Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It's good to know she has interest in Uconn.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's the case. I don't think Geno has a recruiting preference for guards over forwards or post. If you go by the players that are on the Wall of Honor there are more Post and Forwards than there are guards.

View attachment 25887
I think it is the case. It's already been pointed out that Gabby was recruited as a guard. On top of that Kerry Bascom, KML, Maya Moore were all pure shooters, calling any of them post players or Morgan Tuck like forwards is a joke. Even the great Maya scored most of her points in the half court well outside the key, and the points scored on layups were on fast breaks, created by lightening fast guards or small forwards like Maya who many times picked a point guards pocket and got an easy layup. Your list also has Swin Cash who was only 6ft tall. Post players in the women's game are important for sure, but the women's game is a guard or small forward's game. That's why I disagree with "Yellowjacket's original post, where he she says to take 6'4" Nelson-Ododa over the 5' 11" Christyn Williams. If Geno had recruited many, many 6'4" post stars to dominate the key like a Stanford or a Tennessee, instead of guards and quick small forward's who could shoot and handle the ball in the open court like Diana, Maya, Shea, Sue, KML, Swin, Barbara Turner, Ann Strother, Kalana Greene, Tiffany Hayes, Jenn Rizzoti, Kelly Faris, and many others, I don't think UConn would have 10 national championships. He'd still have a few but not ten. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it is the case. It's already been pointed out that Gabby was recruited as a guard. On top of that Kerry Bascom, KML, Maya Moore were all pure shooters, calling any of them post players or Morgan Tuck like forwards is a joke. Even the great Maya scored most of her points in the half court well outside the key, and the points scored on layups were on fast breaks, created by lightening fast guards or small forwards like Maya who many times picked a point guards pocket and got an easy layup. Your list also has Swin Cash who was only 6ft tall. Post players in the women's game are important for sure, but the women's game is a guard or small forward's game. That's why I disagree with "Yellowjacket's original post, where he she says to take 6'4" Nelson-Ododa over the 5' 11" Christyn Williams. If Geno had recruited many, many 6'4" post stars to dominate the key like a Stanford or a Tennessee, instead of guards and quick small forward's who could shoot and handle the ball in the open court like Diana, Maya, Shea, Sue, KML, Swin, Barbara Turner, Ann Strother, Kalana Greene, Tiffany Hayes, Jenn Rizzoti, Kelly Faris, and many others, I don't think UConn would have 10 national championships. He'd still have a few but not ten. Lol

Hmmmm.... i believe they have 11 championships

Reaction Score
Wikipedia has Sveta listed as a 6'2" forward that puts coco's list shorter on the guatdd side hurting your case not all forwards can play post and only 1 guard can play post Gabby. Yes Geno has 11 championships lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmmm.... i believe they have 11 championships
I thought they did too, but checked Wiki just to be sure, and Wiki's list only lists ten. The 2014 NC is not listed at the head of the article. Was too lazy to read through the whole thing. Last time I go by a Wikpedia article. Lol

Reaction Score
Wikipedia has Sveta listed as a 6'2" forward that puts coco's list shorter on the guatdd side hurting your case not all forwards can play post and only 1 guard can play post Gabby. Yes Geno has 11 championships lol
Sevetlana could play any position in college, she played as a shooting small forward. Btw Wikipedia has her listed as a "small" forward. My original post was not in rebuttal to anything Coco said but to Yellowjacket's ridiculous assertion about taking a 6'4" post player instead of the number one player in the class, who is 5'11" and can play guard or small forward. On making recruiting decisions for the team, my money's on Geno not Yellow jacket or Coco.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Post players in the women's game are important for sure, but the women's game is a guard or small forward's game.
And how did that (not having a tall or skilled enough skilled post player) work out for UCONN last year or for Senior Maya Moore?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sevetlana could play any position in college, she played as a shooting small forward. Btw Wikipedia has her listed as a "small" forward. My original post was not in rebuttal to anything Coco said but to Yellowjacket's ridiculous assertion about taking a 6'4" post player instead of the number one player in the class, who is 5'11" and can play guard or small forward.
@YellwJcket999 post makes perfect sense. The current UCONN roster needs ONO more than it does Christyn Williams. Many of us have said this, but feel free to disagree. Geno can coach ONO just as well as he can coach Christyn, my preference is that he coach both. BTW if you have to go to wiki to remember what position Sevet played that's not a good luck and she's wasn't 6'2"-just sayin.

Reaction Score
And how did that (not having a tall or skilled enough skilled post player) work out for UCONN last year or for Senior Maya Moore?

You honestly think not having a post is why UConn lost to Miss St. last year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You honestly think not having a post is why UConn lost to Miss St. last year?
Please re-read what I wrote.
"not having a tall or skilled enough skilled post player."

UCONN had Gabby and Napheesa playing in the post they have all the skill in the world but the are 6'1" and 5'11" =not tall enough.
UCONN had Natalie Butler on the bench who was 6'5"=not skilled enough to impact a FF game.

Reaction Score
Are you seriously basing your whole 20 or 30 year premise on one final four OT loss last year??? Even so, if Nurse hadn't had such an off game and scored more than 6 points, you could make the argument that guard play could've won the day for UConn, not a 6'6" post. As to Maya's senior year, Dotty's injury made that season a tough one, and even so Uconn's loss to Notre Dame was not because of lack of a post or height in general, it was because of their perimeter defense on Skylar Diggins. She beat UConn not a ND post player.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you seriously basing your whole 20 or 30 year premise on one final four OT loss last year???
Obviously not, senior Maya graduated in 2011.

Reaction Score
Please re-read what I wrote.
"not having a tall or skilled enough skilled post player."

UCONN had Gabby and Napheesa playing in the post they have all the skill in the world but the are 6'1" and 5'11" =not tall enough.
UCONN had Natalie Butler on the bench who was 6'5"=not skilled enough to impact a FF game.

That's not why they lost the game though. They lost the game because Collier missed shots that she usually makes in her sleep, because Miss St. out hustled UConn all over the floor and got nearly every 50/50 ball, because UConn couldn't make any free throws down the stretch when it counted, because UConn was absolutely exhausted in OT due to their complete lack of a bench, and because unfortunately Chong made one of the worst decisions of her career in the biggest spot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@YellwJcket999 post makes perfect sense. The current UCONN roster needs ONO more than it does Christyn Williams. Many of us have said this, but feel free to disagree. Geno can coach ONO just as well as he can coach Christyn, my preference is that he coach both. BTW if you have to go to wiki to remember what position Sevet played that's not a good luck and she's wasn't 6'2"-just sayin.
You quoted Wiki incorrectly, not me, I was just responding and pointing that out. As to the rest of your post about Christyn vs Ododa, I'll just have to respectfully disagree.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

UConn had a tall and skilled post player Maya's senior year. Her name is Stef Dolson. What Stef lacked was experience and maturity. Stef and Bria played like freshmen that night.

UConn had more than enough talent to beat MSU in the semis and didn't lose because of the lack of a tall, skilled post player.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You quoted Wiki incorrectly, not me, I was just responding and pointing that out. As to the rest of your post about Christyn vs Ododa, I'll just have to respectfully disagree.
Don't think so.
Btw Wikipedia has her listed as a "small" forward.

Reaction Score
Actually I quoted Wikipedia not Coco and a forward is a forward I know the difference between a 3 and 4 but a forward is not a guard. Yes u just blamed you 10 championships statement to Wikipedia so just like Wikipedia I shouldn't believe what you say

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's not why they lost the game though. They lost the game because Collier missed shots that she usually makes in her sleep, because Miss St. out hustled UConn all over the floor and got nearly every 50/50 ball, because UConn couldn't make any free throws down the stretch when it counted, because UConn was absolutely exhausted in OT due to their complete lack of a bench, and because unfortunately Chong made one of the worst decisions of her career in the biggest spot.
Maybe UCONN missed those shots, was out hustled by Miss. St and exhausted because our player were bone ass tired from racking up so many minutes during the season. Never know a UCONN team to get out hustled. Not blaming any single player or the coaches, but even two or three minutes rest in an OT game might have made a difference. If you want to bring it down to one play though, William game winning shot was was over the outstretch arms of 5'11" Gabby Williams.

Reaction Score
Actually I quoted Wikipedia not Coco and a forward is a forward I know the difference between a 3 and 4 but a forward is not a guard. Yes u just blamed you 10 championships statement to Wikipedia so just like Wikipedia I shouldn't believe what you say
Again, my original post was in rebuttal to Yellowjacket's post and questionable assertion about taking Ododa vs Christyn. She is flat out wrong, and I think Geno and his staff know best. Coco took the baton in Yellowjacket's favor and ran with it. She is wrong as well, and her arguments on last year or Maya's senior year have been refuted by other posters. I'll take Geno's decision making on who to recruit first over Yellowjacket's or Coco's any day. If it makes you, Coco and Yellowjacket happy, Geno and staff still are recruiting Ododa, but she is not the primary focus, Christyn Williams is, and rightly so IMO.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again, my original post was in rebuttal to Yellowjacket's post and questionable assertion about taking Ododa vs Christyn. She is flat out wrong, and I think Geno and his staff know best. Coco took the baton in Yellowjacket's favor and ran with it. She is wrong as well, and her arguments on last year or Maya's senior year have been refuted by other posters. I'll take Geno's decision making on who to recruit first over Yellowjacket's or Coco's any day.
Of course Geno and his staff know best. Geno and his staff decisions don't make our opinions "wrong". Just so we are clear the opinion expressed by @YellwJcket999 and @CocoHusky (he not she) is that the UCONN roster needs ONO more than it does Christyn Williams and BTW Geno is actively recruiting both.

Reaction Score
Of course Geno and his staff know best. Geno and his staff decisions don't make our opinions "wrong". Just so we are clear the opinion expressed by @YellwJcket999 and @CocoHusky (he not she) is that the UCONN roster needs ONO more than it does Christyn Williams and BTW Geno is actively recruiting both.
Agreed. I respect your opinion as well as Yellowjacket's, just don't agree with it. Let's hope he gets both players.

Reaction Score
I'm a long time CW fan and will be pretty upset of she doesn't end up at UConn..........that said, if you just take a look at the current make up of the team it seems pretty obvious that a post player is the UConn's biggest need.........it was such a pleasure to see AZ block a shot of an opponent driving down the lane in the last game.........brought back memories of Stewie from several years ago...........UConn has the outside shooting it needs but the shot blocking and rebounding that ONO could provide would be invaluable........we're not talking about a slow moving post here, she's a terrific athlete who will add value to every part of the floor should she choose UConn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom