Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think she'll still be used in a match up against some of the bigger slower posts next year.....but I would say that Bent, Irwin and Butler will certainly see more minutes this year then next unless they find another gear by the end of the season..
Of the 3, I believe that Bent has the best opportunity to establish herself this year to be in the regular rotation next year, starting with Chattanooga tomorrow night if she plays well.

Reaction Score
We are definitely diverging. Maya was/is built well enough to play multiple positions on the court including PF.
Here is a picture of Stewie & Azura together, please note the apprciable difference in the definition of the arms and shoulders. I don't know how else to try and explain it to you.
650x366

I don't know how to explain it to you further - back at you. A player averages 9.6 rebounds per game in the ACC, considered a top 5 player or about that right now or to start next year, who is 6'6 tall and part of your reply to me is looking at picture from last year and you can't project that she will have more definition for next year? Stewie's 1st year she couldn't much at all inside and you're trying to come at me with this?

Secondly. Maya was no more "built" to play pf than Stevens will be ready to play Center.

I don't agree with you here. Don't agree with how you are looking at anything when it comes to Stevens.

Reaction Score
I never and would never suggested Azura was soft! Don't know where you are coming from with this!

Of course you implied it. You made the following comment:

Azura will start IMO but I firmly believe you will need a Batouly or Natalie starting alongside her for post Defense."

You saw with your own eyes the terrific job Collier and Gabby did with Baylor. In the last 7 minutes - when the game was decided -- they played post defense!!! Your comment in italics is suggesting Stevens NEEDS Butler.

**********But in the last minutes in which UConn won vs Baylor Collier and Gabby didn't NEED Butler. Butler went to the bench. If what you're saying is true that Stevens NEEDS Butler, and she is 6'6 -- (and you also seemed to think the prior post you sent to me was relevant because of "arm definition," then you are absolutely "telling me" she is soft. You mean weak arms and a 6'6 player, that isn't sturdy and that needs a defender like Butler but the smaller Collier didn't in which you don't seem so high on her post defense anyways as a post defender, so you're trying to suggest that you didn't mean to say Stevens wasn't soft? Everything you said to me and above implies Stevens is soft. By trying to tell me you didn't imply that she was soft with all the other points you've made about Stevens, it's like telling me you aren't hitting me as your fists keep bashing against my face. IF Stevens wasn't soft she wouldn't need "Butler" anymore than Collier did. The fact you say she needs it - and her not being sturdy and has weak arm definition tells me you are in fact telling me so.

**And as I've mentioned -as Geno has said- "they have to guard us too." A lineup of Center Stevens and a pf of Collier- good luck with any team trying to guard that if you've got big posts - especially with our backcourt we'll have superior ball movement. Also, many teams - their big posts struggle to pass out of double teams and some teams have bigs but don't shoot well. Next year the team that has everything and can blast us inside- they are like the boogeyman- a myth in which size becomes exaggerated/overrated. Their size can't defend our ball movement/ skill. Once the leads expands more and more- gradually the team must try to win and shoot 3's- -- game over.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Of course you implied it. You made the following comment:

Azura will start IMO but I firmly believe you will need a Batouly or Natalie starting alongside her for post Defense."

You saw with your own eyes the terrific job Collier and Gabby did with Baylor. In the last 7 minutes - when the game was decided -- they played post defense!!! Your comment in italics is suggesting Stevens NEEDS Butler.

**********But in the last minutes in which UConn won vs Baylor Collier and Gabby didn't NEED Butler. Butler went to the bench. If what you're saying is true that Stevens NEEDS Butler, and she is 6'6 -- (and you also seemed to think the prior post you sent to me was relevant because of "arm definition," then you are absolutely "telling me" she is soft. You mean weak arms and a 6'6 player, that isn't sturdy and that needs a defender like Butler but the smaller Collier didn't in which you don't seem so high on her post defense anyways as a post defender, so you're trying to suggest that you didn't mean to say Stevens wasn't soft? Everything you said to me and above implies Stevens is soft. By trying to tell me you didn't imply that she was soft with all the other points you've made about Stevens, it's like telling me you aren't hitting me as your fists keep bashing against my face. IF Stevens wasn't soft she wouldn't need "Butler" anymore than Collier did. The fact you say she needs it - and her not being sturdy and has weak arm definition tells me you are in fact telling me so.

**And as I've mentioned -as Geno has said- "they have to guard us too." A lineup of Center Stevens and a pf of Collier- good luck with any team trying to guard that if you've got big posts - especially with our backcourt we'll have superior ball movement. Also, many teams - their big posts struggle to pass out of double teams and some teams have bigs but don't shoot well. Next year the team that has everything and can blast us inside- they are like the boogeyman- a myth in which size becomes exaggerated/overrated. Their size can't defend our ball movement/ skill. Once the leads expands more and more- gradually the team must try to win and shoot 3's- -- game over.
Stop being so obstinate.
I never said or implied and would never suggested Azura was soft!
I consider that a very ignorant statement on your part.

Reaction Score
DeRosa.jpeg

So, I think Coco's point isn't that AZ is soft, but especially against some teams that stack bigs (like USC and Baylor) the team would be more effective with a true 5 behind her, like Batouly or Natalie.

But I think that next year there will be far too much talent sitting on the bench for there to be a set line-up like that, game after game. With Crystal at the 1, Kia at the 2, and Lou at the 3, Geno is going to need to fit AZ, Pheesa, and Gabby into 2 positions, not to mention a true 5 under certain circumstances and next year's incredibly talented freshmen.

And besides that juggling, I think we can't know fully until we see AZ on the court next year. Clearly, she's on a pre-professional track, which means she's likely trying very hard right now to beef up in preparation for a very different game eventually. And finally, maybe by next fall, Geno will have a better sense of whether AZ is a one-and-done or is interested in staying for another year, and that information might affect how he views player development with an eye toward 2017/18.

Reaction Score
Of the 3, I believe that Bent has the best opportunity to establish herself this year to be in the regular rotation next year, starting with Chattanooga tomorrow night if she plays well.

I just don't see how any of Bent, Butler, or Irwin can garner anything but late minutes in blowouts next year. That is not an attack against them but more an observation as to just how talented the rest of the roster will be.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just don't see how any of Bent, Butler, or Irwin can garner anything but late minutes in blowouts next year. That is not an attack against them but more an observation as to just how talented the rest of the roster will be.
I agree that it will not be easy for any of the 3 aforementioned players to earn playing time next year, but I base my suggestion that Bent may just make it into next year's rotation on the following assumptions:

- Other than the 2nd half of the FL ST game, Saniya has shown very little. Danger will ultimately start at PG. IMO, if Bent continues to improve, she will be the 1st guard of the bench this year, garnering significant minutes this year.
- While UConn is clearly loaded next year, I would suggest that most of the incoming talent fits into the 2, 3, 4 & 5 slots. IMO only Danger & Bent are true PG's. If Bent can convince Geno to trust her running the point, she will earn some time off the bench, at a minimum when Danger needs a break.
- Finally, with all of the players that Geno has next year (14), I wouldn't be surprised if UConn presses and traps all over the court. Players occasionally will get into foul trouble and they will get winded. With Bent's quickness and her ability to run all day, she could be valuable off the bench in a pressing/trapping defense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That will be a nice problem to have for the staff. I would rather be on this side (too many good player) of that equation. One option is to go up tempo and trap, run the other teams into submission.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Who will be the backup point guard behind Crystal next year? To me, Molly is the most obvious choice, and she should be a very good choice.

Of the six new players next year, Mikayla Coombs is the only one that could plausibly play that position. I don't doubt that Coombs is probably a better athlete than Molly, but as a freshman will she have the seasoning to run the point for the UConn offense, even as a backup?

Regarding the front court next year, I expect that Azura will start as the center and play as Stewie did: guarding the rim on defense and moving all over the court on offense while being a threat from almost anywhere. Napheesa will be perfectly adequate "4" playing next to her. I do think Batouly will see significant minutes as a 4 also. Judging from the practice on Sunday, Batouly seems to have everything that a good power forward needs, except maybe a couple of inches of size (but that never bothered Morgan Tuck). Batouly has speed, is athletic, is very strong, and appears to have an appetite for physical play. Her "putback" shot seems to be reliable. I doubt very much that she has the scoring ability of Napheesa or the instinct for where the rebound will fall, or for that matter the passing skills that Napheesa is developing as she plays every game this year. That's why I think Napheesa will start as the 4.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who will be the backup point guard behind Crystal next year? To me, Molly is the most obvious choice, and she should be a very good choice.
Of the six new players next year, Mikayla Coombs is the only one that could plausibly play that position. I don't doubt that Coombs is probably a better athlete than Molly, but as a freshman will she have the seasoning to run the point for the UConn offense, even as a backup?
The backup PG role might be the easiest way to get Megan into the rotation. Minutes on the wing are going to be scarce even with Napheesa playing the 4 because you still have to account for Gabby & KLS.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let's hope they have her bulking up in the weight room this redshirt year, muscle up for 2017-18

In the interview I posted earlier - from early sophomore year - she said she was trying to do that. Coco may be right; her genetics may inhibit the effort. However, you can be long and lanky and very strong. Sure, you can be bumped off the defensive block, but there are compensating moves. She can front and smother most posts when required, but I see Batouly taking care of a lot of business down there.

Reaction Score

Regarding the front court next year, I expect that Azura will start as the center and play as Stewie did: guarding the rim on defense and moving all over the court on offense while being a threat from almost anywhere. Napheesa will be perfectly adequate "4" playing next to her. I do think Batouly will see significant minutes as a 4 also. Judging from the practice on Sunday, Batouly seems to have everything that a good power forward needs, except maybe a couple of inches of size (but that never bothered Morgan Tuck). Batouly has speed, is athletic, is very strong, and appears to have an appetite for physical play. Her "putback" shot seems to be reliable. I doubt very much that she has the scoring ability of Napheesa or the instinct for where the rebound will fall, or for that matter the passing skills that Napheesa is developing as she plays every game this year. That's why I think Napheesa will start as the 4.

ASGR has Combs ranked as the #4 recruit overall in her class. It's difficult for a freshman to get a lot of playing time for UConn but I have to believe that sometime during the year she will be the first pg option off the bench. Too much talent not to.
Which also makes it more difficult to secure C. Williams
in the following class. She's first on my non-post wish list for 2018. As it is, if we secure ODO or N. Smith in 2018, the rest of wcbb will be saying uncle before the start of that season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno has ever 'juggled' his starting line-up during a season - he may have changed it based on players not performing well or others performing better, but not switching it game to game based on the opponents line-up. What does change is how quickly he may go to the bench to alter the balance of the team. He likes his players to 'know their roles' so they can get into a routine leading up to tip-off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The backup PG role might be the easiest way to get Megan into the rotation. Minutes on the wing are going to be scarce even with Napheesa playing the 4 because you still have to account for Gabby & KLS.
IMO Megan is "college ready" right now. She has size, strength, handle & the ability to score inside & out. I know I am going out on the limb here, but I respectfully suggest that if Megan improves her defense she will push Kia at the 2 guard for playing time next year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With what UConn has I can play point guard for the Huskies. They are that good. BTW Im still pretty good. LOL Next season will be the start of 6 more years of number 1. Its going to be very hard to keep up with UConn. You know I watch WCBB games and see teams with height and they just dont play like UConn bigs play thus Butler Camara and Stevens transferring. The problem now is UConn is loaded for the few seasons.

We're Going to the VERY Top...again

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO Megan is "college ready" right now. She has size, strength, handle & the ability to score inside & out. I know I am going out on the limb here, but I respectfully suggest that if Megan improves her defense she will push Kia at the 2 guard for playing time next year.
I will gladly go out on that limb with you.

Reaction Score
With what UConn has I can play point guard for the Huskies. They are that good. BTW Im still pretty good. LOL Next season will be the start of 6 more years of number 1. Its going to be very hard to keep up with UConn. You know I watch WCBB games and see teams with height and they just dont play like UConn bigs play thus Butler Camara and Stevens transferring. The problem now is UConn is loaded for the few seasons.

We're Going to the VERY Top...again
As Geno causes college basketball coaching records fall by the wayside , the one record that Wooden still has that some have considered a never to be broken record is the 7 consecutive NCs. Should good fortune shine on UCONN this year , one has to like the possibility of that record being broken. Should good fortune shine elsewhere, one has to like our chances of starting a very nice streak. Its good to be a UCONN fan.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
With what UConn has I can play point guard for the Huskies. They are that good. BTW Im still pretty good. LOL Next season will be the start of 6 more years of number 1.

Tony, I went along with your 195-0 prediction but this suggestion that you can somehow be a transgender replacement for Crystal Dangerfield is taking optimism to a stratospheric delusional level. Please take your meds and enjoy the game.:)

Reaction Score
Yep, we're cringing. If UCONN wins the title this year, we could easily be looking at 8-9 straight titles in Storrs.

I know that other program do not have the luxury to recruit in the same way that Connecticut does, but every season, Geno recruits 1-2 standout kids, and 1-2 players who know they'll be a role player or see limited minutes at UCONN. Ones who are not happy with this usually fizzle out, the program consistently has a couple of star upperclassmen and 1-2 star underclassmen waiting in the wings. From how he builds his rosters, it seems like Geno intentionally leaves gaps at positions where he wants a stud player to fit in. There was a perfect opening for KLS with the graduation of KML, a perfect opening for Dangerfield with Jefferson leaving, a perfect opening for Walker since UCONN needed guard/forwards her class, a perfect opening for Collier with the graduation of Butler and no true post players on the roster, etc. Obviously, top kids have confidence that they'll earn their playing time no matter where they go, but Geno almost seems to create the perfect vacancy for the top kids he recruits, and whether it is said or not, they know they'll be able to slide in nicely from day 1.

Back to Collier--she looks like a classic four who can fill the void in the post. A true 5 will not be needed with UCONN's roster since they'll have Napheesa Collier, Charli Collier and Azure Stevens who can man time inside. I imagine 2018 and 2019 will be similar to how UCONN thrived without a 'true center' in 2002, 2009, 2010, 2015 (besides Stokes in limited minutes), and 2016. Charli has a good strong build, good agility and footwork, and she is very very smooth around the basket. I think she'll have a role similar to the one Charles had at UCONN where she is going to be a primary post but has a good face up game and will be the shot blocker inside.

Collier is ranked #7, but I think she's more "college ready" than some of the prospects ahead of her. Obviously, she still has 2 years of high school/AAU ball to go, but I see her being a strong contributor from day 1 and will likely start for 3 years.

UCONN's roster in 2018-19 looks like:
F-Azure Stevens (RS-Sr)...AA honors at Duke
F-KLS (Sr)..2015#1 recruit
F-Collier (Sr)..2015 top 10 recruit
G/F-Walker (So)...2017 #1 recruit
G-Dangerfield (So)...2016 #3 recruit

F/C-Collier...2018 top 10 recruit
G-Bent (Jr)
F-Irwin (Jr)
G-Coombs (So)
G-Gordon (So)
G-Hunter (So)
Nice recap but wouldn't Dangerfield be a Jr.?

Reaction Score
View attachment 17236

So, I think Coco's point isn't that AZ is soft, but especially against some teams that stack bigs (like USC and Baylor) the team would be more effective with a true 5 behind her, like Batouly or Natalie.

But I think that next year there will be far too much talent sitting on the bench for there to be a set line-up like that, game after game. With Crystal at the 1, Kia at the 2, and Lou at the 3, Geno is going to need to fit AZ, Pheesa, and Gabby into 2 positions, not to mention a true 5 under certain circumstances and next year's incredibly talented freshmen.

And besides that juggling, I think we can't know fully until we see AZ on the court next year. Clearly, she's on a pre-professional track, which means she's likely trying very hard right now to beef up in preparation for a very different game eventually. And finally, maybe by next fall, Geno will have a better sense of whether AZ is a one-and-done or is interested in staying for another year, and that information might affect how he views player development with an eye toward 2017/18.

I think that was exactly his point when he says ("not sturdy," "look at her arms and shoulders, NEEDS Butler while -- though we see Collier didn't. To me if you were to describe a soft palyer these would be the type of things you do to describe a soft player when they are a wcbb that stand 6'6.)--
Anyways I'd like to ask you two questions because I do respect your opinion and coco's - he'll get over our dispute: You're both good posters. I fear coco will get upset but oh well---
-------------------

Question 1: If Napheesa Collier could handle Baylor's low post (i.e. "didn't need Butler") especially when it came crunch time the last 7.5 minutes of the game while she was playing alongside with Gabby, why would anyone think Stevens couldn't handle unless she had Butler? You'd have to think Collier and Gabby are superior post players. UCONN handled Baylor in the post. We won the game. Which leads me Question 2:

Question 2-- : You speak of "having a true 5 behind Stevens vs the big teams. But if you are Baylor next year, can you please explain how you can defend Stevens and Collier with the two bigs they threw at us this year? Collier's shooting has improved this year so I expect it will take another good jump. Both Stevens and Collier are more athletic. So imo it makes no sense to deliberately slow the game down with a "less talented low post player" in Natalie in which we'll be forced to play a more slow down game which may be ta the pace Baylor wants. Instead they would have little chance to defend Stevens and Collier, right? We have this probable super bench and amazing athleticism all over the court and tremendous guard play and a freak shooter in Lou -- so I don't see why we'd consider forcing ourselves to slow down the game to defend with a slower big when we've already beaten them with a very small team.

*********I do think Camara could start alongside Stevens. But that is different than Butler. Camara has potential to be an all-american the way it sounds from other posters.
-----------
I would be absolutely ecstatic of Charli is quicker than I thought and can be a menacing "Stewart" at the defensive end.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
hoopkuskee - you want a big when playing against a big line-up because if you don't have one, you run the risk of exactly what happened in the Baylor and FSU games - when an undersized player is playing against a big, they are much more likely to pick up fouls because they need to use elbows and quick hands to have a chance, and those tactics can lead to extra fouls - both Napheesa and Gabby rode the pine for long stretches in both of those games - luckily for Uconn against Baylor, Brown also picked up quick fouls and sat for most of the first half and for extended minutes in the second. In both games Butler came in and played 15 minutes of foul free defense and rebounding. And part of why she didn't foul was because she didn't need to use 'tricks' to maintain defensive position - she could lean against the bigs just as hard as they were leaning against her.

Yes you have an advantage at the other end with your quickness, but it then becomes a balance between your quicks being able to score more than their bigs. If Baylor had been better/more patient at getting the ball to their bigs (or less willing for their wings to hoist shots) the equation could have turned against Uconn. It will be interesting should we meet them in the NCAAs to see whether they have solved that, and if they have, how Uconn can counter that.

Reaction Score
hoopkuskee - you want a big when playing against a big line-up because if you don't have one, you run the risk of exactly what happened in the Baylor and FSU games - when an undersized player is playing against a big, they are much more likely to pick up fouls because they need to use elbows and quick hands to have a chance, and those tactics can lead to extra fouls - both Napheesa and Gabby rode the pine for long stretches in both of those games - luckily for Uconn against Baylor, Brown also picked up quick fouls and sat for most of the first half and for extended minutes in the second. In both games Butler came in and played 15 minutes of foul free defense and rebounding. And part of why she didn't foul was because she didn't need to use 'tricks' to maintain defensive position - she could lean against the bigs just as hard as they were leaning against her.

Yes you have an advantage at the other end with your quickness, but it then becomes a balance between your quicks being able to score more than their bigs. If Baylor had been better/more patient at getting the ball to their bigs (or less willing for their wings to hoist shots) the equation could have turned against Uconn. It will be interesting should we meet them in the NCAAs to see whether they have solved that, and if they have, how Uconn can counter that.

How did it work out Baylor? Especially the last 7 minutes? Pace and tempo and skill and superior talent will defeat slowness and size unless a team is completely overwhelmed by size. But we saw a 6'1 and 5'11 player defend the paint quite a bit. Yes they needed Butler. Couldn't have won without her. But ball movement and quick slashes is huge in the college game. And it's hard for 20 year olds to be patient. That's why you hear so often it a guards game. Anyhow, if size was so important why didn't Geno start Butler vs Baylor? Why did Butler only get 20 minutes? Why did Gabby only pick up 2 fouls?

Why didn't he pull Butler at some point early in the 4th qtr to save her so he could have her for example the last 4 minutes and let the smaller players struggle in order for Geno to use Butler down the stretch?. So what if one of them fouled out (Though Gabby with 2 fouls wasn't going to foul out. Collier could have fouled out the second she came back), but if size was so important and Baylor was narrowing the score while Butler was in (they actually tied it, so how effective was UCONN when Collier went out and Butler came in vs when Butler came out and Collier came in?) and Collier was out, why didn't it overwhelm our front line enough to win the game?

It was with 7:04 left in the game and the score was tied 54-54, UCONN DELIBERATELY pulled SIZE (Butler) and in came Collier. On the 1st defensive play after a Baylor miss UCONN ran a fastbreak. The Baylor Big trailed the play. UCONN got a layup. On the next play UCONN played a zone, Baylor couldn't get the ball inside, they missed, in which the smaller Collier boxed out their big, then UCONN got the ball up the court with some pace and Lou drove, the big helped and Lou missed but Collier's quickness got the offensive rebound and hit the lay up. What we see here is a clear indication- slow size loses out to pace of play. Because right after that Baylor went with two bigs. And it got worse for Baylor the lead got bigger and bigger.

My point is-- next year UCONN is going to have more size with Stevens. She averaged 9.6 rebounds in the ACC. If we go with a lineup of Stevens and NCollier, we get open looks and it is pretty easy to get them in foul trouble if they are forced to step around the ft line. I can't see either of the Baylor bigs able to defend the 3. Not with our guards for next year.

So I'd like to ask you the same two questions I asked bags:

If Napheesa Collier could handle Baylor's low post (i.e. "didn't need Butler") especially when it came crunch time the last 7 minutes of the game while she was playing alongside with 5'11 Gabby, why would anyone think Stevens couldn't handle under the same circumstances unless she had Butler?

Please explain how you can defend Stevens and Collier with the two 6'4 and taller bigs they (Baylor) threw at us this year?

And what you say "luckily for UCONN" at their bigs picked up fouls I disagree with. Bigs fighting for position can easily pick up cheap fouls. On the play I was telling you that Lou missed - we saw Lou get knocked to the floor. That could have been a foul on their big. Bigs, slow ones, don't get back well on defense. Or when Baylor tied the game at 54, their center could have been called for an offensive foul. Those kids on Baylor aren't Hakeem Olajuwon on defense. Bigs are susceptible getting fouls called on them vs quicker players whether it be when they are on defense their feet are naturally slower and on offense when they fight for position they often are victims of defensive flops/inadvertent elbows etc, or they get cheap over-the-back fouls. And when they get doubled, how often will they see a team's overall quickness like UCONN's for next year? The turnovers can lead to breakouts in which we're going to be one helluva 3pt shooting team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't with you. You have gone from Maya to Dennis Rodman to Olajuwon. Gabby & Napheesa did a brilliant job of defending the post in the Baylor game. Despite the brilliant effort the rebound margin was +10 for Baylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom