Charli Collier will announce her college today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Charli Collier will announce her college today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would love for Ono to become a Husky.

O-N-O has not given any hints as to her ultimate college plans so you know what they say about a bird in the hand............;)

Reaction Score
  1. Another one
  2. In reply to Charli Collier™
    Meg W. ‏@iball_crzy 47m47 minutes agoVirginia, USA
    @CharliC_14 YEAH SIS
    1f914.png

3. Meg W. Retweeted
    Charli Collier™ ‏@CharliC_14 13h13 hours ago
    Announcing where I will be attending college tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I suppose it's normal for fans to:

Idealize recruit's talents prior to their arrival on campus.
Be disappointed/worried post arrival.
See other teams recruits to be superb from day one.
Be confident our recruits shortcomings will quickly improve.

It's not just us. A look at #1'ND's McGraw's bench site and you'll see comments like this:

Boley - Bad defense. Lost on the court.
Mabrey - Not performing. What's wrong? (Until that one recent game).
Turner = Frail body.

And the ultimate in optimism and pessimism Volnation where next year's recruiting class will guarantee several National Championships if the players will ignore Holly and just play.

Perhaps it's normal for all fans to be in a hebephrenic state until reality sets in and the reality of games played brings all down to earth or to the heavens.

Reaction Score

It's not just us. A look at #1'ND's McGraw's bench site and you'll see comments like this:

Turner = Frail body.

And the ultimate in optimism and pessimism Volnation where next year's recruiting class will guarantee several National Championships if the players will ignore Holly and just play.

Perhaps it's normal for all fans to be in a hebephrenic state until reality sets in and the reality of games played brings all down to earth or to the heavens.
1. You win the award for word of the day! (hebephrenic, tragic as it in reality)
2. But you lose on your post: Notre Dame fans are worried for good reason :)

Fanmomma

UCONN WBB ALL DAY
Reaction Score
I think she goes to Storrs :) Can't wait to find out for sure.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Turner = Frail body.

I admit to getting a bit exasperated with this sometimes. I recall the threads declaring Natalie Butler a potential All American before she ever wore a UConn jersey. These threads calling for Crystal to start in place of Saniya based on the Baylor game are more of the same. I guess it's normal fandom, but it gets, well, exasperating that fans can sometimes forget these are human beings, young ones at that, who are prone to doubts and periods of exhaustion, confusion, and outright inexperience that afflict young women everywhere. Just putting on a UConn uniform doesn't change any of that, nor does having the best coaching staff in the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She was badly overshadowed by Nelson-Ododa with team USA this summer. Collier looked very raw to me.
@Sluconn Husky I'm mostly with you Nelson-Ododa had a superior summer and Collier was not even 2nd best post (Bailey was?) but I would still rather have the Kid that knows they want to be at UCONN vs the Kid who who has to be convinced that UCONN is the right place. Also neither player has been exposed to college level coaching yet. That U17 team was all HS coaches and babyBrun hardly got off the bench.
Of course you know my fall back position -UCONN has room for both. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Turner = Frail body.

Agree mostly but pretty sure UCONN can do better than "normal" fans. Damn sure UCONN via BY can do better than either McGraw's bench or Volnation.

Reaction Score
Very fluid body movements, 'All arms & Legs', reminds me of one of our great former centers, Tina Charles !

Reaction Score
Baylor boards say rumor is she will choose UCONN but the Texas board thinks she will choose BU

Reaction Score
Moriah never faced tough competition in high school, either. Anywho, that doesn't change the fact that when you watched Heather play as a high schooler, she had the same look as that highlight video of Charli. And I have to say, lack of footwork was never Heather's problem. Her fundamentals were sound

No, but Jefferson did play for Team USA against the best competition in the world. Buck had that same look against bad competution. Yes, lack of footwork was one of Buck's problems! She struggled with both her drop step and seal step. I agree with you that there are no "locks" when it comes to recruiting but when one succeeds against great competition in AAU and high school it is easier to see how that will continue in college.

Reaction Score
Baylor boards say rumor is she will choose UCONN but the Texas board thinks she will choose BU

Can't imagine she would choose Baylor as they already have four younger players of 6'4" or taller plus one 6'3", could see Texas as they are bringing in only one big so far I believe, can't speak about other Texas schools

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No, but Jefferson did play for Team USA against the best competition in the world. Buck had that same look against bad competution. Yes, lack of footwork was one of Buck's problems! She struggled with both her drop step and seal step. I agree with you that there are no "locks" when it comes to recruiting but when one succeeds against great competition in AAU and high school it is easier to see how that will continue in college.
One other thing I'd like to add regarding Buck is that IIRC, Geno did not want to offer her a scholly. It was Tonya or Jamelle (or maybe even Shea?) who told Geno they wanted to offer her. I don't know how often that has happened in the past - where Geno would have preferred to pass on a player, but one (or more) of the assistants spoke up on behalf of the player, but in Heather's case, clearly Geno saw something.

This is not to take anything away from Heather, who by all accounts had a wonderful college experience, became a Nurse, and is happily married. UCONN fans will always remember her herculean effort against Griner in the Baylor game when no one else could guard Brit.

I do agree with Nan (FWIW) that sometimes posters and fans are over the top, especially when projecting how "good" a kid can be when they come to UCONN. Having said that, it's hard to NOT be enthused every time we land a #1, or top 5/10 kid. Even when landing Irwin and Bent, some fans were talking about if/when they could be potential starters. Neither of these kids were ranked even in the top 100 on HG, Molly wasn't ranked in the top in either PN or BS, and Kyla was 104 and 44 respectively. It's hard to hope that realistically these kids will be magical (on the court) at UCONN...

Reaction Score
You do realize that Collier averaged much better numbers over 40minutes?

O-N-O was clearly quicker running the floor and the more agile athlete of the two from what I saw during the USA play...........not to demean Collier who was clearly stronger in the low post and still pretty athletic for a big...........she appears to have a good inside and mid range game which could clearly be further developed under UConn coaching

Reaction Score
O-N-O was clearly quicker running the floor and the more agile athlete of the two from what I saw during the USA play......not to demean Collier who was clearly stronger in the low post and still pretty athletic for a big......she appears to have a good inside and mid range game which could clearly be further developed under UConn coaching
Who cares??? Maybe they'll both come to UCONN and dominate together!

Reaction Score
O-N-O was clearly quicker running the floor and the more agile athlete of the two from what I saw during the USA play......not to demean Collier who was clearly stronger in the low post and still pretty athletic for a big......she appears to have a good inside and mid range game which could clearly be further developed under UConn coaching

Yeah that is my take on them as well. ONO is leaner, faster, runs the court better, and more athletic. While Collier is bigger, stronger, better technique, and better mid range game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You do realize that Collier averaged much better numbers over 40minutes?

I realize that Collier had one big offense performance against the weakest team the US faced and then was so ineffective and in so much foul trouble that she ended up averaging 7.7 minutes per game for the entire tourney. Am I supposed to extrapolate those numbers when she wasn't playing well enough to get more than that? Nelson-Ododa played 3 times as much because she was the team's best player. Collier's efficiency rating was 5.9 while Nelson-Ododa's was 15.6, easily the best on the team.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be a downer, and I really, really want Charli to come to UConn, but you guys should have seen Heather Buck as a high school player. Strong physique, aggressive nature on offense, dominating presence in the post. I'm not saying this to put Charli down in any way, but to keep warning folks to temper their expectations for freshmen. College is a whole new universe compared to high school and the adjustments are myriad (leaving home, going to college, adjusting to a new coach and team, travel, longer playing schedule etc etc) but for some reason, people seem to expect that freshmen will be fabulous - and consistent - right out of the gate.

Charli has enormous potential and I honestly believe Storrs is the best place to develop it. We fans can help her by not placing the weight of expectations on her and letting her develop in her own time.
Hearher Buck played in connecticut where high school basketball isnt so great. Charli is bigger quicker and has more skills than Buck. And she has a WNBA body already great fit for her if she chooses to go to UCONN

Reaction Score
Who cares??? Maybe they'll both come to UCONN and dominate together!

that would be fantastic and maybe that could be a possibility at UConn with the shortage of post players...............some would say that it's one or the other and that's the reason for the comparison...........

Reaction Score
I realize that Collier had one big offense performance against the weakest team the US faced and then was so ineffective and in so much foul trouble that she ended up averaging 7.7 minutes per game for the entire tourney. Am I supposed to extrapolate those numbers when she wasn't playing well enough to get more than that? Nelson-Ododa played 3 times as much because she was the team's best player. Collier's efficiency rating was 5.9 while Nelson-Ododa's was 15.6, easily the best on the team.
Really are we judging her on USA basketball?? Hey Carmelo lead USA in scoring with Lebron on the team. Its different style of basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom