Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams's Final 2: UConn and SC

Reaction Score
If that is what you were suggesting you need to go back and watch the tape. The only reason Williams had a chance to block that shot, was because she wasn't guarding the post. She was above the foul line, switching on a pick. A spot a BIG would never have been in. The BIG would have been in Collier's spot, guarding the post. So you thinking that having a BIG in that game, on that play, would have made a difference is simply inaccurate.
IMO, it didn’t really matter if the defender was a Big or not. I want to believe that Auriemma knew that the little kid was going to get the ball and take that shot. If he had just had any sized player in her shirt denying her the ball, even if she got it at some point she wasn’t going to get a good shot off against anybody because of her size. I thought the defense prior to her getting it was too passive.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Uconn get both Williams and ONO, both player fit a need and would see plenty of minutes early if they work hard in practice. Once Kia graduates who starts at the shooting guard spot for Uconn ? It could be Lou, but Geno said he’s not starting Z because he doesn’t want his All Americans playing out of position. He could go with Bent or Coombs, but I think Williams would fit in perfectly at shooting guard for Uconn.
Yes. Williams WOULD fit in perfectly at shooting guard for UConn. BUT, she has set up her final two choices with a heavy slant toward S. Carolina. Glaringly, she will be announcing her decision in her high school gym - just like A'ja Wilson did. Furthermore, she has been oohing and aahing about playing with Tyasha Harris. Lastly, it wouldn't be surprising if Dawn pitched to Williams the idea of the team being form fitted around her, once A'ja graduates - rather than being "just another cog in Geno's machine", as Dawn might easily say (although there is, of course, no evidence of that). Still, it would be exciting if Christyn signed on with UConn. Crossing fingers (lightly, but not tightly).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes. Williams WOULD fit in perfectly at shooting guard for UConn. BUT, she has set up her final two choices with a heavy slant toward S. Carolina. Glaringly, she will be announcing her decision in her high school gym - just like A'ja Wilson did. Furthermore, she has been oohing and aahing about playing with Tyasha Harris. Lastly, it wouldn't be surprising if Dawn pitched to Williams the idea of the team being form fitted around her, once A'ja graduates - rather than being "just another cog in Geno's machine", as Dawn might easily say (although there is, of course, no evidence of that). Still, it would be exciting if Christyn signed on with UConn. Crossing fingers (lightly, but not tightly).

Welcome to the Boneyard Psyjaxx. Nice to have you join us. :)

JS

Reaction Score
Yes. Williams WOULD fit in perfectly at shooting guard for UConn. BUT, she has set up her final two choices with a heavy slant toward S. Carolina. Glaringly, she will be announcing her decision in her high school gym - just like A'ja Wilson did.
And just like Megan Walker did.

hc-uconn-women-recruits-1111-20161110

"Walker, a 6-foot-1 wing player, made her intentions known at a ceremony
in the Monacan High gymnasium in North Chesterfield, Va." [Courant]

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if she chooses S.C. I doubt she win any championships there. They were good with Aja but after Aja I don't see them being as dominant as they were in past years. C. Williams is a great player but I wouldn't be heart broken if she didn't choose Uconn. I will be disappointed because in the beginning she seemed like a Uconn lean and with the friendship of Lexi Gordon was a sure lock. But she seems to have found new friends/players she wants to play with other than Lex

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if she chooses S.C. I doubt she win any championships there. They were good with Aja but after Aja I don't see them being as dominant as they were in past years. C. Williams is a great player but I wouldn't be heart broken if she didn't choose Uconn. I will be disappointed because in the beginning she seemed like a Uconn lean and with the friendship of Lexi Gordon was a sure lock. But she seems to have found new friends/players she wants to play with other than Lex

Dawn also hasn’t proven to be a strong recruiter, Henderson will be the 1st top 10 high school kid Dawn will be bringing in since 2014, not including transfers, so they might have a hard time wining Championships going forward.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Dawn also hasn’t proven to be a strong recruiter, Henderson will be the 1st top 10 high school kid Dawn will be bringing in since 2014, not including transfers, so they might have a hard time wining Championships going forward.

Dawn hasn’t proven to be a strong closer consistently. We recruit with anybody, but for some reason we’ve struggled closing. It’s not like SC hasn’t been in the top 5/top 2 for a plethora of top 15 players in the 2015/2016/2017 classes.. we just haven’t been able to close. This year alone, we made it to to the top 5 for 5 of the top 10 players (Henderson, Smith, DeCosta, Williams, Nelson-Ododa... top 2 for Smith and DeCosta).

In 2017.. we were very much in it for Westbrook, Cooks, Carter, Hayes, J. Williams, Richards.

In 2016, very much in it for Odom, McCoy, Johnson etc.

We’ve gone up against the best in recruiting but haven’t been able to close. I’m hoping that changes with Williams and Nelson-Ododa but I’ll wait and see before I get my hopes up.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

You are correct, and no doubt Dawn realized this deficiency in her program. Dawn bolstered their recruiting proficiency this summer with the hiring of Jolette Law, who is a former head coach at Illinois, and most recently an assistant at Tennessee (and their lead recruiter). She's not a dink & dunk, hit or miss singles hitter, she hits homeruns. She is a master recruiter. Look for her presence on staff to have an immediate impact, especially given the recent success of Dawn's program.

636332111734632453-jlaw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are correct, and no doubt Dawn realized this deficiency in her program. Dawn upped their recruiting game this summer with the hiring of Jolette Law, who is a former head coach at Illinois, most recently of Tennessee. She is a master recruiter. Look for her presence on staff to make an immediate impact.
Yea that Dawn is pretty sharp at realizing her weaknesses and then actually doing something about it. A year ago the weakness was elevating the SC offense to championship level and in came Melanie Balcomb as an addition to the SC staff. Hopefully people will remember this the next time: "Dawn is not a good coach nonsense start."

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
See .. I'm a newbie. Missed that one. Thanks for pointing that out, JS. I'll work on being (cautiously) optimistic about Christyn coming to UConn. (Why aren't the vibes any better than I'm feeling though?)
You got knocked down driving to the hoop at The Boneyard. A foul was called but it was on you. It happens. Don't sulk. Get off the bench and get your head back in the game.

Reaction Score
Just one more Uconn foul shot in regulation in the semis and A'ja still wouldn't have won one.Geno doesn't lose in the finals.

Reaction Score
You got knocked down driving to the hoop at The Boneyard. A foul was called but it was on you. It happens. Don't sulk. Get off the bench and get your head back in the game.
Great comments here. I'll be coming back for more - especially when we get this regular (potentially undefe ..no I won't ji..) season underway! Let CW and ONO go where they need to go. (My vibes still say SC for CW, but if UConn is for CW, that would be fun.)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure who gave a silent commitment tonight, but Dawn tweeted that a birdie flew into the nest.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure who gave a silent commitment tonight, but Dawn tweeted that a birdie flew into the nest.
Staley has new recruit that called last night per her twitter. UConn is not looking good for another recruit?

Reaction Score
SEE, FEEL, BELIEVE -> SFB

Storrs Felt Better.

do you know how to send that telepathically to Arkansas...........hmmmmm wonder if that is allowed under NCAA rules?

Reaction Score
A few said the same thing (she will never win a Championship) when A'ja Wilson signed with SC.
That's true but Aja to me was a dominant post/player who was considered capable of leading S.C. to a national title which also will probably end up having the better team (more talented players)if CW do decide to go.
Ps. Geno & Co. gave Dawn her 1st. I think he has a thing for Dawn lol

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
That's true but Aja to me was a dominant post/player who was considered capable of leading S.C. to a national title which also will probably end up having the better team (more talented players)if CW do decide to go.
Ps. Geno & Co. gave Dawn her 1st. I think he has a thing for Dawn lol

Well, she has coached under him on the national level probably more than anybody else.. so they have a great relationship.

Regardless of how we’re always at each others necks (Husky and Gamecock fans) our coaches like one another lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom