Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Cliff had a face-the-basket game. He was a true power forward. Frankly he was a 3 in a 6-10 body.

Jeff King was skinny as a rail. He weighed maybe 190 pounds. He was about as far removed from being a banger as you could get.

There is absolutely no valid comparison between these 2 and Sanogo/Clingan.
who is comparing anything?
u said 'bigs.'
6'10 Clif played 30+ mpg while 6'10 king played 30+ mpg, and the next season king went down to 20+ as they proceeded to win the NIT.

i assume that they were on the floor together.

Reaction Score
You do realize hoops in the 90's was played completely different than it is today? If you're suggesting we start both Sanogo and Clingan do you want us to play zone D? Sanogo has no chance guarding guys like Prosper or Hopkins 1/1.
Opponents can't guard Sanogo 1/1 but they've figured a way to defend him

Reaction Score
You do realize hoops in the 90's was played completely different than it is today? If you're suggesting we start both Sanogo and Clingan do you want us to play zone D? Sanogo has no chance guarding guys like Prosper or Hopkins 1/1.
Do you realize that’s exactly the type of thing we have Sanogo doing now but also expecting him to run back from 23 feet away to protect the rim. With Clingan he could cover someone like Hopkins and play fundamental defense without this crazy back and forth trendmill. Then think of the match-up down the other end - something you choose to ignore. Also, how did Karaban do on Hawkins?

Reaction Score
Do you realize that’s exactly the type of thing we have Sanogo doing now but also expecting him to run back from 23 feet away to protect the rim. With Clingan he could cover someone like Hopkins and play fundamental defense without this crazy back and forth trendmill. Then think of the match-up down the other end - something you choose to ignore. Also, how did Karaban do on Hawkins?

Sanogo could cover Hopkins in your dreams.

How did Karaban do on Hawkins? Who’s Hawkins?

Reaction Score
who is comparing anything?
u said 'bigs.'
6'10 Clif played 30+ mpg while 6'10 king played 30+ mpg, and the next season king went down to 20+ as they proceeded to win the NIT.

i assume that they were on the floor together.

If you’re not comparing anything, then I don’t know what conversation you’re in . . . And neither do you apparently.

You have made the point repeatedly in this thread about starting Sanogo and Clingan together (in your 1st post) that Calhoun did it all the time for 2 decades. So that’s why we’re comparing.

And the bigs in question are Sanogo and Clingan - the first a big, muscular, burly player and the other 7’2”. Both play a back-to-the-basket low post game. So, those two are the point of reference for what a “big” is in this conversation.

If you think that Cliff Robinson and Jeff King in any way resemble Sanogo and Clingan, and if you think that Calhoun’s use of them together is in any way a precedent for playing our current bigs together, then I can’t help you and don’t know who can. Did you not see those guys play?

Now for the facts. Cliff Robinson played in only 16 games in 1986-87. Jeff King started with him 15 of those 16 games, so they started together for about half a season. If that’s thet’s the season you want to use to show that 2 bigs can be successfully deployed together, don’t. It was a disaster, 9-19, 3-13/last in BE.

The adjustment that Calhoun made going into 1987-88 was to end the experiment of playing the 2 bigs together. Instead of starting King, he brought him in off the bench. It was better, but they still had problems, again finishing last in the Big East (20-14, 4-12 BE).

Reaction Score
It’s pretty obvious that the people advocating two bigs line up as our base line up just want change for the sake of change.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty obvious that the people advocating two bigs line up as our base line up just want change for the sake of change.
I want to win, the same reason Calhoun did it for countless years. They led the country in rebounding 10 years. Make your opponent match up with your best players.

Reaction Score
I want to win, the same reason Calhoun did it for countless years. They led the country in rebounding 10 years. Make your opponent match up with your best players.
Buddy how many times do people have to tell you it’s not the same game that was played 10 years ago…Sanogo would get blown by by almost any 4 in the Big East

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Nobody is ignoring the matchup down the other end. There's not a single player in the Big East that can guard Sanogo one on one. Problem is, other teams have figured this out and are doubling him every possession. All playing two bigs does is make it easier to do that because Sanogo has one less shooter to kick it out to.

Reaction Score
Buddy how many times do people have to tell you it’s not the same game that was played 10 years ago…Sanogo would get blown by by almost any 4 in the Big East
It is ironic the same people who argue for high hedging with Adama switching to guards, don’t want Adama covering a 4.
I believe his perimeter defense would be improved with a 7-2 guy guarding the rim and Adama not being on a trendmill having to go run back to protect the rim. That’s a lot to ask for anyone. He has good feet, if all he has to do is stay in front of someone.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The only player on UConn that would have caused Hopkins any issues would have been AJax but DH wouldn't do it
Sanogo - not even a chance, Samson would have fouled out before the 1st TV TO, AK did the best he could - DC might have made it interesting, Springs? not while he's keeping Andrew company. UConn has no real 4 right now - AK may develop into one with some muscle and work on a mid range game

pj

Reaction Score
Nobody is ignoring the matchup down the other end. There's not a single player in the Big East that can guard Sanogo one on one. Problem is, other teams have figured this out and are doubling him every possession. All playing two bigs does is make it easier to do that because Sanogo has one less shooter to kick it out to.

But he's not that good at kicking out to shooters. He might be better at tossing it up high four feet away for Clingan to go get it.

Reaction Score
I realize this is the thread you started but man are you beating this horse to death. If you want to start Joey C over Newton then that’s one thing, but the double big lineup is a horrible idea and it’s not gonna happen except for short stretches with very specific matchups. The hard hedge isn’t going away either and actually helps us more than you realize. Time to move on from these 2 topics…

Reaction Score
I realize this is the thread you started but man are you beating this horse to death. If you want to start Joey C over Newton then that’s one thing, but the double big lineup is a horrible idea and it’s not gonna happen except for short stretches with very specific matchups. The hard hedge isn’t going away either and actually helps us more than you realize. Time to move on from these 2 topics…
I think starting two bigs… the defense might be alright… I think the problem would be on offense… both play in the lane… not sure if there is enough room for both of them… the spacing would be a problem

Reaction Score
Sanogo and Whaley played together as 2 "Bigs". Coach needs to find a way to get these two more than 40 minutes to share. Sanogo's future is not as a center, he can shoot, so can Clingan. Sanogo is plenty mobile to guard a BE forward. Not saying start or not start both, just play them 5 to 8 minutes together. Bruise brother, run some serious picks for JH and JC.

Reaction Score
Sanogo and Whaley played together as 2 "Bigs". Coach needs to find a way to get these two more than 40 minutes to share. Sanogo's future is not as a center, he can shoot, so can Clingan. Sanogo is plenty mobile to guard a BE forward. Not saying start or not start both, just play them 5 to 8 minutes together. Bruise brother, run some serious picks for JH and JC.
Whaley was one of the best 4 man defenders in the country last year…he was only playing because of his defense. Totally different situation this year. Sanogo doesn’t have the foot speed of Whaley…not even close

Reaction Score
Lol - we tried it for 4 minutes and it worked well. Ultimately, isn’t it about what actual works and what doesn’t?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom