Caroline on her way back | The Boneyard

Caroline on her way back

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There were some Caroline related things I liked about yesterday’s game.

I liked that:
  • Geno let her play for 23 minutes to help her get back into the game flow
  • Caroline was battling for rebounds, not shying away from contact. She had two offensive rebounds! With Dorka and Ice out, she needs to continue playing big
  • She didn’t hesitate to shoot. No, the shots aren’t necessarily falling yet but she’s showing a scoring mentality
  • She had 1 TO in 22 minutes. Pretty good for a kid with limited playing time
I saw progress. Knowing Caroline’s work ethic, it’s just a matter of time before she’s fully back

Reaction Score

I liked that:
  • Caroline was battling for rebounds, not shying away from contact. She had two offensive rebounds! With Dorka and Ice out, she needs to continue playing big
  • She didn’t hesitate to shoot. No, the shots aren’t necessarily falling yet but she’s showing a scoring mentality
I saw progress. Knowing Caroline’s work ethic, it’s just a matter of time before she’s fully back
I totally agree with all you have posted. I've posted, have patience with her, she's too good a BB player not to come back to her talented game play. Have faith.

Reaction Score
Geno said at the end of the Duke game that he had "50-60 points" sitting on the bench. Caroline isn't sitting on the bench, but her production should be reckoned in the teens (on average), so Geno actually has 50-60 points plus maybe another 15. Difference is that the Charmer can play now. We need her defense perhaps as much as more point production.
Is there really any area of this team that's wanting? Amazingly, no. Fasten your seat belts.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt Caroline will be returning to form pretty soon, but sometimes fate and injuries can change your role significantly. Going into the season, I believed she was the presumptive starter at the 3 and would play most of her time there. The main debate was between Lou and Nika as the 5th starter.

Now with both those two having great starts and looking good together, Caroline has likely lost her starting role, but of course can still get quite a few minutes. For the 2-3 positions Aubrey has also emerged showing no decline from the back surgery and looking more comfortable in the offense as a wing, so Caroline could face competition from her as the first wing off the bench.

For now though, Aubrey due to Dorka being out, has to be used a great deal upfront, and Caroline ready or not is the first sub for 1-3 so the sooner she is back to form the better. As Husky Nan pointed out she was battling for rebounds, and with Dorka and Ice out, as much as I prefer a two big lineup going small with Caroline at the 4 will probably get more play.

When Dorka is back, both Caroline and Aubrey can be super-subs, capable of playing 2-4 while bringing entirely different skillsets to the equation. Geno will have a fair amount of flexibility there depending on the situation. We probably won't use a traditional PG or C backup. When Nika sits, Aubrey or Caroline comes in and Azzi moves to the point, and when Dorka sits, Ayanna, Aubrey or Caroline come in and Aaliyah moves to C.

Reaction Score
Geno said at the end of the Duke game that he had "50-60 points" sitting on the bench. Caroline isn't sitting on the bench, but her production should be reckoned in the teens (on average), so Geno actually has 50-60 points plus maybe another 15. Difference is that the Charmer can play now. We need her defense perhaps as much as more point production.
Is there really any area of this team that's wanting? Amazingly, no. Fasten your seat belts.
But where did Geno come up with that 50-60 number? Paige I assume would be 20 of those points.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But where did Geno come up with that 50-60 number? Paige I assume would be 20 of those points.
To fully understand Geno you have to speak Hyperbole. But if you want to take him literally.

Paige. 20PPG + 5 Assists= 25-30 Points
Dorka 10 Points + 10 Rebounds =10-15 points
Caroline 10-15 PPG when healthy
Ice was going to be good for 5 -10 PPG

Reaction Score
I watched the Uconn- Duke replay and came up with this. Nika had 10 assists and that counted with 24 points scored. With her 6 points, that's 30 points she was responsible for. Plus, there was 3 misses on under the basket , so she would have been responsible for 36 points and 3 more assists. I will take that for every game left in the season.GO NIKA! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I love Caroline's aggressive mentality and all out hustle. My one problem with her is that she constantly positions herself several feet behind the 3 point line while "spotting up"... thus making many of her 3 pt attempts longer than they need to be. A small thing, maybe, given the myriad ways she has shown us she can score.

Reaction Score

I liked that:
Agree..
The psychological (mental) took a big leap upward and forward last night... The physical will soon enough catch up..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have no doubt Caroline will be returning to form pretty soon, but sometimes fate and injuries can change your role significantly. Going into the season, I believed she was the presumptive starter at the 3 and would play most of her time there. The main debate was between Lou and Nika as the 5th starter.

Now with both those two having great starts and looking good together, Caroline has likely lost her starting role, but of course can still get quite a few minutes. For the 2-3 positions Aubrey has also emerged showing no decline from the back surgery and looking more comfortable in the offense as a wing, so Caroline could face competition from her as the first wing off the bench.

For now though, Aubrey due to Dorka being out, has to be used a great deal upfront, and Caroline ready or not is the first sub for 1-3 so the sooner she is back to form the better. As Husky Nan pointed out she was battling for rebounds, and with Dorka and Ice out, as much as I prefer a two big lineup going small with Caroline at the 4 will probably get more play.

When Dorka is back, both Caroline and Aubrey can be super-subs, capable of playing 2-4 while bringing entirely different skillsets to the equation. Geno will have a fair amount of flexibility there depending on the situation. We probably won't use a traditional PG or C backup. When Nika sits, Aubrey or Caroline comes in and Azzi moves to the point, and when Dorka sits, Ayanna, Aubrey or Caroline come in and Aaliyah moves to C.
A stat that doesn’t show in the box score is held balls forced. Even when she doesn’t get the rebound , Caroline does force turnovers on tie ups. That’s as good as a rebound to me

Reaction Score
I love Caroline's aggressive mentality and all out hustle. My one problem with her is that she constantly positions herself several feet behind the 3 point line while "spotting up"... thus making many of her 3 pt attempts longer than they need to be. A small thing, maybe, given the myriad ways she has shown us she can score.
I think she does that because of of low release point. Paige and Azzi release much higher. Lou actually start low as well buts gets it up very quickly. Azzi has the quickest release I have ever seen.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I watched the Uconn- Duke replay and came up with this. Nika had 10 assists and that counted with 24 points scored. With her 6 points, that's 30 points she was responsible for. Plus, there was 3 misses on under the basket , so she would have been responsible for 36 points and 3 more assists. I will take that for every game left in the season.GO NIKA! GO HUSKIES!!!
And yet this is a thread about Caroline. Hmm. Head bang:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think she does that because of of low release point. Paige and Azzi release much higher. Lou actually start low as well buts gets it up very quickly. Azzi has the quickest release I have ever seen.
Agreed, Jabstep. I'd also note that Caroline has excellent range on her three-pointers, so that extra foot or two is not a hurdle for her. From several of the videos I've seen of her prep days, she often shot successfully from four, five or even six feet outside the arc.

Remember that Christyn and others had a number of apparent three-pointers changed to twos because a foot was on the line... better for Caroline to do it this way.

Most important is that she regains the confidence that had made her such a three-point threat. The Huskies have lots of weapons in their arsenal. A 100 percent Caroline would be a mighty cool additional option.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You evidently did not see her high school mix tapes. She has range far beyond the three-point line. See the deacon's post above. Sorry deacon, was typing my post as yours was coming in.

Reaction Score
You evidently did not see her high school mix tapes. She has range far beyond the three-point line. See the deacon's post above. Sorry deacon, was typing my post as yours was coming in.
yeah, like mix tapes are true barometers of anything.....do they ever show missed shots??? And I don't care what she used to do... her 3 pt shooting was not good last year and hasn't been good this year (yet-- i know she is just getting back in the groove.) Just because she can make from 25 feet (or at least used to) doesn't mean she wouldn't make a higher percentage from closer in. So there! :)

Reaction Score

I'd like Ducharme to get back to herself and then get to a rotation where Aubrey, Lou, and Ducharme are averaging about the same minutes. Save the legs for March.

Reaction Score
When Paige was at the top of her game she was worth 25ppg or more if you include her assists. Same for Caroline when she became the star after Paige’s injury. Both contributed more in points than just their scoring average, when you factor in assists, steals, and rebounds.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A stat that doesn’t show in the box score is held balls forced. Even when she doesn’t get the rebound , Caroline does force turnovers on tie ups. That’s as good as a rebound to me
I believe they get counted as a TO and a steal for the defender if the arrow is pointing the other way. If it stays with the offense it is hard to judge whether it will actually lead to an extra possession eventually.

Reaction Score
In H.S. Caroline would make that shot. See the YouTube version of
her Championship game against Worcester Academy. It is outstanding!

Reaction Score
Maybe on the release point, but in HS she routinely shot from way beyond the three point line and I think she believes a yard or so behind the line is still a very good shot for her and extends the defense further.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In some ways, better. 50% of the time it goes your way. When not it at least slows the other teams attack and pace, and can often be a momentum enhancer and a team and/or personal motivator.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom