Caroline on her way back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline on her way back

Reaction Score
There were some Caroline related things I liked about yesterday’s game.

I liked that:
  • Geno let her play for 23 minutes to help her get back into the game flow
  • Caroline was battling for rebounds, not shying away from contact. She had two offensive rebounds! With Dorka and Ice out, she needs to continue playing big
  • She didn’t hesitate to shoot. No, the shots aren’t necessarily falling yet but she’s showing a scoring mentality
  • She had 1 TO in 22 minutes. Pretty good for a kid with limited playing time
I saw progress. Knowing Caroline’s work ethic, it’s just a matter of time before she’s fully back
Thanks for this was out of town visiting family so unable to watch.

Reaction Score
In H.S. Caroline would make that shot. See the YouTube version of
her Championship game against Worcester Academy. It is outstanding!
She is not in H.S. anymore. My point is not whether she can hit from far out, but that she would make more from a few feet closer, as would most anyone.. even Steph Curry!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I totally agree with all you have posted. I've posted, have patience with her, she's too good a BB player not to come back to her talented game play. Have faith.
Totally agree. As long as she’s 100% healthy and incorporated into the flow by March, I’ll be happy.

Reaction Score
The early season injuries/sicknesses are among the worst as the player works all off season to get into great shape and improve their "game" then has to sit out 1 to 2 weeks and start from scratch all over again!

Reaction Score
My one problem with her is that she constantly positions herself several feet behind the 3 point line while "spotting up"... thus making many of her 3 pt attempts longer than they need to be. A small thing, maybe, given the myriad ways she has shown us she can score.
With all due respect I say if she can make them from there to take them from there. Extend the defense and if not comfortable a look inside to a player that may be open for a easy shot. Not many teams are going to defend at that level and a couple from that distance changes the dynamics of the game.
I would never ask a player to take a shot according to the lines on the floor other than the foul line. If your comfortable and open put it up.
We have seen that with Azzi this year with her mid range and to the rim presence where she was labeled long range. So welcomed.

Reaction Score
Ducharme spent the summer rehabbing her hip with no practice and no shooting. Ducharme proved her shooting/scoring last year as a freshman when she was the primary scorer on a team of mostly seniors for a chink of the year, until the effects of her head injury limited her minutes.
Two years ago some had already written Griffin off. Let's have some patience with Ducharme. She is well worth it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have stated it in multiple other threads that discuss Caroline's current status, the fact that she wears kinesio tape on the back of her neck is an indication that she is still not 100%. I am looking forward to the day when she is on the court for multiple games (or practices) when the tape is off. Then her game will become what most of us here want to see.

Reaction Score
With all due respect I say if she can make them from there to take them from there. Extend the defense and if not comfortable a look inside to a player that may be open for a easy shot. Not many teams are going to defend at that level and a couple from that distance changes the dynamics of the game.
I would never ask a player to take a shot according to the lines on the floor other than the foul line. If your comfortable and open put it up.
We have seen that with Azzi this year with her mid range and to the rim presence where she was labeled long range. So welcomed.
The thing is Caroline has NOT been making them from there... not last year and not so far this year (very small sample). Azzi is rarely more than a foot behind the line when she shoots a 3 pointer..... I agree about pull up mid range shots... and of course about going to the rim

Reaction Score
She is not in H.S. anymore. My point is not whether she can hit from far out, but that she would make more from a few feet closer, as would most anyone.. even Steph Curry!
I think most of us are on the same page here. If you shoot from a yard behind the line and you could have taken the shot at the line, then obviously closer is better and you should have stepped closer. The point for the longer shot is sometimes you are not open at the line but are a few feet behind it. The defense has to extend that much farther to cover it.

Now many if not most three point shooters are not good enough that a shot several feet behind the line is still a high enough percentage shot to take. Clark at Iowa shoots way behind the line consistently, largely because defenses won't come out that far to guide her. I am pretty sure Azzi has that ability as well, probably Paige, and maybe with Caroline. Her HS career suggests she can, but her first year 3pt percentage was disappointing. I think she is a much better long-range threat than she showed last year, particularly since she won a few 3pt shooting contests.

If she is not better than a 30% shooter from the line measured over a significant period, then she probably has no business taking shots longer than that. If on the other hand she appears to be upper 30's or lower 40's from the line, then some shots from deeper might be good for her.

Reaction Score
There were some Caroline related things I liked about yesterday’s game.

I liked that:
  • Geno let her play for 23 minutes to help her get back into the game flow
  • Caroline was battling for rebounds, not shying away from contact. She had two offensive rebounds! With Dorka and Ice out, she needs to continue playing big
  • She didn’t hesitate to shoot. No, the shots aren’t necessarily falling yet but she’s showing a scoring mentality
  • She had 1 TO in 22 minutes. Pretty good for a kid with limited playing time
I saw progress. Knowing Caroline’s work ethic, it’s just a matter of time before she’s fully back
Caroline had surgery. She's done well returning to her former form. She'll once again lead the Huskies. This Iowa game isn't over. Fudd isn't over, Lou isn't over. Long season to GROW into.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You are aware the WBCA has a 10 person team right? So what most us are referring to is either the AP 5 person 1st team or 10 person WBCA team. Link is below. Also, I am Not so certain Morrow will be making the AP team. Only Clark and Boston are locks as Haley Jones is not having a great start to the season.

Reaction Score
Caroline can safely play several positions, she is position less but vital going forward. Aren't we Luckey. Griffin has also become interchangeable. These two types of players are the future of basketball in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom