Caroline and Tiffany together | The Boneyard

Caroline and Tiffany together

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score

Regarding thoughts about Caroline Doty's presence being one of the keys to a final-four season ... I have a theory that Tiffany Hayes will play better with Caroline on the floor. In addition to the bond of their friendship, I think that Caroline's influence will help Tiffany keep her focus and remain under control. I just seem to remember Tiffany as being a better, more controlled contributor when Caroline was around. I don't know if the statistics would bear me out -- also don't know precisely how to quantify my thoughts statistically. I don't think Tiffany's raw talent has ever been in question, and I am just wondering if having her friend, who is also a leader, on the floor will help Tiffany have an All Americanish season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree totally. CD will have a good effect on Tiff, who will have her best year.

Tiff will compete to get her name on the wall.

She will also try to surpass Maya's record of 150 wins.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Regarding thoughts about Caroline Doty's presence being one of the keys to a final-four season ... I have a theory that Tiffany Hayes will play better with Caroline on the floor. In addition to the bond of their friendship, I think that Caroline's influence will help Tiffany keep her focus and remain under control. I just seem to remember Tiffany as being a better, more controlled contributor when Caroline was around. I don't know if the statistics would bear me out -- also don't know precisely how to quantify my thoughts statistically. I don't think Tiffany's raw talent has ever been in question, and I am just wondering if having her friend, who is also a leader, on the floor will help Tiffany have an All Americanish season.

Totally agree.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

You are spot on, Fair View:

I have commented on this subject numerous times over the past three years ---- sometimes with specific examples, and other times as a broad observation of the ways that Tiffany and CD work together.

Caroline's team leadership will be a big part of UConn's success (or lack thereof) this season.

FWIW -- Caroline is my all time favorite Husky.

KML has made some delightful comments recently about the many contributions that "Grandma" Doty makes to her team. You probably know that KML (like Renee Montgomery) gives nicknames to all the players.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A point guard who can make her teammates better is the most valuable player on the team. She dosnt have to score, she has to be the leader/coach on the floor. Caroline imo is that and she is respected by her teammates. On top of all of that Caroline has confidence. Im hoping shes healthly and close 100%.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
You are spot on, Fair View:

I have commented on this subject numerous times over the past three years ---- sometimes with specific examples, and other times as a broad observation of the ways that Tiffany and CD work together.

Caroline's team leadership will be a big part of UConn's success (or lack thereof) this season.

FWIW -- Caroline is my all time favorite Husky.

KML has made some delightful comments recently about the many contributions that "Grandma" Doty makes to her team. You probably know that KML (like Renee Montgomery) gives nicknames to all the players.
Agreed OC. I'm really hoping that Caroline and Sue B. bond over the next month or two while Sue is in Storrs. Caroline already has said her favorite player is Sue. Could be good karma for us fans and the team.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
A point guard who can make her teammates better is the most valuable player on the team. She dosnt have to score, she has to be the leader/coach on the floor. Caroline imo is that and she is respected by her teammates. On top of all of that Caroline has confidence. Im hoping shes healthly and close 100%.
Absolutely correct Tony.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
In addition to Caroline's overall point guard and leadership ability, I was thinking that her special bond with Tiffany may be an advantage that nobody else could deliver -- from improving Tiffany's decision making, to her confidence to that little extra something we all get when we know we'll help our best buddy and we get in the groove together like no one else can.

Reaction Score
It would be difficult to statistically quantify a noticeable improvement in Tiffany's play with Caroline on the floor. However, if you guys believe it, then why not. I, however, do not believe there is any kind of correlation.

Reaction Score
It would be difficult to statistically quantify a noticeable improvement in Tiffany's play with Caroline on the floor. However, if you guys believe it, then why not. I, however, do not believe there is any kind of correlation.

There is a thing called team chemistry and/or bonding. It's hard to quantify but it's there.

Reaction Score
Tiff needs somebody to take the pressure off her and CD does that this year......This team will be better than last years with 7 or 8 scoring options...........KML, Stef and the return of CD will move UCONN over the hump.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiff and Caroline have a special chemistry, almost like twin sisters. I think they are closer tha Tina and Maya or Sue and Swin.

Reaction Score
Tiff needs somebody to take the pressure off her and CD does that this year......This team will be better than last years with 7 or 8 scoring options...........KML, Stef and the return of CD will move UCONN over the hump.

To be better than last year, this year's team needs to either lose no more than two games, win the Big East regular season and tournament titles, and advance to the Final Four. My feeling is that they will do none of the above and will do well to finish in the Top 10 nationally.

My personal view of the women's college game is that it has been a while since a team won the national championship around just a dominant center. A team has a better chance when the dominant player is a wing, and a much better chance when the dominant player is a guard.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
To be better than last year, this year's team needs to either lose no more than two games, win the Big East regular season and tournament titles, and advance to the Final Four. My feeling is that they will do none of the above and will do well to finish in the Top 10 nationally.

My personal view of the women's college game is that it has been a while since a team won the national championship around just a dominant center. A team has a better chance when the dominant player is a wing, and a much better chance when the dominant player is a guard.
Oh, ye of little faith.

Reaction Score
Oh, ye of little faith.

You're right. Making bold predictions about this year's team is a giant leap of faith. In the previous three seasons, especially the first two of the previous three, predicting undefeated seasons was a a very short leap That encountered very little disagreement.
My concerns:
1. From where will the scoring come?
2. Will UConn be overmatched inside?
3. To whom does UConn look in tight games?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You're right. Making bold predictions about this year's team is a giant leap of faith. In the previous three seasons, especially the first two of the previous three, predicting undefeated seasons was a a very short leap That encountered very little disagreement.
My concerns:
1. From where will the scoring come?
2. Will UConn be overmatched inside?
3. To whom does UConn look in tight games?
All a leap of faith indeed but with the following vouchsafes.

1) All over, we have more scoring potential than in a long time. Inside and out.
2) No Stef proved last year that she was more than capable of matching up inside . A foretaste of the feast to come.
3) This will need to emerge but Geno has always found a player to step up. I expect it to be played inside and out. Stef and KML.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena outscored Maya in high school by a fraction. If there was anyone in the last 3 years that you could choose to replace Maya, it would be Kaleena.

Last year, we were concerned about replacing Tina and Kalana and being too small and too young. The year before, we were worried about who would replace the Lieberman Award PG. Geno will find answers. He has more healthy bodies this year. He's got a group that is talented and hungry. Though we may have concerns, every team other than Baylor has bigger concerns.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
All a leap of faith indeed but with the following vouchsafes.

1) All over, we have more scoring potential than in a long time. Inside and out.
2) No Stef proved last year that she was more than capable of matching up inside . A foretaste of the feast to come.
3) This will need to emerge but Geno has always found a player to step up. I expect it to be played inside and out. Stef and KML.

Ahhhhh, predictions .....

1) We will definitely give opposing coaches more work to do, trying to figure out where our points will come from. We will have more weapons - no doubt. Whether the aggregate is greater than last year's team remains to be seen. Though you are taking Maya out of the mix, I think we probably will be a little higher scoring than last year, just not a *lot* higher. More so by the end of the year, once the frosh have things figured out.
2) Stef proved that she was a greatly improved player by year's end, but here is where losing Maya will hurt the most. Stef is not a naturally gifted rebounder--she has to really work at it, though she has improved a ton. Her fitness is obviously at another level this year, which should help stay strong and aggressive on the boards throughout the game, so she has that going for her. I expect great things. Kelly is obviously a terrific rebounder, but these things do not occur in isolation. They occur partly as a result of who is surrounding you now, vs. in the past. The 4 spot is where the rubber will meet the road for UCONN when it comes to rebounding, with KML's rebounding prowess as an additional bonus/wildcard for us. If the rest of the squad can step it up on the boards, then this will be a boon for Stef. If we are not able to establish another consistent inside presence (besides Stef) on the defensive end by year's end, we will have trouble against other top teams. If we *are* able to establish it, we have as good a shot as anyone at another NC. This to me remains the biggest and most intriguing question mark for this year's team. I think Kiah could develop into this consistent presence we need in tight games at the 4, but as a freshman, who knows what she will be able to do? Obviously MJ and Heather will bear watching as well. Offensively, I think we'll be fine inside with Stef and whoever else can get a few putbacks here or there, because our perimeter game, our in/out game, and our guards' ability to penetrate should be really strong.
3) Stef, and--I bet--Bria.

YMMV, IMHO, yada yada yada , and all that! :cool:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"My feeling is that they will do none of the above and will do well to finish in the Top 10 nationally."

I know it's just your opinion. And sometimes you like to go against the flow. But do you REALLY believe this?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ahhhhh, predictions .....

1) We will definitely give opposing coaches more work to do, trying to figure out where our points will come from. We will have more weapons - no doubt. Whether the aggregate is greater than last year's team remains to be seen.

I have little doubt that we account for the loss of Maya's scoring through an aggregate of sources. Stef, Bria, and KML will all step up which helps keep the pressure off of Tiff who really only needs to maintain. cF's analysis earlier in the year is pretty much spot on I mind mind.

2) Stef proved that she was a greatly improved player by year's end, but here is where losing Maya will hurt the most. Stef is not a naturally gifted rebounder--she has to really work at it, though she has improved a ton. Her fitness is obviously at another level this year, which should help stay strong and aggressive on the boards throughout the game, so she has that going for her.

Here is where I disagree the most. By the end of the year Stef was pulling down a solid 7 rebounds per game in her minutes. On top of that as I have shared in the past one of the most important things Stef does is keeping others off the boards for Kelly and Maya or someone else to sweep up the ball. I expect that Tiff from the 3 to rebound stronger and think that KML and Kia will be excellent on the boards. KML is not Maya, no one is, but she is way better beyond being a shooter than most realize.

3) Stef, and--I bet--Bria.

Yes, Stef and Bria and KML and Tiff and Caroline, and, yes, even Kelly given the observations of her in practice and her comments on recognizing the need to score this year, Stef is a great passer and there will be a capable shooter getting some great open looks or slashing past defenses caught in between and out of position. This team will be incredibly fast on the floor.

YMMV, IMHO, yada yada yada , and all that! :cool:

Huge reasons for an incredibly optimistic outlook. I rarely make predictions, bad mojo, but I feel very confident in these expectations.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
"My feeling is that they will do none of the above and will do well to finish in the Top 10 nationally."

Which ten teams will be ahead of UConn at the end of the year?

Reaction Score

I know it's just your opinion. And sometimes you like to go against the flow. But do you REALLY believe this?

Absolutely!

Maybe this should be addressed in another thread(or I can just repeat it), but I have UConn losing to Baylor, Stanford, Texas A & M, Notre Dame(Twice), Duke, and Georgetown; with very tough, losable games to North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rutgers, St. John's, and Syracuse.

What has always set UConn apart is the presence of at least one player of transcendent dominance. Stefanie Dolson is excellent in the post, but she will need help inside, especially on the defensive end. I do not see that help on the current roster. If, as other posters have predicted, UConn's more diverse offense is able to put points on the board, then they will have a very good season. Will they put more points on the board? Again, I do not see it. Maya Moore will, obvioulsy, be difficult to replace; She had transcendent abilities on both ends. More importantly, IMO, are that the points she put up were consistent, given the records set in double figure scoring, and, that she did so shooting better than 50%. The diverse offense, to which most posters have alluded, appear to be coming from the perimeter in the persons of KML, Tiffany, Caroline, Bria, and Kelly. Does anyone here see anyone individually, or, see this group collectively shooting anywhere close to 50%? The lower shooting percentage will translate to more rebounds, more rebounds will lead to more opponent possesions, which means that UConn will have to defend better than they have had to in a while. Will UConn be better defensively without Maya? Will UConn be better on the boards without Maya? We are already aware of how important it will be for Stefanie to stay out of foul trouble? Opponents will know that as well.

This year's UConn team will definitely be a different team that is likely to try the patience of its fans.

Reaction Score

Which ten teams will be ahead of UConn at the end of the year?

Since I have UConn doing well to make the Elite Eight, doing so would be a very succesful season IMO. Not making the Elite Eight will then depend on the good graces of the post season pollsters to finish in the Top 10. My prognostication was not based upon ten other teams being better, but on their performance in the NCAA Tournament.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Absolutely!

Maybe this should be addressed in another thread(or I can just repeat it), but I have UConn losing to Baylor, Stanford, Texas A & M, Notre Dame(Twice), Duke, and Georgetown; with very tough, losable games to North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rutgers, St. John's, and Syracuse.

This year's UConn team will definitely be a different team that is likely to try the patience of its fans.

That simply isn't going to happen, VAUC. What you are suggesting is that this team performs worse than the 2004-5 team that went 25-8 (the freshman year for Swanier, Thomas and Houston). That team had no experienced Point Guard which was the central problem all season and was weaker in the post with Moore and Crockett than this team with Dolson and Stokes. The five most frequent starters were Strother, Moore, Wolff, Turner and Valley. I will take Doty or Banks, Hartley, Hayes or Mosqueda-Lewis, Faris and Dolson over that lineup any day for a better record. No way this team is near losing 10 or even 5. As to Stef and foul trouble, teams knew that all last year a few teams managed to do it to her at all including the last ND game where the officials completely went nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom