Castle on the U | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Castle on the U

Reaction Score
the mid range shot is the worst shot in bball.

I understand in a college game, it is More necessary than the NBA. Also, many PGs utilize the mid range more so as a floater, rather than attacking the rim directly, which makes sense from a pick and roll style game

UConn example: IMO, Hawkins in the NBA will lose that pull up jumper. He will learn to pump and step sideways to open the 3 again.

the coaches job is to prepare the true NBA prospects for the next level. They will choose to develop a skill set suitable for their future success every time…until the tournament comes and all bets are off. Just win, baby!
Duh its the worse shot, there’s 3 types of shots in basketball lol. But if you can master it like said players, it’s one of the most unique skills.

Reaction Score
Love the way he ran the pick and roll. He saw the whole floor; you can’t help as an off-ball defender or Castle is going to find your man. Was also impressed with his ball handling. After tonight I feel way more comfortable with him running the point. Just need a quick guard to have at our disposal for defensive purposes. A guy like Boum would be a nightmare for Castle to have to guard.

Reaction Score
Can you put Jackson and Castle on the floor together with a bulldog PG like Diarra?
I would say yes. It’s definitely a yes if the PG can shoot. Castle will likely have a hard time guarding quick point guards so it would be great to have a guy like Diarra to do that. But the offense will be run with the ball in Castles hand and having good shooters on the floor will be key. He was making Andre Jackson level passes all game today

Reaction Score
I would say yes. It’s definitely a yes if the PG can shoot. Castle will likely have a hard time guarding quick point guards so it would be great to have a guy like Diarra to do that. But the offense will be run with the ball in Castles hand and having good shooters on the floor will be key. He was making Andre Jackson level passes all game today

I don't think you could play Andre, Diarra and Castle together often. Castle is more like a 30-35% shooter right now. With those 3 + a center, Karaban would be our only elite shooter on the floor... no bueno.

Castle playing PG but guarding SFs is ideal. Gives us some flexibility on the portal... quick little guards who can shoot are a dime a dozen.

Reaction Score
I don't think you could play Andre, Diarra and Castle together often. Castle is more like a 30-35% shooter right now. With those 3 + a center, Karaban would be our only elite shooter on the floor... no bueno.

Castle playing PG but guarding SFs is ideal. Gives us some flexibility on the portal... quick little guards who can shoot are a dime a dozen.
If quick little guards who can shoot are a dime a dozen, why do we always lack them?

Reaction Score
the mid range shot is the worst shot in bball.

I understand in a college game, it is More necessary than the NBA. Also, many PGs utilize the mid range more so as a floater, rather than attacking the rim directly, which makes sense from a pick and roll style game

UConn example: IMO, Hawkins in the NBA will lose that pull up jumper. He will learn to pump and step sideways to open the 3 again.

the coaches job is to prepare the true NBA prospects for the next level. They will choose to develop a skill set suitable for their future success every time…until the tournament comes and all bets are off. Just win, baby!
All they do now is chuck 3s after taking 3 steps or take shots at the rim. Poor product

Reaction Score

Do you think we’ll be able to get a guard, like a Mark Sears type from Bama, to come here? Running a lineup of a small shifty PG, castle, jackson, karaban, clingan would be ideal. I just don’t know what a transfer would think about playing time

The biggest X factor next season is going to be Jackson’s scoring ability. We need him to develop something to put the ball in the hoop. He can do everything else already, but if he can add that to his arsenal he’ll be insane

Reaction Score
If quick little guards who can shoot are a dime a dozen, why do we always lack them?

We don't recruit them (and probably should). Or maybe Joey/Hassan was supposed to be that guy. Idk.

Reaction Score
Do you think we’ll be able to get a guard, like a Mark Sears type from Bama, to come here? Running a lineup of a small shifty PG, castle, jackson, karaban, clingan would be ideal.

The biggest X factor next season is going to be Jackson’s scoring ability. We need him to develop something to put the ball in the hoop. He can do everything else already, but if he can add that to his arsenal he’ll be insane

Mark Sears-type would be perfect for this team next year. Might be a tough sell with Newton at the 1, but we need it.

Reaction Score
They are great shots for some players, Pg, Kawhi, KD, Chris Paul etc. Obviously those are stars, but those players make a living in the mid range. If you have that to your game, you’re virtually impossible to stop.
I saw stats last week that showed the top 10 midrange shooters in the NBA. They are pretty much all superstars. It’s not a coincidence that a number of the best players in the NBA are so well rounded and take the midrange game seriously. It’s also an easy shot to stop and pop from 15 feet if you practice it. Hawkins is figuring that out and starting to nail that pull up jumper with consistency.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's nice to have the midrange jumper in the toolkit. It's not as efficient as a 3 or layup, but that's generally speaking. If there's 2 seconds on the shot clock and you take a 3 with a defender right in your face because he knows you're going to shoot it, that's not an efficient shot. Same thing if you drive it into the paint and the help defender comes over and you're trying to hit a layup over 2 guys. Sometimes the efficient shot isn't available; the defense knows you're trying to get an open 3 or layup, and they're designed to try to take that away. On some possessions, a wide-open midrange jumper isn't a bad shot.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What's probability of Castle learning enough from Jackson in one year on how to be a facilitator without dominating the ball as a PG?

Neither one is a point guard, so I would guess the probability is rather low.

caw

Reaction Score

From the highlights, it appears he really makes himself small when he needs to and big when he needs to.

I mean he gets low with his dribble as opposed to say Jackson or Newton who have pretty high dribbles (matching their stature) but also makes himself big on the boards and when near the rim.

Reaction Score
Mark Sears-type would be perfect for this team next year. Might be a tough sell with Newton at the 1, but we need it.
I thought Newton was supposed to be just a 1 year rental. I know he has another year of eligibility, but didn't think he was planning on using it.

Reaction Score
I thought Newton was supposed to be just a 1 year rental. I know he has another year of eligibility, but didn't think he was planning on using it.

I think he's probably gone unless he wants the Master's degree. Just an example. Newton gone would obviously necessitate recruiting a PG in the portal no matter what

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom