Celtics Pursuing Kemba Walker? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Celtics Pursuing Kemba Walker?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As a life long C's fan I trust Danny to put the best team he can on the floor. My higher priority in fandom is UConn and I would believe that Kemba to the Knicks would be a boost to recruiting in the tristate area. So I want Kemba in the Garden

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If you use cap room to sign players, you can't use the Midlevel to exceed the cap, only the Room. Midlevel is for teams over the cap throughout the offseason. Then there's two types of Midlevel: non-taxpayer and taxpayer. Those care about the apron.

I’m looking at that explanation. It’s not 100% clear that they’re only at room if they go over the cap to resign Berlin Wall.

Reaction Score
If you land kemba and say Noel, that team is rather competitive....if GH gets back to his old self.

I recognize there’s a non zero chance he never does. But no one would be saying anything about that contract without his catastrophic injury. Not much you can do when that happens.

For all the bashing on Hayward he had essentially the same win shares with a much better bpm and vorp than Tatum or Brown.

Completely agree, I'm not pretending Hayward was is and will always be a bum, just that its easy to forget how much money he is taking up by the fact that he was not much of a force this past season and was out the entire season before. In addition, the success of the draft picks of Brown and Tatum make it easy to look at the roster and wish the Hayward contract had never happened. If they could trade that for a similar contract with a star big, and add Kemba? Wow, I'd be high on the potential...

the Q

Reaction Score
Completely agree, I'm not pretending Hayward was is and will always be a bum, just that its easy to forget how much money he is taking up by the fact that he was not much of a force this past season and was out the entire season before. In addition, the success of the draft picks of Brown and Tatum make it easy to look at the roster and wish the Hayward contract had never happened. If they could trade that for a similar contract with a star big, and add Kemba? Wow, I'd be high on the potential...

I guess my question is who are you signing that is on a healthy GH's level?

Not Durant. Not Kyrie.

Kemba we are already counting as in.

If we thought Kawhi wanted to be in Boston, he'd already be in Boston (although Jaylen Brown being a sticking point is downright laughable).

As much as he essentially rehabbed throughout 2018/19, I'm not sure where the upside is for a better player than GH.

Maybe a healthy Cousins...maybe.

Reaction Score
Edwards is going to be fantastic in the NBA. Surprised no one took him in the 1st round.
I’m a Celtics fan and I liked watching him in college, but I don’t love Edwards’ chances of being good in the NBA.

Size: He’s small, granted he’s athletic which is good.

Shooting: He’s a great shooter

Passing/Playmaking: well below average for an NBA PG

Non-perimeter offense: 49.2% at the rim in college which profiles as well below average in the NBA. 36.2% on mid range jumpers which isn’t going to do his efficiency any favors either.

Defense: he took such a big offensive burden in college that it’s tough to project this yet

Offensively he’s going to have to be a sniper barring a huge step forward as a distributor.

the Q

Reaction Score
I’m a Celtics fan and I liked watching him in college, but I don’t love Edwards’ chances of being good in the NBA.

Size: He’s small, granted he’s athletic which is good.

Shooting: He’s a great shooter

Passing/Playmaking: well below average for an NBA PG

Non-perimeter offense: 49.2% at the rim in college which profiles as well below average in the NBA. 36.2% on mid range jumpers which isn’t going to do his efficiency any favors either.

Defense: he took such a big offensive burden in college that it’s tough to project this yet

Offensively he’s going to have to be a sniper barring a huge step forward as a distributor.

I saw this really cool tweet on twitter that ran an algorithm that found that Edwards expected height (based on his play/stats) had him at almost 6'3. But I cannot find it anymore.

Not that I'm disagreeing with what you're saying, I just thought it was fascinating and thought you'd appreciate it if you hadn't seen it yet.

Reaction Score
I’m looking at that explanation. It’s not 100% clear that they’re only at room if they go over the cap to resign Berlin Wall.

Yeah I don't know exactly how that works with timing, but I think Celtics have to renounce almost everyone to get the cap holds off the books to afford Kemba, so then they can't use rights to go back over the cap and would have to use Room. The rule also may just be worded that signing anyone using cap room negates true midlevel availability.

Reaction Score
I saw this really cool tweet on twitter that ran an algorithm that found that Edwards expected height (based on his play/stats) had him at almost 6'3. But I cannot find it anymore.

Not that I'm disagreeing with what you're saying, I just thought it was fascinating and thought you'd appreciate it if you hadn't seen it yet.

He's got a 6'6" wingspan (something like +7 to his height). So his functional height isn't necessarily a negative... but definitely not a positive.

The defensive impact and playmaking concerns are the bigger issues.

Reaction Score
All the Hayward bashing needs to stop. His last four years in Utah he averaged, 16, 19, 20, and 22 ppg respectively. He led his team to a 4 seed in the West, and was an all star. We paired him with Kyrie Horford and his former coach Brad Stevens. It was a PERFECT fit. None knew how good Tatum would be, so stop saying we shouldn't have added Hayward because we have Tatum (who was pretty lackluster last year).

Hayward suffered a catastrophic injury and had to sit out the entire year to recover. As soon as he started rehab, he had a second surgery...stalling his recovery for four months. He went into last season with basically no summer workouts and a year removed from playing. You can't count last year and his injured year against him. I believe Hayward will be a good player, and this is the year that he shows it, but quit the bashing for stuff he cannot control, just doesn't make sense. His signing made sense at the time, and made us a title contender.

Reaction Score
All the Hayward bashing needs to stop. His last four years in Utah he averaged, 16, 19, 20, and 22 ppg respectively. He led his team to a 4 seed in the West, and was an all star. We paired him with Kyrie Horford and his former coach Brad Stevens. It was a PERFECT fit. None knew how good Tatum would be, so stop saying we shouldn't have added Hayward because we have Tatum (who was pretty lackluster last year).

Hayward suffered a catastrophic injury and had to sit out the entire year to recover. As soon as he started rehab, he had a second surgery...stalling his recovery for four months. He went into last season with basically no summer workouts and a year removed from playing. You can't count last year and his injured year against him. I believe Hayward will be a good player, and this is the year that he shows it, but quit the bashing for stuff he cannot control, just doesn't make sense. His signing made sense at the time, and made us a title contender.
Good god dude, I assume you're referencing me, but I said basically with hindsight 20/20, that NOW knowing how good Brown/Tatum/Rozier turned out, we didn't need to spend so much money on Hayward... I didn't pretend the Hayward move was a bad one at the time it was made, but continue stomping your feet

C

Chief00

Exactly, in all this Kemba scenario talk that's going on, I keep wondering how could it be that they cant fit Kemba and a decent big under contract if they're losing horford and kyrie... then I saw that Hayward is basically a max contract, good god that makes it tough to field a competitive team until the contract is up
#ChiefCertified

Reaction Score
Good god dude, I assume you're referencing me, but I said basically with hindsight 20/20, that NOW knowing how good Brown/Tatum/Rozier turned out, we didn't need to spend so much money on Hayward... I didn't pretend the Hayward move was a bad one at the time it was made, but continue stomping your feet
I'm not referencing you, I tend to agree with most of your posts lol. I think it was more this thread in a whole I've seen people say that he sucks and I'm in a groupchat with a bunch of Warriors fans who continue to crap on that signing. You're right that now it looks like we don't need him, but I just want him to do well this year to prove everyone wrong because all I hear is how bad he is lol. Let's continue to speak Kemba to Boston into existence though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They weren’t bad. And he was efficient on offense.

You’re off the reservation on this one, Chief.

And go back and look at his combine numbers. White boy or not, he had an impressive vertical and is fast. The guy can flat out play.

Reaction Score
Sign Kemba and trade hayward and the bucks pick to the rockets for PJ Tucker and Capela.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

One other point, while Kyrie was abandoning the offense, Hayward didn’t. He continued to run the offense as Brad designed it, never becoming selfish. That made his numbers less than they would be of he either became a ball hog or played with other guys who stuck to the system.

C

Chief00

They weren’t bad. And he was efficient on offense.

You’re off the reservation on this one, Chief.
That’s a good one about Chief being off the reservation ha ha.
As for Hayward, at his super star salary north of $30M per year - I just don’t see the value. Then when you throw in the opportunity costs (for economics majors) - who else you can’t bring in because of this bloated salary - it makes it even worse. Or if you believe in free markets - try trading him at this price - what teams would bite?
Having said this - I hope you dudes are right and I am wrong. I am not saying he’s a horrible player - just not a superstar at this price tag.

Reaction Score
I can't think of worse off-season outcome than Kemba being a Celtic

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That’s a good one about Chief being off the reservation ha ha.
As for Hayward, at his super star salary north of $30M per year - I just don’t see the value. Then when you throw in the opportunity costs (for economics majors) - who else you can’t bring in because of this bloated salary - it makes it even worse. Or if you believe in free markets - try trading him at this price - what teams would bite?
Having said this - I hope you dudes are right and I am wrong. I am not saying he’s a horrible player - just not a superstar at this price tag.

Well his leg basically fell off. He was a player on the rise and his career trajectory got all messed up. So obviously he hasn’t been a $30M/year player. (As for the market, when he signed, it said he was worth $30M/year.)

The question is whether he can get back on track and start earning that money. The proof will be in the pudding.

Reaction Score
Okay then trade Hayward for a different big

Hayward has no value right now. I doubt the Celtics could even trade him into another teams cap space. Their only option would be to trade him for another untradeable player like CP3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom