Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC

JS

Reaction Score
A’ja Wilson slander shows up.

Obsessed with the one that got away.
1. Slander is too strong a word.

2. You're talking, I presume, about one post from one of our most partisan fans.

3 Even so, you're ascribing invidious motive for an observation that's been made here about lots of people. The Stewie car hood has gotten more mileage than the car itself.

Yeah, you don't like it, but consider rolling with it a bit more given the environs.

Reaction Score
So.... Before I start this post.. I haven't read any of the previous 13 pages of posts. I don't know what all the slander(?)/A'ja/Christyn talk is about.
I just want to know do we/Uconn need another guard, even if she is 5'11 and the number 1 recruit in the country? (We can always use a #1 in the country player). My point is that I would rather we pick up Olivia Nelson-Ododa 6'4" rather than potentially having a year or so without a big woman down low.

We have:
  1. Dangerfield - 2020
  2. Bent-2020
  3. AEH 2021
  4. Coombs 2021
  5. Christyn-2022?
I think we will be alright without another guard. I don't know if Walker is athletic as Gabby (I may be totally wrong) but I don't see her out rebounding/blocking 6'4+ players like Gabby. So give me a post player rather another guard.

Now....I will go back and read some of the 13 pages of comments. I will probably laugh-at/be-mad-at some of the comments. SMH the season hasn't even started in earnest yet.

Reaction Score
Christyn Williams thread.

A’ja Wilson slander shows up.

Obsessed with the one that got away.

Ho-hum.

For clarification:
Slander is done verbally.
Libel is written.
By definition, you can't commit slander on the Boneyard forum.
(Though you can post hyperbole)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So.... Before I start this post.. I haven't read any of the previous 13 pages of posts. I don't know what all the slander(?)/A'ja/Christyn talk is about.
I just want to know do we/Uconn need another guard, even if she is 5'11 and the number 1 recruit in the country? (We can always use a #1 in the country player). My point is that I would rather we pick up Olivia Nelson-Ododa 6'4" rather than potentially having a year or so without a big woman down low.

We have:
  1. Dangerfield - 2020
  2. Bent-2020
  3. AEH 2021
  4. Coombs 2021
  5. Christyn-2022?
I think we will be alright without another guard. I don't know if Walker is athletic as Gabby (I may be totally wrong) but I don't see her out rebounding/blocking 6'4+ players like Gabby. So give me a post player rather another guard.

Now....I will go back and read some of the 13 pages of comments. I will probably laugh-at/be-mad-at some of the comments. SMH the season hasn't even started in earnest yet.
I tend to agree. CW gives us one more super talented g/w when we’re loaded for the next 4 yrs, while ONO gives us a much needed athletic BIG.

If we don’t get ONO or by some small miracle, the Aussie, it puts a lot pressure on the Huskies to land Boston & Brunelle the following year, and hope that Z hangs around for another season.

Reaction Score

We have:
  1. Dangerfield - 2020
  2. Bent-2020
  3. AEH 2021
  4. Coombs 2021
  5. Christyn-2022?

clearly a post player is the team's number one need, unfortunately the consensus is that ONO is somewhat less then likely to choose UConn..........any team in the country could use a talented recruit like CW and I'll be thrilled if she signs with UConn..........like my mother always told me "you get what you get and you don't get upset"

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

We have:
  1. Dangerfield - 2020
  2. Bent-2020
  3. AEH 2021
  4. Coombs 2021
  5. Christyn-2022?

We need both, but probably need Christyn more. A bonafide scorer at guard.. we haven’t had that since maybe Tiffany Mitchell. Gray and Davis could’ve been had Wilson and Coates not been at SC the same time. Next year we’ll probably have 3 or 4 post players.. with two of them, Harrigan and Grissett, being more like swing players (guards/forwards). Our only true post will be Jennings (if she stays) and a sophomore in LaDazhia Williams... so we could use Nelson-Ododa too..

It seems like we need Williams more and y’all need Nelson-Ododa more... but something tells me we’ll get Olivia and y’all will get Christyn.

OR, both end up at UConn.

OR, Olivia picks Duke and Christyn STILL goes to UConn.

Reaction Score
We need both, but probably need Christyn more. A bonafide scorer at guard.. we haven’t had that since maybe Tiffany Mitchell. Gray and Davis could’ve been had Wilson and Coates not been at SC the same time. Next year we’ll probably have 3 or 4 post players.. with two of them, Harrigan and Grissett, being more like swing players (guards/forwards). Our only true post will be Jennings (if she stays) and a sophomore in LaDazhia Williams... so we could use Nelson-Ododa too..

It seems like we need Williams more and y’all need Nelson-Ododa more... but something tells me we’ll get Olivia and y’all will get Christyn.

Jennings is will stay, she’s not that WNBA caliber of a player to leave early.

Reaction Score

I wish we could just make that deal but it doesn't quite work that way......unfortunately those darn kids have something to say about it..........:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes UCONN needs another guard that is capable of competing for minutes at SG on day 1 just like Kia Nurse did. Christyn Williams best fits the bill in the next two recruiting classes. UCONN needs a post player more but we also need a guard. If UCONN doesn't get a contributing Guard & Post in 2018, Senior Crystal could potentially be relying on two (perhaps 3) Freshmen starters among the starting 5 to replace graduated Napheesa, KLS and Azura.
As you said the season has barely started yet and that contributing player might still emerge from among the current players. The last UCONN team that was that dependent on Freshmen (Dolson, Walker, Hartley) was 2010 and that team took a while and the addition of a transcendent player to return to Championship status.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

We have:
  1. Dangerfield - 2020
  2. Bent-2020
  3. AEH 2021
  4. Coombs 2021
  5. Christyn-2022?

I don't think many players are as athletic as Gabby, though Meg is very athletic. She's strong and will get stronger. She's also about 1.5" taller than Gabby and may have longer arms.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. CW gives us one more super talented g/w when we’re loaded for the next 4 yrs, while ONO gives us a much needed athletic BIG.

If we don’t get ONO or by some small miracle, the Aussie, it puts a lot pressure on the Huskies to land Boston & Brunelle the following year, and hope that Z hangs around for another season.

"Much needed" is an understatement. Whether UConn lands ONO or not, they still must continue put a full court press on Boston & Brunelle and the Aussie Ezi. UConn needs to land some elite top ranked BIGS. The last BIG they signed I believe was Brianna Stewart in 2012. However, like Lou, Stewie was not a post player. I distinctly remember when several of her teammates made it a point to remind everyone that "Stewie ain't no post". :eek:

Stokes was the last "post" player signed in 2011, that was 6 years (classes) ago. UConn needs to return to the old days when the ability to sign elite top ranked BIGS was an after thought. This current drought needs to be over...........now!! Thank heaven for transfers. Two years from now (2020 and beyond), if UConn is still height challenged, it will not be a problem during the regular season. They will still be able to overpower most teams. The challenge will come during the tournament when matched up with teams (Texas) with elite BIGS. Come March, Williams and Butler will not walk through the door.

Williams and Collier came to Storrs for 2015-16, and they apprenticed under stars Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck. When those seniors became the top three picks in the 2016 WNBA draft, Collier and Samuelson moved squarely into the spotlight from the "on deck circle" or the "wings" (a play on words).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

We have:
  1. Dangerfield - 2020
  2. Bent-2020
  3. AEH 2021
  4. Coombs 2021
  5. Christyn-2022?

Obviously from your post you definitely do not know Geno Auriemma. He lives by the recruiting rule that you can never have too many guards. His recruiting since he came here shows a preference for guards over tall forwards and post players. You have no chance arguing against that philosophy, and his philosophy, of the women's game. Ten national championships and 18 trips to the final four, proves one thing. Go after Christyn Williams full tilt and offer the 6'6" girl from Australia or the project from upstate NY or Massachusetts.

Reaction Score
All of the above,
+ Keep an eye out for that next high impact transfer which has become a reality of WCBB.

Why does Laeticia Amihere get no respect on this board. I think Brunelle is presently ahead of her skill wise, but Amihere has more physical potential. Let's try for both!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Obviously from your post you definitely do not know Geno Auriemma. He lives by the recruiting rule that you can never have too many guards. His recruiting since he came here shows a preference for guards over tall forwards and post players. You have no chance arguing against that philosophy, and his philosophy, of the women's game. Ten national championships and 18 trips to the final four, proves one thing. Go after Christyn Williams full tilt and offer the 6'6" girl from Australia or the project from upstate NY or Massachusetts.
I'm not sure that's the case. I don't think Geno has a recruiting preference for guards over forwards or post. If you go by the players that are on the Wall of Honor there are more Post and Forwards than there are guards.

upload_2017-11-4_15-35-24.png

Reaction Score
Why does Laeticia Amihere get no respect on this board. I think Brunelle is presently ahead of her skill wise, but Amihere has more physical potential. Let's try for both!

I don't think it's a matter of respect, it's just that she doesn't post too often and there's not a whole lot of reporting on her.........Brunelle is big on twitter and she's in the thick of things in AAU write ups............Brunelle is clearly the more skilled player but Amihere could be quite a force on the court under Geno & Co's tutelage............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@mudcat you got to check in more often. A few of us have been on the Amihere bandwagon big time and it was reported in July (??) that she is indeed considering UCONN.
One poster (maybe it was me) called her the "best perimeter defender, for her size, he's ever seen.

Reaction Score
@mudcat you got to check in more often. A few of us have been on the Amihere bandwagon big time and it was reported in July (??) that she is indeed considering UCONN.
One poster (maybe it was me) called her the "best perimeter defender, for her size, he's ever seen.

somebody asked in an earlier post if Walker was as athletic as Gabby..........she's not but Amihere is, plus she's taller with an enormous wingspan to boot.........her issues are going to be at the offensive end of the court

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
somebody asked in an earlier post if Walker was as athletic as Gabby.....she's not but Amihere is, plus she's taller with an enormous wingspan to boot....her issues are going to be at the offensive end of the court
No issues on the offensive end of the court for Amihere. She has good handles and mid range. She not in stretch four mode quite yet but she has nice form on her jumper.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's the case. I don't think Geno has a recruiting preference for guards over forwards or post. If you go by the players that are on the Wall of Honor there are more Post and Forwards than there are guards.

View attachment 25887
Wasn't Gabby recruited as a guard then changed or am I mistaken?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wasn't Gabby recruited as a guard then changed or am I mistaken?
Yes Gabby was recruited as guard, but got on this list playing Center. KLS could also be on the Forward/ Post side of the ledger but the point still remains Geno recruits basketball players.

Reaction Score
Yes Gabby was recruited as guard, but got on this list playing Center. KLS could also be on the Forward/ Post side of the ledger but the point still remains Geno recruits basketball players.
I agree and understand just checking since change of position

Reaction Score
No issues on the offensive end of the court for Amihere. She has good handles and mid range. She not in stretch four mode quite yet but she has nice form on her jumper.

didn't see much outside shooting from here during international play.......I would compare her to Aquira deCosta as more of a power slasher then an outside shooting threat..........she's going to need somewhat of a decent shot or the defense will just sag off her to prevent the drive..........that's the same concern some have for deCosta.........here's what ESPN says (you'll notice no mention of her shooting )

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2017: Explosively athletic-4 pounds glass, finishes vs. contact; defends any position on the floor; anticipates passing lanes with pogo-stick hops; face up game delivery is key component to next level impact. (Olson)

She's Got Game Classic-December 2016: Ultra-athletic and versatile-4 with next level impact; superior length, wingspan defends in pressure, disrupts passing lanes; mid-post face up game exploits with quick 1st-step attack; pounds the glass, finishes in traffic vs. contact; among the most athletic prospects in any class. (Olson)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom