Carlton | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Carlton

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Have you visited a Kentucky message board lately? Lol
The point being, we’d have been head over heels with many Kentucky commits. Of course they would be nuts on that board but they got what they paid for.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This is about you, not confirming Ollie saw it.
Now you’re moving goalposts. I stated that even early on I saw potential in the kid. You thought that was not possible, and mocked me. i just showed you were wrong about that. The Ollie comment was an aside, not the main argument. But recall, Ollie started him 12 games, and he averaged 14 minutes per game as a lightly recruited freshman, so it’s a little hard to argue that Ollie didn’t see anything in him.

Reaction Score
Now you’re moving goalposts. I stated that even early on I saw potential in the kid. You thought that was not possible, and mocked me. i just showed you were wrong about that. The Ollie comment was an aside, not the main argument. But recall, Ollie started him 12 games, and he averaged 14 minutes per game as a lightly recruited freshman, so it’s a little hard to argue that Ollie didn’t see anything in him.
Actually, the original conversation was about whether Hurley didn't recognize Whaleys ability fast enough his Junior year and didn't play him enough until the Akok injury. You were the one that moved the goalposts, and made it about you being the only one on here who saw his talent way before that when he was a freshman. Congrats on that though. You were right.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
God the amount of stupid takes on here pining for Carlton on our team is mind numbing.

It’s a sad day for those of us hoping to maintain the ability to look down upon pc fans.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hurley is paid to win games for UConn. Playing a college center at the wrong position in college will not help win games. You sound like Calipari who says his job is less about winning than getting people drafted.
Regardless of this Calipari comment - you may want to make believe that it isn't true but many of these kids go to certain schools so they can better their chances to play at the next level. Sanogo could go to a lot of schools and play center without sights on the NBA. Who says Sanogo is a college center? ESPN and 257 had him labeled as a 4* Power Forward coming out of HS. Again, Sanogo is not a 5 and Hurley has finally recruited a true 5 so going forward he should consider be playing Sanogo in a position where he is facing the basket. I don't think The Squid would be using Sanogo as a 5.
All coaches are paid to win games. I am not a Cal fan at all and would not want him at UConn but if DH could recruit and win on the level of Calipari it would be nice. Cal has a .763 wpct and DH is at .596%. DH and The Squid do have something in common this year - they both lost in the semifinals of their league tournament and the 1st round of the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Regardless of this Calipari comment - you may want to make believe that it isn't true but many of these kids go to certain schools so they can better their chances to play at the next level. Sanogo could go to a lot of schools and play center without sights on the NBA. Who says Sanogo is a college center? ESPN and 257 had him labeled as a 4* Power Forward coming out of HS. Again, Sanogo is not a 5 and Hurley has finally recruited a true 5 so going forward he should consider be playing Sanogo in a position where he is facing the basket. I don't think The Squid would be using Sanogo as a 5.
All coaches are paid to win games. I am not a Cal fan at all and would not want him at UConn but if DH could recruit and win on the level of Calipari it would be nice. Cal has a .763 wpct and DH is at .596%. DH and The Squid do have something in common this year - they both lost in the semifinals of their league tournament and the 1st round of the NCAAs.
I'm talking about Hurley not the players. Of course the players want to play at the next level. I think Sanogo is a college 5. We are gonna have to agree to disagree here. Playing him with a center would give us 2 big guys chasing players for Nova on the perimeter on defense and two big men clogging the lane on offense. With AJax and two big guys, we are back to having not enough perimeter offensive firepower just like this year, except we would be even slower on defense. We need to open up the floor and become a little more guard centric than we have been in my opinion.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Happy for Josh, but he's averaged 10/5 on a team with two excellent guards and a bunch of other pieces. He married well, nothing more.

Reaction Score
Nobody knocks Calipari’s way with recruits. Look, for example everyone was super excited that Hurley landed Jackson. I think Jackson creates a coaching problem that arguably Hurley could have recognized during recruiting. Maybe he did for all we know. Not a terrific shooter and I’m guessing his physical dominance in hs allowed him to score a lot without necessarily being an A level jump shooter. There are limits to how much a coach can significantly improve shooting. Polley, our supposed shooter was either hot or stone cold with not that much in between. Hawkins is supposedly the guy but he has his own learning curve. That’s why I say maybe a more nuanced criticism is regarding the skills of our recruits which definitely impacts coaching choices. I don’t know that there is any such thing as a real answer. All I’m saying is that we had a team deficient in a pretty key area and maybe getting this group to BE 3rd place, top 25 and into the dance was a pretty decent coaching job. I’m disappointed too in a first round loss, but this team wasn’t going to win an NC with John Wooden or Dean Smith coaching it. So the main disappointment to me is that we didn’t get to see the season extended another game or two. Can’t imagine what this board would’ve been like if we’d made the 16 and lost to a 15 seed as I’m pretty sure happened last night.
Maybe we could of won the NC with the St. Peters coach. :D

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Carlton gif himself in great shape

He didn’t do that 2 hand slam He just had for the good guys

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, but the same could’ve been said about the UConn coach in 2014. How did that turn out? It is fun to root for St. P which I otherwise don’t give a poo about.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Houston fans are killing coach Sampson for designing an offense that only put up 44 or is it on the players for missing so many open shots? IMO it's on the players, but I give Hurley the same benefit of the doubt when UCONN misses open shots.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Houston fans are killing coach Sampson for designing an offense that only put up 44 or is it on the players for missing so many open shots? IMO it's on the players, but I give Hurley the same benefit of the doubt when UCONN misses open shots.

Kelvin Sampson has worked miracles at Houston and has that program in the elite 8 after losing his 2 best scorers early in the season. Their fans are very happy with Sampson. Sampson has and had the right roster construction and game plan.

Everyone can see that Sampson had the team and his players in a position to succeed and play well. The players just couldn't hit shots.

If Hurley had UCONN in the Elite 8, we the fans would be giving Hurley the benefit of the doubt. This year was wide open, and we again failed to capitalize.

PS: Our roster construction regarding guards and wings who can drive and handle the rock needs big time work. We also don't have multiple knock-down shooters on the team. Every good team has 3-5 guys on the floor who are threats to score from 3.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was referring to the high hedge - hope you're right, but has been a staple so far.
It’s a big part of his system. So, next year with Clingan will answer the question whether Dan is more system driven or personnel driven.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sanogo needs to play the 4 if he wants to play basketball at the highest level after UConn. You saw it last year and DH is hurting him playing him at the 5. He needs to develop a mid range game and workable handle. If you read all the scouting reports they nearly all state he will not play 5 in the NBA. Much like Charlie V, Jeff A, Hilton and others. Even 5s in the NBA have a mid range game and many have 3 pt ability. Sanogo plays with his back to the basket. Save that for the 7 footers. Sanogo is limited offensively and needs to expand his game. He has the athletic ability.
Sanogo was the most inefficient elite level 5 in college hoops this year,. And your Answer to that is waste a season trying to make him a 4? The guy barely shot 50% as a 5. And so many misses were 8 feet and out, but now you want him to face up? To do what shoot 30?

I’m not giving up a season for that. Sanogos job next year is to shoot 60% as a 5.

Reaction Score
joshua carlton has won 4 times as many ncaa tournament games in his career as danny hurley has in his career.

I would recommend google

Reaction Score
Sanogo was the most inefficient elite level 5 in college hoops this year,.

“the most inefficient elite level 5”?

What does that mean? Among the best players he was the most inefficient? I guess I get your point but let’s not lose sight of the fact that he’s a pretty damn good player. People who get paid for this stuff thought he was one of the 5 best centers in college basketball.

Reaction Score
And yet Carlton is still playing. I realize his strengths didn't fit the Hurley system, but just maybe you design an offense/defense for the players you have.
Novel idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom