Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Charli Collier to UCONN!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes you are correct, Batouly has one more year than had put down in my previous post. Here is the corrected version.
View attachment 17199

It still isn't "corrected." Stevens will be the center for some of the time when Camara or Butler aren't playing. Just because she shoots outside shots some of the time on offense doesn't make her a wing. There is no way Geno is going to allow her to just play on the perimeter. With her size Geno is also going to ensure she abuses smaller teams in the paint too.

Reaction Score
It still isn't "corrected." Stevens will be the center for some of the time when Camara or Butler aren't playing. Just because she shoots outside shots some of the time on offense doesn't make her a wing. There is no way Geno is going to allow her to just play on the perimeter. With her size Geno is also going to ensure she abuses smaller teams in the paint too.
I agree HH, Azura(Love the name) will be doing the same things as Stewie did on offense. She will be posting up, shooting going off the dribble, hi-lo with pheese, 3pt shots and 2 man with Crystal with pick roll or give and go. The read and react offense with her just having to keep moving. I thought she was under utilized at Duke but all her skills should shine at Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I still think that she is a wing--as do most others. At Duke, her bio listed her at guard/forward, as did the ACC when they put her on the all-conference team. Clearly she will also play down low as does Gabby and Pheese, who I also listed as a wing. My original post indicated that we will have a lot of size at wing, calling some of them bigs I think would a disservice to the their ball handling skills and other talents.

Reaction Score
I still think that she is a wing--as do most others. At Duke, her bio listed her at guard/forward, as did the ACC when they put her on the all-conference team. Clearly she will also play down low as does Gabby and Pheese, who I also listed as a wing. My original post indicated that we will have a lot of size at wing, calling some of them bigs I think would a disservice to the their ball handling skills and other talents.

Noo-- "most others" don't think of her as wing. So much so - the starting 5 next year will probably have her at center. For example I think most will have a starting 5 of Stevens, Collier, Lou, Nurse and Danger. Thus Stevens is the center.

What about Laetner having guard skills for Duke or Pete Carill's offense in which he had his centers play like guards-- but they WERE centers? Pete Carill's centers didn't have a "sell-out" low post. Or as we hear Geno speak that over the last 5-6 years he said that he used to dare teams to drive inside because of the shot blocking. You really think Geno is going to want a 6'6 player with Steven's athleticism guarding predominantly the perimeter rather than using her size, athleticism and shot blocking ability in the paint? Because when you call a player a wing- imo it can mean a player will guard out on the perimeter a lot. I don't see that at all as a preference and imo Geno won't do it other than spot minutes or just under blowout circumstances.

I think it is more of a disservice what you're doing calling her a wing. It sort of knocks her toughness. She is 6'6 and averaged 8.2 rebounds in her frosh year and 9.6 her sophomore year and you're going to believe at 6'6 those people that call her a guard are correct? And with all the problems we have with rebounding this year- a player that shows she can average 9.6 as a sophomore, you think Geno is going to keep a player with that size, toughness and athleticism more out on the perimeter? No way.

Tall players - even centers can have a good handle - it doesn't make them a guard.

Reaction Score
Noo-- "most others" don't think of her as wing. So much so - the starting 5 next year will probably have her at center. For example I think most will have a starting 5 of Stevens, Collier, Lou, Nurse and Danger. Thus Stevens is the center.

What about Laetner having guard skills for Duke or Pete Carill's offense in which he had his centers play like guards-- but they WERE centers? Pete Carill's centers didn't have a "sell-out" low post. Or as we hear Geno speak that over the last 5-6 years he said that he used to dare teams to drive inside because of the shot blocking. You really think Geno is going to want a 6'6 player with Steven's athleticism guarding predominantly the perimeter rather than using her size, athleticism and shot blocking ability in the paint? Because when you call a player a wing- imo it can mean a player will guard out on the perimeter a lot. I don't see that at all as a preference and imo Geno won't do it other than spot minutes or just under blowout circumstances.

I think it is more of a disservice what you're doing calling her a wing. It sort of knocks her toughness. She is 6'6 and averaged 8.2 rebounds in her frosh year and 9.6 her sophomore year and you're going to believe at 6'6 those people that call her a guard are correct? And with all the problems we have with rebounding this year- a player that shows she can average 9.6 as a sophomore, you think Geno is going to keep a player with that size, toughness and athleticism more out on the perimeter? No way.

Tall players - even centers can have a good handle - it doesn't make them a guard.

I see that you are very emotional about this. Sorry to have struck a nerve. But, the UConn media material lists Azura as a Guard/Forward. So they seem to think she can play some guard--even though she is a tall player. I put these "Guard/Forward" players in a category I called wing as it seemed to capture the spirit of that type of player and had fewer letters. I also had a category called bigs, where I put players that were either centers or forwards that can't handle guard duties. I never said that Geno would not use her down low. Indeed, I have Gabby as a wing and she is very effective down low.

You seem fixated on calling someone on the floor a center. On this year's team our starting five does not have a center. In all likelihood next year's starting five still not have one--at least according to UConn's own media guide.

Reaction Score
I see that you are very emotional about this. Sorry to have struck a nerve. But, the UConn media material lists Azura as a Guard/Forward. So they seem to think she can play some guard--even though she is a tall player. I put these "Guard/Forward" players in a category I called wing as it seemed to capture the spirit of that type of player and had fewer letters. I also had a category called bigs, where I put players that were either centers or forwards that can't handle guard duties. I never said that Geno would not use her down low. Indeed, I have Gabby as a wing and she is very effective down low.

You seem fixated on calling someone on the floor a center. On this year's team our starting five does not have a center. In all likelihood next year's starting five still not have one--at least according to UConn's own media guide.

You didn't strike a nerve - it's just that I disagree with your opinion and how you showed this - especially if you are only going to identify a player in any manner because someone else told you (i.e. if the media guide says so then it must be true). Remember you were the one that implied (indirectly) that I was doing a disservice to Stevens by not calling her a wing. Just because imo I disagree with the classification - doesn't mean I'm upset/that I had nerve struck. I did disagree with your comment when you said "most" would call her a wing. I think most would predict she would start at center and not agree with the media guide.

As far as "bigs" - I didn't see where you listed Stevens. At 6'6 and a player that averaged 9.6 rebounds as a sophomore with shot blocking potential. I just happen to believe she is more of a "big."

And if Geno will use her down low, and my guess is you would agree we could use her size for shot-blocking and rebounding, then why wouldn't you consider her more as a "big?" Most of her defense is going to be inside, won't it? And she is just not going to be an offensive perimeter player, is she? SO she is going to be doing inside scoring and a lot of inside defense. IMO that is a big.

It's okay I'll refrain from this further though I don't agree with your "classification" of Stevens as a wing rather than a big. I guess you were more focused on what we have looking forward and to identify positions you prefer to have Stevens there and like the idea Stevens can play offense from the outside? It's your chart and its appreciative to many they can see how things look going forward- . You took the time to do it and share it- you can do what you want. I yield to you. :)

Reaction Score
Yes you are correct, Batouly has one more year than had put down in my previous post. Here is the corrected version.
View attachment 17199

My position breakdown of next years team is as follows

Collier
Williams
Irwin
Butler
Camara

Wings
Samuelson
Walker
Gordon
Espinoza-Hunter

Guards
Nurse
Dangerfield
Bent
Coombs

Reaction Score
Maybe Christyn Williams?
Wouldn't read that much into this (unfortunately!). His predicting that UConn won't be losing for TWO years after this year suggests he's hoping AZ stays both years. Because otherwise, if he was thinking that he had Crystal for 3 more years, Megan & Company for 4 years, and then Charli PLUS Christyn Williams, he'd likely have phrased it differently: something like: they better catch us this year, because we are going to be virtually unbeatable for the next several years. Hoping you're right, however, not because I want to see UConn loaded and unbeatable, but because I truly believe that these great players will improve significantly more coached by Geno than by anyone else.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
You didn't strike a nerve - it's just that I disagree with your opinion and how you showed this - especially if you are only going to identify a player in any manner because someone else told you (i.e. if the media guide says so then it must be true). Remember you were the one that implied (indirectly) that I was doing a disservice to Stevens by not calling her a wing. Just because imo I disagree with the classification - doesn't mean I'm upset/that I had nerve struck. I did disagree with your comment when you said "most" would call her a wing. I think most would predict she would start at center and not agree with the media guide.

As far as "bigs" - I didn't see where you listed Stevens. At 6'6 and a player that averaged 9.6 rebounds as a sophomore with shot blocking potential. I just happen to believe she is more of a "big."

And if Geno will use her down low, and my guess is you would agree we could use her size for shot-blocking and rebounding, then why wouldn't you consider her more as a "big?" Most of her defense is going to be inside, won't it? And she is just not going to be an offensive perimeter player, is she? SO she is going to be doing inside scoring and a lot of inside defense. IMO that is a big.

It's okay I'll refrain from this further though I don't agree with your "classification" of Stevens as a wing rather than a big. I guess you were more focused on what we have looking forward and to identify positions you prefer to have Stevens there and like the idea Stevens can play offense from the outside? It's your chart and its appreciative to many they can see how things look going forward- . You took the time to do it and share it- you can do what you want. I yield to you. :)

Right on the money HH... Geno will see to it that she develops both and inside game and an outside game. It is why she transferred IMHO.

Take that to the bank.

Reaction Score

Thinking AZ will play more of a 4 on offense, and more of a 5 on defense, if those distinctions mean much in a motion offense. But it's complicated with 6 guaranteed starters for 5 positions: Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, Crystal, Lou and AZ (not to mention Megan, whom they can tuck away for a bit, but still...). Ideally, on a team with so much offensive fire power already, you'd like Batouly to play the 5, and she'll get her minutes, but with so much talent, it will be in constant flux.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thinking AZ will play more of a 4 on offense, and more of a 5 on defense, if those distinctions mean much in a motion offense. But it's complicated with 6 guaranteed starters for 5 positions: Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, Crystal, Lou and AZ (not to mention Megan, whom they can tuck away for a bit, but still...). Ideally, on a team with so much offensive fire power already, you'd like Batouly to play the 5, and she'll get her minutes, but with so much talent, it will be in constant flux.
Not concerned about the offensive side of the ball for Azura but mildly concerned about what position she plays on defense. I agree with @CoachBill bill's prior post which said that Azura will be utilized very much the same way as Stewie was-essentially all over the place. The mild concern is based on her slight build, injury history ( foot?) & lack of time in the defensive post at Duke. Duke had Elizabeth Williams and I believe 3-4 other true post players on the rosters so Azura was often deployed at the top of the Duke's zone defense. Azura will start IMO but I firmly believe you will need a Batouly or Natalie starting alongside her for post Defense. Geno will have interesting & tough choices but I could see:
1 Post (Butler, Camara, Stevens, Irwin)
2 Forwards (KLS, Williams, Walker, Collier, Gordon)
2 Guards (Nurse, Dangerfield, Bent, Coombs, Espinosa-Hunter)

Let that sink in for a seconds! Quite possible that three of these players (KLS, Williams, Walker, Collier, Gordon) are going to be on your second (non-starting unit)!
Along with 3 players from here (Nurse, Dangerfield, Bent, Coombs, Espinosa-Hunter)!
Along with 3 from this bunch (Butler, Camara, Stevens, Irwin)!

Could be Epic!

Reaction Score
Epic indeed. Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, Crystal, Lou and AZ could all end up All-Americans!
Of course, I agree that ideally you have a true post playing behind AZ. But there will be a temptation to take the 5 (or 6 or 7!) best players and just let them run with it. There is so much depth and so much flexibility, esp. at the 3, 4, and 5, that Geno may need to defy "best practices" just to give everyone playing time and to develop new talent, IMHO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let's see now, how long before the first post about how no quality players will want to come to UConn over the next X years?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn Nation's reaction upon hearing the news that Charli is joining the UConn family.............................

Reaction Score
Not concerned about the offensive side of the ball for Azura but mildly concerned about what position she plays on defense. I agree with @CoachBill bill's prior post which said that Azura will be utilized very much the same way as Stewie was-essentially all over the place. The mild concern is based on her slight build, injury history ( foot?) & lack of time in the defensive post at Duke. Duke had Elizabeth Williams and I believe 3-4 other true post players on the rosters so Azura was often deployed at the top of the Duke's zone defense. Azura will start IMO but I firmly believe you will need a Batouly or Natalie starting alongside her for post Defense. Geno will have interesting & tough choices but I could see:
1 Post (Butler, Camara, Stevens, Irwin)
2 Forwards (KLS, Williams, Walker, Collier, Gordon)
2 Guards (Nurse, Dangerfield, Bent, Coombs, Espinosa-Hunter)

Let that sink in for a seconds! Quite possible that three of these players (KLS, Williams, Walker, Collier, Gordon) are going to be on your second (non-starting unit)!
Along with 3 players from here (Nurse, Dangerfield, Bent, Coombs, Espinosa-Hunter)!
Along with 3 from this bunch (Butler, Camara, Stevens, Irwin)!

Could be Epic!

Natalie couldn't win the starting job this year nor is she getting big minute on a team in which we badly need height and size, thus why next year when we have more of it will she have to play alongside Stevens? Next year two new players are going to be better. One is Stevens (the other more than likely Camara). In Stevens soph year, when EWill was gone, she led her team in rebounding at 9.6. So she had to be guarding inside if she was also leading the team in blocks with over 2 per game. As you say she'll be used like Stewie,- inside-- and I can't imagine if Collier so far is doing an admiral job why Stevens couldn't do at least admiral next year with more height and size from a player that averaged 9.6 rebounds? A Stevens/Collier front line would be awesome. A front line of Collier/Gabby is already the preferred vs Nataile as Geno is showing us. Thus I don't agree that we need NB starting alongside Stevens next year.

Next year, NB's minutes are going to get cut unless she is really terrific this year. And as Geno mentioned recently regarding this year's team issue with size- he added a comment to paraphrase- "They have to stop us too."

For me I think the major wildcard is Camara. She could be better than Collier and Gabby. Maybe. But I don't know much about her. I just got to say when Charli Collier comes-- wow is she going to be going against some serious talent!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Natalie couldn't win the starting job this year nor is she getting big minute on a team in which we badly need height and size, thus why next year when we have more of it will she have to play alongside Stevens? Next year two new players are going to be better. One is Stevens (the other more than likely Camara). In Stevens soph year, when EWill was gone, she led her team in rebounding at 9.6. So she had to be guarding inside if she was also leading the team in blocks with over 2 per game. As you say she'll be used like Stewie,- inside-- and I can't imagine if Collier so far is doing an admiral job why Stevens couldn't do at least admiral next year with more height and size from a player that averaged 9.6 rebounds? A Stevens/Collier front line would be awesome. A front line of Collier/Gabby is already the preferred vs Nataile as Geno is showing us. Thus I don't agree that we need NB starting alongside Stevens next year.

Next year, NB's minutes are going to get cut unless she is really terrific this year. And as Geno mentioned recently regarding this year's team issue with size- he added a comment to paraphrase- "They have to stop us too."

For me I think the major wildcard is Camara. She could be better than Collier and Gabby. Maybe. But I don't know much about her. I just got to say when Charli Collier comes-- wow is she going to be going against some serious talent!!!

"Azura will start IMO but I firmly believe you will need a Batouly or Natalie starting alongside her for post Defense." Those 9.6 rebounds and two blocks playing without EWill was when she got hurt. Azura is just not built to play down there! Collier is not built to play down there long term. Natalie is. Batouly is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I fully agree on the assesment of Azura vs Butler for next season. Azura will play the 4/5 next year. Butler, who has improved from last year, still lacks the footwork and hands to play major minutes.

Finally, I don't think Camara is a wildcard. During the 2nd half of Kentucky's season, she was a rebounding force who could also score. One of her best games was against the Gamecocks where she battled Wilson & Coates as well as anyone. IMO, I think Camara will battle Collier next year for the starting forward spot. They have similar games with Collier being the more fluid player and Camara being the more physical.

Reaction Score
"Azura will start IMO but I firmly believe you will need a Batouly or Natalie starting alongside her for post Defense." Those 9.6 rebounds and two blocks playing without EWill was when she got hurt. Azura is just not built to play down there! Collier is not built to play down there long term. Natalie is. Batouly is.

I don't agree. "Not built" isn't very relevant as we see this year Natalie vs Collier. Why isn't Natalie getting more minutes this year even though "she is built better to guard posts?" Why has Collier beaten her out if "being built" is so important? You play your best and see how they perform as long as they don't get overwhelmed. And I don't believe her injury has anything to do with "banging in the post" anymore than Lou's injury last year was because she was playing sf or because she went for an offensive rebound in which Lou broke her foot it shouldn't mean she shouldn't aggressively keep trying to get offensive rebounds or defensive ones too. Anybody can break a foot just in how they step etc. Anyone can mess up a knee too.

You play your best - you don't overreact to other teams when you have superior talent. As CD has said for years "We want them to react to what we're doing."
As Geno said - "They have to guard us too." A player like Stevens will be a brutally hard to guard for a center. Similar to Maya Moore who was only 6'1 and often was guarding inside but how was the slower more physical player going to guard her? Should they try to play slowdown bball while we look to run the ball down their throat? The number 1 recruits will always want to come to the team that runs the ball too - and usually that running offense is tougher to stop than half-court low post Hubie Brown basketball.

"Banging" is "overrated" vs "talent." We've seen it with Maya Moore. We've seen it this year with our small team. We used to hear how some would say to put Stewie as a sf because of the fear she will get banged around so much and wear down which was a compelte myth/being "scared." of the big bad wolf in the post. IMO there is fear of low post play like there is fear of a child and the boogeyman. It's overdone. This year I think it will probably get us - but we're not just small we're extremely small. Anyhow imo we will see it again with Stevens though she is 6'6. Bigs can't defend her especially with the backcourt we're going to have that can set easily her up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I fully agree on the assesment of Azura vs Butler for next season. Azura will play the 4/5 next year. Butler, who has improved from last year, still lacks the footwork and hands to play major minutes.

Finally, I don't think Camara is a wildcard. During the 2nd half of Kentucky's season, she was a rebounding force who could also score. One of her best games was against the Gamecocks where she battled Wilson & Coates as well as anyone. IMO, I think Camara will battle Collier next year for the starting forward spot. They have similar games with Collier being the more fluid player and Camara being the more physical.

I read some of the highlights of what she did - I just don't know because I never saw her. And I've heard how well she did vs them - but were the games close / why didn't she do more vs other teams etc? Was USC playing a defense that allowed her to roam free a bit or on defense were Camara's rebounds tough in traffic etc?

But I hear what you're saying and for the most part I can see what you are saying and what Coco is saying. If Camara is a beast on the glass and her build is stocky she can be the player that guards the big physical post and allow Stevens to be "roving 4" just like Stewie.

Reaction Score

Stewie had no problem doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits