Cardoso to SC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oh no not discounting them at all, because I totally agree. I just think their recruiting class and ours just cancel each other out. Both extremely talent and will hopefully be solid production wise. I’m interested to see if SC’s class will be able to shoot in game, that seems to be their weak spot. When I say we match up decently, I more mean we’re very close talent wise as opposed to we match up better.
A question mark which many are quickly pointing to with SC getting Cardoso is can she and Boston play together effectively. The short answer is she doesn't have to. Even without Cardoso SC lead the nation last year in blocked shots and was third in rebounding margin. Cardoso is an elite shot blocker and rebounder and then you can throw Rivers into the mix who has all the tools to be an elite perimeter defender.
UCONN on the other hand has a question mark (for 4 years running now) size, bulk, and skill in the post and the ability to get easy baskets. I just don't think UCONN is bringing enough "elite shooters" to offset the defensive advantages that SC now has.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on what? The only thing that stopped Cardoso when UConn played her was the Cuse guards.
You quoting one part of my post and taking it out of context is interesting. If you read further I stated very clearly WHY I think that.

Reaction Score
Why?

Both bigs are now stacked in the paint. Why not put 3 defenders in there and just force whoever they have outside to beat you?
This may be the defensive strategy now. In fact this last season SC was very much an inside team with so so three point shooting before Cardoso. I think it changes the way Dawn looks at recruits and transfers. Clearly 3 pt shooters are now at the top of her wish list.

Reaction Score
There is no negative to this for SC. Spacing doesn't matter as much when you have two huge kids playing together. Not to mention Boston can hit the foul line jumper. They can run high low all day and space the floor with their other shooters. They are the favs next year as we will find it very hard to defend them. Yes they will have it hard defending us as well but our bigs aren't as good as theirs and they have quality guards/role players and look to be deep as well. Having DJ on the team will certainly help. Liv will need to completely reinvent herself next year.

GA will have to earn his money to beat SC next year. It will be much more difficult than figuring out how to defeat Arizona.
Great post. Especially re the high low

Reaction Score
I'm one of those--I feel the same way about SC. With only 5 spots on the court, both teams are going to have several very talented players riding the pine for the next year or 2.
It's starting to feel like the 80's when the Lakers and Celtics both dominated their respective conferences throughout the decade and "enough" never seemed to be enough when it came to matching up with each other.

Reaction Score
UCONN on the other hand has a question mark (for 4 years running now) size, bulk, and skill in the post and the ability to get easy baskets. I just don't think UCONN is bringing enough "elite shooters" to off the defense advantages that SC now has.
Yeah, we really have been desperate for a big true center. South Carolina is for sure the main team I fear next year. They’ll be good. Interesting in the game we played we lead in blocks 8-4 but got totally out rebounded 52-39. Which is only going to stand out even more with Cardoso. Scary matchup..not one I’m personally looking forward to watching LOL!

Reaction Score
Dawn has welcomed Kim to the SEC.

Shocked March Madness GIF by NCAA Championships

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Another interesting fact, Cardoso is on Financial aid and not scholarship. Not sure, were they maxed out on the scholarship limit?

Where did you read that?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I love Geno and would never question his on court decisions. But this, this seems to be on him. This is a tough pill to swallow. This may not effect next years team. But in coming years and after Boston leaves it will become more and more apparent how good this kid is. SCar fans should be over the moon.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
psconn I'm not worried about SoCar! You shouldn't either!
Their National Championship was because UCONN lost to Miss St! in the Semi's If UCONN played SoCar in the title game that they would have won by 20+!
UCONN is a bad matchup for SoCar, then and now!
And SoCar beating UCONN 2 years ago was more UCONN LOST than SoCar WON!
Geno has Dawn's # no comparison as Head Coaches!
You are living in an alternative universe.....

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Awesome, absolutely love it.

Boston:
1) Big and Ponderous
2) Knees - very frail
3) Had to be subbed out for defensive reasons
4) Not able to run the floor
5) No Stamina

Cardosa:
1) Big and Lumbering
2) A major project
3) Not BB savvy

Need I go on?

All knowledgeable UCONN fans should love this.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Awesome, absolutely love it.

Boston:
1) Big and Ponderous
2) Knees - very frail
3) Had to be subbed out for defensive reasons
4) Not able to run the floor
5) No Stamina

Cardosa:
1) Big and Lumbering
2) A major project
3) Not BB savvy

Need I go on?

All knowledgeable UCONN fans should love this.

Cardoso lumbering? Watch the game against Syracuse. She was the fastest post on the court typically out running both Liv and AE. Her problem was conditioning, not athleticism.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geez. Worst-case scenario.

Confused Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I’m thinking Stanford was the worst case scenario.

Congratulations to Dawn and the gamecocks on a good pick up. I’m sure Cardozo wanted to have the opportunity to compete for championships. She will be able to do that at South Carolina.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If the SC fans are anything like the BY fans, are any of them wondering if Amihere, Saxton and/or Grissett are going to be sticking around to play backup for the rest of their SC careers?

Reaction Score
Whatever SC does next year will only be a result of having a lot of talent on the floor. Putting it all together will be a chore. Frankly, I am not sure Dawn is up to the task. I have no such fears with Geno. Go UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom