Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-11-26_13-3-35.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
OMG so excited! Congrats Charli! We are all so excited for you - I know it's a long way away, but I think you know that UCONN will not only push you to be the very best you can/want to be, but also will give you a sense of family and camaraderie that you won't find anywhere else. Thank you for choosing UCONN!

Reaction Score
Prospects Nation has her listed as a forward. Does UConn still need a post player?

What will the roster look like going into the 2018-2019 season?

We'll have the top high school point guard from 2016, the top scholastic player from 2015, the top wing from 2017, and the top forward from 2018.

So we start Crystal Dangerfield, Katie Lou Samuelson, Megan Walker, Charli Collier. And....?

The WCBB world must be cringing right now! A NC almost guaranteed next year, and then another?

Reaction Score
Prospects Nation has her listed as a forward. Does UConn still need a post player?

The WCBB world must be cringing right now! A NC almost guaranteed next year, and then another?

I would certainly consider her a post player although she has range out to 20 feet............Smith and Adams are the other two remaining available forwards but all the top teams including UConn are concentrating their efforts on '19 Sam Brunelle as their top forward target

Fanmomma

UCONN WBB ALL DAY
Reaction Score
"Coach Auriemma gave me goals before each game I played and then would check back with me to see if I met those goals. No other coach did that. He told me he could make me a better player. He is a special coach."

Special coach meets special player.

In addition to her immense talent, Collier will take a promise to Storrs, one she made to herself after the death of her dad, Elliott Don Collier, who passed away in April after a battle with cancer.

"I feel I owe it to him to be successful and be legendary in this life," Collier said this spring. "He has inspired me and impacted me so much."

LINK

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

What will the roster look like going into the 2018-2019 season?

We'll have the top high school point guard from 2016, the top scholastic player from 2015, the top wing from 2017, and the top forward from 2018.

So we start Crystal Dangerfield, Katie Lou Samuelson, Megan Walker, Charli Collier. And....?

Yep, we're cringing. If UCONN wins the title this year, we could easily be looking at 8-9 straight titles in Storrs.

I know that other program do not have the luxury to recruit in the same way that Connecticut does, but every season, Geno recruits 1-2 standout kids, and 1-2 players who know they'll be a role player or see limited minutes at UCONN. Ones who are not happy with this usually fizzle out, the program consistently has a couple of star upperclassmen and 1-2 star underclassmen waiting in the wings. From how he builds his rosters, it seems like Geno intentionally leaves gaps at positions where he wants a stud player to fit in. There was a perfect opening for KLS with the graduation of KML, a perfect opening for Dangerfield with Jefferson leaving, a perfect opening for Walker since UCONN needed guard/forwards her class, a perfect opening for Collier with the graduation of Butler and no true post players on the roster, etc. Obviously, top kids have confidence that they'll earn their playing time no matter where they go, but Geno almost seems to create the perfect vacancy for the top kids he recruits, and whether it is said or not, they know they'll be able to slide in nicely from day 1.

Back to Collier--she looks like a classic four who can fill the void in the post. A true 5 will not be needed with UCONN's roster since they'll have Napheesa Collier, Charli Collier and Azure Stevens who can man time inside. I imagine 2018 and 2019 will be similar to how UCONN thrived without a 'true center' in 2002, 2009, 2010, 2015 (besides Stokes in limited minutes), and 2016. Charli has a good strong build, good agility and footwork, and she is very very smooth around the basket. I think she'll have a role similar to the one Charles had at UCONN where she is going to be a primary post but has a good face up game and will be the shot blocker inside.

Collier is ranked #7, but I think she's more "college ready" than some of the prospects ahead of her. Obviously, she still has 2 years of high school/AAU ball to go, but I see her being a strong contributor from day 1 and will likely start for 3 years.

UCONN's roster in 2018-19 looks like:
F-Azure Stevens (RS-Sr)...AA honors at Duke
F-KLS (Sr)..2015#1 recruit
F-Collier (Sr)..2015 top 10 recruit
G/F-Walker (So)...2017 #1 recruit
G-Dangerfield (So)...2016 #3 recruit

F/C-Collier...2018 top 10 recruit
G-Bent (Jr)
F-Irwin (Jr)
G-Coombs (So)
G-Gordon (So)
G-Hunter (So)