Carlton, Whaley, Vital | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Carlton, Whaley, Vital

Reaction Score
Yeah I read further and you are still bonkers because you then made a case for vital being a 12/5 guy in some future role as a big positive while wanting larrier gone who is giving us 15/5 this year and can actually shoot.
( But can't dribble)
He’s averaging what, 14 and 5 right now as a third option?

With my caveat of him improving his efficiency and with Jalen hypothetically gone, I don’t see it as bonkers for Vital to produce at that clip with a few more assists per game; especially if you put a shooter around him and AG, and if Carlton continues to improve at the post and PNR. He has been attacking the rim much more this year, averaging 5 FTs a game. Make three of those, hit a 3, make a couple baskets, one in transition, and you have 12 points. Again it comes down to efficiency. He has not been far off of alleged pro prospect Larrier in every other regard. Right up there with he and Jalen in most of the games that have mattered (quality opponents). Arguably better than Larrier against good or decent teams.

Starting with the Columbia game (which, without him, we lose and is the worst loss of the season), he has averaged 16.5 ppg. He can be a decent guard in the AAC on the AAC team that we will be fielding for the next 2 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He’s averaging what, 14 and 5 right now as a third option?

With my caveat of him improving his efficiency and with Jalen hypothetically gone, I don’t see it as bonkers for Vital to produce at that clip with a few more assists per game; especially if you put a shooter around him and AG, and if Carlton continues to improve at the post and PNR. He has been attacking the rim much more this year, averaging 5 FTs a game. Make three of those, hit a 3, make a couple baskets, one in transition, and you have 12 points. Again it comes down to efficiency. He has not been far off of alleged pro prospect Larrier in every other regard. Right up there with he and Jalen in most of the games that have mattered (quality opponents). Arguably better than Larrier against good or decent teams.

Starting with the Columbia game (which, without him, we lose and is the worst loss of the season), he has averaged 16.5 ppg. He can be a decent guard in the AAC on the AAC team that we will be fielding for the next 2 years.

Tell which me which UConn team from 89/90 through 2014 would have had Vital as a key starter? On a good UConn team he would be a valuable bench guy with 1-2 rings at graduation.

Reaction Score
Tell which me which UConn team from 89/90 through 2014 would have had Vital as a key starter? On a good UConn team he would be a valuable bench guy with 1-2 rings at graduation.
As if any of that is at all relevant, lol

Reaction Score
I didn't see the game was golfing in RI and made the mistake of checking the score on the back 9 - uggghhh. Anyway came home, knew the score started watching the DVR and saw all of those offensive rebounds early and was just too depressed to put myself through it all. Surprised to see Whaley in all of his minutes only got 1 rebound. He is gong to be good but needs a summer of weights and strength conditiong (and shooting from 8-12 feet).

Reaction Score
We have a good nuecleus of players if we can just add a true point guard, a knock down SG and a Big with low post offense we will be OK.

Reaction Score
I hope Jalen is gone?

wow...

He is far from a perfect player, but I don't think you have any idea how terrible we would be without him. How about putting some good players around him instead?
Don't try to make sense because there are too many who don't have any. Jalen is an outstanding basketball player who could play for any team. He carries too much of the load, plays the entire game and is forced to try to score too much on a scoring challenged team.
Can you imagine this team without Jalen? The stupidity on this board is amazing.

Reaction Score
If Ollie is here...no, I don’t think it helps Jalen to return.

If Ollie is tossed, it’s debateable.
Larrier will opt for a real basketball program if he is not in shape for an NBA shot.
He is grad transfer eligible, why would he stay here when he can be at a P5 school
Rutgers would be a great destination.
Seriously If KO gets canned
JA is long gone , the only remote possibility of him staying is if KO stays
The question is who else will go with the coach.
Most likely the guard recruits will decommit and Vital will transfer.
and depending on their love maybe a couple of Bigs like Whaley and Carlton
Polley is more likely to stay if KO goes.
Cobb is gone if Ollie stays .If the new guy is really desperate he may agree to let him be our PG next year. That would be interesting.

Reaction Score
Never was a fan of transfers. Coming in or going out.
Nothing personal, it just seems to always ruin a good recipe, makes a good drink sour. It evolves with bad decisions, and creates tension.
One bad incoming could create outgoing.

Name a incoming starting transfer that really made a positive effect to the chemistry of the team - Shonn Miller comes to mind.
Name an outgoing transfer that made a difference for others.

Next year, hopefully, we will be back in the mainstream of players who chose UCONN from the start and chose UCONN to stay.

Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts,
1 How can you hope Jalen is gone? Our best hope next year with or w/o Ollie is all of our important pieces come back, AG is healthy, and none our recruits decommit. That would be a nice team on paper.
2 We haven't seen great development of players recently but some credit has to be given to the staff with Carlton. He is absolutely getting better and fouling less. He should be a nice player as he matures physically.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Honestly, I no longer know which way is up with the roster for this year or next. I know Jalen is our most complete player. I know Vital would be a good 6th man. I think Carlton and Whalley have potential. Beyond that?

I'm not even sure what to think about the coach. I know he fell off a cliff and doesn't deserve to come back. But will he? Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Problem was he was another guard who couldn't shoot from the outside. I mean how can a team with 4 guards not have one guy who can shoot consistently from the outside?
And that’s why Gilbert doesn’t solve all of our problems because he was not a great or even a good 3 point shooter. I think Gilbert could help Vital though.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Gilbert shouldn't be part of the conversation. He can't be counted on. Anything he gives us would be gravy.

Reaction Score
You really think Adams will be back? I doubt it as he will just go to the G-league if he can't still on an NBA roster.
I think he's a marginal G League player at this point. He looks very soft. Has the boy ever touched a weight?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Next year a lineup of Adams, Gilbert, Wilson, Whaley, and Carlton with Vital as the 6th man has a lot of potential. But then again, Ollie has had talent in the past and can't do anything with it..
I do think the potential talent for next year is good
But too many posters are stating false narratives in an attempt to slam Coach Ollie:

2014 National Championship
2015 Daniels leaves prematurely & hurts team’s chances
2016 Hamilton leaves prematurely & hurts team’s chances
2017 Two starters injured and out for season
2018. 4 players renig and Coach Ollie has to get four late recruits to fill in, 1 starter injured and out for season, 2nd starter injured and misses some of season, 3rd starter suspended for disciplinary reason.
Not to mention 5th year senior guard who played well earlier is buried in an awful slump, the star player is shooting very poorly from distance and turning it over at a high rate, etc. John Wooden in his prime would struggle to get more out of this bunch

Reaction Score
I think he's a marginal G League player at this point. He looks very soft. Has the boy ever touched a weight?
I doubt he is a marginal G-League player if RP can make an impact there. RP might be a better shooter but the more open lanes goes right into what JA does well.

Reaction Score
But too many posters are stating false narratives in an attempt to slam Coach Ollie:

2018. 4 players renig and Coach Ollie has to get four late recruits to fill in, 1 starter injured and out for season, 2nd starter injured and misses some of season, 3rd starter suspended for disciplinary reason.
Not to mention 5th year senior guard who played well earlier is buried in an awful slump, the star player is shooting very poorly from distance and turning it over at a high rate, etc. John Wooden in his prime would struggle to get more out of this bunch
We’re the only team that has players injured or leave. Snakebit.

Reaction Score
There's enough talent here to be above average to good. We could have 3-5 top-100 recruits. Carlton should be better and Whalley is good. Heck, if certain dominos fall, we could have a shot at the tournament. I'm just not there with the coaching. And while I fully expect guard play to take a legitimate, significant step forward next year, we're just so undergunned and raw up front. The same issue as last year's team, really.

Roster should be better constructed. It won't be the duct taped mess we have this year, but again - I'm just not confident Ollie's the guy. I'd really like to see someone else get a stab at things with this talent.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

Why are we treating all transfers equal? When it’s a star like Shonn Miller or even a good player like Gibbs, it’s a huge plus. Totally different when your scraping Fordham’s fourth best player off of their squad. Plenty of transfers really help their team. Oregon would be screwed without Elijah Brown this year, and Florida would have been worse without Koulechov. Cam Johnson has been really good so far for Roy Williams too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom