Cardoso to SC | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SC’s problem to me has been their guards. No matter how many points they score, unless there is improvement, lack of smart guard play will undoubtedly continue to keep them from a natty.
SC guards will be fine. Our backcourt is littered with McDonald's all American. So finding a combination that works will not be a problem. Henderson and Cooke, who both are listed as top 25 players for next year, will be backed up by Johnson and Rivers who are rated the #2 and #3 players coming in by ESPN.

Reaction Score
Liv, Aaliyah, Amari, and Dorka better hit it hard the weight room this summer.

Oy vey.
I wouldn't be concerned about Aaliyah and strength training. Canada Basketball targeted athletes have strength training plans right from HS. Add in her work ethic in and off season from what I've read in articles, she'll be putting in the work.
She also has goals to compete in the Olympics this summer. Banging against WNBA players will be great experience if she gets the opportunity.
If by worst-case scenario, you mean best-case scenario; I agree. UConn is going to have to compete to win a title, no cake walk. Players will need to step-up their games. Where's the toughness coming from?
Aaliyah for one, but I see where you're coming from.
Chill out everybody, Yes, SCar will have a loaded roster next season.

Guess what . . . so will UConn.

Sets up a great regular season mathup, but we both need to move beyond the final four.

Stanford is the champ. We are both just chasers at this point.
I agree and I don't understand how Stanford can be overlooked. They have some highly ranked players coming in for 2021 and are retaining a large portion of the championship team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
But only one per recruiting year...

Justin Timberlake Yes GIF
One number one player per recruiting year is all any team can have per year. Do you know of any team that had more than one in the same year?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What elite shooters are on SC? UConn will have at least two and maybe three. I think you may be underestimating the talent UConn will have the next few seasons. If Edwards shows improvement offensively next season, UConn will be fine up front. SC, Stanford, and Maryland will all be tough next season. There may also be some surprises. The questions I would like to see answered is did Cardoso reach out to UConn, did UConn reach out to her or was any contact made between the two? Also, did UConn turn her down? I doubt they did.
Last year for SC Cooke was 39.3% and Henderson was 41.4 %. Obviously neither of them are at Paige's level but Cooke and Henderson would have been solid #2 and 3 on UCONN by a significant margin. Cooke and Henderson are juniors and seniors respectively who could also improve. I do not have an answer to either of your questions. To answer that question would require inside knowledge. There are probably about 1.5 BYers I would trust if they were to provide answers to these questions.

Reaction Score
What elite shooters are on SC? UConn will have at least two and maybe three. I think you may be underestimating the talent UConn will have the next few seasons. If Edwards shows improvement offensively next season, UConn will be fine up front. SC, Stanford, and Maryland will all be tough next season. There may also be some surprises. The questions I would like to see answered is did Cardoso reach out to UConn, did UConn reach out to her or was any contact made between the two? Also, did UConn turn her down? I doubt they did.
SC has elite scorers and elite defenders. Shooting goes and come but Henderson and Cooke both shot close to 40% from the 3 last year. It will be a task for teams to get to 50 points against SC. We can literally go at least 10 deep with no significant drop off.

Reaction Score
SC has elite scorers and elite defenders. Shooting goes and come but Henderson and Cooke both shot close to 40% from the 3 last year. It will be a task for teams to get to 50 points against SC. We can literally go at least 10 deep with no significant drop off.
It's tough to get to 50 points in any SEC game. Getting to 50 free throws is pretty easy though.

Reaction Score
Geno has failed to get 25% of the #1 recruits in the country if he only has 3 of the 4. If you were going skydiving would you jump if you knew there was a 25% failure rate in the parachute opening?

Reaction Score
Awesome, absolutely love it.

Boston:
1) Big and Ponderous
2) Knees - very frail
3) Had to be subbed out for defensive reasons
4) Not able to run the floor
5) No Stamina

Cardosa:
1) Big and Lumbering
2) A major project
3) Not BB savvy

Need I go on?

All knowledgeable UCONN fans should love this.

Cardoso a major project? Piath is a major project, not the reigning ACC ROY and DPOY. And your take on Boston is very one-sided and doesnt speak on her remarkable skills.

You can claim to be a knowledgeable UConn fan, but stay in that lane. You are NOT a knowledgeable womens college basketball fan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno has failed to get 25% of the #1 recruits in the country if he only has 3 of the 4. If you were going skydiving would you jump if you knew there was a 25% failure rate in the parachute opening?
Maybe, if the plane was going crash.

Reaction Score
I agree with those who don't fear SCAR. Do you remember when Dawn had Coates and Wilson and tried to play them together. The team improved when Coates had an injury and Wilson was left room to play. Boston is good, but she's no Wilson. Cardoso is good, but she's no Boston They are still going to have to figure out an offense for the two of them. As long as Dawn has to rely on Henderson to run the offense they will have issues getting the ball (Nike or Wilson) into the post. All of Boston's stats went done from her Freshman to sophomore years because of the drop off from Harris at the point to Henny.
Let’s see they were a put back from winning the NC. All their players return
They added the acc newcomer of the year
And they have a number of very highly
Regarded incoming freshmen
They certainly have some weaknesses
But to think South Carolina will not be an improved team and very very difficult to beat is imho not realistic

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
One number one player per recruiting year is all any team can have per year. Do you know of any team that had more than one in the same year?
Idiot Facepalm GIF

Reaction Score
UCONN has not always beaten South Carolina. The last game was an OT which UCONN won. The game prior to that was a loss for UCONN in which UCONN was dominated. Here is a fun fact that might throw a fly into the ointment of your strategy of UCONN outshooting SC. The South Carolina backcourt Of Cooke and Henderson are actually terrific 3Pt shooters. Last year Cooke was 39.3% and Henderson was 41.4 %. Obviously neither of them are at Paige's level but Cooke and Henderson would have been solid #2 and 3 on UCONN by a significant margin.

Most recent is that UCONN beat SC. Two years is not as relevant as last year and especially when the player UCONN had that won was POY and SC couldn't handle her and she wasn't playing 2 years ago. So sure take away the best player in all of wcbb then yes UCONN is probably going to lose.

Yes they would have been 2nd 3rd and not 1st. Not first. The one that was 1st was the player they couldn't stop. SO much so they put other defenders on Paige. . Not first. And yes I'd put money they'll be at best 3rd and 4th on this current UCONN team coming up for this year.

Reaction Score
Cardoso a major project? Piath is a major project, not the reigning ACC ROY and DPOY. And your take on Boston is very one-sided and doesnt speak on her remarkable skills.

You can claim to be a knowledgeable UConn fan, but stay in that lane. You are NOT a knowledgeable womens college basketball fan
U nailed it!!!

Reaction Score
Keep the shockwaves coming. I'm here for every ounce of it. This off-season has been very entertaining so far and it hasn't even been a full month yet since the WCBB season ended. I seriously can't wait until November.

Reaction Score
Nice grab, but SC still has no consistent outside shooting. Pack 4 in the paint will be a common defense.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Twin towers have seldom won championships on either the men or women’s side. Ironically, perhaps the most successful twin towers on the women’s side was the 6’4” Lobo and 6’7” Wolters. In contrast, SC won its one championship after one of its twin towers, Coates, went down, allowing for better spacing and guard play during the tournament.

No doubt SC will be better next year, but the main reason will be due to the improved play of their guards. Cardoso might mean no foul trouble or conditioning worries for SC, but I’m willing to bet the +/- when both Boston and Cardoso is on the floor will be less than when only one is on the floor.

On edit: I don’t think either UConn or SC was the best choice for Cardoso. Texas, LSU and Duke are all destinations where her presence would have made a greater impact for both the programs and herself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SC now has 3 talented BIGs who are at their best in the paint. I can’t wait to see the Huskies face the Gamecocks next season to see if they can handle all the shooters UConn will have on the court. I have visions of the matchup from 2017 when SC’s twin towers couldn’t matchup with 6’1” Pheesa and 5’11” Gabby.

As a reminder, SC won the championship that year, but only after Coates was injured in the SEC tournament, forcing SC to use a smaller lineup in the NCAA tournament, which ended up spreading the floor and opening the lane for SC’s guards to continually attack the basket.
I still favor UConn next year but don't know if "all the UConn shooters" is as big an advantage as stated. We will have one significant new shooter in Azzi and SC will have numerous strong frosh and now Cardoso. Likely will come down to coaching and Geno's ability to get Paige, Azzi and team their shots while Dawn will want to pound it inside and get offensive rebounds. We will likely have to be good from the outside since I doubt too many Huskies will be able to drive or hit inside shots.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cardoso lumbering? Watch the game against Syracuse. She was the fastest post on the court typically out running both Liv and AE. Her problem was conditioning, not athleticism.
And not BB savvy?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You quoting one part of my post and taking it out of context is interesting. If you read further I stated very clearly WHY I think that.
I was saving you. You said that Ono matches up with Cardozo. She couldn't guard Cardozo with help.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
But to think South Carolina will not be an improved team and very very difficult to beat is imho not realistic
SCAR improving their post play is carrying coals to Newcastle. I heard these same comments last year when I explained that SCAR had lost 30% of their scoring and 40% of their assists. Until they significantly improve their guard play they will still be very good but not as good as the #1 banner team. Unless Johnson provides the solution to their glaring hole at guard or Henderson becomes Ty Harris, what you saw last year is what you will see this year. Please note that I am only speaking about the guard play, they still have to make 3's.

Reaction Score

UCONN has elite scorers and defenders too. Just wanted to add that.
Cardoso is a terrific pickup. You'll go big and as I said with another post in a way I'm glad because prior to this there was talk that UCONN was automatically going to steamroll everyone for the next 3 years.

What this would have meant is any game in which UCONN didn't completely annihilate another team then we'd have to read how terrible UCONN is playing. haha

With Cardoso - and with their recruiting class- imo SC - similar to UCONN should be to eliminate the "pretty good" but not "very good teams" from beating you.

SC was a beast even before Cardoso. They are now as well. But so is UCONN. And SC didn't go any farther than UCONN did.

But to your point that your 10 deep can go with little to no drop off- I say that's wrong just as I have fought on here with many that this past year I was fine with UCONN going with a short bench - because a team is better when they play their best when their is a gap in talent and/or performance is far off or expected to be far off.

SO in response to your point about playing 10 players - I say please please please do it for UCONN. Please have Boston only play half the game. And if you have these elite frosh -- please please play them half the game if they are shooting 25% from 3 rather than your more seasoned guard vets that you're building up as very good shooters among other things that are very good at.

Hey my response to oldhuskie was not to slam your team. It was to bring up that my team is a beast too and that size alone is not a determining factor.

Reaction Score
What happened to all that “Love” that most UConn fans in this group were giving Cardoso when it was rumored she was committing to UConn?!?! How fast opinions change when a recruit does not choose UConn.... ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom