Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So far Diaco has failed. But you Delusionists continue to miss the point here. None of us want him to fail, because if he does that means UConn fails. You really think someone on this board wants UConn to fail? I've been a UConn fan for over 40 years, you really think I want them to fail? I'm not a Delusionist like you however who thinks just because a coach is paid a lot of money it means he can do a good job. So far I've been right and you've been wrong, every step of the way. From the car salesman double speak, to the horrific, embarrassing starting QB press conference, to the mass substitutions and red-zone QB change against BYU, to the not even trying USF game on and on and on all the way through the embarrasing loss to SMU. I've been right, you've been wrong. Say it out loud for me, c'mon, you can do it.
Okay genius - you were right all along (even though I don't recall you sharing your insight with the rest of us until halfway through the season - but whatever). Here's a cookie.
chocolate-chip-cookies.JPG

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
All I hear is we have the talent but bad coaches.

Except for Foley who is a great coach.

But if we have great talent. And Foley is a great coach. How is our OL still mediocre 20 games (and 15 months) after PP/GDL got bounced? How was the entire team out of shape when HCBD showed up? Shouldn't the OL have been in good shape at least?

So it is all him when the OL was great and when they aren't it is someone else's fault? If he is that great where was the SEC coming year after year to poach him?

He did a nice job for a lot of years. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Because your story HAS to be correct, right? Because it COULDN'T be the fact that for 2 years, he WASN'T in charge of the OLine. Right? Hmm...

Paul Pasqualoni - Head Coach
Don Brown - Defensive Coordinator, Cornerbacks
George DeLeone - Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line
Hank Hughes - Assistant Head Coach, Defensive Line
Matt Cersosimo - Wide Receivers, Recruiting Coordinator
Shane Day - Quarterbacks
Mike Foley - Tight Ends

Thanks for your input, but you'll have to forgive me for deferring to the statement that Ryan Griffin's dad made on the board...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It was all of the above. Edsall's OL recruiting tailed towards the end of his tenure. They were poorly coached by the new regime. They were under developed. We lost YEARS on the OL, and it was major suckitude in multiple areas, for multiple years, that led us to this place.

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Because your story HAS to be correct, right? Because it COULDN'T be the fact that for 2 years, he WASN'T in charge of the OLine. Right? Hmm... Paul Pasqualoni - Head Coach Don Brown - Defensive Coordinator, Cornerbacks George DeLeone - Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line Hank Hughes - Assistant Head Coach, Defensive Line Matt Cersosimo - Wide Receivers, Recruiting Coordinator Shane Day - Quarterbacks Mike Foley - Tight Ends Thanks for your input, but you'll have to forgive me for deferring to the statement that Ryan Griffin's dad made on the board...

So if he is the best coach ever then the line should be great in 15 months no?

And if not, how can people just Diaco's balls since he hasn't had as much time?

Reaction Score
And btw Oriakhi's dad said a lot of stuff too.

(And it isn't that I don't believe Mr. Griffin-I just don't automatically think we will be worse without him)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So if he is the best coach ever then the line should be great in 15 months no?

And if not, how can people just Diaco's balls since he hasn't had as much time?

Could it be that he started from scratch with many of those guys after having lost Greene, Bennett, Bullock, and Friend?!?
Could it be that after he started from scratch, that the OLine was the ONLY unit that showed improvement over the "practice" year of 2014?!?

It's ridiculous that you continue on with your line of argument, and it's more than ridiculous that you just compared the statements of Ryan Griffin's dad to the statements of Alex Oriakhi's dad. That tells me pretty much what I needed to know, and I'm quite confident that there's no point in discussing it further with you...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Could it be that he started from scratch with many of those guys after having lost Greene, Bennett, Bullock, and Friend?!? Could it be that after he started from scratch, that the OLine was the ONLY unit that showed improvement over the "practice" year of 2014?!? It's ridiculous that you continue on with your line of argument, and it's more than ridiculous that you just compared the statements of Ryan Griffin's dad to the statements of Alex Oriakhi's dad. That tells me pretty much what I needed to know, and I'm quite confident that there's no point in discussing it further with you...

The fact that you don't find something odd in the fact that a guy like Foley, who was well respected and successful, stayed around to get demoted, go through 3 years of crap, only to inherit a mess and then get dumped by the HC is very strange to me.

He should have been kicking and screaming the whole time PP/GDL were here. Instead he just went along and watched his good work get destroyed. And then he still didn't leave.

I have very little to say about his coaching. I've never called him a bad coach regardless of what you think I have said. His career decision making skills on the other hand make no sense to me. They show a level of passivity that I can do without.

Would you take a demotion and watch the guy you got demoted for ruin everything you have done and just take it? And then stick around to get canned?

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
Could it be that he started from scratch with many of those guys after having lost Greene, Bennett, Bullock, and Friend?!? Could it be that after he started from scratch, that the OLine was the ONLY unit that showed improvement over the "practice" year of 2014?!? It's ridiculous that you continue on with your line of argument, and it's more than ridiculous that you just compared the statements of Ryan Griffin's dad to the statements of Alex Oriakhi's dad. That tells me pretty much what I needed to know, and I'm quite confident that there's no point in discussing it further with you...

The fact that you don't find something odd in the fact that a guy like Foley, who was well respected and successful, stayed around to get demoted, go through 3 years of crap, only to inherit a mess and then get dumped by the HC is very strange to me.

He should have been kicking and screaming the whole time PP/GDL were here. Instead he just went along and watched his good work get destroyed. And then he still didn't leave.

I have very little to say about his coaching. I've never called him a bad coach regardless of what you think I have said. His career decision making skills on the other hand make no sense to me. They show a level of passivity that I can do without.

Would you take a demotion and watch the guy you got demoted for ruin everything you have done and just take it? And then stick around to get canned?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

The fact that you can't understand why a guy would stay on as a coach of a football team that he had been a part of for the 6 years prior to that moment, in order to stay at a place that he probably felt a deep connection to, tells me all I need to know about your assessment of someone's career movements.

Sometimes you can be a pretty darn good positions coach and be out of work for a little while. For more on that, see "TJ Weist". But why am I discussing this with you, the guy who knows why people make the career decisions that they make and what it "says" about their character? I should just send my questions to Mr. Oriakhi. Thanks, dude...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
The fact that you can't understand why a guy would stay on as a coach of a football team that he had been a part of for the 6 years prior to that moment, in order to stay at a place that he probably felt a deep connection to, tells me all I need to know about your assessment of someone's career movements. Sometimes you can be a pretty darn good positions coach and be out of work for a little while. For more on that, see "TJ Weist". But why am I discussing this with you, the guy who knows why people make the career decisions that they make and what it "says" about their character? I should just send my questions to Mr. Oriakhi. Thanks, dude...

So it's no big deal to be told that you aren't good enough for the job after you took the team to the Fiesta Bowl? Had PP/GDL been successful maybe I would have understood. Had he stayed a season maybe I would have understood, if only to conduct an orderly job search.

Bottom line: he was a very good coach
Bottom line: it isn't a catastrophe that he is gone
Bottom line: I don't understand why people stick around after demotions

Anything else you think I said you made it up.

Reaction Score
This is spot on with why this type of offense is not going to work well for many G5 schools. We just don't get the caliber athletes needed to run a standard, pro-style offense that Diaco is looking for. He does realize this isn't ND or a school with fertile recruiting grounds, right? I don't wanna doubt the guy but sometimes you need to get innovative in order to succeed. Having a spread, high octane offense, is a way to win, IMO. Ground and pound with a weak O-Line is not gonna cut it, a la last season. Granted, we need to find a QB that can run a high-octane offense but that's another thing.

I just get a terrible feeling when a coach says they wanna run a standard style offense at UConn. We just don't get the talent to do so. We're not the P5's of the world who can pull in the talent to successfully run these types of offenses like I feel Diaco envisions.

I very well could be wrong and I sure as heck hope I'm proved wrong. However, last season didn't provide much optimism.

The reference to this type of offense is not going to work well for many G5 schools is strange. We don't get the caliber athletes to run a standard, pro-style offense? I just don't get where you are coming from on this one. Both offenses, spread and Pro set require good athletes to be successful. They are different philosophies and both can be very effective. To say we don't have enough of a fertile recruiting ground to run a Pro offense is curious. Like Mike Aresco, I am getting tired of the P5, G5 references. With 50 Million people in Bob Diaco's recruiting footprint, he can find enough good players to run any type of offense he wants. Don't take my word for it. In time, you will be proved wrong.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And if not, how can people just (bust?) Diaco's balls since he hasn't had as much time?

Because the whole Foley deal doesn't pass the smell test to me. A cynic might think Diaco kept Foley on to tweak the previous regime. And now his big change is to make Foley the scapegoat? That's how you change the culture?

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
Because the whole Foley deal doesn't pass the smell test to me. A cynic might think Diaco kept Foley on to tweak the previous regime. And now his big change is to make Foley the scapegoat? That's how you change the culture?

None of it passes the smell test to me. But even if he is still great, he isn't on the same page as Diaco or he would still be here. So much of this is baffling.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Smell test or no, Diaco has to be interested in either advancement some day, or at the very least, self preservation. Point being every one of his moves (in theory) have those in mind.... And that means winning. Some day. I think.

Reaction Score
At this point coach has the luxury of deciding who goes. We still don't know who's coming and it's a pretty big deal imo who wants to be here. If things don't turn around it won't be so much his decision as the coaches reflecting on the leadership of the program. And they're all his guys now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom