Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs- Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
Jackson is our only plus defender outside of the center position. In all 3 losses, we just haven’t been able to get stops.
Thought Hawkins played good D tonight. Newton kept Kolek under control also. Marquette hit a lot of tough shots!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yeah we played our starters. You know, the guys that have been our best players all year and in practice every day. Players don't always play the same one half to the next. You go with your best guys until you get enough evidence to the contrary. 1 half isn't enough evidence. Sanogo did have a nice minute or two in there in the 2nd where he had a block sandwiched between 2 baskets, but he was bad before and after that, so Hurley pulled him and didn't really go back to him until he absolutely had to, even switching defense to change the game and let us rest a bit on defense.

Our 16-0 run was against a bunch of their backups, who didn't play the last 10 minutes or so. Their starters didn't get tired, because home game energy and good conditioning.
We are talking 4 different sample sizes tonight.

Reaction Score
Because guys get tired lol. What is this. Our best player in this one was a freshman who weighs like 270. He gets tired.
Tired BS. Clingan is in the best condition of ANY BE player.
Not an ounce of fat on that boy. What sacrifice that boy made before season..
Saw it with my own eyes last Saturday. Wants to win like his life depends on it.
Needs and should be in the game all the time . Winner. He and Jackson should never be out of the game. Karabn also when he plays like he did tonight.

Reaction Score
If Sanogo can go 1v1, he’ll dominate every single game.

If he gets double or triple teamed like he did today, there has to be a plan other than try to shove through it and finish over multiple defenders. Really ugly low post game tonight
Do you think he’d be double or triple teamed with Clingan also on the floor????? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Because guys get tired lol. What is this. Our best player in this one was a freshman who weighs like 270. He gets tired.
Right on. it’s easy watching on TV to not realize that the players are tired sometimes and need a break.

Reaction Score
What I observed.
1. We don't have a true point guard. AJax is the next best thing.
2. This was the perfect game for DC in terms of matchups.
3. In big east play AS is not deserving of player of the year.
4. By now, I am sure the scouts are more interested in DC than AS.
5. The offense flows so much better when DC is in.
6. DC is a much better rim protector than AS.
7. JH needs to learn how to create his own shot without having screens set for him.
8. Still a good team that needs to learn how to win on the road. This is a game that we should have won
Agree with everything except this was a game we could have won, not should have won. Marquette was tough.

Reaction Score
We can gripe about coaching (I’m no Hurley fan), defense (why do we consistently give baseline) or officiating (I don’t)…….but the overwhelming problem that will not be resolved until (maybe) next year is that we have no quarterback/playcaller/leader…aka point guard. And every opponent knows it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn is 15-3 so I'm not freaking out. UConn has all 3 teams that beat them at home later in the season,

That being said:
1) I had this game pegged as a L a few weeks back after watching Marquette play at home twice. I saw how Smart kept switching up Defenses and on offense he had a plan and stuck to it. Tonight his defensive plan was to shut down AS and Hawk and let Newton dribble with no idea running the offense with AJ and Karaban taking shots. It worked. When Hawk, Newton and AS came out, UConn was scoring. What was DH's plan? I wish I knew.
2) Nice to see AK get involved offensively - he had the hot hand why didn't DH draw some plays for him to get some more outside shots?
3) DC was a beast. Period. If he gets starter minutes he is a NBE 1st team player. Patient, smart with/without the ball and for the most part, solid on D. If he could develop the mid range game that AS has ignored the kid would be 1st team AA - that's how good he is.
4) Newton is not a PG or a SG - besides the one really good game he had in Oregon, he is lost and not deserving of the minutes he gets.
5) Why hasn't anyone on this team developed to be a true floor leader? Not the rah rah guy that AJ is but a leader who will keep the team in it mentally during close games. Should be AS but he has made to inclination to do so. That is so important to a team - Bazz, KEA, TB, Emeka, CV, Kemba, etc.
6) The refs had some curious late calls and no calls. I saw at lest 4 traveling violations on Marquette players before the hoisted 3s. But the refs were not involved in being blamed for the L
7) UConn has to beat Creighton on the road. Are there any other big game road games left besides that one - the way Creighton is going it might not even be that eye opening. This places UConn in an area of having to be in the final four or even final game of the NBE tournament for seeding purposes. Thank God they won the tournament in Oregon.
8) Being up by 11 after a huge run on the road shut down the crowd and DH made a massive line change - not smart. Keep the pedal to the metal and build up the lead - Mazzulla does that with Celtics and it drives me nuts
All is not lost but not winning at least one of these 3 might bite UConn in the arse seeding wise
Bring on the Johnnies BUT don't take them lightly.

Reaction Score
This is all on Coach Hurley now. He has talented players. It's time for him to step up and coach the team to wins or losses. Lead them to wins. I'm tired of his monotone responses. Either step up or don't step up, we'll see what he is made of

It was almost as if the first half run happened without him knowing about it. And then he had no idea in the second half. I don't think he is the guy who will win championships, at least not on purpose.

Reaction Score
Question. Why are we better than Xavier, Marquette and Providence?
Good question, sobering- I used to think we had no flaws, that on any night anyone could (and that someone would) go off big to get a win. But we aren't better than those teams, and they know how to put out a winning formula regarding defense and offense against us. I think they have steadier, more experienced coaching too. Hurley may get there yet. He is lacking perhaps the ideal player (an aggressive guard) that can open things up and draw fouls on drives. Maybe next year for the missing players- but this year's team is still dangerous, and Clingan keeps getting better and bettert.

Reaction Score
We can gripe about coaching (I’m no Hurley fan), defense (why do we consistently give baseline) or officiating (I don’t)…….but the overwhelming problem that will not be resolved until (maybe) next year is that we have no quarterback/playcaller/leader…aka point guard. And every opponent knows it.
Also, we don't have a wing player who can penetrate consistently off the dribble and score too. Dribble penetration from both guard positions is our achilles heel this year.

Reaction Score
This is all on Coach Hurley now. He has talented players. It's time for him to step up and coach the team to wins or losses. Lead them to wins. I'm tired of his monotone responses. Either step up or don't step up, we'll see what he is made of

It was almost as if the first half run happened without him knowing about it. And then he had no idea in the second half. I don't think he is the guy who will win championships, at least not on purpose.
This team surely isn't fun to watch anymore since they got into big east play.

Reaction Score
The second half is where it counts and we lack a closer when it gets tight. Yiu have to have a couple of go to guys that you can bank on in tight, well contested conference games. We also lack good to very good to elite point guard play. You need that conductor to dictate tempo and hit guys in their spots in rhythm. This is part of the reason we had so many turnovers which kills any momentum we are trying to build. This is also why we had quite a number of dead possessions which is becoming a theme. This is what prevents us from blowing these games wide open against good conference teams.

Our coach has been outcoached in the 3 losses unfortunately. When you have certain obvious mis-matches you have to continue to relentlessly exploit them. AJ appears to be our best hope at the point. Newton needs to get set up for his scoring opportunities. Hawkins needs to find different ways to score when his outside shot or 3 ball is dropping.

Our bench has also become inconsistent. I'm not sure if this team can overcome the lack of having a very good point guard. I'm curious to see how Samson does once he returns. There is a certain level of ruggedness missing from this team. We are all looking for this team to turn a new corner and put it together consistently. In all 3 losses those teams seemed more hungry and opportunistic. We haven't responded well in these situations. Dan Hurley will need to figure this out. It's a trend and a problem now.
I’m curious to see how Sanogo does once he becomes 1st man off the bench.

Reaction Score
Yeah we played our starters. You know, the guys that have been our best players all year and in practice every day. Players don't always play the same one half to the next. You go with your best guys until you get enough evidence to the contrary. 1 half isn't enough evidence. Sanogo did have a nice minute or two in there in the 2nd where he had a block sandwiched between 2 baskets, but he was bad before and after that, so Hurley pulled him and didn't really go back to him until he absolutely had to, even switching defense to change the game and let us rest a bit on defense.

Our 16-0 run was against a bunch of their backups, who didn't play the last 10 minutes or so. Their starters didn't get tired, because home game energy and good conditioning.
Our four best players are: Clingan, Sanogo, Jackson and Hawkins. No one else is even close. Karaban against some match-ups is #5. Newton, Joey C and Diarra, are flipping a coin. Obviously, we need Hawkins and either Karaban, Newton or Joey C on court at same time for outside shooting.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Our four best players are: Clingan, Sanogo, Jackson and Hawkins. No one else is even close. Karaban against some match-ups is #5. Newton, Joey C and Diarra, are flipping a coin. Obviously, we need Hawkins and either Karaban, Newton or Joey C on court at same time for outside shooting.
Meh, when a team shoots 24/32 inside the arc, no one is getting defensive rebounds.

I said this week going into game we were in trouble if we were inbounding all game off made baskets like the xavier game. As great as Clingan was offensively it was his defense that could’ve won it for us.

Reaction Score
Food for thought.

The last time UConn won a true road game against a ranked opponent was January, 2014……….. nine months before we played our first Hockey East game.

Reaction Score
What about Sanogo’s game tonight could possibly make you think playing 2 bigs is the answer? He had 5 turnovers tonight. Put him at the 4 with Clingan and he might have7 or 8 turnovers and Marquette’s four would have eaten him up.
Fair question, but he’s had many good games and needs to be on the court with Clingan to start the game. Let’s dictate matchups for a change!

Reaction Score
I’d love to hear from the fans of playing 2 bigs exactly how this is going to be done. High/low post? Is there any evidence that either of these guys has the passing skills to play the high post? Or the shooting skills to pop jumpers from the FT line?

Both of these guys are low post players who need room to maneuver inside. As much as I agree that we should play the best talent, I just see these two getting in each other’s way if they’re on the floor at the same time.

And defensively, which of them is going to get out of the paint to chase mobile 4’s likeHopkins or Prosper. The modern game is played out on the 3-point line even by 4’s. Sanogo would have to be the guy who would chase out there, but he doesn’t seem to have the quickness for that assignment.

Perhaps they could go to a 3-2 zone like Syracuse does, but Danny is a man-D guy. So that ends that discussion before it’s even begun.

Help me out. I’d really love to figure out how this could work, but I’m just not seeing it.

Reaction Score
I’d love to hear from the fans of playing 2 bigs exactly how this is going to be done. High/low post? Is there any evidence that either of these guys has the passing skills to play the high post? Or the shooting skills to pop jumpers from the FT line?

Both of these guys are low post players who need room to maneuver inside. As much as I agree that we should play the best talent, I just see these two getting in each other’s way if they’re on the floor at the same time.

And defensively, which of them is going to get out of the paint to chase mobile 4’s likeHopkins or Prosper. The modern game is played out on the 3-point line even by 4’s. Sanogo would have to be the guy who would chase out there, but he doesn’t seem to have the quickness for that assignment.

Perhaps they could go to a 3-2 zone like Syracuse does, but Danny is a man-D guy. So that ends that discussion before it’s even begun.

Help me out. I’d really love to figure out how this could work, but I’m just not seeing it.
That is coach’s job to figure out but more of two bigs needs to start now. What we are doing is not working against well coached teams that have the now easy to figure out scouting report at their disposal. Also, hard to believe all you have to do is guard Hawkins tight and we can’t get him a shot or he can’t figure out how to do it. He is way too good of a player. I’m afraid tonight gents we simply just got beat by a team that played better. Going forward Chief is right let other teams adjust to us.

Reaction Score

We’re close to the ideal Syracuse team, we should be playing their zone. We’re getting torched by quick guards and wings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom