Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Woohoo!!!

Charli Collier™ ‏@CharliC_14 3m3 minutes ago
The Next Chapter.
1f436.png

CyNPDUcVQAE2ZhQ.jpg

...................And with this announcement, the rest of WCBB shutters in dis-belief and bewilderment, knowing that the UConn Juggernaut is alive and well again. And everybody said..................AMEN.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
From the little I saw of Charli- is she primarily a center? I know she can shoot a bit. Just a small look I've had but from what I see - she is a 5 - unless she does have good lateral movement and can pass?

Looks like she can develop into a beast on the blocks - and has long arms which is awesome.

Anyone know her wingspan?

From her highlight video , she looks like a power forward / post at heart, as she seems most comfortable posting up and receiving the ball with her back to the basket and then creating. So I guess I would call her a real 4 or 4/5. However she has quite a good handle for a post (not like Stewie but better than Stef from what little I've seen) and definitely has a good midrange jumper and even a 3-ball to stretch defenses. I did also see a couple nice hi-lo passes that she fired from the FT line so that would be awesome if she's comfortable in that role, a la Stef. Clearly she is comfortable down low, but if she can move from low to high and be effective from both spots she will be tremendous for us.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I wasn't saying Charli is similar to Heather, I was saying that Heather looked great in high school. The situations are parallel, the levels of ability are not.

Nice that people deliberately misunderstood to put down a kid that only tried her best.

I really hope that this wasn't directed at me!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
What about a cross between Tina, Morgan and Maya the way she shoots those three's?
Well, could be. I never thought of it that way. The Morgan was based on her footwork and being able to shoot the three.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
FWIW, I wasn't saying Charli is similar to Heather, I was saying that Heather looked great in high school. The situations are parallel, the levels of ability are not.

Nice that people deliberately misunderstood to put down a kid that only tried her best.
Thanks Nan for standing up for a young lady whose only sin as a player was not living up to the expectations of others. If I ever fall into that category please feel free to remind me as often as necessary.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I expect one, possibly 2 more for the class and it will wrap up 2018 for UCONN.

IMO it will be Williams and another post player if they are willing to commit.

Reaction Score
I never saw Hunter. A tragic story, basketball-wise.
OH NO, not tragic---great story---Duke couldn't or wouldn't fix her leg and Geno jumped in and had UConn do it. She was given a RARE opportunity--she played when she wanted to--when she was up to it--and in those times she was exceptional.
Great story--great display of a tough guy, wise guy Italian whose heart went out for a great kid--whose parent made her turn down his offer INITIALLY to come to Ct--where she wanted to go. Beautiful , just beautiful!!! If anything sum's up the UConn WWB Family program---that is it!!

Reaction Score
I can't see that it hurts Molly or Kyla that some fans think they might start someday. They might. Sometimes we underrate players we do not see as stars. It happened to me. But I had potential. I might have played for UConn. Unfortunately I went 0 for 20 on my highlight video.

The thing with Molly and Kyla is: Geno, Shea, Christine, Marissa saw something in both of them. Geno has spoken of Molly's basketball IQ--her sound fundamentals, her ability to SEE the floor. Lots of intangibles--nothing about stats-. Stats does not always tell the story.
Kyla--assets ; her mother coached her, she played as an undersized post, again has the BB IQ and fundamental.
Does Uconn need ---or want--8 super stars?? Someone has to do the dirty work without the cheering section screaming their names.

Heather Buck---She was HIGHLY touted by the local press, media, and FAN's--but not all fans. If we fans read the highlighted over stated abilities of any player --don't be surprised when FAN's are disappointed. Heather had 2 almost great games--Griner and her final game. Prior in the seasons --her team mates did not like putting the ball into the post--she wouldn't shoot (usually).
But think of this: How many players play for 4 year in College and never have a good game--she had 2 great games!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
With Charli in the fold and if we are so lucky to get a commitment from Williams (2018) and Sam (2019), Tony will be able to refresh his 195-0 prediction :)
Never mind Tony - I think there would be many UCONN fans to jump on the "umpteen-0" prediction! Seriously though - can you imagine a starting lineup of Danger, Williams, Walker, Samuelson, and Stevens with Charli, Napheesa, Batouly, Andra, Lexi, Mikayla, Kyla and Molly off the bench? Not saying that would be the starting lineup - probably Coombs would start over Christyn, but you get my point...

That would be a team of 5 players ranked #3 or higher - just a menagerie of talent - even coming off the bench. Truly a great time to be a UCONN fan. We just keep rolling. Even next year - we only lose Saniya and Tierney and bring in Camara, Stevens, Coombs, Espinosa, and Gordon. I know we will be challenged by several teams, but it's fantastical to think about the potential of what the upcoming groups could accomplish...

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'll say this just one more time, then no more.....to WCBB, If you have any aspirations of beating UConn, or really sticking it to them, you'd better do it THIS year. Because starting next year, and for the foreseeable future, UConn is going to be "Filthy McNasty" good, and you really won't want to see them on your schedule. :cool:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The rich get richer...meaning the rich get another great prospect who will be as a good as Geno wants her to be.

Folks, I'm not going to predict when NC #12 happens, but I firmly believe it's coming. If Geno builds it, they will come...and then build it themselves anew.

I love this program. Happy Holidays to all!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thats not the highest level of basketball its just more physical and fun to play because all the countries they play. But ive played overseas before and relized a player can play good in the states and struggle with international play & vice verss
Perhaps we are talking past each other. USA basketball, regardless of the age group, is the highest level of basketball and the best preparation for WCBB. AAU is a joke and HS basketball for the most part is more laughable.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I'm not exactly judging, just mentioning an observation. I did see her play a couple of AAU games before UConn was known to be interested and I thought she showed good skill. Two years of high school left so we'll see how she develops.

You need to own your posts. You are judgmental whenever you can be.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Carnac

Reaction Score
I know it's a highlights video, but I have to disagree with HG's ranking of her at #7. I think the other rankings of #1 and #2 are more accurate. She has range, agility, length, and skills.

With all of those skills, she's the PERFECT UConn recruit. The envelope says: She'll be a fan favorite her first day on campus. :)

Reaction Score
She was badly overshadowed by Nelson-Ododa with team USA this summer. Collier looked very raw to me.

Ododa led the team in scoring and rebounding. Collier was about sixth in scoring. No comparison.

Is there any real chance of getting the pure post player Ododa and the more "forward" Collier? I think they would compliment each other: a sort of Tina and Breanna, though those two didn't play together.

Is Coach Geno serious about both? Or did he want one or the other?

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Odd led the team in scoring and rebounding. Collier was about sixth in scoring. No comparison.

Is there any real chance of getting the pure post player Ododa and the more "forward" Collier? I think they would compliment each other: a sort of Tina and Breanna, though those two didn't play together.

Is Coach Geno serious about both? Or did he want one or the other?
Good questions. I think Charli was a much stronger UConn lean. Olivia has not updated her list in a while, I believe. At one point, we were not on it. I think she is on Geno's list, though. We'll keep our ears open. I think Geno also likes NaLyssa Smith, a very highly regarded PF from San Antonio. Is Coach interested in a second "big" from 2018? I don't know. My guess is that if he likes the person and the player, he is.

Can Olivia and Charli play together? I'm thinking they can.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Never mind Tony - I think there would be many UCONN fans to jump on the "umpteen-0" prediction! Seriously though - can you imagine a starting lineup of Danger, Williams, Walker, Samuelson, and Stevens with Charli, Napheesa, Batouly, Andra, Lexi, Mikayla, Kyla and Molly off the bench? Not saying that would be the starting lineup - probably Coombs would start over Christyn, but you get my point...

That would be a team of 5 players ranked #3 or higher - just a menagerie of talent - even coming off the bench. Truly a great time to be a UCONN fan. We just keep rolling. Even next year - we only lose Saniya and Tierney and bring in Camara, Stevens, Coombs, Espinosa, and Gordon. I know we will be challenged by several teams, but it's fantastical to think about the potential of what the upcoming groups could accomplish...
We also bring in Megatron.

This is an appropriate photo, because Geno hit the jackpot.

57e08bf5a9e45.image.jpg

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I haven't been through this entire thread, but I'll add here that I'm ecstatic about Geno recruiting Texas. We had Moriah, we'll have Lexi, and a year later, we'll have both Lexi and Charli...all in the Nutmeg State!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
No, but Jefferson did play for Team USA against the best competition in the world. Buck had that same look against bad competution. Yes, lack of footwork was one of Buck's problems! She struggled with both her drop step and seal step. I agree with you that there are no "locks" when it comes to recruiting but when one succeeds against great competition in AAU and high school it is easier to see how that will continue in college.
exactly... and we did see "speed and ball-handling skills" in Moriah no matter who the competition was

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You need to own your posts. You are judgmental whenever you can be.

If you think my pointing out that Collier looked raw to me when I saw her play this summer is "judgmental" then you need to quit following sports and conversing with those who do. Strangely, you seem to ignore the umpteen thousand other comments I've made about UConn recruits and targets including Collier herself.

So for the record, I never backed off my comment. She looked raw. She was foul prone. She was miles and miles behind Nelson-Ododa. Deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom