Cardoso to SC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All NLI say "financial agreement" Cardoso is on an athletic scholly
A financial aid agreement and a NLI aren't the same thing.

The financial aid agreement lets a player sign or back out at any time. Usually a player does it if there is some doubt about the coach staying at the school.

Edit: You can also sign a financial aid agreement with more than 1 school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I love Geno and would never question his on court decisions. But this, this seems to be on him. This is a tough pill to swallow. This may not effect next years team. But in coming years and after Boston leaves it will become more and more apparent how good this kid is. SCar fans should be over the moon.

How do you know this is on Geno? What happened?

Reaction Score
I love Geno and would never question his on court decisions. But this, this seems to be on him. This is a tough pill to swallow. This may not effect next years team. But in coming years and after Boston leaves it will become more and more apparent how good this kid is. SCar fans should be over the moon.
What do you mean this is on Geno? Do you have any evidence that she wanted to come here and Geno screwed it up?

Reaction Score
SC’s guards are always looking for their own shot, rather than playing through Boston. I don’t expect that to change. At least the girl is back in the south
Arrested Development GIF

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wow, what a surprise. Dawn is taking off the gloves as she landed another BIG one. The rich get richer. No pressure on Cardoso to perform as Aliyah Boston is doing all of the heavy lifting as the starter as ardoso will back her up. She'll have plenty of time time to get in physical shape and learn how to play Gamecock basketball. 64% of the Boneyard wanted Cardoso. Even though she teased us by saying UConn was in the running, she went where the grass was perceived to be greener. Dawn has no trouble recruiting BIGS!!! Dawn is set at the five for the next 3-5 years (depending on long Cardoso stays).

I think Dawn Staley might be the premier recruiter in all of WCBB. She's a juggernaut. It used to be Tennessee that snarfed up talent. UConn has always been very selective, and that's why we've had thin benches for so many years. Next year's roster is an anomaly. Only a few years when this has happened. But Dawn is piling up talent year after year.

Reaction Score
What's so interesting about this move is how South Carolina doubled down on its strengths. Another big post player who is intimidating defensively and performs best offensively close to the basket. At the same time, UConn's incoming class reinforces it's strengths, excellent guard play and outside shooting. It's almost like an experiment in different approaches to winning basketball. Matchups with South Carolina the next few years will be not just be competitive, but illustrative of where WCBB is going and which approach will prevail.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SC now has 3 talented BIGs who are at their best in the paint. I can’t wait to see the Huskies face the Gamecocks next season to see if they can handle all the shooters UConn will have on the court. I have visions of the matchup from 2017 when SC’s twin towers couldn’t matchup with 6’1” Pheesa and 5’11” Gabby.

As a reminder, SC won the championship that year, but only after Coates was injured in the SEC tournament, forcing SC to use a smaller lineup in the NCAA tournament, which ended up spreading the floor and opening the lane for SC’s guards to continually attack the basket.

Reaction Score
I think Dawn Staley might be the premier recruiter in all of WCBB. She's a juggernaut. It used to be Tennessee that snarfed up talent. UConn has always been very selective, and that's why we've had thin benches for so many years. Next year's roster is an anomaly. Only a few years when this has happened. But Dawn is piling up talent year after year.

How do you reach this conclusion? UConn has 3 #1 players. Seems like Geno is doing pretty well.

Reaction Score
The bigger issue of course is the new transfer portal. I listened to the Commissioner of the MAC a few weeks ago say that it wouldn't have a "rich get richer" effect and would actually promote parity. Nonsense. It may promote parity at the FF or Elite 8 level but a mid major with a developed star after 2 years is going to lose him or her. Why play on a mid major or lower tier team in a power conference when you can play for a NC contender or a traditional powerhouse team and try to get noticed to play professionally. They couldn't apply the waiver rules evenly or write clear ones and probably got sued on numerous occasions, so they threw the baby out with the bath water, We got our transfer underneath, SC got theirs. How did either one of those transfers help the originating team? What's next? Compensation?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Whatever SC does next year will only be a result of having a lot of talent on the floor. Putting it all together will be a chore. Frankly, I am not sure Dawn is up to the task. I have no such fears with Geno. Go UConn!
confused will ferrell GIF

:eek: LoL. When has Geno not had talent on the floor?

Reaction Score
This may be the defensive strategy now. In fact this last season SC was very much an inside team with so so three point shooting before Cardoso. I think it changes the way Dawn looks at recruits and transfers. Clearly 3 pt shooters are now at the top of her wish list.

And now SC plays bigger - they are more susceptible with getting beat by perimeter play. I would think UCONN expects to be able to shoot well enough now that have Azzi. It's not like CWill and Evina and Nika are all going to be counted to always shoot awful.

And UCONN has already beaten SC. What good was their shot-blocking stopping Paige? Let her try to recruit 3pt shooters.

Generally the better the shooter SC will try to get in terms of being a terrific elite type of shooter - the less athletic they are thus the more they become susceptible on the other end.

SC's title team happened when they played small- away from the twin towers. Maybe it will work for them to be champs but I'm grateful for one thing is the talk that UCONN was just going to steamroll everyone without a doubt - imo that was extreme hubris and just shows a complete lack of respect to other players and teams. So that now without a doubt is gone.

Having a 5th year for many of these teams is so big too. No pun intended.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I agree with those who don't fear SCAR. Do you remember when Dawn had Coates and Wilson and tried to play them together. The team improved when Coates had an injury and Wilson was left room to play. Boston is good, but she's no Wilson. Cardoso is good, but she's no Boston They are still going to have to figure out an offense for the two of them. As long as Dawn has to rely on Henderson to run the offense they will have issues getting the ball (Nike or Wilson) into the post. All of Boston's stats went done from her Freshman to sophomore years because of the drop off from Harris at the point to Henny.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How do you reach this conclusion? UConn has 3 #1 players. Seems like Geno is doing pretty well.
But only one per recruiting year...

Justin Timberlake Yes GIF

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Also WBB is a guard oriented game. You don't win without good guards.

Reaction Score
Wait, what? Let's review the rosters for a second:
1. We have everyone returning except Anna.
2. We added Dorka Juhasz who has inside game to score, something Liv has been lacking.
3. We have 3 very strong players who will contribute, including the 2 top OUTSIDE shooters in Azzi and Caroline Ducharme
4. SC lost Grissett
5. Yes, SC added Cardoso but Liv did and will outplay her defensively and will do so again next year.
6. While Boston is a talent offensively, with Dorka we also have an inside scoring presence to add to Edwards that will require Boston to work on both ends of the floor.
7. SC is still suspect from outside shooting.
8. The point guard position for SC is still unproven
9. We have PAIGE and they don't

Remain calm, all is well.
SC’s problem to me has been their guards. No matter how many points they score, unless there is improvement, lack of smart guard play will undoubtedly continue to keep them from a natty.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
SC’s problem to me has been their guards. No matter how many points they score, unless there is improvement, lack of smart guard play will undoubtedly continue to keep them from a natty.
They'll improve. Last year was Henderson's first season running the show and Cooke is only a sophomore. Ty Harris made a massive jump from her junior to senior year, and Cuevas-Moore improved significantly too over her 4 years. My guess is Henderson plays more composed next year and Cooke plays more disciplined too by Feb/March. They also have Rivers/Johnson pushing them for minutes.

Reaction Score
Some of these posts are pitiful. Here’s the thing: SC just improved their team. UCONN has the deepest team they’ve ever had. The whole world thinks they won’t be touched on their way to a NC next season. If an addition of one player on one team changes that then something is very wrong somewhere. There are no excuses. Geno either wins the NC next season or it’s a coaching bust.

Reaction Score
I agree, though it puzzles me because I think both Zia and Destanni are incredibly talented. They just end up playing a bit frenetically. I think they're missing a really effective big wing, and may have too many point guards in the kitchen. I do love Zia Cooke's play, though, and I think having another option for an inside-out game with Cardoso will strengthen their options, as both she and Destanni love the drive and dish-out plays.

Reaction Score
Now the same kind of speculation that probably would have happened if she came here, will happen at SC. Namely which of their talented bigs may now leave. One of them might become the new hot name in the portal. or someone that departs Baylor for example. One big move frequently leads to others.

Orc

Reaction Score

Also WBB is a guard oriented game. You don't win without good guards.
Nightmare scenario. We can barely make any layups last season and now its even going to be near impossible to make layups against them. This will put so much pressure on our guards to score when we them again. I dont think our front court is as strong as them

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And now SC plays bigger - they are more susceptible with getting beat by perimeter play. I would think UCONN expects to be able to shoot well enough now that have Azzi. It's not like CWill and Evina and Nika are all going to be counted to always shoot awful.

And UCONN has already beaten SC. What good was their shot-blocking stopping Paige? Let her try to recruit 3pt shooters.

Generally the better the shooter SC will try to get in terms of being a terrific elite type of shooter - the less athletic they are thus the more they become susceptible on the other end.

SC's title team happened when they played small- away from the twin towers. Maybe it will work for them to be champs but I'm grateful for one thing is the talk that UCONN was just going to steamroll everyone without a doubt - imo that was extreme hubris and just shows a complete lack of respect to other players and teams. So that now without a doubt is gone.

Having a 5th year for many of these teams is so big too. No pun intended.
UCONN has not always beaten South Carolina. The last game was an OT which UCONN won. The game prior to that was a loss for UCONN in which UCONN was dominated. Here is a fun fact that might throw a fly into the ointment of your strategy of UCONN outshooting SC. The South Carolina backcourt Of Cooke and Henderson are actually terrific 3Pt shooters. Last year Cooke was 39.3% and Henderson was 41.4 %. Obviously neither of them are at Paige's level but Cooke and Henderson would have been solid #2 and 3 on UCONN by a significant margin.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A question mark which many are quickly pointing to with SC getting Cardoso is can she and Boston play together effectively. The short answer is she doesn't have to. Even without Cardoso SC lead the nation last year in blocked shots and was third in rebounding margin. Cardoso is an elite shot blocker and rebounder and then you can throw Rivers into the mix who has all the tools to be an elite perimeter defender.
UCONN on the other hand has a question mark (for 4 years running now) size, bulk, and skill in the post and the ability to get easy baskets. I just don't think UCONN is bringing enough "elite shooters" to offset the defensive advantages that SC now has.
What elite shooters are on SC? UConn will have at least two and maybe three. I think you may be underestimating the talent UConn will have the next few seasons. If Edwards shows improvement offensively next season, UConn will be fine up front. SC, Stanford, and Maryland will all be tough next season. There may also be some surprises. The questions I would like to see answered is did Cardoso reach out to UConn, did UConn reach out to her or was any contact made between the two? Also, did UConn turn her down? I doubt they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom