Caroline on her way back | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Caroline on her way back

Reaction Score
She's back , finally. At the start of the game she made a 2 point lay-up and I was happy. Then , when Caroline made her first 3 pointer , I jumped up and clapped my hands, finally. She played a great game like games last year and you could see it in her face after each score that she was finally helping her team win. Yes Caroline, you did that and many,many more games ahead. You deserve the best and I pray you won't have anymore setbacks. GO CAROLINE!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Personally, I feel Caroline is a better defender than Aubrey, which is why Geno had Caroline in for the end of the game. Aubrey is more athletic, but Caroline is more disciplined.
No she is not. She is a better Offensive Player. Not better defensively. Not close.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
No she is not. She is a better Offensive Player. Not better defensively. Not close.
Well, Geno disagrees with you. He made a negative comment about Aubrey's defense last press conference. And I believe that's why he took her out fourth quarter.

I remember a game in 2020, her freshman year. There were no fans in the stands, so you could hear the coaches quite clearly. Geno yelled at Aubrey frequently for being out of position. I remember thinking "how could she concentrate with the coach constantly yelling at her."

Reaction Score
Well, Geno disagrees with you. He made a negative comment about Aubrey's defense last press conference. And I believe that's why he took her out fourth quarter.

I remember a game in 2020, her freshman year. There were no fans in the stands, so you could hear the coaches quite clearly. Geno yelled at Aubrey frequently for being out of position. I remember thinking "how could she concentrate with the coach constantly yelling at her."
HE does? HE said Ducharme is the better defensive player? You have the quote?

You are also bringing up frosh year? Or now? I also remember though in the past Geno putting in Aubrey because he said when she comes in she has an impact. And back then she was never much of a scorer.

But we are talking this year, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Caroline's defense. She struggles to keep up with quick guards but she is smart as heck and well coached. You don't see her making stupid errors and her decision making is both quick and good. All plus factors in her game. Often she doesn't block a shot but she makes it more difficult. She also is a solid TEAM defender. Recognizing and covering for others quickly.

Reaction Score
Can’t we just be happy Caroline had a good game?
I am. My post on the post game reflected that. And when I say Ducharme is a greater offensive player - that certainly is darn happy. I'm also loving Griffin's game. So much so she could be a WNBA player. Her Defense is tremendous.

Griffin and Ducharme's games are super but for different reasons.

Maybe the poster shouldn't have pitted them against each other.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
I am. My post on the post game reflected that. And when I say Ducharme is a greater offensive player - that certainly is darn happy. I'm also loving Griffin's game. So much so she could be a WNBA player. Her Defense is tremendous.

Griffin and Ducharme's games are super but for different reasons.

Maybe the poster shouldn't have pitted them against each other.
Maybe we should be more nuanced here, and yes, let's not bring the frosh history in play, but the current status and future potential.

I think both are great both defensively and offensively, but with different skillsets that make them more (or less) effective on either side of the floor, depending on what the opposition is, and what the opposition's playbook is.

Aubrey is more athletic and a disrupter on both sides, Caroline is the better position player and a "sneaker" on both sides. Many hadn't appreciated Aubrey's offensive skills in the past, and also many hadn't appreciated Caroline's defensive skills in the past.

I find that Geno's in-game coaching and adjustments have been very underrated in many circles, including in particular the BY... He correctly figured out in this game that Caroline was the better match on both sides for what Iowa was doing, and played her to the expense of Aubrey for the crucial second part of the third quarter and all of the fourth quarter. We might see the complete opposite in some other game in the future.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice article on Caroline's return and value to this team

“It was great to see her play like that,” Azzi Fudd said. “She’s going to be able to build on this. It’s been great to have her back, but to see her with that confidence, I bet she feels great, just like a weight was lifted off her shoulders to be able to play like her old self again.”

And this is vintage Geno

“We talk about it, the staff, and sometimes we just shake our heads and go, ‘I don’t know what makes her good, but, damn, she’s good,’” Auriemma said. “I still can’t figure out why she’s good, but she’s good. She’s a tough competitor.”

Reaction Score
Maybe we should be more nuanced here, and yes, let's not bring the frosh history in play, but the current status and future potential.

I think both are great both defensively and offensively, but with different skillsets that make them more (or less) effective on either side of the floor, depending on what the opposition is, and what the opposition's playbook is.

Aubrey is more athletic and a disrupter on both sides, Caroline is the better position player and a "sneaker" on both sides. Many hadn't appreciated Aubrey's offensive skills in the past, and also many hadn't appreciated Caroline's defensive skills in the past.

I find that Geno's in-game coaching and adjustments have been very underrated in many circles, including in particular the BY... He correctly figured out in this game that Caroline was the better match on both sides for what Iowa was doing, and played her to the expense of Aubrey for the crucial second part of the third quarter and all of the fourth quarter. We might see the complete opposite in some other game in the future.
Did Geno say he put Caroline in for her Defense? I'd like to read that comment if he said it.

IMO Caroline is a beast offensively. Not just good but great. I don't; share that about her overall defense. But I don't think she is bad/ not good- but I just think Aubrey is great defensively. Aubrey wouldn't have played all these years if not for her Defense. IMO Aubrey is just such an amazing defensive player.

And as far as Caroline - her Offense is imo off the charts in terms of what she showed as a frosh during the stretch. Caroline is amazing as she showed last year during the stretch:

1-- As a frosh, rather than the go-to being seniors or sophomore during the stretch, in which three were WNBA material, she became the go-to player.
2--- Can finish with ease on a break.
3-- Has a mid-range game.
4-- Can post up.
5-- Can beat players off the dribble.
6-- Can hit shots on the move.,
7-- Moves very well off the ball with great instincts.
8-- Because she is such an offensive weapon - can allow others to get free.
9- Can hit shots from anywhere (inside/outside) with someone hanging over her.
10-- Has fearlessness in the moment.
11-- Will eventually become a great 3pt shooter.
12-- When you add up all this, when she is a force offensively, it means the other team has less of an ability to run. Thus she makes the Defense better.

IMO she showed out on nearly all of the above yesterday which is why it was fantastic to see. And its only surface-scratcher. The above 1-12 is why you put in a potential in-the-future 1st team all-American in the game.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

AG had three fouls when Geno took her out. And Caroline came in and did very well. So each game does indeed present different opportunities, and as always, timing is everything.

Reaction Score
And this is vintage Geno

“We talk about it, the staff, and sometimes we just shake our heads and go, ‘I don’t know what makes her good, but, damn, she’s good,’” Auriemma said. “I still can’t figure out why she’s good, but she’s good. She’s a tough competitor.”
We often use the phrase "it-factor" in describing athletes.
There would appear to be many iterations of "it".
Like ingredients in good recipes. 3 chili recipes.. slightly different ingredients/measures used, yet all 3 fantastic, even with 3 different/distinct flavors.
Caroline's it-factor is a combination of different attributes that she possesses. All fueled by and stacked upon, as Geno himself stated, the fact that she's a tough competitor.
Glad to see her back!

Reaction Score
Another compliment to add about Caroline. She’s a player who has the ability offensively to “break open” a game. In the past we’ve seen that attribute in a lot of players on our successful teams.

The most obvious this year is Azzi. She can catch fire almost instantaneously, and hit a couple 3s back to back to blow a game open. Senechal also seems to have that ability, with her shot making skills.

I felt like last year, especially during our major injury stretch, Ducharme was that one player for us. Her shooting was streaky, but she often times would score 8-10 points in a bunch. She once again showed that in the 4th QTR against Iowa, scoring 10.

It makes me really excited to see her working her way back, because I think by year end she will be a huge part of our success. Having 3 players who can catch fire at any moment really keeps defenses honest. I think a big part of the additional success of Edwards and Griffin offensively is the spacing our guards provide to the interior players.

Reaction Score
Caroline is fortunate to play for a coach who has a "keep shooting" rule. Many coaches will bench a player who misses her first several shots. Or they would demand that she passes to other shooters. Geno encourages his shooters not to get discouraged & they will eventually find the range. Yesterday was a prime example with Caroline.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game but from what I am hearing she seems ready to go. This can only make the team better!

Reaction Score
All good news. I think a few more games will allow her to hit her peak conditioning and to break through any lingering stiffness. I did notice a couple of times where she seemed hesitant to bend all the way over for loose balls. She certainly has her confidence and mental toughness in ready mode.

Reaction Score
There were some Caroline related things I liked about yesterday’s game.

I liked that:
  • Geno let her play for 23 minutes to help her get back into the game flow
  • Caroline was battling for rebounds, not shying away from contact. She had two offensive rebounds! With Dorka and Ice out, she needs to continue playing big
  • She didn’t hesitate to shoot. No, the shots aren’t necessarily falling yet but she’s showing a scoring mentality
  • She had 1 TO in 22 minutes. Pretty good for a kid with limited playing time
I saw progress. Knowing Caroline’s work ethic, it’s just a matter of time before she’s fully back
I agree. She looked like she was coming back into form, and father quickly. Se was noticeably better in 4th quarter than in first. A huge addition if she stays healthy.

Reaction Score
And yet this is a thread about Caroline. Hmm. Head bang:rolleyes:
Great news should be welcome anytime and anyplace. Nika had a great game and I wanted to post about it. I'm sure Caroline would not have minded the news about Her Friend Nika,and the 14 likes the post got from The Bone Yard. GO NIKA!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Caroline has skill sets the fit in well with UConn's offense and defense. Obviously her 3 point shooting is big, but, she can take her defender off the dribble and get to the hoop. She moves really well without the ball. Knows how to run her defender off a screen and knows how to set a solid screen. She is tall enough to mix it up with trees for rebounds.

Her defense is good too. She moves well and has long arms. She may not block a lot of shots but she can and does bother the shooter.

She also has that quiet confidence that accompanies a killer instinct come game time.

She can play the 2 the 3 or the 4 slots on any given night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom