking up so many minutes during the season. Never know a UCONN team to get out hustled. Not blaming any single player or the coaches, but even two or three minutes rest in an OT game might have made a difference. If you want to bring it down to one play though, William game winning shot was was over the outstretch arms of 5'11" Gabby Williams.
Opinions vary. Agree with some of both posts but personally felt UConn would have won even with all the other issues if they had a solid point guard, particularly one who played defense and could have shut down the drives to the basket. This was an issue entire year that UConn's other strengths overcame. Put Montgomery or most UConn level point guards on team and they won going away by 10-15.

Reaction Score
Maybe UCONN missed those shots, was out hustled by Miss. St and exhausted because our player were bone ass tired from racking up so many minutes during the season. Never know a UCONN team to get out hustled. Not blaming any single player or the coaches, but even two or three minutes rest in an OT game might have made a difference. If you want to bring it down to one play though, William game winning shot was was over the outstretch arms of 5'11" Gabby Williams.
Opinions vary. Agree with some of both posts but personally felt UConn would have won even with all the other issues if they had a solid point guard, particularly one who played defense and could have shut down the drives to the basket. This was an issue entire year that UConn's other strengths overcame. Put Montgomery or most UConn level point guards on team and they won going away by 10-15.

Reaction Score

You think a "skilled post" would have been guarding WIlliam on that shot? No chance!

Reaction Score

So how would having a "skilled post" have helped any more than having another skilled guard?

Reaction Score
@YellwJcket999 post makes perfect sense. The current UCONN roster needs ONO more than it does Christyn Williams. Many of us have said this, but feel free to disagree. Geno can coach ONO just as well as he can coach Christyn, my preference is that he coach both. BTW if you have to go to wiki to remember what position Sevet played that's not a good luck and she's wasn't 6'2"-just sayin.

I would like to see Uconn get both Williams and ONO, both player fit a need and would see plenty of minutes early if they work hard in practice. Once Kia graduates who starts at the shooting guard spot for Uconn ? It could be Lou, but Geno said he’s not starting Z because he doesn’t want his All Americans playing out of position. He could go with Bent or Coombs, but I think Williams would fit in perfectly at shooting guard for Uconn.

Reaction Score
If Uconn had Moriah, Stew, Tuck I have a reasonable belief that Uconn would have beaten Miss St, Maybe. If anyone would take on the persona of Geno during the critical parts of that game I would ask them: What would you do? He was limited beyond 5 players, who were nearly mentally and physically exhausted. He brought in Natalie and she was quickly overwhelmned. Danger gave Saniya good (not great) relief. One or two bad decisions by players gave the advantage to Miss St. But Uconn needed a BIG not a PG to win that game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So how would having a "skilled post" have helped any more than having another skilled guard?
UCONN had another skilled guard in Crystal who played 17 minutes in that game. If UCONN had another skilled post player that could have given us just 17 Minutes that is 5 less minutes each for Gabby (44Mins) ,Napheesa (36), KLS (45 Mins).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would like to see Uconn get both Williams and ONO, both player fit a need and would see plenty of minutes early if they work hard in practice. Once Kia graduates who starts at the shooting guard spot for Uconn ? It could be Lou, but Geno said he’s not starting Z because he doesn’t want his All Americans playing out of position. He could go with Bent or Coombs, but I think Williams would fit in perfectly at shooting guard for Uconn.
If CW doesn't come to UCONN I like (not love) Megan in that SG starting position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You think a "skilled post" would have been guarding WIlliam on that shot? No chance!
Is Gabby not a skilled post? I thought we had established that.

Reaction Score
Is Gabby not a skilled post? I thought we had established that.

You made the point that William made the shot over a 5'11 Gabby. I thought you were suggesting that if UConn had a taller post, they would have blocked the shot. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant in your post?

Reaction Score
If CW doesn't come to UCONN I like (not love) Megan in that SG starting position.

In my opinion, Walker is much better suited to play the 3 than the 2. Her size and mid range game will really shine at the 3. Walker has not yet(through high school, AAU, and USA basketball) proven the ability to consistently knock down 3 pt shots yet, that is a skill that I think the 2 needs to have.

Reaction Score
If Uconn had Moriah, Stew, Tuck I have a reasonable belief that Uconn would have beaten Miss St, Maybe. If anyone would take on the persona of Geno during the critical parts of that game I would ask them: What would you do? He was limited beyond 5 players, who were nearly mentally and physically exhausted. He brought in Natalie and she was quickly overwhelmned. Danger gave Saniya good (not great) relief. One or two bad decisions by players gave the advantage to Miss St. But Uconn needed a BIG not a PG to win that game.

All the evidence you need to show that guards are more important is that the 2 most important plays in that loss to Miss St. were made by guards. The decision by Chong to drive instead of holding for last shot and the buzzer beater made by William. Guards handle the ball exponentially more than posts and that allows guards to influence the game more. That is why good guard play is key in tournament time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In my opinion, Walker is much better suited to play the 3 than the 2. Her size and mid range game will really shine at the 3. Walker has not yet(through high school, AAU, and USA basketball) proven the ability to consistently knock down 3 pt shots yet, that is a skill that I think the 2 needs to have.
I agree with you that Walker is a better 2 than 3. If Walker plays the 3 next year where are you going to play KLS?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All the evidence you need to show that guards are more important is that the 2 most important plays in that loss to Miss St. were made by guards. The decision by Chong to drive instead of holding for last shot and the buzzer beater made by William. Guards handle the ball exponentially more than posts and that allows guards to influence the game more. That is why good guard play is key in tournament time.
That's not evidence at all. You don't get to designate the "most important plays" of the game because it fits your theory. Geno paraphrased:

"No one play or player cost us that game it was a set of circumstances that we were not ready to handle. Miss. State kept coming at us, so give them some credit. "

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You made the point that William made the shot over a 5'11 Gabby. I thought you were suggesting that if UConn had a taller post, they would have blocked the shot. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant in your post?
That is what I was suggesting. I also prefaced it by saying "If you want to look at just one play in the game likewhen you mention Saniya drive or Napheesa missed FT, or Kia missing two wide open three then we could just as easily look at itty bitty's shot over Gabby.

Reaction Score
No point in continuing the discussion---but stupid me, I shall. If Azura had been in that game, regardless of who was in the guard position (on that particular team) the game would not have been in OT and Itty Bitty would not have had a shot to take. Gabby and Collier were no match for the Big(s) of Ms St. They did well but needed more, a mobile 6 4/ or 6 5 would have done that. (Natalie a nice person was outclassed)

Reaction Score
No point in continuing the discussion---but stupid me, I shall. If Azura had been in that game, regardless of who was in the guard position (on that particular team) the game would not have been in OT and Itty Bitty would not have had a shot to take. Gabby and Collier were no match for the Big(s) of Ms St. They did well but needed more, a mobile 6 4/ or 6 5 would have done that. (Natalie a nice person was outclassed)

If UConn had an additional guard of Stevens caliber in that game they would not have been in OT either.

What did the bigs of Miss St. do that was game changing? McCowan and Okorie combined to have 17 pts and 12 rebounds. They played well but were far from game changing.

Reaction Score
That is what I was suggesting. I also prefaced it by saying "If you want to look at just one play in the game likewhen you mention Saniya drive or Napheesa missed FT, or Kia missing two wide open three then we could just as easily look at itty bitty's shot over Gabby.

If that is what you were suggesting you need to go back and watch the tape. The only reason Williams had a chance to block that shot, was because she wasn't guarding the post. She was above the foul line, switching on a pick. A spot a BIG would never have been in. The BIG would have been in Collier's spot, guarding the post. So you thinking that having a BIG in that game, on that play, would have made a difference is simply inaccurate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If UConn had an additional guard of Stevens caliber in that game they would not have been in OT either. What did the bigs of Miss St. do that was game changing? McCowan and Okorie combined to have 17 pts and 12 rebounds. They played well but were far from game changing.
McCowan was the starter so lets look at Okorie by herself. Okorie played 20 minutes got 7 point and 4 rebounds. So by herself Okorie had more minutes, points and rebounds than the entire UCONN bench. Not to mention that both both Okorie and McGown had like 50 pounds each on Gabby and Napheesa. See it now?

Reaction Score
McCowan was the starter so lets look at Okorie by herself. Okorie played 20 minutes got 7 point and 4 rebounds. So by herself Okorie had more minutes, points and rebounds than the entire UCONN bench. Not to mention that both both Okorie and McGown had like 50 pounds each on Gabby and Napheesa. See it now?

No, I don't see anything. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If that is what you were suggesting you need to go back and watch the tape. The only reason Williams had a chance to block that shot, was because she wasn't guarding the post. She was above the foul line, switching on a pick. A spot a BIG would never have been in. The BIG would have been in Collier's spot, guarding the post. So you thinking that having a BIG in that game, on that play, would have made a difference is simply inaccurate.
That is not correct. In the UCONN defense, since forever, the Big must come over and contest that shot. If you don't come over and contest that shot you find yourself sitting on the pine next to Geno. You really think Gabby was there by accident?

Reaction Score
That is not correct. In the UCONN defense, since forever, the Big must come over and contest that shot. If you don't come over and contest that shot you find yourself sitting on the pine next to Geno. You really think Gabby was there by accident?

Watch the film. Williams is NOT guarding the post, Collier is!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom