Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You just can't win with young players taking that many snaps. I watched "The U" part 2 on netflix last night.

One of the most talented Miami teams (if non THE most talented teams) were under .500 when they were fosh/soph. By the time they were seniors, they went undefeated, won a NC and had the most first round picks ever.

If that team couldn't do it, I'm not surprised we couldn't.

Next year will be tough as well, but in years 3/4, I expect to compete and win championships.

SD, the problem with your logic is that it requires fans to be reasonable in terms of expectations.

Reaction Score
Besides the media leaks about Foley leaving which 99.9% sure are correct, has there been anything official yet?

Reaction Score
Real excited to see what we get from Jamar next year... Lived on his floor last year during spring semester and he is a awesome dude, always a has a smile on his face and is an extremely hard worker.

Reaction Score
Carl Spackler said:
here's the thing fellas: How many lineman have been producing at that kind of level to get a look at an NFL camp since Steve Greene's recruiting class? (FYI- Greene was a 2007-2008 NLI recruiting cycle player. Redshirted in Fall 2009.)

Exactly.

Foley + Edsall = winning combination.

Foley since then? Mixed results.

Maybe Diaco wants to run things that Foley can't teach. I don't know. But Foley had the OL this year. And we didn't get 50% better than last year. So he isn't automatically going to make some other team 50% better.

I thank him for the great years. But I'm not convinced it is horrible that he is leaving. Lots of other programs are a lot better than we are without him.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

Foley + Edsall = winning combination.

Foley since then? Mixed results.

Maybe Diaco wants to run things that Foley can't teach. I don't know. But Foley had the OL this year. And we didn't get 50% better than last year. So he isn't automatically going to make some other team 50% better.

I thank him for the great years. But I'm not convinced it is horrible that he is leaving. Lots of other programs are a lot better than we are without him.
this ain't fair. Deleone had his hands in the mix from the moment he arrived. I think Foley did great here, but Diaco wants to do it his way, with guys he is 100 percent comfortable with. I have no problem with that. Results will tell the story.

Reaction Score
this ain't fair. Deleone had his hands in the mix from the moment he arrived. I think Foley did great here, but Diaco wants to do it his way, with guys he is 100 percent comfortable with. I have no problem with that. Results will tell the story.

I didn't say Foley didn't do great. He was great under Edsall. Afterwards? He wasn't. If he bears any blame or not I have no idea.

I do know he was the OL coach for the last season and a half. And we aren't good. Better, but still bad. His fault? Cummings fault? Diaco's fault? Recruiting issues? I don't know.

I can appreciate what he did for us and also not be sad that we are moving on.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I didn't say Foley didn't do great. He was great under Edsall. Afterwards? He wasn't. If he bears any blame or not I have no idea.

I do know he was the OL coach for the last season and a half. And we aren't good. Better, but still bad. His fault? Cummings fault? Diaco's fault? Recruiting issues? I don't know.

I can appreciate what he did for us and also not be sad that we are moving on.

When he still had control of the OL under PPGDL, McCombs ran for over 1,200 yards and Big East honors. After they took him off of that so that DeLeone could flex some wallpaper, there was a significant drop off in running game. So it wasn't simply your mathematical formula of Edsall + Foley. That's a construct in your mind. I guess we are also going to throw out the fact that this young OLine improved drastically over the course of the year, even in the pass protection, where they stopped giving up sacks. I also guess that we are going to dismiss Ryan Griffin's father, who has already posted on this board about what Foley meant and what he was.

I hope UConn is fine after he departs, because I love UConn first and foremost. But let's not pretend that we have no data over the last 9 years to support that the man knew his craft...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I doubt that there is a bigger fan of coach Foley than me on this board. This is due in large part to my preferences to physical, fundamentally sound football (what many, primarily Touchdown Husky, would call old fashioned). If the reality ends up being that this rumor is in fact nothing more than a false rumor, I will be thrilled. That said, I believe that it is very possible for us to have competent offensive line play in the future if someone else ends up coaching our linemen.

I will wish coach Foley the best regardless of where he ends up coaching (if he is gone, Fordham would not surprise me in the least as a destination) and I will continue hope for the best for UConn with their new line coach.

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
When he still had control of the OL under PPGDL, McCombs ran for over 1,200 yards and Big East honors. After they took him off of that so that DeLeone could flex some wallpaper, there was a significant drop off in running game. So it wasn't simply your mathematical formula of Edsall + Foley. That's a construct in your mind. I guess we are also going to throw out the fact that this young OLine improved drastically over the course of the year, even in the pass protection, where they stopped giving up sacks. I also guess that we are going to dismiss Ryan Griffin's father, who has already posted on this board about what Foley meant and what he was. I hope UConn is fine after he departs, because I love UConn first and foremost. But let's not pretend that we have no data over the last 9 years to support that the man knew his craft...

When did I say he wasn't good? Never. But that doesn't mean he should get a 40 year contract.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
When did I say he wasn't good? Never. But that doesn't mean he should get a 40 year contract.

When did I say that you said that?

What I'm saying to you is that your formula of Foley - Edsall = mixed results, insinuating in some way that he may not be good. As if you weren't sure. As if you didn't have enough data to support the conclusion. So I helped you out...

Reaction Score
Lets just hope Cummings and Diaco are not like the GDL and PP relationship where PP would rather burn down everything than get rid of his boy friend. Of all things, that refusal to do what was right for the team by the HC most bothered me. I feel like Diaco's move is a bit of a circle the wagons and purge the outsider, instead of dealing with the OC problem.

Reaction Score
Diaco expects a "higher level of everything": http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2015/01/uconns-diaco-we-expect-much-higher.html

In this article, you can see how many snaps our younger players took last year.

Jamar Summers (638 snaps), Vontae Diggs (280), Cam Stapleton (200), Cole Ormsby (400), Junior Joseph (516), Foley Fatukasi (195), Alec Bloom (180), Ryan Crozier (250), Ron Johnson (almost 300), Matt Walsh (270), Arkeel Newsome (185), Tommy Myers (302)
Cole Ormsby had 400? Wow, didn't remember seeing that much of him. And Foley only 195? I do remember him.

Reaction Score
When did I say that you said that?

What I'm saying to you is that your formula of Foley - Edsall = mixed results, insinuating in some way that he may not be good. As if you weren't sure. As if you didn't have enough data to support the conclusion. So I helped you out...

Despite McCoombs running for 1,200 yards in 2011 our offensive line still struggled at times. After Edsall our offense switch to a different blocking scheme and our offensive lines have never been as good as the unit that went down to Wacco, Texas and pushed the Baylor dline halfway to houston. We had two offensive coordinators since Edsall that were offensive line guys, so knowing how much Foley is responsible for the lines successes and failures is a mystery to everyone on this board. Maybe it was the the coordinator's fault or maybe Foley isn't as effective teaching this new system as he was under Edsall.

If Foley was the offensive line genius that many here believe why wasn't he picked up by another program when he was relegated to TEs under the PPGDL regime?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Lets just hope Cummings and Diaco are not like the GDL and PP relationship where PP would rather burn down everything than get rid of his boy friend. Of all things, that refusal to do what was right for the team by the HC most bothered me. I feel like Diaco's move is a bit of a circle the wagons and purge the outsider, instead of dealing with the OC problem.

Now accepting wagers on how many games next season it'll take before "BDMC" is said with the same anger as "PPGDL".

Reaction Score
Now accepting wagers on how many games next season it'll take before "BDMC" is said with the same anger as "PPGDL".
Oh please bit your tongue, One set of fans can only deal with so much.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He did a very solid job for a long time... but if we can't replace him we are screwed anyway.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he's rooting for Diaco to fail and get fired so he can jump for joy and start gloating "I was right all along!" all over the BY.

So far Diaco has failed. But you Delusionists continue to miss the point here. None of us want him to fail, because if he does that means UConn fails. You really think someone on this board wants UConn to fail? I've been a UConn fan for over 40 years, you really think I want them to fail? I'm not a Delusionist like you however who thinks just because a coach is paid a lot of money it means he can do a good job. So far I've been right and you've been wrong, every step of the way. From the car salesman double speak, to the horrific, embarrassing starting QB press conference, to the mass substitutions and red-zone QB change against BYU, to the not even trying USF game on and on and on all the way through the embarrasing loss to SMU. I've been right, you've been wrong. Say it out loud for me, c'mon, you can do it.

If he improves as a coach and the team actually improves next year, SOMETHING THEY DID NOT DO AT ALL THIS YEAR, I will be the first one to say it. And if the year after that has us back being bowl eligible and continuing to improve I again will be the happiest guy on this board. But despite being born and raised in CT when it comes to football coaches I am from Missouri and I need to see it before I buy into it. You see a million dollar salary and think it equals talent while I see an emperor without any clothes. Who's been right so far?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So far I've been right and you've been wrong, every step of the way.
I've been right, you've been wrong. Say it out loud for me, c'mon, you can do it.

I feel like all you care about is strutting around a message board like a goshdarn peacock bragging about how right you are.

I'm not a "Delusionist" (by the way, if you're going to try and make a pun on his name, Bob Fiasco is much funnier). I don't think Diaco did a good job last year. I was disappointed in the moves he made on the sideline, put off by his weirdness, and frustrated with the W-L record. The difference between you and me, my friend, is that I don't take pride in Diaco's failures in order to crown myself as the next Nostradamus. I don't give a damn how long you've been a fan for.

Reaction Score
So far Diaco has failed. But you Delusionists continue to miss the point here. None of us want him to fail, because if he does that means UConn fails. You really think someone on this board wants UConn to fail? I've been a UConn fan for over 40 years, you really think I want them to fail? I'm not a Delusionist like you however who thinks just because a coach is paid a lot of money it means he can do a good job. So far I've been right and you've been wrong, every step of the way. From the car salesman double speak, to the horrific, embarrassing starting QB press conference, to the mass substitutions and red-zone QB change against BYU, to the not even trying USF game on and on and on all the way through the embarrasing loss to SMU. I've been right, you've been wrong. Say it out loud for me, c'mon, you can do it.

If he improves as a coach and the team actually improves next year, SOMETHING THEY DID NOT DO AT ALL THIS YEAR, I will be the first one to say it. And if the year after that has us back being bowl eligible and continuing to improve I again will be the happiest guy on this board. But despite being born and raised in CT when it comes to football coaches I am from Missouri and I need to see it before I buy into it. You see a million dollar salary and think it equals talent while I see an emperor without any clothes. Who's been right so far?

Dear "Jesus not in the huddle",

You have put me in a real mess this time! I am up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I have a team with little experience and a shaky offensive line. For Pete's sake I am in better shape than they are and they could not even bench a few loaves of bread and some fishes. On top of that their attitudes are not too good. They are pretty depressed about their last two to three years. They doubt their own abilities and their locker rooms are grungy. Morale is so bad they're starting to quit.

Yeah, you also gave me quarterbacks with upper body and lower leg injuries. I don't want to be too specific cause I'm new and don't want to get in trouble with Hippa or anybody else. But you know what I'm talking about! Please help me out with somebody who can throw the Hail Mary and run like the wind when the bad guys are coming.

Another thing. How can you expect me to play with only 65 guys? I'm supposed to have 85! I mean, I can't walk on water! I tried but when I looked down at the water on the field at USF I just started to sink! Send me more players.

By the way you never told me I'd be preaching to the public. You know how much I hate that. I find myself saying the same thing over and over again and the scribes are really getting pissed at me. Also I could use a different sermon.

I've told all the guys that we've got to get this right and we'll be better one day at a time and they'll become better people.

You can certainly help me more and I'll use all your suggestions but stay away from the Rent and the Burton complex. Just give me three years to get the job done before you judge me. And tell the guy with the perfect hair that I always have my clothes on.

Your friend,
Bob Diaco

PS From now on we're not doing that turn the other cheek thing!

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Dear Jesus

Blah, blah, 500 excuses, blah, blah, blah.

Signed

Bob Diaco

P.S. Interested in a new previously owned car? No money down!!!!

Reaction Score

I agree. Foley was a good coach but when was the last time an offensive lineman from UConn played in the Pro Bowl? How many former offensive linemen from UConn played in the NFL playoffs this year? My point is Foley was good but we need great. Diaco needs to upgrade that position so that Husky O-linemen start representing in the pros, which of course makes it easier to recruit more guys that can represent. The O-line has been the weakest link for a while now. It's definitely time for a change, but it has to be one for the better or the next coaching change might start at the top.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I agree. Foley was a good coach but when was the last time an offensive lineman from UConn played in the Pro Bowl? How many former offensive linemen from UConn played in the NFL playoffs this year? My point is Foley was good but we need great. Diaco needs to upgrade that position so that Husky O-linemen start representing in the pros, which of course makes it easier to recruit more guys that can represent. The O-line has been the weakest link for a while now. It's definitely time for a change, but it has to be one for the better or the next coaching change might start at the top.

F98k the Pros - I want college football players...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

An offensive line coach is only good if his players make it to the NFL Pro Bowl??? Now I've heard it all...

Reaction Score
All I hear is we have the talent but bad coaches.

Except for Foley who is a great coach.

But if we have great talent. And Foley is a great coach. How is our OL still mediocre 20 games (and 15 months) after PP/GDL got bounced? How was the entire team out of shape when HCBD showed up? Shouldn't the OL have been in good shape at least?

So it is all him when the OL was great and when they aren't it is someone else's fault? If he is that great where was the SEC coming year after year to poach him?

He did a nice job for a lot of years. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom