Carlton, Whaley, Vital | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carlton, Whaley, Vital

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Really I just want to rip the band-aid off and move on with the pieces we will have for the next 2-3 years.

It's nothing against Jalen or his game.
In order to improve this 10-9 team for next year, I hope our best player, the only one who has an high-end talent, leaves.
^That is a hot garbage take.

This team needs a massive makeover/reinforcements. Rooting for Jalen Adams to leave is not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 50th step to that process.

Reaction Score
I can’t argue with the sentiment.

But I would argue that Jalen is not the band-aid that needs to be ripped off.
Do you think it's even in Jalen's best interest to come back anyway?

Obviously it's KO that actually needs to go (for Jalen's sake, too, if he were to come back), but I'm not sure ADDave is going to make a change this off-season. People who seem to have a clue about the program and AD don't seem confident.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do you think it's even in Jalen's best interest to come back anyway?

Obviously it's KO that actually needs to go (for Jalen's sake, too, if he were to come back), but I'm not sure ADDave is going to make a change this off-season. People who seem to have a clue about the program and AD don't seem confident.

If Ollie is here...no, I don’t think it helps Jalen to return.

If Ollie is tossed, it’s debateable.

Reaction Score
Next year a lineup of Adams, Gilbert, Wilson, Whaley, and Carlton with Vital as the 6th man has a lot of potential. But then again, Ollie has had talent in the past and can't do anything with it..

I am not an Ollie apologist nor a defender of his coaching, nor a fan of their current offense, etc. However, does anyone think before they write anymore? How can you say that a coach, regardless of his abilities, who has WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, "has had talent in the past and can't do anything with it"??? Is there somehow more you could do than win a NC?

Sorry Kodiak for missing your post before mine...not stealing your point

Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone who roots for this team could type the sentence "I hope Jalen is gone". Honestly, I don't.

I agree that the young nucleus looks good enough to build something with, but we only have one single proven scorer. I'm selfishly hoping he stays for next year...
I also don't know how anyone who roots for this team can say they hope Anderson is gone next year, since... you know, it's his last year of eligibility so it's not a conversation to have ever

Reaction Score
In order to improve this 10-9 team for next year, I hope our best player, the only one who has an high-end talent, leaves.
^That is a hot garbage take.

This team needs a massive makeover/reinforcements. Rooting for Jalen Adams to leave is not the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 50th step to that process.
Not talking about next year, bud. You recognize that a makeover is in order; well those don't come to fruition over one off-season.

You’re right it’s a garbage take. You invented it in your head.
I also don't know how anyone who roots for this team can say they hope Anderson is gone next year, since... you know, it's his last year of eligibility so it's not a conversation to have ever
I said “along with” knowing that Anderson is gone.

Reaction Score
Vital? Jesus
I think another common failed perception of my post is that I think that Vital is going to become some great scorer and lead guard. I simply put him in the nucleus of the team. He will be an important ball handler going forward for us, like it or not. And if he cleans up his efficiency with experience and better shot selection, 12/5/5 shouldn’t be out of the question for him, and that’s a solid piece.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not talking about next year, bud. You recognize that a makeover is in order; well those don't come to fruition over one off-season.

You’re right it’s a garbage take. You invented it in your head.
Wait wait wait.

So if a makeover doesn't happen in one season (which it can), then what harm will it do keeping Adams for one more year before he graduates?

The answer is it won't do harm, because that's moronic. He is the only reason we have a winning record. He would make a great pairing with another ball handling PG (Gilbert, Akinjo)

It's not like he would be stunting the growth of Gilbert and Akinjo. He would do just the opposite. Adams, Gilbert, Akinjo competing with each other in practice every day and learning how to play with each other does many good things for the future of UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Jalen is a magnificentbasketball player. But his attitude is a problem and affects the team

And he really hasn't gotten better since his freshman year. and quite possibly, his outside shooting has regressed

Reaction Score
And he really hasn't gotten better since his freshman year. and quite possibly, his outside shooting has regressed
The last 5 games he’s been shooting a lot better from 3 from pull up 2’s and foul shooting

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Wake up, Jalen is not good for this program.

Even if you think he's not, we need a point guard who can give us more than 6 games per season. If you think it's bad now, imagine next season with Gilbert out again and Vital running the point. That's the recipe for a 25 loss season.

Reaction Score
It's not like he would be stunting the growth of Gilbert and Akinjo. He would do just the opposite. Adams, Gilbert, Akinjo competing with each other in practice every day and learning how to play with each other does many good things for the future of UConn basketball.
Your post boils down to this point.

Practicing amongst each other I believe is a highly overrated concept. What matters is in-game reps and experience. And within games, Jalen dominating the ball could absolutely potentially stunt AG’s development. And I think it’s been demonstrated that he does not really have the leadership qualities or potential tutelage which would benefit the younger players. He’s raw athleticism and skill; other players don’t benefit in their development through that.

Reaction Score
Could be a good nucleus going forward. I hope Jalen is gone along with Larrier and Anderson who are both liabilities at this point (the latter much more so). Hand the reins over to AG and Vital, plug in a couple shooters, and we may have something in a couple years

Not sure how man more "couple years" we have, but that freshman pair and their potential is all the positive we have right now.

Was really impressed by some of the things Carlton was doing today. How many freshmen go for 13/9 (6 offensive), 2 assists, a steal, and a block, shooting 50% from the floor and 3/3 from the line, with no turnovers, against the clear cut #1 team in the country?

tough to put the reins in AG who has had shoulder issues the last 3 years

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Carlton could be great with some work in the weight room and some coaching.

He needs this coaching change more than anyone.

There's a number of guys on the team with something to work with. If they can get good coaching, it could be a nice nucleus.

Need a star or two though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Really I just want to rip the band-aid off and move on with the pieces we will have for the next 2-3 years.

It's nothing against Jalen or his game. I see a lot of people seem to have perceived that statement in that way.

I would say this, can you imagine how good Jalen would be with proper coaching. I'm willing to bet his attitude (as people seem to harp on) would be better as well. And the kids around him would be better, which would help him even more.

He's the type of kid who could absolutely thrive in the right offense. Run things smoothly all game, and take over only when necessary.

Reaction Score
Carlton could be great with some work in the weight room and some coaching.

He needs this coaching change more than anyone.

if anyone has improved this year it is Carlton. I think any fair minded person has to give a lot of credit for that improvement to the coaching staff. Agreed he needs a ton of work in the weight room.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

It's hard to shoot well when you're the only guy the other team has to guard.

Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone who roots for this team could type the sentence "I hope Jalen is gone". Honestly, I don't.

I agree that the young nucleus looks good enough to build something with, but we only have one single proven scorer. I'm selfishly hoping he stays for next year...

If Larrier comes back and works on his game , does he slide into the 1st round?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
No wins. 0-19. And I'm not being sarcastic.
We won the first game of the year without him. I'm giving them that and the Coppin State game.

2-17.

Reaction Score
I
Wait wait wait.

So if a makeover doesn't happen in one season (which it can), then what harm will it do keeping Adams for one more year before he graduates?

The answer is it won't do harm, because that's moronic. He is the only reason we have a winning record. He would make a great pairing with another ball handling PG (Gilbert, Akinjo)

If Gilbert can play

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom