Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Frankly, if Diaco has something to say he should say it when he can. As a fan I don't want him to "paint a picture" for me. Not sure why he needs to go there before he's ready to make announcements. This guy is really starting to spook me. I hope my instincts are wrong....
Agree. Blathering on about what he is doing and will do makes him sound frantic. The anti-Belichek:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Amazing what a bunch of negative nancies there are on this board.

Rightly so, IMO. Nobody was more a positive Diaco guy than me. Even after the USF and Tulane debacles. Then I attended the Army debacle and realized that this guy is a fraud. And he ended up the season even worse. We need this guy to be good, but I don't buy a word that comes out of his mouth anymore. I'd love nothing better to have these words thrown back in my face and eat crow. But it ain't gonna happen. He's not the goods.

Reaction Score
Rightly so, IMO. Nobody was more a positive Diaco guy than me. Even after the USF and Tulane debacles. Then I attended the Army debacle and realized that this guy is a fraud. And he ended up the season even worse. We need this guy to be good, but I don't buy a word that comes out of his mouth anymore. I'd love nothing better to have these words thrown back in my face and eat crow. But it ain't gonna happen. He's not the goods.
While I won't call him a fraud, I too am off the rah-rah, energy bucket this, energy vampire that bandwagon. His first year he exhausted all good feelings I had about the hire. I am just not a fan of deflecting blame after losses. Its a small thing, but to me its a big thing. Results are the only thing that will matter going forward. Could care less about winning in the cafeteria or weigth room or when in the shower, or pastel colors on the walls or any of that.

Reaction Score
That is the only thing that makes sense here. The other proposal is that Diaco extends the OC/OL/TE duties to Cummings, which I feel is asking for too much, so I don't see this happening.

Cummings was OC and OL coach at Central Michigan, but I'm confused if Cummings ever called plays for CMU from 2010 to 2013. One article I found seems to say he did not:

"Cummings has coached the offensive line and been the offensive coordinator for the last four years under Chippewas head coach Dan Enos, although Enos called the plays." http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ssf/2013/12/central_michigan_offensive_coo.html

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It happens all the time this wouldn't be nothing new, its business, nothing personal.

I searched as well and could not find an example of this -
Can you give example so I can see the coordinator who gave up salary for the betterment of the team?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am just not a fan of deflecting blame after losses. Its a small thing, but to me its a big thing.

I totally agree, it is a big thing. That's why I said fraud. He had me thinking at the beginning he wasn't like that.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
How can we even be sure he was such a great OL coach? Does this make the WR coach a great coach when Marcus Easley went from a Walk on to NFL draft pick? How about the individual that identified him as a worthy walk on,or all those thats deemed him not worthy of a scholarship.

Foley had two 2,000 rushers behind his Olines, one at the FCS level, one at the FBS level, and another guy that had 2k all purpose yards. He had countless 1000k+ backs. He produced two Walter Payton award winners.... countless all conference OL men... jeez he can coach OLs. It's not like he had one or two great years... He had decades of excellent OLs at both levels he coached at.

Reaction Score
You're clowning me. That's what you're doing. You're clowning me. I'm not going to answer you with words. I'm going to answer you with the following:

Will Beatty - NY Giants (current)
Donald Thomas - Colts (current)
Mike Ryan - Bengals
Dan Ryan - Dolphins mini-camp
Mike Hicks - Lions mini-camp
Steve Greene - Redskins camp

Those are the ones that I know off of the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing info. Maybe even somebody like a Petrus or a Jimmy Bennett playing pro-ball. I don't know. You do the research. I'll let the above names speak for themselves. F#$king "role playing backs" indeed...

here's the thing fellas: How many lineman have been producing at that kind of level to get a look at an NFL camp since Steve Greene's recruiting class? (FYI- Greene was a 2007-2008 NLI recruiting cycle player. Redshirted in Fall 2009.)

Reaction Score
The reality and truth is that OL recruiting fell off hugely as of 2008, and we're still paying for it, because Paqualoni was allowed to hire George Deleone to head up that position group.

Foley has done a great job as a coach for UCONN with players that are on the roster. You cannot deny that the recruiting for that OL position group has gone through the floor in the past 6 years.

Secondly - the TE position group. Who was on the roster behind John Delahunt and Ryan Griffin in 2011? When were those two players recruiting in an NLI cycle?

The reality is that under Edsall's watch, from 2008-2010, our entire offensive side of the ball recruiting was sucking wind bad, and he left the program, with a pitiful recruiting class assembled as of Jan. 1, 2011, when we needed to be loaded with our largest and best projected class in several years as of signing day Feb. 2011.

That is what we're very close to recovering from, finally. Deleone got in the way of making it happen faster, not Pasqualoni. But those two are life long butt buddies it appears, and we didn't have an AD football smart enough to keep them from pairing up.

This is why Diaco continues to have my support, unwaivering. Not because of the game time crap and 2014 season. That was a disaster. This guy needs time to recruit, to fix this program back to adequate competitive levels - specifically on the offensive side of the ball, and we're on our way. Recruiting, is the only aspect so far, where the guy's words match the actions.

We will see if the speed, size and character is there, but based on guys like Ron Johnson and others, I think we are good with recruiting.

I don't care to listen to anything the guy says about actual game day though. I'll wait to see again with my own eyes.

Reaction Score
The reality and truth is that OL recruiting fell off hugely as of 2008, and we're still paying for it, because Paqualoni was allowed to hire George Deleone to head up that position group.

Foley has done a great job as a coach for UCONN with players that are on the roster. You cannot deny that the recruiting for that OL position group has gone through the floor in the past 6 years.

Secondly - the TE position group. Who was on the roster behind John Delahunt and Ryan Griffin in 2011? When were those two players recruiting in an NLI cycle?

The reality is that under Edsall's watch, from 2008-2010, our entire offensive side of the ball recruiting was sucking wind bad, and he left the program, with a pitiful recruiting class assembled as of Jan. 1, 2011, when we needed to be loaded with our largest and best projected class in several years as of signing day Feb. 2011.

That is what we're very close to recovering from, finally. Deleone got in the way of making it happen faster, not Pasqualoni. But those two are life long butt buddies it appears, and we didn't have an AD football smart enough to keep them from pairing up.

This is why Diaco continues to have my support, unwaivering. Not because of the game time crap and 2014 season. That was a disaster. This guy needs time to recruit, to fix this program back to adequate competitive levels - specifically on the offensive side of the ball, and we're on our way. Recruiting, is the only aspect so far, where the guy's words match the actions.

We will see if the speed, size and character is there, but based on guys like Ron Johnson and others, I think we are good with recruiting.

I don't care to listen to anything the guy says about actual game day though. I'll wait to see again with my own eyes.

Totally agree Carl. Please, no more press interviews. Just show us.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Here is why I struggle with message boards...everything is black or white. Diaco is either a hero or a fraud. No grey area (or is it "gray"?). I think Diaco stumbled last year. I think he is still learning how to lead. I think the attrition that happened during the year made the team hard to coach and motivate. I think Diaco struggled with how to communicate what was happening with the team. I think he has never been in a situation where something he was responsible for failed so badly. He is accustomed to being successful.

He has never been a head coach. He is young. We allow freshman QBs to make mistakes. As long as they learn and get better, all is good.

I am willing to allow Diaco to grow and improve as a leader. I remain hopeful.

Reaction Score
Here is why I struggle with message boards...everything is black or white. Diaco is either a hero or a fraud. No grey area (or is it "gray"?). I think Diaco stumbled last year. I think he is still learning how to lead. I think the attrition that happened during the year made the team hard to coach and motivate. I think Diaco struggled with how to communicate what was happening with the team. I think he has never been in a situation where something he was responsible for failed so badly. He is accustomed to being successful.

He has never been a head coach. He is young. We allow freshman QBs to make mistakes. As long as they learn and get better, all is good.

I am willing to allow Diaco to grow and improve as a leader. I remain hopeful.

Enough time has passed from the Cincinnati game for me to also feel hopeful again. For whatever reason, I believe the team started falling apart after the Army game. That game was when the chance of post season was finally lost, and it was lost in heartbreaking fashion for sure. It's only human nature, and the best, hugely experienced, veteran head coaches would have a tough time keeping a team together given the whole big picture in the closing weeks of 2014, coming from where the program was, to where it's been undoubtedly projected to be going. I didn't go to the SMU game, I was just too disgusted with the results of the past few seasons. Since closing out the 2010 season with a string of home wins, starting with the OT win against WVU;

4-3 at home in 2011 - which seems so far long gone but wins at home against Fordham, USF (Skip Holtz first game at Rentschler), Syracuse (the P connection - great game that was), and then the destruction of Rutgers at home, when they were poised to go to the BCS. Great home wins - and enough to cover up the mess that was happening. Losses at home early to Western Michigan and Iowa State, and then a loss late to Louisville at home.

3-3 at home in 2012 - wins against UMass, Buffalo, and Pitt. Squeaker win against Buffalo. Terrible losses to NC State, Temple, and for me a completely forgotten home closing loss to Cincinnati.

2-5 at home in 2013 - win against Rutgers. (I wish we still had that game on the schedule for a gimmee win every season) and then the closer against Memphis. Towson, Maryland, Michigan, USF, Louisville - all losses.

2-5 at home in 2014.

11-16 at home in the past 4 seasons. (consecutive 2-5 last two years)

Fix that. That's what I want fixed, above all else in 2015. I want a winning home record again, decisively. We start with villanova and army at home. we shall see where we are as a program in September.

Until then, I could care less about what Booby says in the media. He'll have to make statements, because he's required to, but I don't care what he says.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was thrilled to see HCBD retain Foley a year ago and i truly hope big Mike lands on his feet and continues to train young men. I have no idea what changed in the last year, but if you are the head of a team and you feel a change must be made, make it. This board gets so upset when change is not made right up until the time the change is made. We have no idea why this change was made - philosophy, results, personalities, other? I must be the only one who has not seen decent OL play or an OL grow/develop in the past 5 years? We were great up front 5 years ago, no one can argue that, but who has played on the OL in the last 5 years that has come close to the Beattys, Hurds, and Thomas'?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Enough time has passed from the Cincinnati game for me to also feel hopeful again. For whatever reason, I believe the team started falling apart after the Army game. That game was when the chance of post season was finally lost, and it was lost in heartbreaking fashion for sure. It's only human nature, and the best, hugely experienced, veteran head coaches would have a tough time keeping a team together given the whole big picture in the closing weeks of 2014, coming from where the program was, to where it's been undoubtedly projected to be going. I didn't go to the SMU game, I was just too disgusted with the results of the past few seasons. Since closing out the 2010 season with a string of home wins, starting with the OT win against WVU;

4-3 at home in 2011 - which seems so far long gone but wins at home against Fordham, USF (Skip Holtz first game at Rentschler), Syracuse (the P connection - great game that was), and then the destruction of Rutgers at home, when they were poised to go to the BCS. Great home wins - and enough to cover up the mess that was happening. Losses at home early to Western Michigan and Iowa State, and then a loss late to Louisville at home.

3-3 at home in 2012 - wins against UMass, Buffalo, and Pitt. Squeaker win against Buffalo. Terrible losses to NC State, Temple, and for me a completely forgotten home closing loss to Cincinnati.

2-5 at home in 2013 - win against Rutgers. (I wish we still had that game on the schedule for a gimmee win every season) and then the closer against Memphis. Towson, Maryland, Michigan, USF, Louisville - all losses.

2-5 at home in 2014.

11-16 at home in the past 4 seasons.

Fix that. That's what I want fixed, above all else in 2015. I want a winning home record again, decisively. We start with villanova and army at home. we shall see where we are as a program in September.

Until then, I could care less about what Booby says in the media. He'll have to make statements, because he's required to, but I don't care what he says.

Agree 100%. Start a new slogan: "You Have To Pay The Rent". Hand out shirts to the players and staff with this motto on it. Hold a few practices during the season there. Throw up more pictures of our home stadium all over the Burton and campus to remind everyone that that is our house and we must ALL fight to protect it.

We absolutely have to start the 2015 season 2-0. Nova and Army are MUST wins not only for the season, but for the sake of the program. We can't afford another 2 or 3 win campaign.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If Diaco really thought Foley was the problem after the debacle of last year, then I think it is time to revisit the entire staff, including Head Coach.
You're entitled to your opinion, but don't pretend that this was the straw that broke the camels back. Your mind was made up months ago.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Start a new slogan: "You Have To Pay The Rent". Hand out shirts to the players and staff with this motto on it. Hold a few practices during the season there. Throw up more pictures of our home stadium all over the Burton and campus to remind everyone that that is our house and we must ALL fight to protect it.

We absolutely have to start the 2015 season 2-0. Nova and Army are MUST wins not only for the season, but for the sake of the program. We can't afford another 2 or 3 win campaign.

Every game is a MUST win. The world will not end if we do not go 2-0 against Villanova and Army. I am hopeful, that when we take the field against those two programs, that we will win, because it will show measurable progress and give us TRACTION. If not, it's just another sign on the long road back to the top.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I have no idea what changed in the last year, but if you are the head of a team and you feel a change must be made, make it. This board gets so upset when change is not made right up until the time the change is made. We have no idea why this change was made - philosophy, results, personalities, other?
I think all 3. Remember the piece that Jacobs did with Weist midway through the season? UConn fans were hoping TJ might stay on as OC. He said in addition to wanting to be a head coach, he didn't know Diaco or the other staff. Having an established work relationship makes the philosophy, communication, and personal fit parts of the equation work better. As others have postulated, maybe Foley was kept on for a little bit of continuity, knowing that the cost would be less of a fit.

Reaction Score

Ability to recruit ANY lineman and have them stick really fell off in Edsall's last years. QB as well. Then P recruited kids that did not stay either. That is why we have only 65 scholly players. It was just bad and Randy just got the ball rolling.

We took 17 lineman in 5 years and Mueller was only (LS) Ghio, Hemingway Bryan Kureczea long gone. Nwokeji ever play?So that's 12 guys in 5 years. A total disgrace.

2008 was Kureczea, Masters and Bennett
2009 was Steve Greene
2010 was Hansson McKee Paull Mueller (LS)
2011 was Hemingway, Gifford, Nwokeji
2012 was Ghio Levy, Rennick Bryan, Rugg Samara

Reaction Score
I think all 3. Remember the piece that Jacobs did with Weist midway through the season? UConn fans were hoping TJ might stay on as OC. He said in addition to wanting to be a head coach, he didn't know Diaco or the other staff. Having an established work relationship makes the philosophy, communication, and personal fit parts of the equation work better. As others have postulated, maybe Foley was kept on for a little bit of continuity, knowing that the cost would be less of a fit.
Yes and we saw where the relationship with the previous head coach and his goomba buddy sent this program. Mentor is one thing hanging on to a fossil friend is another.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Diaco expects a "higher level of everything": http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/01/uconns-diaco-we-expect-much-higher.html

In this article, you can see how many snaps our younger players took last year.

Jamar Summers (638 snaps), Vontae Diggs (280), Cam Stapleton (200), Cole Ormsby (400), Junior Joseph (516), Foley Fatukasi (195), Alec Bloom (180), Ryan Crozier (250), Ron Johnson (almost 300), Matt Walsh (270), Arkeel Newsome (185), Tommy Myers (302)

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Diaco expects a "higher level of everything": http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/01/uconns-diaco-we-expect-much-higher.html

In this article, you can see how many snaps our younger players took last year.

Jamar Summers (638 snaps), Vontae Diggs (280), Cam Stapleton (200), Cole Ormsby (400), Junior Joseph (516), Foley Fatukasi (195), Alec Bloom (180), Ryan Crozier (250), Ron Johnson (almost 300), Matt Walsh (270), Arkeel Newsome (185), Tommy Myers (302)

You just can't win with young players taking that many snaps. I watched "The U" part 2 on netflix last night.

One of the most talented Miami teams (if non THE most talented teams) were under .500 when they were fosh/soph. By the time they were seniors, they went undefeated, won a NC and had the most first round picks ever.

If that team couldn't do it, I'm not surprised we couldn't.

Next year will be tough as well, but in years 3/4, I expect to compete and win championships.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I wonder if HCBD brings in a person that is co-offensive coordinator and tight end coach and let Cummings stay at co-offensive coordinator and be the offensive line coach. That makes the most sense to me going forward

Reaction Score
I wonder if HCBD brings in a person that is co-offensive coordinator and tight end coach and let Cummings stay at co-offensive coordinator and be the offensive line coach. That makes the most sense to me going forward

How many teams have that type of setup? Or more specifically how many of the top 25 teams have co-offensive coordinators that are also position coaches?

Edit - Never Mind I just found a pretty good team.: http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...tball-looks-spark-offense-new-co-coordinators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom