OT: - Cheeseburger and Fries Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Cheeseburger and Fries Thread

Reaction Score
I am very triggered waking up and seeing these Chik Fil A and Shake Shack takes. I admit both places have terrible fries and anyone who waits more than 5 minutes is out of their GD minds but the fried chicken at Shake Shack is phenomenal and the Smoke Shack is good. I am having a hard time justifying Chik Fil A now that I consider how much better Shake Shack's fried chicken is but I think the place is decent.

I think the worst burger I have ever had was at Louies Lunch. In and Out was very overrated. Five Guys is good.

For @Rocktheworld, the impossible burger at Plan B could definitely fool someone.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Max Burger East Longmeadow MA just the burger salad is great but their burgers are always good.

The Italian Job at Plan B at the Hoops HOF Springfield it’s actually a chicken burger great flavor.

Standard bacon Cheeseburger @ The Rathskeller in Wakefield RI.

Ted’s in Meriden the steamed burgers are great.

At home key for me is the roll. If you don’t have fresh poppy seed rolls or sesame seed at least you’re in trouble. If you can’t get them maybe a foot potato roll will suffice.
You’re a Meriden guy I think right? Ted’s switched buns a while ago and it hasn’t been the same. When were you last there?

Still beats K Lameys tho I hate that place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife insists on turkey burgers. Sure the meat is healthier but I need to use 2 eggs and a buttload of breadcrumbs so they don’t turn to absolute mush on the grill.
Chopped mushrooms in the burger mix is key for turkey burgers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
At home key for me is the roll. If you don’t have fresh poppy seed rolls or sesame seed at least you’re in trouble. If you can’t get them maybe a foot potato roll will suffice.

No idea what the hell "foot potato" means, but here's a GIS for it:
foot+potato.jpg

Reaction Score
How do fast food burgers come up in a thread about the “best cheeseburger”? I love me some in-out and Shake shack but they don’t belong in this thread. Au Cheval Diner in Chicago, Kuma Burger Chicago, Mustards Grill in Napa, Hodads in San Diego. Those are good fricken cheeseburgers. My homer choice for best burger; The Lucky Beaver in Reno, NV. So damned good. Home | Lucky Beaver Bar & Burger
And who knew CFA sold burgers?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Happy to see nobody wrote Bareburger. Place absolutely sucks. $15 for 1/16th of a pound little patty. Place makes a killing in and around NYC though.

My general rule with burgers is the less fancy, the better.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Cask Republic in New Haven also makes a solid burger.

Reaction Score
Harry's in Colchester is pretty good.

I remember loving Glenwood Drive In in Hamden as a kid but do not know if the place has changed. I have not been there in years.

Glenwood is exactly the same as it ever was...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In n Out burgers are good. Even better if you skip their thousand island dressing. Never get their fries.

Chick Fil A waffle fries are gross too.

I'm not a big McD's fan but they do fries so much better than every other fast food chain.

Only one that comes close is Five Guys if you get fries right out of fryer and eat at the store. After 5 min in brown bag they're saggy and suck.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cory’s used to be good but haven’t been in a few years.

It's out of business now. But I just read somewhere that he's now the head chef at Geno's place in Storrs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One patty down, and place an ice cube in the middle, along with your choice of cheese. Fold the cheese in so it doesn't leak out. Then put another patty on top, and seal around the edges.

Grill three minutes on each side.

Buttered (garlic butter) bread grilled on one side.

It may take a couple tries to get it right.

Sounds a lot like the juicy lucy burgers known around Minnesota. They do the hidden cheese between two patties trick.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In n Out burgers are good. Even better if you skip their thousand island dressing. Never get their fries.

Chick Fil A waffle fries are gross too.

I'm not a big McD's fan but they do fries so much better than every other fast food chain.

Only one that comes close is Five Guys if you get fries right out of fryer and eat at the store. After 5 min in brown bag they're saggy and suck.

Maybe we need a separate fries thread, because I'm up for arguing about this.

I thought the In n Out fries were pretty decent. I haven't liked McD's fries in years. Not going to go "since they stopped using tallow", but there's a chemical/artificial taste with those that didn't used to be there. I like Wendy's fries much better. Five Guys fries are very good for a fast food joint. I don't understand the appeal of CfA waffle fries.

I'm not crazy about Smashburger rosemary fries (which border on potato sticks) as an accompaniment to their burgers, but I could probably eat a ton of them on their own as a TV snack.

When in Pittsburgh, one must go to the "Dirty O" (Original Hot Dog Shop) for fries. They go right from the basket to your tray w/o draining the things. Sometimes they even hold the shape of the fry basket.

Reaction Score
How do fast food burgers come up in a thread about the “best cheeseburger”? I love me some in-out and Shake shack but they don’t belong in this thread. Au Cheval Diner in Chicago, Kuma Burger Chicago, Mustards Grill in Napa, Hodads in San Diego. Those are good fricken cheeseburgers. My homer choice for best burger; The Lucky Beaver in Reno, NV. So damned good. Home | Lucky Beaver Bar & Burger
I have been to Kuma's, Mustard's, Hodad's and Lucky Beaver but in Tahoe. I can second all but while still very good would put Hodad's 4th amongst equals. Then again, you can walk to the beach so that helps.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I use pimento sticks. Don't matter what meats ya use. It's all about the pimento sticks.

And a good blend of American and Swiss cheese.

shut up Dove.
You wouldnt know what to do with a pimento stick. Stick to your idiot proof instapot. The Kitchen device for people with no cooking chops. I have no doubt you cook burgers in that thing.

Reaction Score
85% accurate on the exact facts:
About two months ago, they announced their closing weekend on a Wednesday, gave themselves Thursday off (or was it Friday?) to set up for the grand farewell. By the time the buzz had built & people organized around stopping by one last time, they announced that they'd made arrangements with creditors & others, and the Duck still floats. New Coke-ish, for those whose memory goes back as far as 1985.

As for Shake Shack, not because of anything as legit as the Wooster Street oven producing better pizzas than any other Pepe's, I've enjoyed Bryant Park's Shake Shack any time I've eaten from there, but never in the few times children dragged me there in Westport , so much so that I've never considered going in New Haven, and I'd easily sign on for the thumbs down sentiment.
That is pretty much the Duck story. Patrons even started a go fund me page. The owner, 400 lb. Pete, sits in his bar corner and must consume a litre of Stoli a day. I still like it and been going since the 80s

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom