Charli Collier will announce her college today | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Charli Collier will announce her college today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I realize that Collier had one big offense performance against the weakest team the US faced and then was so ineffective and in so much foul trouble that she ended up averaging 7.7 minutes per game for the entire tourney. Am I supposed to extrapolate those numbers when she wasn't playing well enough to get more than that? Nelson-Ododa played 3 times as much because she was the team's best player. Collier's efficiency rating was 5.9 while Nelson-Ododa's was 15.6, easily the best on the team.

N-O clearly played better but there was no rhyme or reason to any of the substtutions during the summer due to that coaching staff

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Really are we judging her on USA basketball?? Hey Carmelo lead USA in scoring with Lebron on the team. Its different style of basketball

I'm not exactly judging, just mentioning an observation. I did see her play a couple of AAU games before UConn was known to be interested and I thought she showed good skill. Two years of high school left so we'll see how she develops.

Reaction Score
One other thing I'd like to add regarding Buck is that IIRC, Geno did not want to offer her a scholly. It was Tonya or Jamelle (or maybe even Shea?) who told Geno they wanted to offer her. I don't know how often that has happened in the past - where Geno would have preferred to pass on a player, but one (or more) of the assistants spoke up on behalf of the player, but in Heather's case, clearly Geno saw something.

This is not to take anything away from Heather, who by all accounts had a wonderful college experience, became a Nurse, and is happily married. UCONN fans will always remember her herculean effort against Griner in the Baylor game when no one else could guard Brit.

I do agree with Nan (FWIW) that sometimes posters and fans are over the top, especially when projecting how "good" a kid can be when they come to UCONN. Having said that, it's hard to NOT be enthused every time we land a #1, or top 5/10 kid. Even when landing Irwin and Bent, some fans were talking about if/when they could be potential starters. Neither of these kids were ranked even in the top 100 on HG, Molly wasn't ranked in the top in either PN or BS, and Kyla was 104 and 44 respectively. It's hard to hope that realistically these kids will be magical (on the court) at UCONN...
I can't see that it hurts Molly or Kyla that some fans think they might start someday. They might. Sometimes we underrate players we do not see as stars. It happened to me. But I had potential. I might have played for UConn. Unfortunately I went 0 for 20 on my highlight video.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She committed to Texas very young, then reopened recruitment, and now she's committing a year before she can sign(correct?). I wonder if she sees a closing window on a favorite program? That would not be UConn based on our bigs situation. After the reason MW experience I don't know if my shattered nerves are up to this! :confused::eek::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yes . Why not judge her against the highest level of basketball that both players have played?

In Collier's case, I believe she plays for an AAU team which plays a national schedule against some of the best teams in the country.............also Texas basketball is plenty tough these days as they are producing many of the top players out there so she is not simply dominating against inferior talent in every game

Reaction Score
Just looking at twitter accounts im going off the record to say, she will be picking uconn. I dont care what big we get but we need a big incase Azura forgo her senior season

Reaction Score
Did notice this tweet the other day.......very interesting that she is announcing now after absolutely no hints of any kind...if she wants to leave Texas I certainly would have to favor UConn as the best choice for her but the timing of this one tweet gives me a bit of a pause....hoping for the best!!!!

Cx6xfZAWgAEUIPy.jpg:large

årî ‏@_hoopersociety_ Nov 22

Even though the lights went out tonight we still had a good time
1f602.png
#NotreDame @CharliC_14 @SkyDigg4

0 replies4 retweets19 likes
Hmmm. Hope Skylar hasn't infected her mind with Leprechaunitis :mad:

Reaction Score
Whoever the starting center is in 2019-20(assuming Stevens stays both years) will be sharing the court with an extraordinary group of athletes. For example, lets for the sake of discussion say its Walker, Crystal Dangerfield, Coombs and Gordon. I'm not sure we've ever had a group of wings and guards that were as collectively as fast as that group. Having a big presence in the paint that can primarily defend, rebound and get the ball out on the break will facilitate a high speed game that will knock our socks off. From what I've seen of Collier , she could easily be the piece of the puzzle that maybe puts that team in best ever discussion but certainly most entertaining ever. ( sorry if I'm getting ahead of ourselves but it is fun to think about)

Reaction Score
Yes . Why not judge her against the highest level of basketball that both players have played?
Thats not the highest level of basketball its just more physical and fun to play because all the countries they play. But ive played overseas before and relized a player can play good in the states and struggle with international play & vice verss

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
FWIW, Collier retweeted Jim Fuller's tweet mentioning her decision a few hours ago.

Reaction Score
Remember last Feb/March, when the season was coming to a close with its almost inevitable NC, but with a "short" and not abundantly distinguished recruiting class (1 undersized 5-star superstar,; 2 3-stars) and some were wondering whether this was nearing the end for Geno's run? Man, has UConn ever reloaded and reloaded. This will keep Geno challenged and charged for at least another 5-6 years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
FWIW, I wasn't saying Charli is similar to Heather, I was saying that Heather looked great in high school. The situations are parallel, the levels of ability are not.

Nice that people deliberately misunderstood to put down a kid that only tried her best.

Reaction Score
I never saw Hunter. A tragic story, basketball-wise.

Hunter was a very fine talent. She was frequently the best player on the court. But she could only play for about 10 minutes a game, and then she had to skip games due to the chronic pain in her knee. Really sad story. Duke screwed up her health.

Reaction Score
From the little I saw of Charli- is she primarily a center? I know she can shoot a bit. Just a small look I've had but from what I see - she is a 5 - unless she does have good lateral movement and can pass?

Looks like she can develop into a beast on the blocks - and has long arms which is awesome.

Anyone know her wingspan?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UCONN! Welcome Charli!

I told you UConn was trending. After a brief recruiting cold spell, the pendulum is swinging our way again.
The rich get richer, and I love it!!!!!! I don't know about the rest of you f, but this sure makes MY day. Collier has made a decision she will never regret. Belly up to the bar folks, the drinks are on me. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer