Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
This times 1000. Hurley has to be brain damaged. This one was WAY worse than the other two. I have no clue what he was thinking.
could have been a 20 point win? Not sure which game you were watching.
Everyone wants to blame the players and coaches for the loss. I thought UConn played pretty solid defense. How about some credit to Marquette for making tough shots. UConn did get a bad whistle on several clean blocks and of course the foul on Jackson when the ball was obviously fumbled away 1-2 seconds prior to the call.
it was a tough loss. We put 40% and 62% foul shooters on the line down the stretch and they went 6 for 6

Reaction Score
So many new parts, its going to take more time. By February we're going to know what we really have.

We're the hunted so we're getting every opponent's A game, and on the road we're getting their NBA game.

Need to work out the kinks before the Tourney and definitely don't abandon our bench. Our bench is our strength.

Reaction Score
I put this in the other thread but also kinda what Chief is saying here. …. Sanogo won’t play back up center for clingan next year. We will be playing against him if he doesn’t go pro. Or he can practice at the four and play both 4 and 5 in a rotation with Clingan and Karaban. Karaban can also play 3. Sanogo is too talented in my opinion to sit the bench and clearly Clingan is also even more of a game changer and can’t sit the bench. Our guard’s aren’t that good anyway. Why are we playing 3 of them at a time?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Because guys get tired lol. What is this. Our best player in this one was a freshman who weighs like 270. He gets tired.
For sure.

But then again you’re a smart hoops guy. You watch even more than I do.

If tired is your thing how do you explain the lineup coming out of half time? Hurley went to half time saying in interview they have no matchup for Clingan. And Shaka obviously scouted the hell out of our starters, and they didn’t work out tonight, and Hurley forced our starters on them in multiple times tonight, for no discernible reason even after what the way the game was playing out. Everyone could still have got minutes in mix and match, but no, Hurley handed it to Shaka.

Reaction Score
Especially when he mentioned at half they had no answer for Clingan
So he takes Clingan out, puts Sanogo in and an 11pt UConn lead evaporates. I would’ve taken Jackson out for Sanogo. UConn could have been up 20 by halftime, all Hurley needed was Sanogo, Clingan, Karaban, Hawkins and Newton on the floor. That lineup puts UConn in the bonus in a nano second, and allows Hawkins, Karaban, and Newton to shoot open threes all night.

Reaction Score
Question. Why are we better than Xavier, Marquette and Providence?

Reaction Score
Next game start both Clingan and Sanogo. Jackson is the starting PG with Newton coming off the bench. Get your best players on the court. Don’t be a prisoner of failed rotations.

When you have a formula that works game night, it is coaching malpractice not to use it until it doesn’t work. Tonight was a twenty point win that wasn’t.

Stubbornness is never good. What more of a case does Clingan have to make to get 25-30 minutes every game. There’s no excuse for that not to consistently happen based on results. And icing him on the bench doesn’t always mean a repeat performance later in the game.

One striking difference between Sanogo and Clingan was Adama’s 4 first half turnovers vs. zero for Donovan. While Donovan had 4 blocks vs 1 for Adama. Why not play more of the lineup that built the lead? Instead Danny inexplicitly changes things up when he didn’t need to.

I am tired of letting our opponents set the match-ups, let’s play Double Big 10+ minutes a game and let them match up to us. In the second half no excuse for Sanogo not playing with Donovan. Danny has Sanogo playing defense 25 feet away from the hoop anyways.

I thought Jackson played fairly well tonight. Great defense and pretty good offense. He made plays for teammates but had some turnovers too. Karaban did not have a muscle guy to defend, so he was able to play his game and played very well. Marquette did a great job taking Hawkins’ game away. Turnovers killed us and Marquette converted them into points.

Message to Dan Hurley, Newton is NOT a point guard. Time to go a different direction.
I totally agree with this. I even said it in the main post game thread that start the 2 bigs or and play Jackson at point. Or at least give diarra more minutes as he at least tries to penetrate and can play way better defense than Newton. Newton looks like he is moving like the 6 million dollar man in slow motion when he is out there. LOL!

Reaction Score
I put this in the other thread but also kinda what Chief is saying here. …. Sanogo won’t play back up center for clingan next year. We will be playing against him if he doesn’t go pro. Or he can practice at the four and play both 4 and 5 in a rotation with Clingan and Karaban. Karaban can also play 3. Sanogo is too talented in my opinion to sit the bench and clearly Clingan is also even more of a game changer and can’t sit the bench. Our guard’s aren’t that good anyway. Why are we playing 3 of them at a time?
Agree, it is crazy, Danny needs a wake-up call and reinvent things to begin starting double bigs.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Providence relies too much on just two players (Carter, Hopkins). That only gets you so far.
Marquette is a good team but Hurley should have kept Clingan in longer and we would have won.
We have more depth than Xavier.

Reaction Score
This times 1000. Hurley has to be brain damaged. This one was WAY worse than the other two. I have no clue what he was thinking.
Trying to appease the upperclassman instead of playing the better player. Matt Painter did it last year with his 2 bigs. Didn’t play Eden enough. Lost in the sweet 16. They are much better this year with their big guy playing 30+ minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Don't know if better but not worse. Have beaten a very good Bama team, and a good Iowa St team. See how the home games go. But agree with sentiment that need to win more quality games before know if more than just good.

Reaction Score
Never thought I’d see a Danny Hurley team be this soft defensively. Not going to win many games giving up 80 plus.

15-3 lost 3 really tough road games in the big east against 3 of the best teams in the country. Everyone calm down. All 3 of these teams come here as well. It’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
I thought Clingan should have started the 2nd half but that was never going to happen. At the end of the day it comes down to guard play and we don’t have a true point guard or a guard who can get his own shot off and score. Where would we have been tonight without our freshman.

Reaction Score
These games are lost in the off season

Good teams can take away our offense, because for whatever reason Hurley refuses to bring in guards that can drive to the basket and dish or score off the glass.
Teams get in our shirts on the perimeter and dare us to go by them and we can't because we don't have that guard. Ours just keep backing up, hoping they stop bothering them. There is no room for our shooters to shoot.

It is not enough to bring in great shooters. You need guards that can break down a defense.

Imagine a penetrating guard drawing defenders, dumping it off to our outstanding big men, or kicking out for open 3's instead of the rushed 3's we take now when we get a crevice to shoot in.
Agree with this post 1000%. We have that guard coming in next year. His name is S. Castle. Unfortunately doesn't help us this year

Reaction Score
So he takes Clingan out, puts Sanogo in and an 11pt UConn lead evaporates. I would’ve taken Jackson out for Sanogo. UConn could have been up 20 by halftime, all Hurley needed was Sanogo, Clingan, Karaban, Hawkins and Newton on the floor. That lineup puts UConn in the bonus in a nano second, and allows Hawkins, Karaban, and Newton to shoot open threes all night.
Agree in many respects except Jackson overall is exponentially better than Newton.

Reaction Score
For sure.

But then again you’re a smart hoops guy. You watch even more than I do.

If tired is your thing how do you explain the lineup coming out of half time? Hurley went to half time saying in interview they have no matchup for Clingan. And Shaka obviously scouted the hell out of our starters, and they didn’t work out tonight, and Hurley forced our starters on them in multiple times tonight, for no discernible reason even after what the way the game was playing out. Everyone could still have got minutes in mix and match, but no, Hurley handed it to Shaka.
Yeah we played our starters. You know, the guys that have been our best players all year and in practice every day. Players don't always play the same one half to the next. You go with your best guys until you get enough evidence to the contrary. 1 half isn't enough evidence. Sanogo did have a nice minute or two in there in the 2nd where he had a block sandwiched between 2 baskets, but he was bad before and after that, so Hurley pulled him and didn't really go back to him until he absolutely had to, even switching defense to change the game and let us rest a bit on defense.

Our 16-0 run was against a bunch of their backups, who didn't play the last 10 minutes or so. Their starters didn't get tired, because home game energy and good conditioning.

Reaction Score
check out second half scoring vs our opponents in our 3 losses: 129-99. WTF. We are getting beat in the second half. This should not happen. We have the bench. Defense is supposed to be our identity. Instead the other team is able to reach a 5th gear and we don’t. Disgusted. Tonight Marquette scored 49 points in the 2nd. Ridiculous
The second half is where it counts and we lack a closer when it gets tight. Yiu have to have a couple of go to guys that you can bank on in tight, well contested conference games. We also lack good to very good to elite point guard play. You need that conductor to dictate tempo and hit guys in their spots in rhythm. This is part of the reason we had so many turnovers which kills any momentum we are trying to build. This is also why we had quite a number of dead possessions which is becoming a theme. This is what prevents us from blowing these games wide open against good conference teams.

Our coach has been outcoached in the 3 losses unfortunately. When you have certain obvious mis-matches you have to continue to relentlessly exploit them. AJ appears to be our best hope at the point. Newton needs to get set up for his scoring opportunities. Hawkins needs to find different ways to score when his outside shot or 3 ball is dropping.

Our bench has also become inconsistent. I'm not sure if this team can overcome the lack of having a very good point guard. I'm curious to see how Samson does once he returns. There is a certain level of ruggedness missing from this team. We are all looking for this team to turn a new corner and put it together consistently. In all 3 losses those teams seemed more hungry and opportunistic. We haven't responded well in these situations. Dan Hurley will need to figure this out. It's a trend and a problem now.

Reaction Score
Yes. Point guard play has been very disappointing. Center play, especially backup center play, amazingly good. Got to get the best players on the court even if it means ugly play at times.

Danny as a former point guard may not like playing that way, but it seems to be the toughest lineup for the opponents to handle.

They also need to figure out how to put Hawkins in position to succeed. He's not playing up to his potential.
It’s all the coach’s fault. They aren’t putting Hawkins in position to succeed LOL. How about the player figuring out how to be more effective And assertive. Hawkins played some good D and rebounded well but he has to put HIMSELF in offensive position to make more of an impact. It’s up to him.

Sanogo. Don’t know what to say. 5 klunkers in the last 6 games. He no longer deserves to start. He said he was fired up last game because of Kalkbrenner’s comments. He should Be ready to play every game like that. Maybe starting Clingan will fire him up. He was sleep walking out there tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom