OT: - Celtics / Cavs megadeal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Celtics / Cavs megadeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i'll take that bet.
So there is a guy you would bet on being going to 4 All star games in their first 6 years, win Rookie of the year, a title, all star game MVP, and average 24 and 5 while shooting 46% from the field in 51 playoff games?

Can I be your bookie because you must lose a ton of money gambling.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going out on a limb that the trade doesn't occur without Bron Bron's consent?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You serious? I mean really?

IT has been a good player in this league for 2 years, Kyrie has been an All Star since his 2nd year. Kyrie is 3 years younger, signed for 3 years,

One is a 30% 3 point shooter in the playoffs and one is over 40%.

I can go on and on but honestly anyone with a brain knows the two players are not close
Irving is better than Thomas, but a top 5 pick better? Plus throwing in two solid role players, without the guarantee if he'll resign?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Wow. Discuss.

I have many thoughts on it, I'll save em for right now to see what everyone else thinks.

I'm simply a casual basketball fan.

Kyrie to Boston; IT, Crowder, Zizic and Brooklyn's first in 2018. Cleveland did ok for everyone knowing Kyrie was on the way out.

Reaction Score
There were a lot of folks who were lukewarm at best about Irving throughout the regular season. There is a big contingent of Celtic's fans on this board. I am not sure if there is much overlap between these 2 factions but interesting nonetheless. I am on the record thinking Kyrie is actually underrated, at least compared to the consensus of the NBA stat-head community. The NBA remains by far the most interesting professional sport.

Reaction Score
It may or may not be. But they do have another Lotto pick, and IT was about to become a long term problem for the team. I honestly didn't want him to be in a long term contract for the Celtics. Now they get Irving instead?

If Tatum is what many think he is, and they get the Lakers pick, they'll be just fine.
I agree about IT. You definitely did not want to be forced to sign him to a max deal, but you couldn't afford to lose him. I also think Boston has a great shot of resigning Kyrie. But come on, the Celtics over paid. The Cavs had little leverage and the Celts had the best assets by far to offer. That pick didn't need to be included.

Reaction Score
Irving is better than Thomas, but a top 5 pick better? Plus throwing in two solid role players, without the guarantee if he'll resign?
Kyrie is signed for 3 years so your talk of him re-signing makes literally 0 sense. Gordon Hayward just signed a 4 year deal. How long do you think NBA deals are???

Also, the Celtics have a potential other top 5 picks next year, the point of all these picks is to turn them in a superstar who can win a title, they just did that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Kyrie is signed for 3 years so your talk of him re-signing makes literally 0 sense. Gordon Hayward just signed a 4 year deal. How long do you think NBA deals are???

Also, the Celtics have a potential other top 5 picks next year, the point of all these picks is to turn them in a superstar who can win a title, they just did that.
3 years isn't enough when you consider the lifespan of Lebron in the east, and they still aren't good enough to beat the Warriors.

Reaction Score
Great fit - Hayward is going to be a perfect complement and Kyrie will get his wish to be the face of the franchise. But I don't think this trade does a ton to raise their immediate ceiling unless Kyrie makes a leap. And their long term ceiling is definitely going to hinge on the development of Brown and Tatum and whatever pick they get from the 76ers (Lakers/SAC).

Reaction Score
Great fit - Hayward is going to be a perfect complement and Kyrie will get his wish to be the face of the franchise. But I don't think this trade does a ton to raise their immediate ceiling unless Kyrie makes a leap. And their long term ceiling is definitely going to hinge on the development of Brown and Tatum and whatever pick they get from the 76ers (Lakers/SAC).
They're probably better than the Cavs now, right? I mean, I think it quite possible they take East this year, and if (when?) LeBron leaves, they're ready to take the East a few more times.

No one's beating a healthy Warriors, though...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You know what the best part is? Kyrie is signed for 3 more years, IT is signed for 1.

That's the saving grace in the deal for Boston. They need big men. They just gave away the main potential future rebounder they had, plus a draft pick that was all but assured of landing them a great young C/PF. Those don't come around often. They now probably. have no cap space to bring in a quality big man. They really had no room for Crowder anyway.

Reaction Score
I agree about IT. You definitely did not want to be forced to sign him to a max deal, but you couldn't afford to lose him. I also think Boston has a great shot of resigning Kyrie. But come on, the Celtics over paid. The Cavs had little leverage and the Celts had the best assets by far to offer. That pick didn't need to be included.
I think it is a great deal for both teams. Cavs picked up a great pick and when Lebron leaves they can pay IT the max and have someone to build around with Love. Crowder is a throw away for the Celtics and not sure how he fits in with Cleveland but he is a decent player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My guess is that they may not be done. Somebody else may be moving to bring in a rim protector/rebounder.

Reaction Score
3 years isn't enough when you consider the lifespan of Lebron in the east, and they still aren't good enough to beat the Warriors.
Ha now you are just saying stuff because you were made to look foolish. But at least you are not sticking to your IT Kyrie are comparable thing.

Lebron is leaving Cleveland after this year, who knows where he goes.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Good deal for the Cavs considering Kyrie wanted out.

Now if the Lebron rumors about him 100% leaving after this year are true, you can kiss Cleveland ever being relevant again goodbye.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
They're probably better than the Cavs now, right? I mean, I think it quite possible they take East this year, and if (when?) LeBron leaves, they're ready to take the East a few more times.

Possibly, but I dno, this may make the Cavs better short term, their long term prospects better because of the options it provides, AND sets the Celtics up long term if a few things break right.

It's a fascinating trade, by all accounts.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What besides defense does Irving do better than Thomas?

Irving might be the best ball handler in the league.

One of the most clutch players in the league: Kyrie Irving has a scoring average of 6.9 PPG in 18 overtime games, 1.5 higher than any other player in the last 17 seasons.....Kyrie Irving is at 97.7% in career overtime free throws (43-44), per @CavsFredMcLeod. Unbelievably clutch.

Reaction Score

I can't pick against Lebron in the East. The gap is closer but IT will be able to do what Kyrie did in that offense, at least in the regular season. I think Kyrie is without a doubt a better player so I am just considering their fits in the Cleveland offense. The Celtics look to be the presumptive favorite after that, though, depending on the development and health of players on Phi and Mil.

Reaction Score
Possibly, but I dno, this may make the Cavs better short term, their long term prospects better because of the options it provides, AND sets the Celtics up long term if a few things break right.

It's a fascinating trade, by all accounts.

Lebron is still good enough and, for next season at least, is young enough that unless he's hurt the east goes through him. The Celtics are definitely better in the long term but I think the cavs - if Lebron stays beyond this year - will still be the titan in the east for a few years

Reaction Score
I'm honestly pumped as a C's fan. Awesome stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom