Caroline and Tiffany together | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline and Tiffany together

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Absolutely!

Maybe this should be addressed in another thread(or I can just repeat it), but I have UConn losing to Baylor, Stanford, Texas A & M, Notre Dame(Twice), Duke, and Georgetown; with very tough, losable games to North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rutgers, St. John's, and Syracuse.

Wow. 7 losses for sure. 5 other possible losses.

I could go into details about each team (Stanford lost more player contributions than UConn, RU just lost Lee, A&M lost more as well), but suficit to say, I couldn't disagree more. Syracuse?

What has always set UConn apart is the presence of at least one player of transcendent dominance.

This is very true. But there is a big difference in going from dominating to losing 7-12 games.

Stefanie Dolson is excellent in the post, but she will need help inside, especially on the defensive end. I do not see that help on the current roster.

You don't think that she will get help from the other players? What kind of help will she need? Guarding the post? You have ZERO faith in Stokes, Buck and Johnson. We disagree here.

If, as other posters have predicted, UConn's more diverse offense is able to put points on the board, then they will have a very good season. Will they put more points on the board? Again, I do not see it.

Can you list the scoring averages this team will have by player? I don't think even you can slant it negatively enough to have them score less than last years team.

Maya Moore will, obvioulsy, be difficult to replace; She had transcendent abilities on both ends. More importantly, IMO, are that the points she put up were consistent, given the records set in double figure scoring, and, that she did so shooting better than 50%.

No doubt about it.

The diverse offense, to which most posters have alluded, appear to be coming from the perimeter in the persons of KML, Tiffany, Caroline, Bria, and Kelly. Does anyone here see anyone individually, or, see this group collectively shooting anywhere close to 50%?

The returning players shot 48% last year. Even minus Moores 52% and Walkers 57% in limited games. The team shot 49%.

The lower shooting percentage will translate to more rebounds, more rebounds will lead to more opponent possesions, which means that UConn will have to defend better than they have had to in a while.

Even if they drop as a team from 49% to 47% shooting, base on last years number of shots, it means only 1.4 more rebounding opportunities per game. And UConn dominated on the boards. Even if you make it a 50/50 chance that UConn gets the board, it's only at worst one more possession a game for the opposition.

Will UConn be better defensively without Maya?

I think they will be. Moore,while spectacular at times defensively, was not the best defender fundamentally. With more players available comes more defensive pressure. And the added quickness for Dolson makes her more of a force in the middle.

Will UConn be better on the boards without Maya?

Not sure here. The addition of Stokes is a wild card. She is really college ready rebounding wise. And KML is a solid rebounder as well. I'd bet that between the increase in boards from Buck, and the addition of Stokes and KML, they will come close to matching Moore's numbers.

We are already aware of how important it will be for Stefanie to stay out of foul trouble? Opponents will know that as well.

And they didn't know this last year? This year she will have some backups with Buck and Stokes. Yes, I'm optomistic about that.

This year's UConn team will definitely be a different team that is likely to try the patience of its fans.

Growing pains will occur. But would you like to wager on 7-12 losses?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
The diverse offense, to which most posters have alluded, appear to be coming from the perimeter in the persons of KML, Tiffany, Caroline, Bria, and Kelly. Does anyone here see anyone individually, or, see this group collectively shooting anywhere close to 50%?

The beauty of having more options is that you don't need everyone to be hot every night. So even if they each shoot 42% for the year, each just needs to have hot nights where it's their turn for things to fall. And if that is the case, it makes it harder for opposing teams to plan the player they need to key on. If there's a wager on the 7-12 losses, I'll take some of that action on the "no way" side of the equation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Absolutely!

Maybe this should be addressed in another thread(or I can just repeat it), but I have UConn losing to Baylor, Stanford, Texas A & M, Notre Dame(Twice), Duke, and Georgetown; with very tough, losable games to North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rutgers, St. John's, and Syracuse.

I read stuff like this and it's very difficult to take what you say seriously. But, hey, I'll play along and accept it at face value. So, I'm interested in your analysis of the above list of teams, their talent level, why they will have fewer questions entering the season than UConn and why they will or could beat UConn. We can skip Baylor and Notre Dame as we've discussed those teams at length in other threads and we know those games will be tough. I am interested in your analysis of the other teams.

BTW, I think you forgot Louisville on your list.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I read stuff like this and it's very difficult to take what you say seriously. But, hey, I'll play along and accept it at face value. So, I'm interested in your analysis of the above list of teams, their talent level, why they will have fewer questions entering the season than UConn and why they will or could beat UConn. We can skip Baylor and Notre Dame as we've discussed those teams at length in other threads and we know those games will be tough.
He's also on the Stanford bandwagon. In another thread,I seem to remember him poo-pooing the loss of Pederson and Pohlen.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
You're right. Making bold predictions about this year's team is a giant leap of faith. In the previous three seasons, especially the first two of the previous three, predicting undefeated seasons was a a very short leap That encountered very little disagreement.
My concerns:
1. From where will the scoring come?
2. Will UConn be overmatched inside?
3. To whom does UConn look in tight games?
1. Many players, led by Stef, Bria and KML.
2. Probably by Baylor... No one else.
3. See #1.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
So does anyone really want to bet this UConn team will lose 7 or more games. Please let me in on that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Doggydaddy wrote:

"I could go into details about each team (Stanford lost more player contributions than UConn, RU just lost Lee, A&M lost more as well), but suficit to say, I couldn't disagree more. Syracuse?"

What you said is just a start. Duke lost a lot more of its points, rebounds and assists to graduation than UConn did. Same is true for North Carolina (picked to finish #6 in the ACC btw). UConn crushed both of those teams last year.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We are doomed! We just won't be the same team. Lucky to be .500 for the upcoming season. We were lucky to replace Rebecca but no way in the world can we replace not one, but two national players of the year, Jen and Kara. How can Geno possibly recruit someone to fill their shoes?

Ooops! Wait. . . I am a clone of Rip Van Winkle and I just awoke from a snooze of a dozen years or so.

What's been happening since I left? Do they still have a wcbb team in Storrs? Are they any good?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Doggydaddy wrote:

"I could go into details about each team (Stanford lost more player contributions than UConn, RU just lost Lee, A&M lost more as well), but suficit to say, I couldn't disagree more. Syracuse?"

What you said is just a start. Duke lost a lot more of its points, rebounds and assists to graduation than UConn did. Same is true for North Carolina (picked to finish #6 in the ACC btw). UConn crushed both of those teams last year.
And Oklahoma lost Robinson.

I swear, this happens every year. The sky-is-falling folks always fail to take into account what other teams lose to graduation, injuries etc.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"I have UConn losing to Baylor, Stanford, Texas A & M, Notre Dame(Twice), Duke, and Georgetown; with very tough, losable games to North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rutgers, St. John's, and Syracuse."

I skipped Baylor (they will be GREAT) and ND (we all know they lost Bruiser but have everyone else back). And I skipped GTown, RU and Syracuse. Maybe I'll do this later.

Stanford – Major Losses – Pohlen, Pederson. Combined 54% of their 3point shots taken, 55% of their 3point shots made, 46% of their assists, 34% of their scoring, 33% of the available minutes, 28% of the steals, 30% of the blocks.

Texas A%M – Major losses- Adams, Colson. Combined 44% of their 3point shots taken, 40% of their 3point shots made, 42% of their assists, 39% of their scoring, 28% of the available minutes, 34% of the steals, 31% of the blocks.

Duke - Major losses- J. Thomas, K. Thomas, Christmas. Combined 41% of their 3point shots taken, 43% of their 3point shots made, 41% of their assists, 46% of their scoring, 43% of the available minutes, 41% of the steals, 56% of the blocks.

North Carolina - Major losses- Lucas, Breland, Degraffenreid. Combined 58% of their 3point shots taken, 63% of their 3point shots made, 55% of their assists, 45% of their scoring, 39% of the available minutes, 45% of the steals, 28% of the blocks.

Oklahoma - Major losses- Robinson, Roethlisberger. Combined 20% of their 3point shots taken, 17% of their 3point shots made, 44% of their assists, 33% of their scoring, 30% of the available minutes, 44% of the steals, 19% of the blocks.

UConn – Major losses – Moore, Dixon. Combined 34% of their 3point shots taken, 32% of their 3point shots made, 35% of their assists, 34% of their scoring, 27% of the available minutes, 35% of the steals, 34% of the blocks.

Not only statistically has UConn been impacted less than these teams, but their incoming players are better than the other teams.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"Not only statistically has UConn been impacted less than these teams, but their incoming players are better than the other teams.

Well done DD and I agree with your bottom line. I was aware of these numbers from looking at the teams' stats, but didn't have them compiled.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well done DD and I agree with your bottom line. I was aware of these numbers from looking at the teams' stats, but didn't have them compiled.
This team has MORE talent than any other team this year. It's all about being mentally tough enough to handle the loss of Moore.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This team has MORE talent than any other team this year. It's all about being mentally tough enough to handle the loss of Moore.

Yep. That's it. That's where Geno comes in. His practices are all about making his team tough enough mentally to make big plays, make big shots and win big games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I read stuff like this and it's very difficult to take what you say seriously. But, hey, I'll play along and accept it at face value. So, I'm interested in your analysis of the above list of teams, their talent level, why they will have fewer questions entering the season than UConn and why they will or could beat UConn. We can skip Baylor and Notre Dame as we've discussed those teams at length in other threads and we know those games will be tough. I am interested in your analysis of the other teams.

BTW, I think you forgot Louisville on your list.
totally agree Cat. look at what everyone else lost as well. UCONN actually brings back 4/5ths of their starting lineup. i get that people have a right to their opinion and a right to agree to disagree, but losing between 7-12 regular season games would put this team as one of the worst in Geno's history. in fact, in his first season he lost 15 games, 13 in his second season, and has NEVER lost more than 11 since then. to even imply that we could have our worst year in the past 25 seasons makes it impossible to take him seriously.

even at the face value of the 7 losses would make this the worst team since 1993 with the exception of the 2003-2004 team, which lost 8 TOTAL games including the BET and the NCAA's in the sweet 16. that means the team had 6 regular season losses.

there are some serious questions about this team this year, but no more so than any other year. there are almost always injured players trying to come back and be healthy. almost always newbies who have lots of potential but are unproven. freshmen who showed promise but who's sophomore "jump" is unknown. etc etc.

on paper, this team has more talent than all but one or two other teams out there. but the games aren't played on paper...

Reaction Score
That simply isn't going to happen, VAUC. What you are suggesting is that this team performs worse than the 2004-5 team that went 25-8 (the freshman year for Swanier, Thomas and Houston). That team had no experienced Point Guard which was the central problem all season and was weaker in the post with Moore and Crockett than this team with Dolson and Stokes. The five most frequent starters were Strother, Moore, Wolff, Turner and Valley. I will take Doty or Banks, Hartley, Hayes or Mosqueda-Lewis, Faris and Dolson over that lineup any day for a better record. No way this team is near losing 10 or even 5. As to Stef and foul trouble, teams knew that all last year a few teams managed to do it to her at all including the last ND game where the officials completely went nuts.

I hope you are right, Icebear, especially about the post play. We have not seen Stokes play at the college level, and we do not know what kind of preparation she had coming out of Iowa. Moore was underrated, but Dolson might be better. Crockett was a consistent big game player in her first two years. However, she was, quite possibly, the strongest and fastest post ever to put on a Husky uniform.

As talented as UConn will be this year, there are many more talented teams on the horizon.

Reaction Score

The quotes to which I am responding are not appearing in front of me, so this response might not be complete.
1. Any team that plays good, aggressive defense has a chance against UConn, which is why I like Georgetown to beat UConn and for Rutgers, St. John's and Syracuse to be tough games. Georgetown got better in each of last year's three meetings and were scarily close to winning the Sweet 16 game. Baylor is very good defensively and they are a better team. I do not see UConn being able to stop the Ogwumike sisters. Texas A & M will be playing with the confident swagger of defending national champions. Notre Dame has everything going for them this year and were victorious in the last meeting. Duke always had defense, just never enough offense. Defense will prevail this year.
2. I cannot predict the scoring averages of the individuals on this year's team. As a team, though, they will score less than last year's team for no other reason than Maya Moore is not on the floor.
The shooting percentages will take a significant drop for the same reason; They will not get as good a look at the basket as they did when opposing defenses had to account for Maya. Shots, on average, will come later in the shot clock, and there will be fewer transition baskets. My case in point: Diana Taurasi never shot better at UConn than she did in her sophmore year when she was surrounded by a team of future first rounders.
3. Dolson will have to and should improve defensively. Her play is absolutely essential. Georgetown made a point of exploiting her. That cannot happen this season.
4. A wager on 7 losses? Absolutely. Especially a wager about which I would be more than happy to make good. It can be whatever you deem reasonable.

Reaction Score

The beauty of having more options is that you don't need everyone to be hot every night. So even if they each shoot 42% for the year, each just needs to have hot nights where it's their turn for things to fall. And if that is the case, it makes it harder for opposing teams to plan the player they need to key on. If there's a wager on the 7-12 losses, I'll take some of that action on the "no way" side of the equation.

You're on. I hope you win.

Reaction Score

BTW, I think you forgot Louisville on your list.[/quote]

I like Louisville, but do not believe they match up well with UConn.

Reaction Score
He's also on the Stanford bandwagon. In another thread,I seem to remember him poo-pooing the loss of Pederson and Pohlen.

I do not believe so, but anything is possible; Especially with my memory.

Reaction Score
So does anyone really want to bet this UConn team will lose 7 or more games. Please let me in on that.

You're on!
I better make a list before I forget. Not that any of you would allow it:).

Reaction Score
"I have UConn losing to Baylor, Stanford, Texas A & M, Notre Dame(Twice), Duke, and Georgetown; with very tough, losable games to North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rutgers, St. John's, and Syracuse."

I skipped Baylor (they will be GREAT) and ND (we all know they lost Bruiser but have everyone else back). And I skipped GTown, RU and Syracuse. Maybe I'll do this later.

Stanford – Major Losses – Pohlen, Pederson. Combined 54% of their 3point shots taken, 55% of their 3point shots made, 46% of their assists, 34% of their scoring, 33% of the available minutes, 28% of the steals, 30% of the blocks.

Texas A%M – Major losses- Adams, Colson. Combined 44% of their 3point shots taken, 40% of their 3point shots made, 42% of their assists, 39% of their scoring, 28% of the available minutes, 34% of the steals, 31% of the blocks.

Duke - Major losses- J. Thomas, K. Thomas, Christmas. Combined 41% of their 3point shots taken, 43% of their 3point shots made, 41% of their assists, 46% of their scoring, 43% of the available minutes, 41% of the steals, 56% of the blocks.

North Carolina - Major losses- Lucas, Breland, Degraffenreid. Combined 58% of their 3point shots taken, 63% of their 3point shots made, 55% of their assists, 45% of their scoring, 39% of the available minutes, 45% of the steals, 28% of the blocks.

Oklahoma - Major losses- Robinson, Roethlisberger. Combined 20% of their 3point shots taken, 17% of their 3point shots made, 44% of their assists, 33% of their scoring, 30% of the available minutes, 44% of the steals, 19% of the blocks.

UConn – Major losses – Moore, Dixon. Combined 34% of their 3point shots taken, 32% of their 3point shots made, 35% of their assists, 34% of their scoring, 27% of the available minutes, 35% of the steals, 34% of the blocks.

Not only statistically has UConn been impacted less than these teams, but their incoming players are better than the other teams.

Basketball is a game of matchups. Maya Moore was more than just a statistical presence, she was a transcendent force for which there is no statistical accounting. UConn will have trouble scoring against the better defensive teams.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The quotes to which I am responding are not appearing in front of me, so this response might not be complete.
1. Any team that plays good, aggressive defense has a chance against UConn, which is why I like Georgetown to beat UConn and for Rutgers, St. John's and Syracuse to be tough games. Georgetown got better in each of last year's three meetings and were scarily close to winning the Sweet 16 game. Baylor is very good defensively and they are a better team. I do not see UConn being able to stop the Ogwumike sisters. Texas A & M will be playing with the confident swagger of defending national champions. Notre Dame has everything going for them this year and were victorious in the last meeting. Duke always had defense, just never enough offense. Defense will prevail this year.
2. I cannot predict the scoring averages of the individuals on this year's team. As a team, though, they will score less than last year's team for no other reason than Maya Moore is not on the floor.
The shooting percentages will take a significant drop for the same reason; They will not get as good a look at the basket as they did when opposing defenses had to account for Maya. Shots, on average, will come later in the shot clock, and there will be fewer transition baskets. My case in point: Diana Taurasi never shot better at UConn than she did in her sophmore year when she was surrounded by a team of future first rounders.
3. Dolson will have to and should improve defensively. Her play is absolutely essential. Georgetown made a point of exploiting her. That cannot happen this season.
4. A wager on 7 losses? Absolutely. Especially a wager about which I would be more than happy to make good. It can be whatever you deem reasonable.

After seeing "good, aggressive defense" and "Syracuse" in the same sentence, I stopped reading. Syracuse's best defense is the depth perception in the Carrier dome.

Reaction Score
totally agree Cat. look at what everyone else lost as well. UCONN actually brings back 4/5ths of their starting lineup. i get that people have a right to their opinion and a right to agree to disagree, but losing between 7-12 regular season games would put this team as one of the worst in Geno's history. in fact, in his first season he lost 15 games, 13 in his second season, and has NEVER lost more than 11 since then. to even imply that we could have our worst year in the past 25 seasons makes it impossible to take him seriously.

even at the face value of the 7 losses would make this the worst team since 1993 with the exception of the 2003-2004 team, which lost 8 TOTAL games including the BET and the NCAA's in the sweet 16. that means the team had 6 regular season losses.

there are some serious questions about this team this year, but no more so than any other year. there are almost always injured players trying to come back and be healthy. almost always newbies who have lots of potential but are unproven. freshmen who showed promise but who's sophomore "jump" is unknown. etc etc.

on paper, this team has more talent than all but one or two other teams out there. but the games aren't played on paper...

Losing 7 games would not make this a bad UConn team. It just means that there are more teams out there capable of beating them. As good as the 2002 team was, their schedule was woefully weak. The only team, on paper, capable of beating them was Tennessee. There were no Top 25 teams in the Big East, and their out of conference schedule was tame, lame, and had no game. This year's team is going to be tested early, often, and continously throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom