Castle on the U | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Castle on the U

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the mid range shot is the worst shot in bball.

I understand in a college game, it is More necessary than the NBA. Also, many PGs utilize the mid range more so as a floater, rather than attacking the rim directly, which makes sense from a pick and roll style game
Yeah, I understand the metrics of it, but to me, the declaration of the demise of the mid range shot is premature. The ability to stop and pull up for a mid range shot is another thing for defenders to be worried about. I know it was another era, but that was Rip Hamilton’s bread and butter (well, that in incessant motion.) now the thing that absolutely kills me is the shot just inside the three-point line. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Neither one is a point guard, so I would guess the probability is rather low.
I haven't watched Castle that much to say he is or isn't a point guard, but what have you seen that would make you say he's not a point guard? Most of the recruiting analysts are saying he's a point guard. In another post a few weeks ago (link below) I linked a bunch of articles where the recruiting analysts were gushing over his point guard skills. Do you think he'd be better off the ball in a kind of secondary point guard role? And then have a more traditional quick smaller ballhandler next to him?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I haven't watched Castle that much to say he is or isn't a point guard, but what have you seen that would make you say he's not a point guard? Most of the recruiting analysts are saying he's a point guard. In another post a few weeks ago (link below) I linked a bunch of articles where the recruiting analysts were gushing over his point guard skills. Do you think he'd be better off the ball in a kind of secondary point guard role? And then have a more traditional quick smaller ballhandler next to him?

“ The first question in the Castle evaluation is whether he is a true point guard at the next level. He plays with the ball in his hands now and has shown a passing acumen, but seemed more natural as the athletic secondary playmaker with size during his stint with USA Basketball.“ Adam Finklestein.

That’s what I see when I watch him. He’s the best player on the floor 99% of the time in high school so he can play point guard or center if he wants - doesn’t translate that well to college hoop.

He’s a terrific player - he’s just not a point guard. Ideally, we’d have one - even tonight, we got a little sketchy when Marquette started to press because our best point guard, Newton, is a big combo. Gonna be an issue until it’s fixed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
“ The first question in the Castle evaluation is whether he is a true point guard at the next level. He plays with the ball in his hands now and has shown a passing acumen, but seemed more natural as the athletic secondary playmaker with size during his stint with USA Basketball.“ Adam Finklestein.

That’s what I see when I watch him. He’s the best player on the floor 99% of the time in high school so he can play point guard or center if he wants - doesn’t translate that well to college hoop.

He’s a terrific player - he’s just not a point guard. Ideally, we’d have one - even tonight, we got a little sketchy when Marquette started to press because our best point guard, Newton, is a big combo. Gonna be an issue until it’s fixed.
What makes someone a true point guard?

Reaction Score
Not sure why Finkelstein wrote this article but figured I'd post it. Has a complete evaluation of Castle that he wrote previously.

With this performance, Newton is the first Husky to ever record two triple-doubles in one season and also the first to record multiple since Shabazz Napier. He has proven himself as a walking triple-double threat each time he steps on the hardwood and while it is unknown if Newton will return to Storrs for his final year of eligibility, Dan Hurley has an McDonald's All-American arriving in Stephon Castle who projects to have the same all-around impact from the point guard position.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not sure why Finkelstein wrote this article but figured I'd post it. Has a complete evaluation of Castle that he wrote previously.

With this performance, Newton is the first Husky to ever record two triple-doubles in one season and also the first to record multiple since Shabazz Napier. He has proven himself as a walking triple-double threat each time he steps on the hardwood and while it is unknown if Newton will return to Storrs for his final year of eligibility, Dan Hurley has an McDonald's All-American arriving in Stephon Castle who projects to have the same all-around impact from the point guard position.

Well I guess we know where Fink thinks he’s playing.

Reaction Score

I hear you..Think he projects as a CG/SG with great handles for college.. PG at next level.. IMO.. His Dad(also his AAU coach) has done an excellent job of getting him comfortable at an early age with the ball in his hands. In HS.. He is so much bigger and stronger than the guards defending him.. He makes it look pretty easy. In college he will be playing vs guys his size. Can he/could he play PG in college?? Of course.

Having said that.. Really glad he's coming to Storrs. Gives Hurley a lot of flexibility at the guard spot next year.

Reaction Score
Any info on a possible castle injury? Just posted an Instagram story with a wrapped hand. Looked like dominant hand thumb injury, hopefully just a sprain

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom