CD Post-game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CD Post-game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There should be some penalty. While I understand under current rules they can only consult the monitor to look at the foul in question to see if they need call it flagrant there should be an amendment to that. If the player struck on further examination was found to be faking it they should tack on a technical foul to them. And to take it a step further if they are caught doing it 3 times within a season they should be suspended. I'm not advocating that for any flop but specifically the "Swinging Elbow review" situation as that seems to have become a real problem.
I agree there is a problem, but disagree about a penalty. It is human instinct to avoid getting hit in the face or getting your jaw broken. In the end you must flop to avoid it. On the other hand the offensive player needs to move the hands and the ball to avoid a steal or tie up. So, it is not that simple. Perhaps a rule that says there can't be any lower body contact in those situations? No easy solution, IMO.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thank for bailing out Mike. :) I think it's more corn than hay in Iowa.

True , but baling hay is a tremendous workout!

Nothing readily came to mind re: corn except detasseling, which is an exhausting grind but not an intense workout like hay baling. Plus most people don't know what it is ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Nothing readily came to mind re: corn except detasseling, which is an exhausting grind but not an intense workout like hay baling. Plus most people don't know what it is ;)
Hey! Or is that "hay"? I know about corn de-tasseling. It's a major economic activity.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
As someone who has baled literally tons, maybe hundreds of tons, I have to correct the spelling. Sorry. I may regret admitting this,but I love haying. I literally dream about it. Sometimes when I'm driving around and I see someone haying, I'm tempted to stop and ask if I can help.
Phil- that's the last "straw"

Reaction Score
It seemed to me that after the refs reviewed the KML foul they stopped calling the flop-fouls. Maybe they took a closer look when the Baylor player fell to the floor after seeing the flop in slow mo.

There was one second half play where Stewie (It think) grabbed a rebound and three Baylor players rushed up to her and then all three flopped backwards. Very Keystone Kops! We all cheered when the refs didn't call anything.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Maybe I've got my blue specs on, but when they called KML for the foul and went to the monitor, I was hoping they would see the defender dropped to the floor without contact. I honestly thought they were going to wave off the foul. It was a great acting job, and not the only one.
I thought them looking at the replay sort of changed the foul calls in the second half once they saw they had been totally taken in by a flop. Don't remember any flops from the second half.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I agree there is a problem, but disagree about a penalty. It is human instinct to avoid getting hit in the face or getting your jaw broken. In the end you must flop to avoid it. On the other hand the offensive player needs to move the hands and the ball to avoid a steal or tie up. So, it is not that simple. Perhaps a rule that says there can't be any lower body contact in those situations? No easy solution, IMO.

Recoiling to create space would be the way most of us would avoid getting hit by an impending elbow, but to say "In the end you must flop to avoid it" is not at all accurate.
IMO

Reaction Score
Recoiling to create space would be the way most of us would avoid getting hit by an impending elbow, but to say "In the end you must flop to avoid it" is not at all accurate.
IMO
I agree with you. If there is an agreed upon definition of "flop" and a consistently good way of officials to spot it, a penalty is called for. From what I have seen with officials, however, I would hesitate to give them another rule by which they can influence the game.

Reaction Score
[quote="UConnCat, post: 816094, member: 15
  • [ Didn't get the ball down low enough. Need to work on that, get better angles and make better decisions.[/quote]

Not surprised by that. The team wasn't good as a whole at post entry passing last season and they graduated the two best entry passers on the team.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Dee reffed the Temple game. I personally boo'd her twice during that game...
She calmly puts us in our place…

…..when play gets too rough in OUR pack.

But first, and loudest, in THEIR face…

…..outsiders learn, she’s got our back.
Boneyar Denmother.PNG

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When KML got called for a foul with both arms up and moving them to avoid having the ball stolen one of two things should've happened. A time out should've been called and 2 she needs space to move. When standing straight up and moving your arms to avoid having the ball from being stolen should be allowed. Any intentional elbow throwing should be a foul. Tuff call.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tony, there is no rule requiring the defense to give her space. She is only entitled to verticality, the space above her and to not be fouled by hacking. She is not entitled to space to pivot or anything else. Her option to avoid losing the ball is calling timeout.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Did it for years in my youth. Also rogueing.

HGN

Reaction Score
Yeah I was wondering about that. How many points in the paint did our front line have in the first half?
I was screaming at the tv to get the ball down low in the paint to Dolson all night long. We never attacked them in the paint with our size down low. I agree with CD, thats something they will have to work on.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The tape review could have shown the refs something hard for them to see at regular speed - I thought it was a classic elbow swing clock when I first saw it... but, i do believe they CANNOT wave off the foul via video. They can only NOT call a flagrant 1/2. But, they can "learn" from what they see....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rogueing?? Sorry, from the Midwest but a city kid....
To weed out or cull diseased or defective individuals from a crop field .

Basically we went through fields and cut out either too tall or too short stalks and any volunteer corn. Everything had to be uniform for the seed/feed corn. (i.e. not the corn you eat)

Reaction Score
Agree. You're never going to see flopping fouls. It's hard to judge mental intent. I'd be satisfied if the refs could just get the calls right. Banks' 3pt foul on OS was barely a touch followed by the flop, had no affect on the shot at all. Unfortunately, it cost BB a chance to participate as Geno pulled her for the night.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The tape review could have shown the refs something hard for them to see at regular speed - I thought it was a classic elbow swing clock when I first saw it... but, i do believe they CANNOT wave off the foul via video. They can only NOT call a flagrant 1/2. But, they can "learn" from what they see....

That's interesting if true. I am fairly sure that can use the monitor to identify the player - not relevant in this case, but I've seen situations where they identified the wrong player, and changed it after review. Interesting if they are unable to overturn a foul call, but understandable - if they could, they'd be yelled at to review the monitor on half their calls.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They cannot wave off the foul. They can check to distribute it properly and they can check for flagrancy.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Maybe I've got my blue specs on, but when they called KML for the foul and went to the monitor, I was hoping they would see the defender dropped to the floor without contact. I honestly thought they were going to wave off the foul. It was a great acting job, and not the only one.

Robertson threw her head back as she started to fall, as if there had been contact with her head, but it was only her arms that KML made contact with. It looked to me like acting and not a reflex to avoid being hit, although that is a nicer interpretation.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Dee reffed the Temple game. I personally boo'd her twice during that game and even ThisJustIn made a couple pointed comments on the quality of calls.
Big deal, Nan. You didn't even say hello to me when you walked to your seat. Still I hope Dee reads the Boneyard so she can find out who boo'd her at the Temple game.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Tony, there is no rule requiring the defense to give her space. She is only entitled to verticality, the space above her and to not be fouled by hacking. She is not entitled to space to pivot or anything else. Her option to avoid losing the ball is calling timeout.
I don't think UConn players are allowed to call time out.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I was screaming at the tv to get the ball down low in the paint to Dolson all night long. We never attacked them in the paint with our size down low. I agree with CD, thats something they will have to work on.
Your TV must not be a good passer.

Reaction Score
How does the UCONN post let a 5'11" Baylor player grab 17 rebounds?........Poor awareness and Poor boxing out by the BIGS.....Stef should grab 12 to 15 rebounds a game minimum........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom