Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
First off, who says he knows far better than you? He hasn't proved it as a head coach. Second, that's not the bar he has to clear. He needs to know far better than the coaches he is facing, he needs to know far batter than other coaches we could have hired. I hate, hate, hate when fans fall back on "he knows more than me so he must know what he is doing" Neither side of that argument has to be true and in a lot of bad coaching cases neither side IS true.

Tell me about the $1 million/year jobs you've had or have turned down in college football.

I'm curious if the industry values you more than Diaco.

Reaction Score
Its obviously en vogue to to assume that a basketball rich area would convert to talent at the TE position, but the Jimmy Grahams of the world are rare. Have you watched high school/prep basketball at the elite level ? Kids playing at elite schools in this area do not have the body (in general) to play D1 football. They're too thin and would take years to build a body that could take a beating and realistically contribute, even against the poor talent in the AAC.

If you want to have an offense like Stanford, its not about converting basketball talent to TE, its about getting guys who have size that can block. Its a power run based offense, not based around 6'9 210lb former strong forwards from the bball prep circuit. Also, I think you are under estimating the level of talent that Stanford has. It started with Harbaugh and has continued with Shaw, but they recruit at an elite level (within their difficult standards). The reason that Stanford beat Maryland, is because they have elite talent throughout their roster and executed their scheme at a much higher level. To even remotely hint that uconn can recruit at that level is crazy.

UCONN has a track record of taking talent from the basketball court and converting it to football talent. And I'm not talking about B-ball prep circuit players, I'm talking about raw, big guys that play basketball. Look up a guy named Tavarr Closs from Hartford. I won't bore you with a long list, but in the immediate term, our OT in this 2015 recruiting class from New London was a basketball player that started playing football late in high school, and only ended up on the recruiting radar because of his ability there. I hope he develops as others before him have. We've put players in the NFL, recruited from pick up basketball games. UCONN is a basketball school, and the region is basketball oriented, and we can make that good to our advantage.

If you look back, and re-read you'll see that we don't have to recruit like Stanford does, because we don't play in the Pac-10 and compete with the programs that Stanford does. We need to recruit to compete and win against the competition in the AAC conference. We can do that by recruiting smart athletes with adequate physical ability and speed for the most part. A program like Stanford, gets the smart and the elite talented and fast to compete with the likes of Oregon week in and week out. We aren't there, but there is no reason we can't win lots of games and get nationally ranked anyway.

Recruiting smart football players is a good thing to do, and not something that should be feared or looked at as a negative thing. Recruiting with high academic standards is a GREAT thing. The problem we have at UCONN, is that we are smack in the middle of Connecticut and have lots and lots of schools all around that can offer the same kinds of education that a Stanford does or a UCONN does and recruit smart athletes. It's not something to be feared though, because we also live in a corridor from Washington through to Boston that has close to a population of 100 million people. Finding 85 players that can play elite division 1 football in this region, is not as hard as some would make it out to be. If Diaco is to be a success, it's his recruiting plan that will lead to it for sure, because his game time coaching as a head coach is way behind the curve. So far, everything in that respect is good, Diaco needs to assemble a staff that can apply unified football concepts to a program a whole and develop effective game plans and become and effective game time head coach. That's where the worry with this guy lies.

That's the abstract football look.

Cutcliffe at Duke, has unfortunately, beaten UCONN to the punch in developing the recruiting mantra of being a Stanford type of program on the east coast, but they will always be Duke and will suck, and UCONN can beat Duke.

That's husky true blue talking.

Reaction Score
Diaco moves Cummings to OL/ TE caoch and hires a new OC that's my guess. IMO, Cummings should of been coaching the OL in the first place since he produced a no. 1 overall OT in Eric Fisher.

I was waiting to get to the end of the thread to write something similar - don't know if it will come to fruition, but clearly a possibility.

Reaction Score
#1 - Any chance Foley left on his own?
#2 - OK Spackler, I'll bite .... Donald Thomas and Danny Murray ;)

Reaction Score
The coach of the only component of the team that actually improved over the season while every other phase went backwards is leaving? Hmmm.

Reaction Score
And his comment about big o lineman just reeks of Coach P. I didn't think I could get more depressed about the state of the program. Guess I was wrong.

I am going to miss Coach Foley. He deserves better.

Reaction Score
I was waiting to get to the end of the thread to write something similar - don't know if it will come to fruition, but clearly a possibility.

That is the only thing that makes sense here. The other proposal is that Diaco extends the OC/OL/TE duties to Cummings, which I feel is asking for too much, so I don't see this happening.

Reaction Score
And his comment about big o lineman just reeks of Coach P. I didn't think I could get more depressed about the state of the program. Guess I was wrong.

How? PP may have said this, but look at the average size of the OL he brought in compared to those currently committed. Diaco says things about what envisions on the OL and at other positions, the recruits the staff has targeted and those that have committed prove exactly that. With the 3 year fiasco of the previous regime, to many around here at too quick to shoot down any possible success for the future of Diaco, staff and the program. This is going to be a long off season. I am hopeful and confident about that future. Whether we see a night and day change from 2014 to 2015 remains to be seen. But we have not seen a recruiting class quite like the one currently committed. The quotes from Murphy and Ulizio are encouraging. February 4th can't get here soon enough!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Getting rid of the offensive line coach is "changes"? That's it?!

Diaco just threw a deck chair off the Titanic.

Woo.

I guess I missed the quote from Diaco saying that the only thing he was doing to change the offense was to get rid of the offensive line coach.

Reaction Score
That is the only thing that makes sense here. The other proposal is that Diaco extends the OC/OL/TE duties to Cummings, which I feel is asking for too much, so I don't see this happening.
Theres no way Cummings takes a step down from OC to coach JUST the OL and TE. But I would like to see a change at OC.

Reaction Score
I guess I missed the quote from Diaco saying that the only thing he was doing to change the offense was to get rid of the offensive line coach.
I believe it is only the first change we will see. How much of the staff will change? That remains to be seen. Things have been quiet for a while, its going to be a long off-season and people are jumping to conclusions at the first sign of news and rumors.

Reaction Score

We will all miss coach Foley and I wish him the best, but lets not get discouraged we have a guy who coached up Eric Fisher in Cummings. Let's not forget that we all wanted a new OC and this might actually be possible now that Foley is gone. If Cummings is moved to OL/TE we have an OC job to be filled, so let's hope that's how this turns out.

Reaction Score
Theres no way Cummings takes a step down from OC to coach JUST the OL and TE. But I would like to see a change at OC.

Why wouldn't he? Diaco and Cummings are best friends, and if its for the benefit of the team for him to step down then I don't see why he wouldn't do that.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't he? Diaco and Cummings are best friends, and if its for the benefit of the team for him to step down then I don't see why he wouldn't do that.
Really? Would you want to step down from your current job, to a lower level job and a pay cut? I wouldn't either.

Reaction Score
Really? Would you want to step down from your current job, to a lower level job and a pay cut? I wouldn't either.

It happens all the time this wouldn't be nothing new, its business, nothing personal.

Reaction Score
It happens all the time this wouldn't be nothing new, its business, nothing personal.
Why would anyone do that to stay with the same team that just went 2-10? He would basically have been fired as OC. Think of the same way as the TJ Weist situation. Many wanted Weist to remain HC, myself included. Some countered with bringing Weist back as OC again. It was never going to happen. Being given HC duties and then taking a step back to be OC again. Same instance here with Cummings. While he wasn't the OL/TE coach promoted to OC and then going back, I view it in a similar light. Taking a step down with the same team/program is not in the cards.

Reaction Score
#1 - Any chance Foley left on his own?
#2 - OK Spackler, I'll bite .... Donald Thomas and Danny Murray ;)
Foley maybe decided to take another job? Elsewhere? For more money?

Reaction Score
Why would anyone do that to stay with the same team that just went 2-10? He would basically have been fired as OC. Think of the same way as the TJ Weist situation. Many wanted Weist to remain HC, myself included. Some countered with bringing Weist back as OC again. It was never going to happen. Being given HC duties and then taking a step back to be OC again. Same instance here with Cummings. While he wasn't the OL/TE coach promoted to OC and then going back, I view it in a similar light. Taking a step down with the same team/program is not in the cards.

Whether you agree or not it happens all the time, but we shall see what happens with this situation.

Reaction Score
I'm not going back and forth wit you dude do your own research
Why? Dude. I don't see or hear of what you say anywhere. At least it never makes any news, dude. Prove it, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom