Chiney's After The Game Blog | The Boneyard

Chiney's After The Game Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"Getting beat is bad. Getting beat bad in front of all the people you love is dang near unbearable."

:p

As the rest of the blog makes clear, she'll be just fine.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised at her interpretation of what happened in the game. Basically, she's saying she just had a bad day. It happens - one of those things. Regarding the Goliath analogy, she's saying we're so much better than UConn, but in this freak occurrence, the pipsqueak beat the truly superior force. UConn was lucky unless they can do that every night (doubtful). UConn's not better than us, we just made some mistakes. The response was pure rationalization. An unwillingness to admit the defeat was caused by a superior force.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Gotta love the intensity and fire in her belly. If Stanford had 5 players all with her intensity and skill at the 5 different positions, the game would have been a different story. However, that's not the case. And that beatdown wasn't even with UCONN close to 100% healthy. KML needing fluids after the game, Moriah bothered by the stomach virus, Kiah out with her injury, and Morgan in her 1st game back from injury.

I hope she never feels that way again. But if they face UCONN again, sorry to say, it will be worse. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm surprised at her interpretation of what happened in the game. Basically, she's saying she just had a bad day. It happens - one of those things. Regarding the Goliath analogy, she's saying we're so much better than UConn, but in this freak occurrence, the pipsqueak beat the truly superior force. UConn was lucky unless they can do that every night (doubtful). UConn's not better than us, we just made some mistakes. The response was pure rationalization. An unwillingness to admit the defeat was caused by a superior force.

She had a very bad day, even with Dolson's good D, Chiney missed open shots she normally makes. It was not too different from Maya in 2010 when she was the star with little scoring support and we had more support with Pohlen, Pedersen and Nneka. Sat. you had even scoring and our star had a very bad day. It happens.

Happy New Year, btw :)

Reaction Score
Gotta love the intensity and fire in her belly. If Stanford had 5 players all with her intensity and skill at the 5 different positions, the game would have been a different story. However, that's not the case. And that beatdown wasn't even with UCONN close to 100% healthy. KML needing fluids after the game, Moriah bothered by the stomach virus, Kiah out with her injury, and Morgan in her 1st game back from injury.

I hope she never feels that way again. But if they face UCONN again, sorry to say, it will be worse. ;)

True, but we aren't 100% healthy either. Camp and Green are just getting back and Beebe out for yr.

Reaction Score
She had a very bad day, even with Dolson's good D, Chiney missed open shots she normally makes. It was not too different from Maya in 2010 when she was the star with little scoring support and we had more support with Pohlen, Pedersen and Nneka. Sat. you had even scoring and our star had a very bad day. It happens.

I agree with your 2010 comment. It is a similar situation in reverse. I just thought Chiney's view was not accurate, not the analytical honesty I expect from Stanford folks. But, perhaps not admitting another team might be better is a way for superior players to keep there confidence where it needs to be.

I have only admiration for Stanford, having worked with many outstanding people while doing research work there years ago.

Happy New Year to you too, and to all our women's basketball fans out there.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I don't think the David and Goliath analogy was QUITE accurate! I am reminded of a cartoon cited by Jim Bouton in "Ball Four". A little kid is trudging up the walk to his house dragging a ball glove about as big as he is. His dad says; "How did it go?" and the kid says; "I had a no-hitter going until the big kids got out of school."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Winners put losses behind them, they don't wallow in their misery. In order for Stanford to be successful, its players need to move on the from the UConn game believing that they are still an elite team capable of beating anyone. If the Cardinal players don't do that, they might as well join the WAC and slug it out with New Mexico State.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Winners put losses behind them, they don't wallow in their misery. In order to Stanford to be successful, its players need to move on the from the UConn game believing that they are still an elite team capable of beating anyone. If the Cardinal players don't do that, they might as well join the WAC and slug it out with New Mexico State.

Agreed. I believe that this piece was a step in that direction

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Winners put losses behind them, they don't wallow in their misery. In order to Stanford to be successful, its players need to move on the from the UConn game believing that they are still an elite team capable of beating anyone. If the Cardinal players don't do that, they might as well join the WAC and slug it out with New Mexico State.

One thing Jack Nicklaus used to say about the difference between practice and competition was something to the effect of never let it be your fault in competition, blame it on the lie, on the club, anything but yourself because you don't want to undermine your confidence in the middle of a round. Blame it on the moment and then let it go moving on. But in practice everything is your fault and you need to address every aspect and every weakness taking responsibility for it all.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One thing Jack Nicklaus used to say about the difference between practice and competition was something to the effect of never let it be your fault in competition, blame it on the lie, on the club, anything but yourself because you don't want to undermine your confidence in the middle of a round. Blame it on the moment and then let it go moving on. But in practice everything is your fault and you need to address every aspect and every weakness taking responsibility for it all.
Golf is an individual sport and basketball is a team sport. Chiney is a leader and can't afford to drag down her teammates with self-blame. She needs to exude confidence for the younger players that look to her to set the tone.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Golf is an individual sport and basketball is a team sport. Chiney is a leader and can't afford to drag down her teammates with self-blame. She needs to exude confidence for the younger players that look to her to set the tone.
Same applies to team sports for exactly the reason you note, Nan. During a game blame it on the ball, the ref, a bad bounce and then move on. In practice take responsibility for it all. The only difference is you do it as a unit and not an individual. The same concept applies to military unit cohesion and responsibility. One fails, all fail.

Chiney's observations are absolutely consistent with what Jack was expressing. She maintained focus the whole game by letting frustrations go in the moment, saving them for later. In game they are self defeating and destructive. As she expressed in her column afterwards she completely had at it and presumably is holding herself accountable and her team with her. That's quality leadership.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Same applies to team sports for exactly the reason you note, Nan. During a game blame it on the ball, the ref, a bad bounce and then move on. In practice take responsibility for it all. The only difference is you do it as a unit and not an individual. The same concept applies to military unit cohesion and responsibility. One fails, all fail.
I give up, you win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Happy New Year!
I suspect that Chiney was taken by surprise by 'Stephanie 3.0' and all the extra energy she had to expend trying to get free may explain those misses on the open looks. Still, she's too good a player, and TVD is too good a coach, to be caught flat footed twice in a row. She'll be better prepared in the next go round.

Reaction Score
I agree with your 2010 comment. It is a similar situation in reverse. I just thought Chiney's view was not accurate, not the analytical honesty I expect from Stanford folks. But, perhaps not admitting another team might be better is a way for superior players to keep there confidence where it needs to be.

I have only admiration for Stanford, having worked with many outstanding people while doing research work there years ago.

Happy New Year to you too, and to all our women's basketball fans out there.

Chiney did say in the post game presser that UConn is the standard. She is taking responsibility for her part in the failure of the game and will work hard not to repeat it. It's very commendable and honest.

Happy New Year to you too!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Chiney did say in the post game presser that UConn is the standard. She is taking responsibility for her part in the failure of the game and will work hard not to repeat it. It's very commendable and honest.

Happy New Year to you too!

CO is a wonderful player and person. Why we nit pick at what these young ladies say is beyond me.

Reaction Score
CO is a wonderful player and person. Why we nit pick at what these young ladies say is beyond me.

I agree about CO. I wish we had 10 of her. I wasn't nitpicking, just responding to an earlier post.

Reaction Score

As a leader she has said what she needs to say! As a human being she admits to being "human! As an athlete she has to be able to let go of anything that will drag her down moving forward! It is not her job to make us feel good
about how great our team played and how "really good"we are!;)

As for me "to bad she chose ST",but we showed who we are when the brightest lights are on. I hope Conn folks remember this come Sat when we kick ND's Ass:p
Ira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits