Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa to play in Pan-Am Games 3X3 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa to play in Pan-Am Games 3X3

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Just to isolate the important schedule info .

As the No. 1 seed, the USA will meet No. 4 Brazil (2-3) in the first women’s semifinal at 10 a.m. EDT on Monday, July 29. All games are streaming live at WatchESPN.com.

The second semifinal at 10:30 a.m. EDT will feature No. 2 Argentina (4-1) versus No. 3 Dominican Republic (3-2). The semifinal winners will meet in the gold medal game at 2 p.m. EDT, and the losers will play for bronze at 1 p.m. EDT.

Also interesting that all the qiotes in the article were CW's. Her last game was her best and hope that trend continues.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
US 21 - Brazil 5 in 1st semifinal. Good team effort. Ionescu closes out the game with 3 straight bombs from the arc. Hard to see how anyone beats this team in the finals.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
By far the best showing from Olivia. Finished multiple times though contact and also made a 10 footer clean :D:D

Also at least 2 monster blocks and was not as out of position or off balance as in other games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By far the best showing from Olivia. Finished multiple times though contact and also made a 10 footer clean :D:D

Also at least 2 monster blocks and was not as out of position or off balance as in other games.

View attachment 45177
Both Liv & Christyn played more physical. Bad call on Liv when she set a crushing pick after handing off the ball to Christyn. I also liked Christyn lowering her shoulder to fling aside her defender on a right handed drive and finish at the basket.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Both Liv & Christyn played more physical. Bad call on Liv when she set a crushing pick after handing off the ball to Christyn. I also liked Christyn lowering her shoulder to fling aside her defender on a right handed drive and finish at the basket.

Agree on Liv's pick but maybe Christyn should have been called on that. She really loves contact

Interesting Hebard played so few minutes but of the 4, she seemed to be the one that looked the most tired.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree on Liv's pick but maybe Christyn should have been called on that. She really loves contact

Interesting Hebard played so few minutes but of the 4, she seemed to be the one that looked the most tired.
It was close, but I agree that Christyn could have been called. Either way, got to love Christyn flattening her defender. She’ll be a load to defend this season whenever she drives the lane.

Reaction Score

I wonder if they plan to use Hebard more in the finals in case the DR wins since they were so physical with them before.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder if they plan to use Hebard more in the finals in case the DR wins since they were so physical with them before.
DR lost to Argentina. The US has better talent, but Argentina plays really well together. It should be a good final, on WatchESPN at 4:00 pm ET.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Well Argentinia won 21-8. They gave the US the most trouble in the prelims and have the best skilled players among the rest of the field and that 'spark plug' guard. We will need to earn this one.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Will ONO see play this rough this rough during the season? :eek: We'll see. I like the fact that she's developing "calluses" during this tournament. They will come in handy as she faces some of the more physical posts during the season. Though she may be slight of frame, Liv does not back down. I like that!!! She'll push, shove and grab with anyone. It's up to the referees to control how intense it gets.

Watching how Ruthy (who is one of the better posts in D-1 WCBB) plays against real game international competition doesn't hurt either. What ONO is seeing and and experiencing during these games can't be duplicated during pickup games or practice on campus.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA won the Gold Medal over Argentian 21-17. Didn't watch the match. Watching the highlights you would think that Argentina won the Match until you see Christyn's reaction at the end of the highlights.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The reaction from Kara Lawson was amazing. She went bonkers. She was feeling the pressure to win. Props to Argentina. They played with heart and flair.
Just a little too much Sabrina / Ruthy telepathy at the end.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Tough back and forth game. The US was a little sloppy, but credit Argentina, who trapped the ball off many US screens, forcing several TO’s. The US went ahead for good on Christyn’s strong 3-pt play (1 pt for the basket & 2 FT’s) and then held off a tough Argentina team the rest of the way.

Christyn’s reaction after that play was familiar. Think of her driving layups at ND & vs Louisville in the Elite 8.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple general comments:
  • As another poster pointed out, The announcer referred to all the players by their surnames with the exception of Liv, who he enthusiastically referred to as “OLIVIA”. After the tournament and announcer’s attention, I wouldn’t be surprised if Liv now has a substantial number of fans in South America.
  • Winning any medal for your country is truly special. Winning gold even more so. The celebration by everyone on the team, along with their coach was genuine and heartfelt.
  • Both Christyn and Ruthy struck poses after the victory that I think were intended to replicate Megan Rapinoe’s pose during the Women’s World Cup.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"Oregon seniors Ionescu and Hebard then took over, combining for last 9 USA points."

It's only fair to recognize the fact that Hebard and Ionescu have been playing together for over 3 years.
Our two freshmen have been together for less than one.

Congratulations to team USA and coach Kara Lawson. Couldn't be more proud of these 4 young ladies.
Enjoy your victory today ladies, and have a safe trip home. Your country is very very proud of you and your accomplishments over the past 3 days. :D I hope there's a replay or a video made available. I missed the entire tournament. Didn't see a single play, so I'm relying on the comments and observations from you guys.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A couple general comments:
  • As another poster pointed out, The announcer referred to all the players by their surnames with the exception of Liv, who he enthusiastically referred to as “OLIVIA”. After the tournament and announcer’s attention, I wouldn’t be surprised if Liv now has a substantial number of fans in South America.
  • Winning any medal for your country is truly special. Winning gold even more so. The celebration by everyone on the team, along with their coach was genuine and heartfelt.
  • Both Christyn and Ruthy struck poses after the victory that I think were intended to replicate Megan Rapinoe’s pose during the Women’s World Cup.

1) Olivia has Italian Origins so I image that it sounds better to Latin American ears. Also her hyphenated surname probably scared the announcer. ;);)

2) After we got schooled in previous 3 x 3 competitions and coordinating to get the best nuclear pairing of telepathic seniors Sabrina and Ruthy, if we did not get gold in a limited tournament, it would have been seen as a failure.

3) Glad I did not see the posing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1) Olivia has Italian Origins so I image that it sounds better to Latin American ears. Also her hyphenated surname probably scared the announcer. ;);)

2) After we got schooled in previous 3 x 3 competitions and coordinating to get the best nuclear pairing of telepathic seniors Sabrina and Ruthy, if we did not get gold in a limited tournament, it would have been seen as a failure.

3) Glad I did not see the posing.
While Ionescu & Hebard were the strength of the team, unlike the national 3x3 tournament where Ionescu scored 17/21 points and assisted on the other 4, this was a much more balanced effort with everyone contributing to the team’s success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom