Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Changes To the Offensive Staff Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
When you treat an entire 2014 season as practice for the sake of progress, you better be ready to produce Ws right out of the gates in 2015. If he thinks the offense wasn't ready to do that (and nothing from 2014 showed it was), then make changes now. I'd rather beef up the staff now then during the season when pickings are slim and it will take a while for the players to adjust.

Reaction Score
Coach P would not make changes to his personal when things were not working out until Ward forced him to do so. I do think that it is a positive sign that the head coach is willing to make changes to benefit the program. Foley may not be the right fit for the type of offensive that Diaco wants to run.

Reaction Score

"It is no different (than what he said when he was hired), it is Stanford, it is Alabama, in terms of what kinds of games you are watching it is a run the ball with authority attack, it is deep vertical drop-back passing, it is plays that protect that run, there are a lot of screens ..." Diaco said.

Ugh.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Coach P would not make changes to his personal when things were not working out until Ward forced him to do so. I do think that it is a positive sign that the head coach is willing to make changes to benefit the program. Foley may not be the right fit for the type of offensive that Diaco wants to run.

Yeah, I get the feeling we're moving towards a read-option style of attack. That requires a different method of blocking then just hat on hat. My guess is that Diaco thinks Foley is more of a Pro Style OL coach since that's all we've really run since the move up.

Reaction Score
First of all...I encourage you to hit the link and read the whole article.

Amazing what a bunch of negative nancies there are on this board. I just have to assume that anyone level headed or optimistic has stopped posting on here.

This board...including myself....bitched endlessly about the crappy approach to the offense this past year. Diaco shares some insight (because as he said the plan isn't done yet...and this isn't a press release..he is just answering a reporters question), that he wasn't happy with the offense and he is making changes. I take this as good news. I know the favorite retort is that "it is hard to have blind optimism after last year"...but...how about giving him a little credit? Does the assumption always have to be that the coach is an idiot and you know better?
Spot on Shaky! That was exactly my thought as well! There were so many complaints about the offense during the season...and rightly so, but then BD shares that he is not happy with either and is going to make some changes. Now...more complaints. Ridiculous...where did all the positive people go?! I thought this was a UConn fan board...not a fantasy head coaching site! ;)

Reaction Score
Yeah, I get the feeling we're moving towards a read-option style of attack.

I'd be fine with that, and in the last 5 games it certainly looked that way, but everything he is quoted as saying in the article points in the exact opposite direction.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
He made me into the negative Nancy I am.

Foley was one of the best position coaches we've had. Maybe it was just time for a split, I don't know, but I don't view losing good coaches as a good thing.

I gave Diaco all the credit in the world until he treated the first few games of the season as an exhibition season, and made some mind boggling decisions. They've been discussed ad naseum, no need to rehash. He's not an idiot. He knows far better than I ever will. But he burned through all his credit with me. You can assume whatever you want, but a difference of opinion doesn't make me less level headed, just less optimistic. But virtually everything he's done since his opening press conference has chipped away at my optimism.

First off, who says he knows far better than you? He hasn't proved it as a head coach. Second, that's not the bar he has to clear. He needs to know far better than the coaches he is facing, he needs to know far batter than other coaches we could have hired. I hate, hate, hate when fans fall back on "he knows more than me so he must know what he is doing" Neither side of that argument has to be true and in a lot of bad coaching cases neither side IS true.

Reaction Score
For most of us, Foley is a known, and successful, coach. Based on his success at UConn, he should not have a problem finding a new position and I wish him luck.

Unfortunately, the other offensive coaches are not well known to us and their past histories do not point to wild success. This past year can not give anybody confidence that we are going to have a competent offense and Diaco just got rid of one of UConn's most successful offensive coach, which is a concern.

Cummings is a long time offensive line coach and probably he and Foley didn't work well together.

Reaction Score
First off, who says he knows far better than you? He hasn't proved it as a head coach. Second, that's not the bar he has to clear. He needs to know far better than the coaches he is facing, he needs to know far batter than other coaches we could have hired. I hate, hate, hate when fans fall back on "he knows more than me so he must know what he is doing" Neither side of that argument has to be true and in a lot of bad coaching cases neither side IS true.

I say he knows better than me. I've never even coached a peewee team. He knows better than me. That doesn't mean his decision are correct.

I didn't say "he knows more than me so he must know what he is doing", I was responding to the post that said posters like me think we know better. I don't know better, but we can all analyze results, and they speak for themselves. He's got another year or two at the most to produce results.

You're right, he needs to know far better than other coaches, or surround himself with people that do. I think he just got rid of one that does. Which is why i'm not happy with this move, BUT, I don't know how the relationship is. If Foley isn't on the same page, he should go. Everyone needs to be on the same page, rowing in the same direction. There is no right or wrong way to win. There are many ways to win. A brilliant plan, that isn't executed for lack of buy-in, is rendered worthless.

Reaction Score
The most important piece of information in that blog piece IMNSHO, is that we are January 8, 2015, and have 60 scholarship athletes with eligibility remaining. He talks about a goal of 100% success when it comes to retaining players and avoiding attrition. That's an admirable goal for sure, unrealistic for sure too, but anyone we lose, is a huge loss right now and keeping as many as possible is necessity. Got to work on keeping them academically eligible, developing in all phases of player development, physically ready to play and get them to start being a team on top of it, rather than a group of individuals.

From a basic building block standpoint, as long as Diaco continues along the same path of recruiting that he aggressively has been on through year 1, and is successful in getting the kind of profile of athlete that can both compete on the field with our level of competition in the AAC conference, and can compete in the classroom at UCONN, then in another year from now, we will be HUGELY improved as a program and back up to adequate NLI recruiting cycle scholarship players going into next fall, and then continuing on through the yearly cycles. It seems from the true freshmen that he recruited through 2014, that he is able to hit on players that can compete on the field individually and in the classroom individually. They just need to get assembled as a team.

I've harped this ad nauseum, this is an uphill battle we've had going on for essentially 5 consecutive seasons now, which started with the recruiting decline under Edsall before he left. Pasqualoni started addressing it, but we had another fall off when he got canned. By the 6th recruiting cycle post 2008-2009 cycle, we should be back to a regular roster of 80+ NLI cycle recruits for every fall season horizontally, with a decent upperclassmen to underclassmen ration vertically in the roster.

Anything about the actual game planning and game time play that Diaco says, I'm not paying attention to anymore. I'll let my eyes tell me what's up once we take the field for opening day against Villanova in September for that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A positive step in the right direction would be to do one thing well on offense. Just one thing to hang your hat on.

I'd like it to be power running, but I'll take not turning the ball over if that is the best we can do.

Foley was a transitional holdover as the most respected coach under the old regime. Likely kept around for background insight into the workings of the program. Not surprised he's gone and it probably has nothing to do with his ability as a coach. More like a different take on offense.

BD can have his own guy if we want him to own the results.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm not seeing it but generally we don't recruit like Stanford and Alabama. I don't see any Amari Cooper types or Andrew Lucks picking us. I'm resigned to just having blind trust that things are headed in the right direction.
This is spot on with why this type of offense is not going to work well for many G5 schools. We just don't get the caliber athletes needed to run a standard, pro-style offense that Diaco is looking for. He does realize this isn't ND or a school with fertile recruiting grounds, right? I don't wanna doubt the guy but sometimes you need to get innovative in order to succeed. Having a spread, high octane offense, is a way to win, IMO. Ground and pound with a weak O-Line is not gonna cut it, a la last season. Granted, we need to find a QB that can run a high-octane offense but that's another thing.

I just get a terrible feeling when a coach says they wanna run a standard style offense at UConn. We just don't get the talent to do so. We're not the P5's of the world who can pull in the talent to successfully run these types of offenses like I feel Diaco envisions.

I very well could be wrong and I sure as heck hope I'm proved wrong. However, last season didn't provide much optimism.

Reaction Score
Diaco made some mistakes last year that were puzzling, but I like to think that it was just due to him being a rookie head coach. I think that him make some changes on offense whether is be scheming, coaching or both, is a step in the right direction of him becoming a truly good head coach.

Reaction Score
I had a gut feeling after the first few games(and mentioned as much early in the fall) that Foley would be out. As Diaco seems to have upgraded the strength and conditioning from what was, hopefully he'll follow suit with the teaching of how, who and when to block..... not only from the offensive line perspective but also the FB, TB and TE positions. I'm anxious to see who gets hired.

Reaction Score
Expect more press conferences of " were just not good enough" and when I got here it was a "huge mess, now were a small mess, but we are still a mess".

Maybe I'm not seeing it but generally we don't recruit like Stanford and Alabama. I don't see any Amari Cooper types or Andrew Lucks picking us. I'm resigned to just having blind trust that things are headed in the right direction.

There is a difference between playing like a Stanford or Alabama, and recruiting like a Stanford or Alabama. We don't have to recruit like Stanford or Alabama, as UCONN playing in the AAC conference, to be able to play the game against our schedule with the type of offense emulating those offenses.

What Stanford did to Maryland in their bowl game, with the multiple TE sets, that' a fine offense to execute I think, and I don't see any reason why UCONN could not recruit to play offense like that, against the likes of a Maryland. One profile of athlete that we can find regularly in teh basketball rich northeast, is the tall, big and fast TE types. We just need to develop them, and hopefully we've got a couple already on teh roster, although Tommy Myers needs to learn to keep his ass down when he lines up at scrimmage, or he's useless. We did manage to accumulate wins against Maryland, Louisville, Pittsburgh - only 2 seasons ago.

Offense always starts with the OL though. We'll see if they can improve. Hopefully we are over that hump with recruiting and development going into 2015.

Reaction Score
I just agree with Carl that a simple "heads up, asses down" approach to the O-line is critical. It has been our weak point but it's getting better. I can't argue with the change as much as I like Foley. We've been begging for something different and Bob Diaco is the only one who can do that. Now that it's happening, STFU and see how it works out.

Coach Foley will move on and do well. I wish him the best.

Bob Diaco has gone pretty far out on a limb but we need change here. I wish him the best as well.

He wants the best for his players and for UConn Football. We shall see how it works out. If it does not--- Ouch!

In the meantime, believe! Hope in all things! Love your fellow Boneyarders, even if they have Perfect Hair and irritate the double hockey sticks out of you!

Reaction Score
This is good news if Diaco goes through with it. UConn needs a new OC to open things up and make the games more enjoyable/marketable. Of course, to state the obvious, it may take time for UConn to develop. The Huskies appear to have stud receiver in Thomas coming back, has a pair of potential good backs in Johnson and Newsome, and has been recruiting TE's; but, the OL still needs improvement and the QB situation is a big question mark right now.

I didn't get new OC from that read at all... I'm hoping for one but I didn't g
Dez reporting that Foley is out

Desmond Conner ‏@desmondconner 2m2 minutes ago
Hearing long time #UConnFootball assistant Mike Foley won't be back next season ...

This makes corporate sense... When you change up everything they always hold on to a few short term while immediately getting rid of the rest... short term as in a year tops...

Reaction Score
Beyond that, we can all now safely call "bullsh!t" on "having a plan" this year. If this was the plan all along, why on earth would he move to something completely different 7 games in this year?

"everyone has a plan 'till you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson

Also used as a saying for Diaco in 2014

Reaction Score
A few observations:

1. if, after Chip's breaking news today, you looked at the O staff, the 2 guys on the watch-out list had to be Foley and Corley. Were you thinking he was firing the OC? His mentor, the QB coach? Once he hinted at staff changes, there was not a lot to read into. Foley was a good coach, but it has been a long time since we had an OL that dominated games or a player on the line who could perform at the next level. Oh, and if you
2. how does one get from "I want have an O like Stanford or Bama" to read option? I must be missing something, but neither runs a read option O? I'm unclear what the LT O philosophy here will be, and the QB can dictate minor wrinkles as Bama saw this year, but if I were thinking read option, I would not look at Stanford and Bama.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Getting rid of the offensive line coach is "changes"? That's it?!

Diaco just threw a deck chair off the Titanic.

Woo.

Reaction Score
how does Diaco's comment equate to a new OC?
Other than the appearance of needing a new OC, an actual successful record calling plays and winning, and making no reference to such a replacement ... ;)

Reaction Score
Frankly, if Diaco has something to say he should say it when he can. As a fan I don't want him to "paint a picture" for me. Not sure why he needs to go there before he's ready to make announcements. This guy is really starting to spook me. I hope my instincts are wrong.........

Reaction Score
Diaco moves Cummings to OL/ TE caoch and hires a new OC that's my guess. IMO, Cummings should of been coaching the OL in the first place since he produced a no. 1 overall OT in Eric Fisher.

Reaction Score
There is a difference between playing like a Stanford or Alabama, and recruiting like a Stanford or Alabama. We don't have to recruit like Stanford or Alabama, as UCONN playing in the AAC conference, to be able to play the game against our schedule with the type of offense emulating those offenses.

What Stanford did to Maryland in their bowl game, with the multiple TE sets, that' a fine offense to execute I think, and I don't see any reason why UCONN could not recruit to play offense like that, against the likes of a Maryland. One profile of athlete that we can find regularly in teh basketball rich northeast, is the tall, big and fast TE types. We just need to develop them, and hopefully we've got a couple already on teh roster, although Tommy Myers needs to learn to keep his ass down when he lines up at scrimmage, or he's useless. We did manage to accumulate wins against Maryland, Louisville, Pittsburgh - only 2 seasons ago.

Offense always starts with the OL though. We'll see if they can improve. Hopefully we are over that hump with recruiting and development going into 2015.

Its obviously en vogue to to assume that a basketball rich area would convert to talent at the TE position, but the Jimmy Grahams of the world are rare. Have you watched high school/prep basketball at the elite level ? Kids playing at elite schools in this area do not have the body (in general) to play D1 football. They're too thin and would take years to build a body that could take a beating and realistically contribute, even against the poor talent in the AAC.

If you want to have an offense like Stanford, its not about converting basketball talent to TE, its about getting guys who have size that can block. Its a power run based offense, not based around 6'9 210lb former strong forwards from the bball prep circuit. Also, I think you are under estimating the level of talent that Stanford has. It started with Harbaugh and has continued with Shaw, but they recruit at an elite level (within their difficult standards). The reason that Stanford beat Maryland, is because they have elite talent throughout their roster and executed their scheme at a much higher level. To even remotely hint that uconn can recruit at that level is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom