Caroline out for the season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this is absolutely the best decision for her. Her health has got to be the priority and trying to come back before a full resolution of her injuries is not the smart play.

Reaction Score
Seems like clearly the right move, will be able to maintain her eligibility from this season as well. Best case scenario we get two more seasons of a healthy CD starting in 2024-25.

Reaction Score
This was expected, and I’m happy she‘ll be able to concentrate on healing.
Best wishes to you Caroline!!

Reaction Score
This wasn't a surprise, but I'm glad that she's putting her health and well-being first. Best wishes to Caroline.
So nobody's surprised, nobody, saying. "suck it up Caroline. get it together'". It should not have come down to this. IMHO her vulnerability was apparent for all of us to see. Hopefully she can now heal and begin a meaningful rehabilitation, without time constraints.

Reaction Score
Call it what you will, (bad luck, bad mojo) but humans aren't machines and stuff happens. Went through four years of few significant (no season ending) injuries during the four straight NCAA championships. Some of the Huskies' opponents went through injury issues during those years. ND comes to mind. UConn had a rash of injuries in the early 2000's with Shea and Sveta. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason for it and there is no panacea to prevent it.

Reaction Score
Call it what you will, (bad luck, bad mojo) but humans aren't machines and stuff happens. Went through four years of few significant (no season ending) injuries during the four straight NCAA championships. Some of the Huskies' opponents went through injury issues during those years. ND comes to mind. UConn had a rash of injuries in the early 2000's with Shea and Sveta. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason for it and there is no panacea to prevent it.
I have to disagree. Early 2000s, was more than 2 decades ago. Training, health, etc has changed dramatically. Do I think it's a conspiracy?
No, but calling it "bad luck, mojo etc, is not a reasonable explanation.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. Early 2000s, was more than 2 decades ago. Training, health, etc has changed dramatically. Do I think it's a conspiracy?
It's not unique to UConn. Remember a few years ago when ND lost 4 players to ACL injuries in one season? Look around WCBB... knee injuries abound. Geno thinks it has to do with the amount of stress from playing too much/year round which is where I'd put my money since that is the one thing that apparently has changed relatively recently in the women's game.

sun

Reaction Score
Redshirting due to ongoing concussion symptoms must be a first for the UConn program.
I guess that means Carol is making the team's history book.
I hope that she can complete her BB career without needing to apply for a 6th year medical hardship waiver.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the next few months look like for her. Does she not touch a ball until September? Is she away from the team? Anyways wishing the best for her. One of my favorite players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agreed. And people don't like to hear this. But this is beyond "bad luck" (even if there is such a thing). And "mojo", sure we have fun with it, but then there would really have to be basketball gods out there interfering in women's college basketball. And if you actually believe that, hmmmm.

So yes, there is something going on. And I hope UCONN looks into it. If the "best practices" aren't working for you, better look around. Or at least question the "best practices". It's gotta be something, it ain't nothing.

Reaction Score
So yes, there is something going on. And I hope UCONN looks into it. If the "best practices" aren't working for you, better look around. Or at least question the "best practices". It's gotta be something, it ain't nothing.
Geno has already stated that they have made changes. What more do you want them to do? No one can predict where and when an injury can happen. A friend of mine (who was in her early 20s!) stepped off a curb wrong one time. Broke her leg and ankle in multiple spots and had to have steel pins put in. Now factor in just simply playing the game of basketball.

Say for example, you're defending the basket and a player comes crashing into you while trying to drive to the basket/score a foul. Say you're stepping up to take a shot and you land wrong. It can and does happen all the time. Hell, even in sports were people wear lots of protective equipment there's still so many injuries -- look at how the NFL has been absolutely PLAGUED with injuries the past few years. And that's professionals! You play sports -- especially contact sports -- and injuries are going to happen.

Some get lucky and rarely if ever suffer any kind of injury. Others are not so lucky. Sometimes those who get injured once end up becoming more injury prone (particularly in the same area as the original injury).

The only way to ensure having no basketball injuries would be to stop playing basketball.

Reaction Score
this is beyond "bad luck" (even if there is such a thing).
You don't believe there is any such thing as bad luck? Chance? Happenstance?
How about things beyond ones control?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How is it the school's fault when Caroline was knocked in the head during multiple games? Maybe it was just a coincidence that she was hit so often. And I am guessing that the school was at fault when the flight to the Caymans encountered very bad turbulence, thus resulting in more damage to her neck.
The school or their best practices had nothing to do with Caroline's season ending injuries. You know, the player that this thread was discussing.

Reaction Score
The only way to ensure having no basketball injuries would be to stop playing basketball.

Many times the ACL injuries are non contact. Get it fixed and come back. CD’s problem is more complicated. Sometimes people have issues because it’s passed down or simply bad luck. Remember Casey Cochran? You don‘t want to see that happen again.

Reaction Score
Channel 30 led into a commercial break with something like “another UConn women’s basketball player out for the season”. I was like NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! When they said it was Caroline, I was like well who didn’t already assume that?!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I believe it is for the best. It is better to err on the side of caution. Head injuries are unpredictable. She will have a whole year to get her self healthy. I still believe Caroline's best UConn basketball is ahead of her. I think she will come back for two more years and she will remind everyone why she was recruited to UConn in the first place. In the meantime I hope she has a productive, successful recovery and that she continues to support her Husky teammates as it is obvious that they love her and that she means a lot to them.

Reaction Score
Agreed. And people don't like to hear this. But this is beyond "bad luck" (even if there is such a thing). And "mojo", sure we have fun with it, but then there would really have to be basketball gods out there interfering in women's college basketball. And if you actually believe that, hmmmm.

There are always a few teams that are going to have a run of injuries due simply to the way statistical randomness works. There’s no evidence whatsoever that it has anything to do with training or medical treatment. It bothers me when amateurs, who have no training or knowledge of the issues, make statements like that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You don't believe there is any such thing as bad luck? Chance? Happenstance?
How about things beyond ones control?
Well sure we say luck and chance and happenstance. But really, things happen because of some cause and effect. Fudd's knee didn't go because of "bad luck". It went because of...the way she took off, the way she landed, the way the ligaments twisted, too much torque, not enough muscle, too much muscle, hereditary......something. The point is it was something, not just "bad luck".

And even if one truly believes in bad/good luck that dictates what happens to us, this (the last couple of years) is way beyond "bad luck".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How is it the school's fault when Caroline was knocked in the head during multiple games? Maybe it was just a coincidence that she was hit so often. And I am guessing that the school was at fault when the flight to the Caymans encountered very bad turbulence, thus resulting in more damage to her neck.
The school or their best practices had nothing to do with Caroline's season ending injuries. You know, the player that this thread was discussing.
I don't believe anyone said it was the schools fault. AND, you need to follow the thread when you are replying. (it veers sometimes - well probably more than sometimes) My "best practices" wasn't talking specifically about CFD or her head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom