Charli Collier will announce her college today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charli Collier will announce her college today

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know it's a highlights video, but I have to disagree with HG's ranking of her at #7. I think the other rankings of #1 and #2 are more accurate. She has range, agility, length, and skills.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a reminder, Charli visited for First Night and left with an offer, some nice memories, and a few photos.

charli_visit-jpg.16195

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hopefully ONO and Christyn aren't far behind. What a bunch of nasty years for other teams in WCBB upcoming.

I would love for Ono to become a Husky.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I know it's a highlights video, but I have to disagree with HG's ranking of her at #7. I think the other rankings of #1 and #2 are more accurate. She has range, agility, length, and skills.

She was badly overshadowed by Nelson-Ododa with team USA this summer. Collier looked very raw to me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She was badly overshadowed by Nelson-Ododa with team USA this summer. Collier looked very raw to me.
She apparently upped her intensity after her father passed away in the spring. I am aware that ONO has jumped in the rankings and possibly passed Charli, but Charli looks better than a #7 player in the video.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She apparently upped her intensity after her father passed away in the spring. I am aware that ONO has jumped in the rankings and possibly passed Charli, but Charli looks better than a #7 player in the video.

She's certainly too good for those high school opponents and is skilled. But unlike NO who looks like she's not far from being able to compete on the college level already, I think Collier may be a work in progress.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Blue chip recruits very often fall into one of these categories:

Those that want to play for UConn to win NC's :); or,

Those that want to go elsewhere to beat UConn to win an NC.:(

We now expect to find out tomorrow if Charli will opt to emulate Megan (most recent of many) or "the ones that got away" most recently, Cox comes to mind).

I like our chances. ;)

Stay tuned.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If UConn gets her... geesh, Geno will be around for another 6yrs! She's a must have, did her Pops visit UConn with her?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes and Yes. She also has a solid build and damn near a WNBA body right now.

I don't want to be a downer, and I really, really want Charli to come to UConn, but you guys should have seen Heather Buck as a high school player. Strong physique, aggressive nature on offense, dominating presence in the post. I'm not saying this to put Charli down in any way, but to keep warning folks to temper their expectations for freshmen. College is a whole new universe compared to high school and the adjustments are myriad (leaving home, going to college, adjusting to a new coach and team, travel, longer playing schedule etc etc) but for some reason, people seem to expect that freshmen will be fabulous - and consistent - right out of the gate.

Charli has enormous potential and I honestly believe Storrs is the best place to develop it. We fans can help her by not placing the weight of expectations on her and letting her develop in her own time.

Reaction Score
She could certainly succeed offensively at the collegiate level. But for being the best professional possible, she needs to be quicker to take complete advantage of her being an outside threat who can drive off of that. I believe you can actually teach quickness, up to a point. Not just exercises that develop quick twitch and explosiveness, but putting her in competitive situations that emphasize attacking from the 3 and 4 positions--in other words, motion offense--that would help her think more in the attacking mode. I think if she chose Baylor instead, she wouldn't get that nearly so much.

What the tape doesn't show at all is how well she rebounds, how well she jumps (at 6'5" in high school you don't have to jump very high!), how physical she is, etc. And how instinctive she is at following the ball off the rim, as well as how quick she is as a defender. A kid blessed with a body like that should use it by being absolutely ferocious and maintaining a very high motor.

In short, from the 2 minutes here, she's got a huge upside, but definitely needs to continue to progress, as Nan alerts above. Of course, all reports are that she's a fantastic kid and would thrive at UConn. Hope it works out for everyone.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be a downer, and I really, really want Charli to come to UConn, but you guys should have seen Heather Buck as a high school player. Strong physique, aggressive nature on offense, dominating presence in the post. I'm not saying this to put Charli down in any way, but to keep warning folks to temper their expectations for freshmen. College is a whole new universe compared to high school and the adjustments are myriad (leaving home, going to college, adjusting to a new coach and team, travel, longer playing schedule etc etc) but for some reason, people seem to expect that freshmen will be fabulous - and consistent - right out of the gate.

Charli has enormous potential and I honestly believe Storrs is the best place to develop it. We fans can help her by not placing the weight of expectations on her and letting her develop in her own time.

I agree that every recruit is a gamble and there are no "sure things" except death and taxes. However, the biggest difference between Buck and Collier is the level of competition that they each faced. Collier has proven herself against the best in Texas, the best in the US in AAU, and the best in the world in Team USA. Buck played against some of the worst competition in the country that is Connecticut high school basketball, a very "meh" AAU team in the Breakers, and never made a Team USA roster.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I never thought Heather played against quality players and if she did, the Bear lost! I never thought Buck was "UConn ready"... I preferred her going to Holy Cross BUT that's water under the bridge now

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree that every recruit is a gamble and there are no "sure things" except death and taxes. However, the biggest difference between Buck and Collier is the level of competition that they each faced. Collier has proven herself against the best in Texas, the best in the US in AAU, and the best in the world in Team USA. Buck played against some of the worst competition in the country that is Connecticut high school basketball, a very "meh" AAU team in the Breakers, and never made a Team USA roster.
Moriah never faced tough competition in high school, either. Anywho, that doesn't change the fact that when you watched Heather play as a high schooler, she had the same look as that highlight video of Charli. And I have to say, lack of footwork was never Heather's problem. Her fundamentals were sound

When UConn kids struggle, the problems are usually between the ears. I'm just saying folks should temper their expectations and let kids learn to deal with their doubts, if any, in their own time. I hope Charli comes out of high school like Crystal, mentally, but if she doesn't, to not be surprised and act like she's somehow let them down. There are some in this crowd that can turn on players that don't live up to their expectations of them.

Reaction Score
Did notice this tweet the other day.................very interesting that she is announcing now after absolutely no hints of any kind.............if she wants to leave Texas I certainly would have to favor UConn as the best choice for her but the timing of this one tweet gives me a bit of a pause........................hoping for the best!!!!

Cx6xfZAWgAEUIPy.jpg:large

årî ‏@_hoopersociety_ Nov 22

Even though the lights went out tonight we still had a good time
1f602.png
#NotreDame @CharliC_14 @SkyDigg4

0 replies4 retweets19 likes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online