Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
Hurley's handling Sanogo minutes is delicate. I just think Hurley is doing the 'Clingan minutes' correctly by slowly increasing DC's minutes (resting AS), keeping DC in at critical junctures, and pulling Sanogo when he makes mistakes. I also think Hurley needs to be more strategic with Clingan, recognizing the in-game impact he's making. If our lead is increasing keep him in (bury those M.F......) get Sanogo very rested for
late game when we have to close or need our go to. Just saying have a plan for your two best players.

The good news is that DC doesn't seem to mind coming off the bench, and of course he's a freshman. Next year there better be a co-existing court solution if Sanogo returns. As for now Sanogo starts, especially now that we are in conference play. His experience is invaluable. I also see Clingan eating up more and more minutes (from Sanogo and hopefully others).

Reaction Score
With a huge opportunity available at pg and the amount of options available in the portal, ultimately choosing to go with a mis-cast sg to fill that role is looking like the critical error for this season.

Imagine we had gone after a player like Boum or Kolek instead?
Kinda like Baum @ X?
Boum is also a combo guard. Newton has a higher assist rate on the year (and higher than any year of Boum's career) and is a much better defender. Boum has been a better shooter. But he's not a natural PG.

Reaction Score
Change for the sake of change isn't necessarily the right answer.

You play two bigs last night and Karaban doesn't get the minutes he did. He was our second best player. Does that make sense?

Playing the two bigs together doesn't fix our biggest offensive problems, which are our guards inability to get by anyone at the perimeter/get to the rim and our dismal 3 point shooting. Instead, especially if we play with AJax out there, it kills our spacing. AS is not a good enough passer to make a high/low big game work. Playing with the three of them means we have two guys at most on the court who can shoot from outside 12 feet consistently.

Playing them together on defense also doesn't help. On offense we can't get by anyone on the perimeter; on defense we can't stay in front of anyone. I think the answer is zone. I don't think the answer is asking Sanogo to play out on the perimeter while DC anchors the paint, as I think it will immediately put AS or DC in foul trouble and won't be effective against most BE teams.

Unfortunately, I don't think the solutions to this year's problems are fixable. This team needs a guard who can break the defense down and get a bucket when no one else can. Without that, we're entirely too predictable as everyone is a one trick pony (AS is a black hole in the paint, Hawk shoots 3's or drives straight at the rim, AJax is scared to shoot, Joey C = 3, Newtown is a poor man's Hawk, etc.)
Unlike other top Big East teams, Marquette doesn’t have a physical guy that matches up with Karaban. I like the kid and he’s a good shooter but if you think he’s the answer to what PC and Xavier matched up against him - you are greatly mistaken.

Reaction Score
Hurley's handling Sanogo minutes is delicate. I just think Hurley is doing the 'Clingan minutes' correctly by slowly increasing DC's minutes (resting AS), keeping DC in at critical junctures, and pulling Sanogo when he makes mistakes. I also think Hurley needs to be more strategic with Clingan, recognizing the in-game impact he's making. If our lead is increasing keep him in (bury those M.F......) get Sanogo very rested for
late game when we have to close or need our go to. Just saying have a plan for your two best players.

The good news is that DC doesn't seem to mind coming off the bench, and of course he's a freshman. Next year there better be a co-existing court solution if Sanogo returns. As for now Sanogo starts, especially now that we are in conference play. His experience is invaluable. I also see Clingan eating up more and more minutes (from Sanogo and hopefully others).
You got to get your two best players on the court and not in a strictly mutually exclusive way. It’s a no brainer. Calhoun did that for decades and made people play our game not theirs.

Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more. I was flabbergasted that Clingon's effort was wasted. In my opinion, Clingon should be starting every night intil Sanogo learns how to send that ball back out when otger teams are packing it in underneath. We went from riches to rags last night, and will continue with this kind of loss until changes you outlined are put into place.
Start them both.

Reaction Score
Boum is also a combo guard. Newton has a higher assist rate on the year (and higher than any year of Boum's career) and is a much better defender. Boum has been a better shooter. But he's not a natural PG.
Fair, I don’t really know Boum’s game well.

I’ll amend and say we could’ve gotten a stronger natural pg / someone with ability to penetrate (Newton only drives with the intent of getting bailed out with a foul, doesn’t have the ability to consistently finish at the rim).

Maybe Dan thought Newton would be that guy, and it was just a missed eval.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Newton playing like a mid-major PG. That doesn’t cut it in the Big East.

Sanogo still trying to throw up shots when he’s triple teamed in the post. He needs to learn to find the open guy(s) and pass it out. Teams are simply collapsing on him now so he needs to adjust. But we also need to make shots.

Jackson is our best ball handler and playmaker obviously. I was giddy on the one play where he took it strong to the hole and laid it in. If he did this more often, he’d be an unstoppable rebel force.

Love Joey C’s energy but he’s come back to earth a bit. Hopefully his shot returns because he can provide some daggers late in games.

All in all I think we’re still a Top 10 team. It’s just been a rough part of the schedule. I’m still hopeful even though I find myself wanting to throw things at the TV occasionally. The last several years have been swamped with misery so it gives me a tingle in my loins to compare where we were to where we are now. Still a work in progress but good things to come.

Reaction Score
Is there a place to find the full replay for this game?

At one point in the 2nd half, Jackson dropped the ball off to Sanago and ran to the other side of the court, we had our 4 "shooters" all on the right side of the court and Sanago then gets doubled down low and can't physically pass it as all of his shooters were cross court.

I would love to see the replay to confirm. The offensive "set" didn't make any sense. He needs a shooter or 2 on his side to kick out to.

Reaction Score
I think you guys are jumping all over Hurl
Change for the sake of change isn't necessarily the right answer.

You play two bigs last night and Karaban doesn't get the minutes he did. He was our second best player. Does that make sense?

Playing the two bigs together doesn't fix our biggest offensive problems, which are our guards inability to get by anyone at the perimeter/get to the rim and our dismal 3 point shooting. Instead, especially if we play with AJax out there, it kills our spacing. AS is not a good enough passer to make a high/low big game work. Playing with the three of them means we have two guys at most on the court who can shoot from outside 12 feet consistently.

Playing them together on defense also doesn't help. On offense we can't get by anyone on the perimeter; on defense we can't stay in front of anyone. I think the answer is zone. I don't think the answer is asking Sanogo to play out on the perimeter while DC anchors the paint, as I think it will immediately put AS or DC in foul trouble and won't be effective against most BE teams.

Unfortunately, I don't think the solutions to this year's problems are fixable. This team needs a guard who can break the defense down and get a bucket when no one else can. Without that, we're entirely too predictable as everyone is a one trick pony (AS is a black hole in the paint, Hawk shoots 3's or drives straight at the rim, AJax is scared to shoot, Joey C = 3, Newtown is a poor man's Hawk, etc.)

I totally agree with this. Bigs are NOT the problem, it's the guard play. If Hurley plays two bigs last night, Omax and team would have had an even bigger field day. This was just a matchup problem for both teams and it was MU that figured something out in the second half. Notice both Sanogo and Clingan was drawn out a lot more and MU stopped trying to shoot over him in the paint.

I'll use example of MU vs Purdue, because even though the box score from the MU/Purdue game didn't show it, they played very similar game last night to how they played Edey - where for most of the game had Edey shut down pretty well until 1. he played outside his normal game style and 2. the guards really showed up. That's what needed to happen last night and Hurley gave the team a shot at it by trying to give Sanogo more time and trying every guard lineup he could conceive of. It's just that no one was able to overcome and stand out to close the deal. (Being an MU guy, I'm just going to chalk it up to our tenacious D* guys though)

UConn is a GREAT team and one of the very best of the best this year. I wouldn't get down over a few road games against the top of the Big East on the road. This isn't the American anymore!

*not at all related to anything music

Reaction Score
There are lots of comments on our offensive woes and Danny Hurleys coaching. I thought Hurley made a good adjustment in playing Clingan more, and he is improving at making in game adjustments. While our guard play on offense was disappointing, Clingan and Karaban more than made up for it. 76 points was enough to win this game. We lost this game on defense. In particular when Clingan was out of the game they scored at will in the paint. I think if Hurley can fix the defense we will be fine.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Also, DH doesn’t call timeouts when we could use one. When teams start making runs or cutting into our runs, he just lets em play. In all of our losses I can find spots where a timely timeout would have worked wonders.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
UConn was up 31-20 and in complete control at that point in the 1st half only to give up a 9-0 run see the lead cut to 4 at the half. Why Clingan did not start the 2nd half and have the ball fed to him is extremely confusing. Especially after Hurley said Marquette had no answer to him before heading to the locker room.

Guys need to start knocking down shots again. Clingan and Sanogo (to a point) are not the problem. Sanogo needs to recognize the double and get rid of it as well as vary his offensive speed. He is methodical in the paint and allows the defense an opportunity to close. If he is not going to kick it out of the double team he needs to start making a quick move immediately upon touching the ball.

Reaction Score
We have an ability to have a 7'2" guy stand near the rim and deliver lob passes to him, and our two bigs are shooting 70% that way. That's a very efficient offense.

Two bigs might call for a zone. That's the challenge with that lineup.

The problem with you’re suggestion is that they’re shooting 60 and 70% respectively when they’re the only big on the floor. You can’t just assume that they’ll continue to do that with both of them out there at the same time. Either they’ll get in each other’s way or one of them will be forced to take 15’ jump shots from the high post. There’s no evidence that either of them can make those - certainly not at a 60-70% rate.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun tried it for 2 decades, he did ok! LOL
We all have our opinions, that’s why you try new things rather than endlessly opine about them. It worked well for the 4 minutes this season we tried it, but never repeated it.
No, he didn’t.

Reaction Score
UConn was up 31-20 and in complete control at that point in the 1st half only to give up a 9-0 run see the lead cut to 4 at the half. Why Clingan did not start the 2nd half and have the ball fed to him is extremely confusing. Especially after Hurley said Marquette had no answer to him before heading to the locker room.

You’re ignoring the fact that much of our big run came when Marquette had a lot of their second string players in the game - Gold, Ross, Joplin, and Sean Jones. You can’t just assume that the success against those guys would translate to the same success when Marquette had their entire starting lineup back out there to starting the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
With a huge opportunity available at pg and the amount of options available in the portal, ultimately choosing to go with a mis-cast sg to fill that role is looking like the critical error for this season.

Imagine we had gone after a player like Boum or Kolek instead?

I’ll amend and say we could’ve gotten a stronger natural pg / someone with ability to penetrate (Newton only drives with the intent of getting bailed out with a foul, doesn’t have the ability to consistently finish at the rim).

Maybe Dan thought Newton would be that guy, and it was just a missed eval.
hindsight is 20/20. we were collectively thrilled to land newton in the portal. he was rated everywhere as a top 10 transfer PG. second team all aac averaging almost 20 ppg and living at the foul line. could not see this regression coming and still dont understand it.

we didnt/dont need a pure pg as much as we needed a cg that could penetrate so he fit the bill perfectly, or so it seemed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You got to get your two best players on the court and not in a strictly mutually exclusive way. It’s a no brainer. Calhoun did that for decades and made people play our game not theirs.

Sorry, but Calhoun did not do that for decades. He did it with specific players on particular teams when it made sense. He didn’t just indiscriminately throw 2 bigs out there at the same time year after year for decades, which is what you’re making it sound like. I don’t see him playing these 2 guys out there together - not when Sanogo would have to play D against mobile 4’s on the perimeter. He has neither the quickness nor the experience to do that.

Whatever Calhoun did is irrelevant. He’s been retired for 10 years, so you’re going back at least 30 years when you talk about what JC did for decades. It’s a different game. And not just compared to what he did 30 years ago. It’s continued to evolve even over the past decade.

Reaction Score
hindsight is 20/20. we were collectively thrilled to land newton in the portal. he was rated everywhere as a top 10 transfer PG. second team all aac averaging almost 20 ppg and living at the foul line. could not see this coming and still dont understand it.
Yes of course my comment was in hindsight (as fans we get the benefit of hindisght, whereas the coaches may not). Understandably they aren’t going to be perfect, but in retrospect it seems like a potential missed eval.

Or maybe we just aren’t utilizing him to his strengths and doing him a disservice.

Reaction Score
Yes of course my comment was in hindsight (as fans we get the benefit of hindisght, whereas the coaches may not). Understandably they aren’t going to be perfect, but in retrospect it seems like a potential missed eval.

Or maybe we just aren’t utilizing him to his strengths and doing him a disservice.
i agree with the second point. he shouldnt be our PG anymore it should be AJ. move newton off ball and if he doesnt start putting his head down then he can sit until he gets the message.

he's 6'5 he should be able to draw contact at the rim or at least try i dont care if he gets his shot blocked 4x a game

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
You’re ignoring the fact that much of our big run came when Marquette had a lot of their second string players in the game - Gold, Ross, Joplin, and Sean Jones. You can’t just assume that the success against those guys would translate to the same success when Marquette had their entire starting lineup back out there to starting the 2nd half.

The guys who are most impactful on the game should be getting the minutes. Our perimeter defense is what failed us.

Clingan was unstoppable no matter who Marquette ran out there and should have been on the court the start the 2nd half. The ball should have been fed to Clingan until Marquette's starters, or reserves, could show they could to slow him down.

Reaction Score
i agree with the second point. he shouldnt be our PG anymore it should be AJ. move newton off ball and if he doesnt get the message and doesnt start putting his head down then he can sit.
AJ already often serves as the main initiator in the half court when they play together. So seems like Danny is already doing this.

Problem is AJ is no threat to score off the dribble, so he has issues being an effective pg as well.

Reaction Score
What I observed.
1. We don't have a true point guard. AJax is the next best thing.
2. This was the perfect game for DC in terms of matchups.
3. In big east play AS is not deserving of player of the year.
4. By now, I am sure the scouts are more interested in DC than AS.
5. The offense flows so much better when DC is in.
6. DC is a much better rim protector than AS.
7. JH needs to learn how to create his own shot without having screens set for him.
8. Still a good team that needs to learn how to win on the road. This is a game that we should have won
What happened to setting screens for shooters like Hawkins. Seemed like Clingan was the only one setting them. A lot of 3s taken in the first 5 seconds of the shot clock.

pj

Reaction Score
Sorry, but Calhoun did not do that for decades. He did it with specific players on particular teams when it made sense. He didn’t just indiscriminately throw 2 bigs out there at the same time year after year for decades, which is what you’re making it sound like. I don’t see him playing these 2 guys out there together - not when Sanogo would have to play D against mobile 4’s on the perimeter. He has neither the quickness nor the experience to do that.

Whatever Calhoun did is irrelevant. He’s been retired for 10 years, so you’re going back at least 30 years when you talk about what JC did for decades. It’s a different game. And not just compared to what he did 30 years ago. It’s continued to evolve even over the past decade.

Calhoun always had perimeter-based teams through the 1999 national championship. Duke had dominant big men at that time and big lineups, but Calhoun couldn't recruit top big men until after the 1999 championship. After that he seemed to get a case of Duke envy and mimicked their strategy, recruiting a lot of top bigs, culminating in the 2004 national championship (Emeka Okafor, Charlie Villanueva, Josh Boone, Hilton Armstrong) and the big-heavy team that lost to George Mason in 2006 (Rudy Gay, Josh Boone, Jeff Adrien, Hilton Armstrong, Ed Nelson).

I always thought that was a questionable approach, the teams that won always had multiple great guards (2004 had Taliek, Ben Gordon, Marcus Williams, Rashad Anderson, Denham Brown). Big-heavy teams never seemed to perform as well in the tourney as in the regular season.

But for about 10 years, Calhoun was focused on recruiting great bigs.

Reaction Score
4-3 in BE standings. Lossing on the road to the top 3 teams in the BE. Sigh

On a positive note, Uconn women have been playing very well short-handed.
That’s the difference between Hall of Fame coaches and those that haven’t yet figured it out!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom