Cardoso to SC | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now the question raises how are minutes spread around?
When I wrote my thoughts above Cardosa had chosen Syracuse OVER UCONN, UCONN was in the original mix, but SoCar now has Boston their best player having to deal with 6'7" Cardoso!
Remember SoCar had Wilson and Coates getting in each others way in the lane until Coates graduated could Wilson shine!
IMHO I bet the ranch that Geno got some negative feedback from his players and/or his recruits!

Actually, I don't remember that being a thing, at all.

Alaina Coates:
13-14: 34 gm, 1 st, .612%, 12.3 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 2.2 bpg
14-15: 36 gms, 5 sts, .562%, 11.1 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 1.5 bpg
15-16: 35 gms, 33 sts, .644%, 12.1 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 1.3 bpg
16-17: 28 gms, 27 sts, .670%, 12.9 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 1.4 bpg
17-18: N/A

A'ja Wilson:
13-14: N/A
14-15: 37 gms, 1 st, .538%, 13.1 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 1.8 bpg
15-16: 33 gms, 32 sts, .531%, 16.1 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 3.1 bpg
16-17: 35 gms, 35 sts, .588%, 17.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 2.6 bpg
17-18: 33 gms, 29 sts, .542%, 22.6 ppg, 11.8 rpg, 3.2 bpg

Both players actually complimented each other, not got in each other's way. They both each improved with each successive season. Wilson is the program-leading career scorer (Coates is 11th), and shot-blocker (Coates is tied for 2nd with Kiki Herbert-Harrigan), while Coates is the #2 career rebounder (Wilson is 3rd) and #1 career field goal shooter (Wilson is 5th). Wilson is 2nd all-time at USC in double-doubles, while Coates is 3rd. One could argue that Wilson and Coates were in the top 5 all time players for South Carolina, and they both played together. How is that getting in each other's way??

Wilson had her big jump her senior year offensively not so much because Coates was out of her way, but moreso because Coates as well as Kaela Davis and Alisha Grey had all graduated, and they were 3 of the team's top 4 scorers the previous season. Wilson HAD to shoulder more of a scoring load as a result. Also lost a dbl-digit rebounder in Coates, and Grey was no slouch around 5.0+ rpg herself.....

Reaction Score
Anyone that has watch Raven play knows that she is exactly what SCar needed in the back court. The minute she takes the court for Dawn she'll be the best passer on the team and the most consistent shooter. Although her size is a disadvantage her speed and savvy make up for it. Now, I've said that Feagin and Rivers are more of the same: Highly athletic and poor shooters and passers. But Johnson is the real deal and is a difference maker.

if Rivers is the best shooter on the team...
Seldom may be true, but it's still possible. Baylor did it in 2019 with Brown (6'7") and Cox (6'4"). I don't know if Stanford's style could be considered a twin towers approach, but they won a title this year and their height was a big factor when they played SC.

It's too early to tell how things will play out with SC and the upcoming season. Who knows how Cardoso will be utilized in the offence? And Boston has been developing an outside shot, making some 3s this year. It will be fun to speculate though. The results of what teams do during the offseason are going to be interesting.

I think the bigger factor was actually not being able to match up with Stanford going small.

after Grissette Injury, SC didn't have enough wings to move Beal down to 4 and Haley Jones torched our 4s.

Stanford did hold down our interior scoring and nearly broke even on boards though and that was big too. I just think they were deeper in the end.

Reaction Score
Disaster. No way to sugar-coat this. Cardosa would have provided the 1 element that Geno has been missing the last several years without a Title - a Big that provides consistent defense pressure, a rim protector & can score in multiple ways including posting up. You can't coach 6'7" defensive players of the years who can score - and she has 4 years of eligibility to make it worse.

SC was basically a missed lapup at the buzzer to win the Title last year. Now, you add Cardosa & a Top 2 recruiting class to a very talented & physical team that has Boston.

Yes, UConn gets Azzi & some potential shooters coming in. But again, the team is NOT balanced. Too much finesse, perimeter players & not enough Bigs & defensive presence.

SC has to be the Favorite next year.

I wonder if Dorka had anything to do w/Cordosa's decision?? In any event, the "Portal" rules may have just sunk Geno. I'm afraid it could be more FFs but no Titles for UConn for years to come.
I tend to agree that the teams will be closely matched. However in a close game having closers like Paige and Azzi I feel is a major advantage. Those two will be as close to unstoppable as you can get scoring with the game on the line.

Reaction Score
Were they better after Coates was injured? Yes.
I don't actually think they were. I'm at least not sure that they were.

I don't think they'd have any trouble beating anyone they faced in tournament with Coates.

the issue with those teams was never that the interior players were so good. It was that the perimeter was weak. And that was fixed on that team and that would have shown regardless.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree that the teams will be closely matched. However in a close game having closers like Paige and Azzi I feel is a major advantage. Those two will be as close to unstoppable as you can get scoring with the game on the line.
Very possibly true.

We will see.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
And I believe that the best transfer prospect in transfer portal was and is Cardoso…as she will have immediate impact….Dorka is in top 5 ….on another lesser team Cardoso would not have had same winning impact but with the deep talent of SC she will….
And the news 0f Cardoso’s transfer to SC felt like being hit by a two by four….
And I mentioned this before she is bit Griner like with real potential upside
SCAR had the dominant post game in every game they played. Because you are adding a potentially dominant post to a team with a better post already in place mitigates the increase from Cardoso. If you added Cardoso to a team without a strong post presence, then she would have a winning impact. In short SCAR would have won around 30 games this year. Now that they have added Cardoso, how many games will they win? Around 30, so she gives little impact to the success of the team.

Reaction Score
Did not expect this at all considering the fact that it doesn’t get much better than Boston as far as bigs are concerned. I thought Auburn or Texas or Kentucky. Never thought she’d come to UConn. For Dawn to be a guard, she love bigs and always run her teams through the paint first. There will nothing available inside for opposing teams because Cardoso is really light on the feet. She is one of the fastest bigs from end to end I have seen especially for a 6’7 girl. Her and Boston together on defense will be tough.

And if Cooke can play all season like she did in the tournament and Henderson improves they can be better shooters than we think. I also like their lone freshman from this season Eniya Russell, I think this team will be good. Plus all the freshman they have coming in. Loaded.

UConn & South Carolina are the teams to beat.

please don’t let Stanford win another one

Reaction Score
Were they better after Coates was injured? Yes.

There's no way to truly quantify that. They were a different team after Coates was lost, and had to adjust their style of play. They had some depth to cover for Coates' absence, in 6-2 Herbert-Harrigan and 6-2 Davis could also provide support, while Wilson was basically our 5 the rest of the way. But there's no way at all one can say that South Carolina would NOT have won the title that season WITH Coates in the lineup.....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hope we have a killer non-conference schedule because UConn will need to be seriously battle-hardened to do what we all want to see. The challenge just got way more difficult.
And don’t forget, SC is a “regular” on UConn’s non conference schedule. We’ll get to see those twin towers up close and personal this year. A good game to see where you are versus other elite teams.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Cardoso was in SC top 3 or 4 and was suppose to visit. For some reason she committed to Syracuse before the visit occurred if I am not mistaken.
She visited SCAR on 10/25 and committed to Cuse on 11/6. SCAR was her last visit

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
there's no way at all one can say that South Carolina would NOT have won the title that season WITH Coates in the lineup.....
perhaps but you cannot deny losing Coates did NOT hurt the team.

Reaction Score
Don't we have a "WNBA team", as it is? Very deep roster.

Reaction Score
This gives Staley flexibility to match up with any opposing line-up. There are other teams across the country that can play multiple solid BIGS on the floor at the same time, or, in a rotation. Great move on Staley's part, don't see a downside.
It is still a long ways off but at this point, I'm thinking we can beat them but GA will need to outcoach Staley.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geez. Worst-case scenario.

Confused Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Yes.....especially during the tournament. :confused:

Reaction Score
I think we actually match up with them decently. Although I do agree that it’ll be tough. Boston and Edwards will be able to guard each other and then Liv and Cardoso match up well together. Add in Dorka and I think we’ll be okay defensively. My concern is rebounding and then offensively we will need better production from our bigs. Let’s see how this plays out...
I hope you are right but dealing with multiple bigs like that can really wear us down as the game goes on. GA will need to outcoach Staley as well. I also expect Boston to take a big step in her development this year. She really didn't last year which I found a bit odd. I also expect Cardosa to take a big step in her development as well.

As mentioned in other posts, I expect the same big step forward in our rising sophs but don't really expect much difference from the rest of the team. DJ will definitely help. If she can get back to hitting 40% from 3, then she will be tough to guard as well. We can really spread the floor and make their bigs move their feet and create opps and fouls.

Piath could be a wild card. If she can give us some defense that would be good. But she has a long ways to go.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Anyone recall playing SC when they had A’Ja Wilson and Alaina Coates? Pretty good bigs, yes? Did they win?
a
Yes.

I believe @Teacherdeb was asking if SC won against UConn when they had Coates and Wilson. The answer is “no,” we won comfortably with a size challenged line-up.

I think Cardoso does help SC for two reasons. Foul trouble won’t matter at the post spot and Boston’s main flaw I can see, getting either mentally and/or physically tired, will be better remedied. But I’ll stick to my claim that the +/- for the two of them in together will be less than when just one is in. I would actually prefer to see Staley use them both in the line up at the same time when SC plays us.

Reaction Score
SCAR had the dominant post game in every game they played. Because you are adding a potentially dominant post to a team with a better post already in place mitigates the increase from Cardoso. If you added Cardoso to a team without a strong post presence, then she would have a winning impact. In short SCAR would have won around 30 games this year. Now that they have added Cardoso, how many games will they win? Around 30, so she gives little impact to the success of the team.
You are missing the point…SC was going to win regardless but adding Cardoso gives them an edge that they did not have…ie many times Boston had foul trouble or how about injuries….the depth inside is another plus….Cardoso on her own could not carry a better than average team but put her at SC is another level….she can play ….she is talented not just a big big with option to get better quickly….
But I wonder if she would stay four years!!! Does not strike me as someone that would….just a thought I have no inside info…
We could debate this many ways but definitely not good for UCONN or to the other 2 or 3 contenders.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Seldom may be true, but it's still possible. Baylor did it in 2019 with Brown (6'7") and Cox (6'4"). I don't know if Stanford's style could be considered a twin towers approach, but they won a title this year and their height was a big factor when they played SC.

It's too early to tell how things will play out with SC and the upcoming season. Who knows how Cardoso will be utilized in the offence? And Boston has been developing an outside shot, making some 3s this year. It will be fun to speculate though. The results of what teams do during the offseason are going to be interesting.
Another example in this vein would be the 6’4” Stewart and 6’5” Dolson. But the exceptions include at least one versatile post that does not need to spend a majority of the time in the lane - like Cox or Stewart. Boston may have the skills to function that way, but to date I am not sure about the stamina.

On the defensive side twin towers, unless at least one has guard like mobility, will have problems against well run offenses.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
if Rivers is the best shooter on the team...

I think the bigger factor was actually not being able to match up with Stanford going small.

after Grissette Injury, SC didn't have enough wings to move Beal down to 4 and Haley Jones torched our 4s.

Stanford did hold down our interior scoring and nearly broke even on boards though and that was big too. I just think they were deeper in the end.
Rivers isn't the shooter Raven is. Not close. Also unlike Henni, Raven doesn't need to penetrate or dribble to make the good pass. Raven's the real deal.

Reaction Score
Another example in this vein would be the 6’4” Stewart and 6’5” Dolson. But the exceptions include at least one versatile post that does not need to spend a majority of the time in the lane - like Cox or Stewart. Boston may have the skills to function that way, but to date I am not sure about the stamina.

On the defensive side twin towers, unless at least one has guard like mobility, will have problems against well run offenses.
You are forgetting how Baylor dominated with Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox….it is easier in Women’s basketball to use the twin towers concept….in the men not do this day….the reality with last years team intact the blue chip players coming in and Cardoso….on paper is impressive.

Reaction Score
The matchup against UConn hardly changes with this addition. South Carolina needs to improve the play from their 1-3 positions to beat UConn. Their 3 player needs to be able to shoot the 3, at the least. Cooke and Henderson need to play in control and feed Boston/Cardoso. They also need to work on their decision making. I also believe they could use a stretch 4, which Boston will play if her and Cardoso are in together. UConn bottled up Cardoso and Boston, and I think they can continue with that style of defense. South Carolina's recruiting may have answers to many of the problems I just said, but I'm not convinced this sways the match up all that much.

Reaction Score
You are forgetting how Baylor dominated with Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox….it is easier in Women’s basketball to use the twin towers concept….in the men not do this day….the reality with last years team intact the blue chip players coming in and Cardoso….on paper is impressive.
Brown and Cox worked because of Cox' versatility and unselfishness. Cox at the 4 > Boston at the 4. Moving Boston to the 4 would raise concerns IMO. Not against 90% of teams they will face, but against elite teams.

Reaction Score
Yes but they can be interchangeable
Your point is good
Well taken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads