Caroline and Tiffany together | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Caroline and Tiffany together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Defense is effort and design. Maya was great. With 9 players rotating, it will be BETTER this year.
Last year some were devaluing Maya's ability as a defender.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Last year some were devaluing Maya's ability as a defender.

--while others were simply pointing out Maya's relative strengths and weaknesses on the defensive side of the basketball. As would be expected, these relative s&w became more clearly outlined against the heightened level of competition in the WNBA as different matchups presented Maya with different challenges from game to game.

Reaction Score
You can't compare pro teams with college teams that ALL lose players and restock every year.

And while UConn did lose the best player they gained the best freshman. It does offset that some.

How about we just focus on specific team matchups.

You stated that UNC would beat UConn. Who are their starting 5? top 3 off the bench?

And how are they better than Dolson, Faris, Hartley, Hayes and Doty with KML, Stokes, Banks, Buck, Johnson and Engeln.

1. There is a world of difference between Maya Moore and an incoming freshman. It may eventually offset, but not right away.
2. I stated that Carolina would be a tough, losable game for UConn.
3. If the better team always won, there would be no need to play the games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I stated that Carolina would be a tough, losable game for UConn.

You do realize that Carolina was picked to finish 6th in the ACC, right? As bad as Carolina was last year, it will be much worse this year. The only reason Carolina will have a record above .500 is because its early OOC schedule is embarrassingly weak. If UConn wins by less than 20 points, it will count as an upset.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You do realize that Carolina was picked to finish 6th in the ACC, right? As bad as Carolina was last year, it will be much worse this year. The only reason Carolina will have a record above .500 is because its early OOC schedule is embarrassingly weak. If UConn wins by less than 20 points, it will count as an upset.
doesn't matter Cat - for some the glass is always practically empty. i'm not sure if i've EVER seen anyone predict up to 12 regular season losses for a UCONN team - what's the opposite of fantasyland? :)

clearly he's not going to change his tune. his 7 "for sure" losses along with the 5 "possible" losses makes any other opinions on the subject worthless.

the season hasn't started. it's "wide open". i guess i'll throw out there - i think Providence wins the NC. hey - that's about as likely as his "predictions"...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
1. There is a world of difference between Maya Moore and an incoming freshman. It may eventually offset, but not right away.

I said "somewhat" offset her. I know there is a difference between Moore and KML

Yes you did. But you haven't said why ONCE.

Very true. But, can you PLEASE give me some reasons why you think UNC will be a tough losable game for UCONN. Some analysis. Any analysis.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
doesn't matter Cat - for some the glass is always practically empty. i'm not sure if i've EVER seen anyone predict up to 12 regular season losses for a UCONN team - what's the opposite of fantasyland? :)

clearly he's not going to change his tune. his 7 "for sure" losses along with the 5 "possible" losses makes any other opinions on the subject worthless.

the season hasn't started. it's "wide open". i guess i'll throw out there - i think Providence wins the NC. hey - that's about as likely as his "predictions"...
He's entitled to his opinion. I'd like him to at least try to support his opinion with facts.

Reaction Score
He's entitled to his opinion. I'd like him to at least try to support his opinion with facts.

Carolina, as they always do, will try to go up and down the floor and score a lot of points.
1. I believe that this year's Carolina team will match up better with UConn.
2. They have considerable size inside with Sheggog and Rolle. They do not have to score a lot of points, but they can keep Stefanie occupied. If they can isolate the imminent mismatches, they can get a number of chippies and/or get someone in foul trouble.
3. I do not think this year's UConn team can stop Carolina from scoring in the 70's. 70 points has been the consensus beat UConn point total; About which I tend to agree.
4. This year's UConn team will have a tougher time keeping pace with Carolina offensively.
5. It will be the most entertaining game of the season for those, like myself, who love offense, a lot of scoring, and a constantly resetting shot clock.
6. We are not that many years removed from a time when Carolina had our number. The player that changed our fortunes has moved on. Carolina, admittedly, does not have superstar power going for it. They have a chance because of the favorable matchup.

For the record, I have said that this is a tough losable game. I have not predicted a Carolina victory.

One would expect counter arguments in the form of individual comparisons. Sometimes, especially in basketball, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. UConn two seasons ago did away with their Final Four opponents, Stanford and Louisville, rather easily. Yet, had a tough go of it against Cal, and took a while to dispatch Arizona State. The game is all about matchups. UConn is not the tough, tough matchup they were the previous four seasons. They have talented players, but opposing coaches scouting UConn will sleep much better this year than in year's past.

BTW: I do not have facts at my disposal with which to make this argument, just opinions. Basketball has been my passion for a long, long time. But I would never have picked NC State to beat Houston, Villanova to beat Georgetown, or UConn last year to win 11 straight. The beauty of this game is that the improbable has often happened.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carolina, as they always do, will try to go up and down the floor and score a lot of points.
2. They have considerable size inside with Sheggog and Rolle. They do not have to score a lot of points, but they can keep Stefanie occupied. If they can isolate the imminent mismatches, they can get a number of chippies and/or get someone in foul trouble.
3. I do not think this year's UConn team can stop Carolina from scoring in the 70's. 70 points has been the consensus beat UConn point total; About which I tend to agree.
4. This year's UConn team will have a tougher time keeping pace with Carolina offensively.
5. It will be the most entertaining game of the season for those, like myself, who love offense, a lot of scoring, and a constantly resetting shot clock.
6. We are not that many years removed from a time when Carolina had our number. The player that changed our fortunes has moved on. Carolina, admittedly, does not have superstar power going for it. They have a chance because of the favorable matchup.

For the record, I have said that this is a tough losable game. I have not predicted a Carolina victory.

Favorable matchup? Here's Carolina's likely starting lineup:

Chay Shegog, C (8.9 ppg) [Backup Rolle likely won't play this year]
Laura Broomfield, F (8 ppg)
Krista Gross, F (4.2 ppg)
She'la White, G (5.5 ppg)
Buckland/Butts/Roundtree, G (Freshmen)

Carolina won't match up favorably against UConn or any other good team. UConn beat Carolina by 26 last year; I'll be surprised if this year's game is even that close. We might see a repeat of the 41-point whoopin' UConn put on Carolina in '09-'10. This will be the worst Carolina team in years.

This game is just not worthy of an analysis.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Favorable matchup? Here's Carolina's likely starting lineup:

Chay Shegog, C (8.9 ppg) [Backup Rolle likely won't play this year]
Laura Broomfield, F (8 ppg)
Krista Gross, F (4.2 ppg)
She'la White, G (5.5 ppg)
Buckland/Butts/Roundtree, G (Freshmen)

Carolina won't match up favorably against UConn or any other good team. UConn beat Carolina by 26 last year; I'll be surprised if this year's game is even that close. We might see a repeat of the 41-point whoopin' UConn put on Carolina in '09-'10. This will be the worst Carolina team in years.

This game is just not worthy of an analysis.
+1
This year's Carolina team is expected by all to be miserable. When was the last time they were expected to be 6th or 7th in the ACC. They simply do not have the goods this year. Sylvia will likely have them out perform expectations because she is a good coach but third or fourth in the ACC will be over performing. It may be just as unlikely they don't make the last dance.

VAU, respectfully, you simply are way off on your assessment of both UNC and UConn this year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Very true. They will try to do that. Without their starting backcourt from last year, why do you think they will be successful?

In what way?

2. They have considerable size inside with Sheggog and Rolle.

As someone else mentioned Rolle is out having a baby and won't be back for the UConn game. She might redshirt.

They do not have to score a lot of points, but they can keep Stefanie occupied.

So, now it's Sheggog vs Dolson. I'll put my moneyon Dolson in this matchup. And UConn has at least other players over 6'2". UNC does not. So how will they keep Dolson occupied?

If they can isolate the imminent mismatches, they can get a number of chippies and/or get someone in foul trouble.

As I said, WHAT mismatches?

They lost their starting backcourt and their best frontcourt player. How will they ever score in the 70's if they couldn't do it last year?

As I stated above, no way. How will they stop UConn? UNC is not known for it's defense.

Entertaining if you like a 30-40 point UConn win. UNC is seriously in a rebuilding mode.

Please explain what is favorable for UNC in this matchup.

I tried to only post questions. Thanks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

There is no way possible that UCONN will lose to UNC.. NONE.

UCONN might lose 4 games this year. But UNC wont be one of them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. Baylor lost three games last year. I'm sold.
2. Stanford will be fine without Pederson and Pohlen; and they will end UConn's gaudy home winning streak.
3. Adams and Colson are, indeed, huge losses for A & M. However, I liked the way we matched up against them last year. This year with a solid Bone in the middle, the matchup concerns me. UConn reminds me of my high school team - a 6-5 center and four players hovering around 6 foot. I do not like this matchup for reasons similar to the matchup with Stanford.
4. Notre Dame won the last game, the most important game, and for that reason, own the advantage. I also believe Notre Dame will be just fine without the 9 points and 5 rebounds per game Becca Bruszewski contributed last season.
5. A retooled Duke without the two Thomases and Karima Christmas should beat UConn at Cameron this year. My sole reasoning being that Duke's defense. Without Maya Moore to negate it, UConn will not be able to score enough points.
Note: Did UConn not match up better with Duke last year than they did with Georgetown? Yet, which was the better team?
6. Even if two people can match Maya's statistical scoring input, it does not match her statistical impact. It also cannot measure Maya's impact in big games. With few exceptions, Maya showed up in big games. Unless KML and Caroline can score 20 points per game on 50% shooting while commanding constant attention with double teams and junk defenses which frees up their teammates for good scoring opportunities, and, meet or exceed their respective averages in big games against top teams, then 20 points per game will not be enough to beat top teams. Also, Maya showed up in big games. More often than not, she exceeded her averages.
BTW: Caroline's stats against top teams and against my list of tough defensive teams are not exactly stellar. Let us hope that those Boneyarders with extremely high hopes for Caroline are not basing their hopes on sentiment and emotion
7. Last year's team got a lot of good looks becasue Maya was on the floor. Now, if KML proves to be a commanding scorer, then that will certainly free up her teammates and make everyone better.
Impact freshmen in the women's game: Cheryl Miller, Clarissa Davis, Chamique Holdsclaw, Brittany Griner, and Maya Moore. Am I missing anyone? A very short list.
8. A $100 bet on a retiree's pension? There are at least three others(one from a much earlier thread) taking me up on the over/under 7, and I want to be able to pay them all off. I was thinking more in terms of a drink or two(lemonade). However, I like the charity angle, and may revisit the $100 wager for that reason.

Baylor is roughly a 50-50 game. At Baylor, they may be favored. Stef is much better than a year ago, we also have help in the post. Baylor lost Melissa Jones, who was the heart and soul of the team. We could lose, but it's close.

Stanford is very good, especially the O sisters. We're playing at home. Their backcourt is largely untested. I think we'll be favored and win. Pohlen was a majot reason they won last year. She's gone. Pedersen was a matchup problem. She's gone too.

A&M is good, but Adams and Colson are gone. Bone has potential, but she has not played like a kid rate #1 or #2 in her class yet. Stef has at least as mcuh experience and better coaching. I like our depth.

We beat ND 3 out of 4 last year. The loss was largely due to Stef's foul trouble. We have more post depth this year. We also have more athleticism than ND and a potential stopper in Banks. The game in South Bend will be tough. We will not lose in Storrs or Hartford.

Duke could not come within 35 points of us in two tries last year. They are better, but not 35 points better. I think Williams will be a stud, but they are not at our level.

Georgetown cannot handle our interior. We will turn the ball over less. Monica McNutt was their 2nd best and toughest player, and she is gone. It will be a competitive game, but we win, especially at home.

North Carolina is a decent team but a shadow of their former selves. They have lost to us by 30-50 the past few games. They have not closed the gap enough--if at all.

In short, we could lose to Baylor, Stanford, A&M, and ND. I will not be surprised if those 4 teams take a total of 2 games from us. I think we lose 2, maybe 3, of your "certain" losses and 0 of the 5 that you call "possible." UConn has a positive a talent gap with every team on the schedule other than Baylor, A&M, ND, Stanford, and Duke. There is a coaching gap with all but Stanford and maybe ND. The result is that we lose only a few, at most.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well said Mil. i think most UCONN fans echo your thoughts when it comes to predicting wins and losses this year. one other thing is our freshmen. yes i know there are several teams who had really good recruiting classes. but not only did KML get a chance to play with Stef and Bria, but the rest of the team was on campus "early" in that they went to Italy and practiced and played together. IMHO this gives the team an extra month to play together and gel. it's one reason i think Bria and Stef both commented that the current freshies are further ahead than Stef, Bria, Michala and Lauren were last year.

it could mean that our current freshmen hit the "freshman wall" sooner than January-February-ish. it could also mean that our freshmen play more like sophomores especially come March.

Reaction Score
+1
This year's Carolina team is expected by all to be miserable. When was the last time they were expected to be 6th or 7th in the ACC. They simply do not have the goods this year. Sylvia will likely have them out perform expectations because she is a good coach but third or fourth in the ACC will be over performing. It may be just as unlikely they don't make the last dance.

VAU, respectfully, you simply are way off on your assessment of both UNC and UConn this year.
I agree with your thoughts regarding the non-existent possibility of North Carolina beating UConn this year but I do want to say that I definitely don't hold Sylvia Hatch in the same regard that you do. I think this is a down year for their talent but I think she's had a number of teams loaded with talent that have under-acheived. She's not anywhere near the upper tier of women's college basketball coaches, at least not in terms of game coaching. I do feel that she is an outstanding recruiter but a lot might have to do with the aura of North Carolina and their wonderful campus and countryside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom