Caroline and Tiffany together | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Caroline and Tiffany together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Name them.
I phrased that wrong. I did not mean it to say that the teams are more talented, but that there are a greater number of talented teams capable of giving UConn a tough game. As Stanford did last season, one can assume that other teams are already looking ahead in their preparations for UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Losing 7 games would not make this a bad UConn team. It just means that there are more teams out there capable of beating them. As good as the 2002 team was, their schedule was woefully weak. The only team, on paper, capable of beating them was Tennessee. There were no Top 25 teams in the Big East, and their out of conference schedule was tame, lame, and had no game. This year's team is going to be tested early, often, and continously throughout the year.
fair enough. i DO agree that there will be more close games and less blowouts than in recent years. all the teams you mentioned have the chance to be single digit wins for whoever prevails.

but count me among the fans who think that people who predict 7 losses, and as many as 12, feel that people like that are seriously underestimating this team. while they lost a TON in Maya (and Lorin), they bring back a TON of experience in 4 starters, and 8 total players with at least 1 year experience at UCONN. i do agree that they will be relying on their freshmen (not like last year, but relying on them none the less), and questions surrounding caroline and the freshmen are realistic.

i really believe this team is a top 4 team preseason and believe they will be in the final 4. maybe unforseen things will happen this year - team chemistry, other injuries, transfers - who knows. But 7 losses would be the worst UCONN regular season in 18 years. i just don't believe this is the worst team in the past 18 years...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So does anyone really want to bet this UConn team will lose 7 or more games. Please let me in on that.
I've gotta think that the over-under on UConn losses this year is in the 3-4 range.

Think back to each of the past 3 years and how tough the schedule looked. And we lost twice in that span. We turned "Big Monday" into "Big Blowout Monday." Sure Maya was a major factor, but it's Geno's system and there is a lot of talent on that team--as much as anywhere, including Waco, Palo Alto, and South Bend.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The quotes to which I am responding are not appearing in front of me, so this response might not be complete.
1. Any team that plays good, aggressive defense has a chance against UConn, which is why I like Georgetown to beat UConn and for Rutgers, St. John's and Syracuse to be tough games. Georgetown got better in each of last year's three meetings and were scarily close to winning the Sweet 16 game.

As you said, it's all about matchups. And last years team struggled with Georgetown. But UConn went only six deep against a pressing team and it took it's toll. This year, GTown will miss McMutt a terrific yet underrated player. And UConn will counter with the one player press breaker. With all the talk about KML, Banks gets a little lost in the shuffle. Her impact will be immediate and Sugar won't be so sweet after Banks gets in her head.

St. Johns? Decent team but no match for the 2011-12 UConn team. Syracuse? Again, you have to be kidding!

Baylor is very good defensively and they are a better team.

I'm still not sold on Baylor. They will be great but not unbeatable. We'll see who is the better soon enough.

I do not see UConn being able to stop the Ogwumike sisters.

Not good enough. Neither the sisters alone or your analysis on this. Again, you don't comment on the losses of Pederson and Pohlen. The impact HAS to be as big as losing Moore, which you think will turn last year's UConn team into some also ran.

Texas A & M will be playing with the confident swagger of defending national champions.

It's not the same team. Just like UConn is not the same team. Adams and Colson are HUGE losses that again you ignore.

Notre Dame has everything going for them this year and were victorious in the last meeting.

What is "everything"? They lost their big body down low and lost the other 3 times to UConn. Now with different players, has it turned enough to allow ND to win not just once but TWICE against UCONN?

Duke always had defense, just never enough offense. Defense will prevail this year.

Did you see in my post who they lost? I only listed the offensive numbers. So an bad offensive team will be worse. But those 3 players were their best defenders.

2. I cannot predict the scoring averages of the individuals on this year's team. As a team, though, they will score less than last year's team for no other reason than Maya Moore is not on the floor.

Terrible logic. Assuming Doty is healthy enough to play 20 minutes a game, they will have 2 players that will come close to matching Moores scoring. Come on, give it a shot. Doty? 8 points a game? KML? 12? Maybe?

The shooting percentages will take a significant drop for the same reason; They will not get as good a look at the basket as they did when opposing defenses had to account for Maya.

You don't think they will have to account to KML? Doty? This team lead the country in assists last year with 4 starters coming back. I think they will get LOTS of good looks.

Shots, on average, will come later in the shot clock, and there will be fewer transition baskets. My case in point: Diana Taurasi never shot better at UConn than she did in her sophmore year when she was surrounded by a team of future first rounders.

This team will RUN RUN and RUN. And shots, on average, will come at any time in the shot clock as it has for many years. They lead the country in assist most years for a reason. And BTW, Hartley, Dolson, KLM, Hayes are all POSSIBLE future first round picks.

3. Dolson will have to and should improve defensively. Her play is absolutely essential. Georgetown made a point of exploiting her. That cannot happen this season.

GTown is a bad matchup for Dolson. But Dolson should be a bad matchup for GTown. As I said earlier, look for the Bank effect in this game.

4. A wager on 7 losses? Absolutely. Especially a wager about which I would be more than happy to make good. It can be whatever you deem reasonable.

How about $100. Loser donates to the charity of the others choice.

If I'm a little harsh here, I apologize. I'm just passionate about the team.

Reaction Score
fair enough. i DO agree that there will be more close games and less blowouts than in recent years. all the teams you mentioned have the chance to be single digit wins for whoever prevails.

but count me among the fans who think that people who predict 7 losses, and as many as 12, feel that people like that are seriously underestimating this team. while they lost a TON in Maya (and Lorin), they bring back a TON of experience in 4 starters, and 8 total players with at least 1 year experience at UCONN. i do agree that they will be relying on their freshmen (not like last year, but relying on them none the less), and questions surrounding caroline and the freshmen are realistic.

i really believe this team is a top 4 team preseason and believe they will be in the final 4. maybe unforseen things will happen this year - team chemistry, other injuries, transfers - who knows. But 7 losses would be the worst UCONN regular season in 18 years. i just don't believe this is the worst team in the past 18 years...

Alydar finishing second to Affirmed in all three Triple Crown races did not make him a bad race horse. The Buffalo Bills losing in four consecutive Super Bowls did not make them a bad football team. Stanford and LSU in four and five consecutive Final Fours, respectively, without a championship does not mean they were bad basketball teams. Losing 7 games this season would not make this the worst UConn team in 18 years. Sometimes the competition is just better.
Notre Dame lost 8 games last year. Is anyone in South Bend complaining?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Alydar finishing second to Affirmed in all three Triple Crown races did not make him a bad race horse. The Buffalo Bills losing in four consecutive Super Bowls did not make them a bad football team. Stanford and LSU in four and five consecutive Final Fours, respectively, without a championship does not mean they were bad basketball teams. Losing 7 games this season would not make this the worst UConn team in 18 years. Sometimes the competition is just better.
I just don't get it. Not only do you have a serious unestimation of how good UConn is, but you have a serious overinflation of their opponents this year.

Reaction Score
I've gotta think that the over-under on UConn losses this year is in the 3-4 range.

Think back to each of the past 3 years and how tough the schedule looked. And we lost twice in that span. We turned "Big Monday" into "Big Blowout Monday." Sure Maya was a major factor, but it's Geno's system and there is a lot of talent on that team--as much as anywhere, including Waco, Palo Alto, and South Bend.

Take Jordan away from the Bulls, Peyton Manning away from the Colts, Brady away from the Patriots. Maya's impact will be similar. No question UConn is loaded with talent. This year, Coach Auriemma is going to have to figure out a way to win big games without "the" most talented. He has not not had to do it often and did quite well in the years between DT and Maya.

Reaction Score
I just don't get it. Not only do you have a serious unestimation of how good UConn is, but you have a serious overinflation of their opponents this year.

Our concerns will be addressed during the season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well that i just don't buy. Tiff, top 10 recruit in her class. Caroline, top 10. Kelly, top 10. Bria, top 10. Stef shoulda been top 10. KML, #1. so basically you have a team with 6 top 10 recruits on the roster, or at least kids who were in the top 10 in their respective classes.

so no, i wouldn't say the "competition is better". i'd say if you really believe this team will lose 7 for sure, and up to 12 games during the regular season, they would be the worst UCONN team in 18 years, and it's not even close. or debatable for that matter. if this team loses 12 games during the regular season, i guarantee you we will not be in the top 25. and i'm betting the UCONN women have been in the top 25 every single week for at least the past 15 years. so yeah, if you tell me this team will drop from the top 25 and lose potentially 12 games, they would be the worst team in 18 years.

Reaction Score
This has turned into quite a thread. I have almost forgotten that it began with a discussion of Caroline Doty's impact on Tiffany's performance.

Reaction Score
well that i just don't buy. Tiff, top 10 recruit in her class. Caroline, top 10. Kelly, top 10. Bria, top 10. Stef shoulda been top 10. KML, #1. so basically you have a team with 6 top 10 recruits on the roster, or at least kids who were in the top 10 in their respective classes.

so no, i wouldn't say the "competition is better". i'd say if you really believe this team will lose 7 for sure, and up to 12 games during the regular season, they would be the worst UCONN team in 18 years, and it's not even close. or debatable for that matter. if this team loses 12 games during the regular season, i guarantee you we will not be in the top 25. and i'm betting the UCONN women have been in the top 25 every single week for at least the past 15 years. so yeah, if you tell me this team will drop from the top 25 and lose potentially 12 games, they would be the worst team in 18 years.

As mentioned earlier, Notre Dame lost 8 games and they finished #2. The UConn men were seeded 9th in the Big East Tournament. If UConn loses its games to ranked teams, then they will remain ranked in the Top 25. If UConn wins two NCAA Tournamant games, then they will finish the season ranked in the Top 25. Do not become overly concerned with numbers of losses. This is not BCS Football. There is no potential shame in losing to Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Take Jordan away from the Bulls, Peyton Manning away from the Colts, Brady away from the Patriots. Maya's impact will be similar. No question UConn is loaded with talent. This year, Coach Auriemma is going to have to figure out a way to win big games without "the" most talented. He has not not had to do it often and did quite well in the years between DT and Maya.
You can't compare pro teams with college teams that ALL lose players and restock every year.

And while UConn did lose the best player they gained the best freshman. It does offset that some.

How about we just focus on specific team matchups.

You stated that UNC would beat UConn. Who are their starting 5? top 3 off the bench?

And how are they better than Dolson, Faris, Hartley, Hayes and Doty with KML, Stokes, Banks, Buck, Johnson and Engeln.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This has turned into quite a thread. I have almost forgotten that it began with a discussion of Caroline Doty's impact on Tiffany's performance.
It did???.....lol.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
As mentioned earlier, Notre Dame lost 8 games and they finished #2. The UConn men were seeded 9th in the Big East Tournament. If UConn loses its games to ranked teams, then they will remain ranked in the Top 25. If UConn wins two NCAA Tournamant games, then they will finish the season ranked in the Top 25. Do not become overly concerned with numbers of losses. This is not BCS Football. There is no potential shame in losing to Baylor, Stanford, and Notre Dame.
There is no shame in losing to most of the teams you mentioned, well except for Syracuse.

How about we discuss Stanford specifically. You said that UConn can't beat the O sisters. But it takes a team and without Pohlen's 31 points last year, you think Stanford wins? So who replaces her output and Pederson's solid stats?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There is no shame in losing to most of the teams you mentioned, well except for Syracuse.

How about we discuss Stanford specifically. You said that UConn can't beat the O sisters. But it takes a team and without Pohlen's 31 points last year, you think Stanford wins? So who replaces her output and Pederson's solid stats?

How 'bout we wait until right before the Stanford game to discuss the game, match-ups, etc. Like everyone else I'm excited for some of these big games to happen but I think discussions of the games are always more fruitful when done in separate thread right before the game. Just an idea.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
post 68 in this thread. 3 more to go to be the 4th largest thread.

71 then 81, then 91, and on to 127 and 1st place!!!

Reaction Score
If I'm a little harsh here, I apologize. I'm just passionate about the team.
1. Baylor lost three games last year. I'm sold.
2. Stanford will be fine without Pederson and Pohlen; and they will end UConn's gaudy home winning streak.
3. Adams and Colson are, indeed, huge losses for A & M. However, I liked the way we matched up against them last year. This year with a solid Bone in the middle, the matchup concerns me. UConn reminds me of my high school team - a 6-5 center and four players hovering around 6 foot. I do not like this matchup for reasons similar to the matchup with Stanford.
4. Notre Dame won the last game, the most important game, and for that reason, own the advantage. I also believe Notre Dame will be just fine without the 9 points and 5 rebounds per game Becca Bruszewski contributed last season.
5. A retooled Duke without the two Thomases and Karima Christmas should beat UConn at Cameron this year. My sole reasoning being that Duke's defense. Without Maya Moore to negate it, UConn will not be able to score enough points.
Note: Did UConn not match up better with Duke last year than they did with Georgetown? Yet, which was the better team?
6. Even if two people can match Maya's statistical scoring input, it does not match her statistical impact. It also cannot measure Maya's impact in big games. With few exceptions, Maya showed up in big games. Unless KML and Caroline can score 20 points per game on 50% shooting while commanding constant attention with double teams and junk defenses which frees up their teammates for good scoring opportunities, and, meet or exceed their respective averages in big games against top teams, then 20 points per game will not be enough to beat top teams. Also, Maya showed up in big games. More often than not, she exceeded her averages.
BTW: Caroline's stats against top teams and against my list of tough defensive teams are not exactly stellar. Let us hope that those Boneyarders with extremely high hopes for Caroline are not basing their hopes on sentiment and emotion
7. Last year's team got a lot of good looks becasue Maya was on the floor. Now, if KML proves to be a commanding scorer, then that will certainly free up her teammates and make everyone better.
Impact freshmen in the women's game: Cheryl Miller, Clarissa Davis, Chamique Holdsclaw, Brittany Griner, and Maya Moore. Am I missing anyone? A very short list.
8. A $100 bet on a retiree's pension? There are at least three others(one from a much earlier thread) taking me up on the over/under 7, and I want to be able to pay them all off. I was thinking more in terms of a drink or two(lemonade). However, I like the charity angle, and may revisit the $100 wager for that reason.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
So as I was saying, I think that Caroline and Tiffany have a special chemistry that will help Tiffany deliver to her potential and more consistently.

Reaction Score
How 'bout we wait until right before the Stanford game to discuss the game, match-ups, etc. Like everyone else I'm excited for some of these big games to happen but I think discussions of the games are always more fruitful when done in separate thread right before the game. Just an idea.

A great idea. Still, no matter, how much we discuss the Stanford matchups here, there will be plenty to discuss come game time. However, I vow not discuss Stanford any further on this thread.

Reaction Score
So as I was saying, I think that Caroline and Tiffany have a special chemistry that will help Tiffany deliver to her potential and more consistently.

Let's hope so. Let's get Caroline on the floor and let everything else work its way out. Tiffany, the team, and all the UConn fans will feel a special chemistry seeing Caroline out on the floor.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
5. A retooled Duke without the two Thomases and Karima Christmas should beat UConn at Cameron this year. My sole reasoning being that Duke's defense. Without Maya Moore to negate it, UConn will not be able to score enough points.
Note: Did UConn not match up better with Duke last year than they did with Georgetown? Yet, which was the better team?

Honestly, I don't get your comments about Duke's defense. UConn shredded Duke's defense in both match-ups last year. I was at the game in Philadelphia and Duke's interior defense parted like the Red Sea whenever UConn took the ball in to the lane. I watched as UConn repeatedly beat the Duke players down the court. You spend a lot of time talking about other teams' defense when in fact it is UConn's defense that has been among the toughest to score on year after year.

I don't agree with the rest of what you wrote but I've grown weary with this subject. I'll look forward to the games.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't get your comments about Duke's defense. UConn shredded Duke's defense in both match-ups last year. I was at the game in Philadelphia and Duke's interior defense parted like the Red Sea whenever UConn took the ball in to the lane. I watched as UConn repeatedly beat the Duke players down the court. You spend a lot of time talking about other teams' defense when in fact it is UConn's defense that has been among the toughest to score on year after year.

I don't agree with the rest of what you wrote but I've grown weary with this subject. I'll look forward to the games.

I do not disagree. Last year we had the great defense equalizer, a scoring phenom that is now playing for the Minnesota Lynx.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I do not disagree. Last year we had the great defense equalizer, a scoring phenom that is now playing for the Minnesota Lynx.

Defense is effort and design. Maya was great. With 9 players rotating, it will be BETTER this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom