Cardoso to SC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cardoso to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posted this on the other thread that's locked but curious to hear what all of you think:

Wow.....didn't see that coming. Is Dawn planning to play both Cardoso and Boston at the same time? SC was maybe the only destination in the country where I didn't think Cardoso was a good fit because they have a better true post (Boston) ahead of Kamilla for the next 2 years. This also creates quite a logjam inside with Feagin, Amihere and Saxton now coming off the bench.

Congrats to SC since they're getting an immensely talented player but I'm not sure this ultimately makes SC a much better team aside from that it keeps Cardoso away from other good teams.
Kamilla will probably come off the bench. Feagin and Amihere can and will play the 3 some.

Reaction Score
Now the question raises how are minutes spread around?
When I wrote my thoughts above Cardosa had chosen Syracuse OVER UCONN, UCONN was in the original mix, but SoCar now has Boston their best player having to deal with 6'7" Cardoso!
Remember SoCar had Wilson and Coates getting in each others way in the lane until Coates graduated could Wilson shine!
IMHO I bet the ranch that Geno got some negative feedback from his players and/or his recruits!
I am still a little confused. I wonder if UConn was actually in the running or if they were used as leverage to get other teams interest. Playing time was definitely an issue at UConn but looking at South Carolina it may be there as well. I’d really like to know if Gino was in on her as a transfer or not. He may have seen it affecting future classes (Del Rosario)? I would still like to see another amazing guard come in in the next class KK or Kiki would be a nice choice

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think we actually match up with them decently. Although I do agree that it’ll be tough. Boston and Edwards will be able to guard each other and then Liv and Cardoso match up well together. Add in Dorka and I think we’ll be okay defensively. My concern is rebounding and then offensively we will need better production from our bigs. Let’s see how this plays out...
I think you may be underestimating SC 2021 Recruiting class in that matchup analysis. That class has 3 of the top 5 kids per the ESPN rankings and none of them have to be starters, just solid contributors.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Posted this on the other thread that's locked but curious to hear what all of you think:

Wow.....didn't see that coming. Is Dawn planning to play both Cardoso and Boston at the same time? SC was maybe the only destination in the country where I didn't think Cardoso was a good fit because they have a better true post (Boston) ahead of Kamilla for the next 2 years. This also creates quite a logjam inside with Feagin, Amihere and Saxton now coming off the bench.

Congrats to SC since they're getting an immensely talented player but I'm not sure this ultimately makes SC a much better team aside from that it keeps Cardoso away from other good teams.

Dawn may play them together a bit but that will cause some spacing issues on offense and defensive problems against teams that effectively spread the floor. A big advantage for SC will be when Boston goes to the bench which was typically an opportunity for opponents. Cardoso is no Boston (far from it) but SC won't lose as much when Boston goes to the bench for rest or fouls.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Congrats to SC, Cardoso and Coach Staley. But I don't understand what everyone is so worried about. Sure they will be a formidable opponent, but let's remember that UConn destroyed the Orange by 36 points – and it wasn't even that close. UConn shut Cardoso down. Held her to 12 points and seven rebounds. Played her so well that she visibly gave up. South Carolina was a very different kind of game and took OT to win. UConn held Boston to 17 points in 43 minutes. Yes she outscored Liv and Alliyah combined, but we made her life difficult, except for a burst at the end. UConn was also killed on the boards against SC. Yet that game showed how the team with outstanding guard play beats the team with good post play. Next year UConn's post play and guard play both have the potential of being considerably better. I'm not saying playing SC will be a cakewalk, but I think we'll be okay.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just can't get in a lather over this. Cardoso is a nice pickup for SC but she is more likely to be good than great and Dawn inherits the minutes allocation and future recruiting issues we worried about. We'll have 3 6'5" players on the bench so we aren't exactly without weapons to challage in the paint. Granted there are questions about Olivia, and Piath is still learning and Amari is a frosh. The latter two could easily be ready to be of real help by January. Then there is 6"3" Edwards, no shrinking violet banging down low. Add Paige, Azzi, Evina, Nika, Squeeks and a roomful of long wings, some of whom reportedly can shoot. I have no qualms about facing off with SC or anyone else.
:eek: There are questions about Liv and Piath?

Reaction Score
I think you may be underestimating SC 2021 Recruiting class in that matchup analysis. That class has 3 of the top 5 kids per the ESPN rankings and none of them have to be starters, just solid contributors.
Oh no not discounting them at all, because I totally agree. I just think their recruiting class and ours just cancel each other out. Both extremely talent and will hopefully be solid production wise. I’m interested to see if SC’s class will be able to shoot in game, that seems to be their weak spot. When I say we match up decently, I more mean we’re very close talent wise as opposed to we match up better.

Reaction Score
Yeah Corodoso is good, but people are acting like she is all World. SC can be beat.
:rolleyes: Would you be singing the same song if she had committed to UCONN?

This is a HUGE commit for Dawn. Trying to undermine Cardoso (ACC ROY and DPOY) is silly. She might not be a refined post player just yet, but her ceiling is incredibly high. Doesn't take an expert to see that.

Reaction Score
There is no negative to this for SC. Spacing doesn't matter as much when you have two huge kids playing together. Not to mention Boston can hit the foul line jumper. They can run high low all day and space the floor with their other shooters. They are the favs next year as we will find it very hard to defend them. Yes they will have it hard defending us as well but our bigs aren't as good as theirs and they have quality guards/role players and look to be deep as well. Having DJ on the team will certainly help. Liv will need to completely reinvent herself next year.

GA will have to earn his money to beat SC next year. It will be much more difficult than figuring out how to defeat Arizona.
This gives Staley flexibility to match up with any opposing line-up. There are other teams across the country that can play multiple solid BIGS on the floor at the same time, or, in a rotation. Great move on Staley's part, don't see a downside.

Reaction Score
I wasn't a uconn fan untill paige committee .... honestly I wasn't a WBB fan ... yeah uconn win 11 championship but let's be honest uconn bigs? do u think paith can match up with top 25 teams? respect her but she didn't belongs to uconn ?olivia we know what happens with the physical forward ! Aliyah she's perfect...dorka I don't know nothing about her ! with this bigs in thz others time I don't see uconn win it at all O feel sorry for Paige she deserve better teammate

Reaction Score
Well Cardoso is serious about wanting a chance at a ring, if not UConn she has a decent chance at South Carolina, I thought she was headed to UConn. If she starts at center with Boston at the four, they will have a nice rotation with Saxton and Amihere as backups. I still like UConn having Paige and Azzi, it should be a nice battle next year when the two teams face off.

Reaction Score
I think we actually match up with them decently. Although I do agree that it’ll be tough. Boston and Edwards will be able to guard each other and then Liv and Cardoso match up well together. Add in Dorka and I think we’ll be okay defensively. My concern is rebounding and then offensively we will need better production from our bigs. Let’s see how this plays out...
I agree with most of what you’re saying however Boston is a two-way player Olivia at this point really isn’t when it comes to big games. In order for Olivia to live up to her potential she needs to get much much better offensively such as developing the baby hook and shooting from the elbow. It will be interesting to see how our transfer a big can shoot. If she shows an ability to put points up and Olivia can’t Olivia may find it hard to be on the court. Gino has already expressed some disappointment with the play of UConn’s big.

Reaction Score
Chill out everybody, Yes, SCar will have a loaded roster next season.

Guess what . . . so will UConn.

Sets up a great regular season mathup, but we both need to move beyond the final four.

Stanford is the champ. We are both just chasers at this point.

Reaction Score
I for one like our chances against SC. This news is not upsetting to me at all. Our roster Rocks next year. Geno is a better coach. My opinion.

Reaction Score
IMHO This makes S C a significantly
Better team.unlike many of the folks on the board who seem to minimize her talent and focus on her shortcomings i see her as potentially the best “big player “ to come into wcbb since B Griner
While South Carolina was a very good team this year they struggled a bit when Boston
Was out of the game either with fouls of
Needed rest They certainly fixed that

as GA has said many times it’s really hard
To win the national championship .it just got a bit harder

Reaction Score
Another interesting fact, Cardoso is on Financial aid and not scholarship. Not sure, were they maxed out on the scholarship limit?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dawn may play them together a bit but that will cause some spacing issues on offense and defensive problems against teams that effectively spread the floor. A big advantage for SC will be when Boston goes to the bench which was typically an opportunity for opponents. Cardoso is no Boston (far from it) but SC won't lose as much when Boston goes to the bench for rest or fouls.
Yeah that makes sense. It's just surprising to me how Cardoso picked literally the only school that has a clear cut better player in front of her which likely puts her coming off the bench. She'd start at almost any other program in the country.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think we actually match up with them decently
Based on what? The only thing that stopped Cardoso when UConn played her was the Cuse guards.

Reaction Score
Aja Wilson wasn't utilized well? Aliyah Boston? BTW Stanford doesn't do the transfer thing.
Boston should have played much better with her talent. She is the best player in their team. But the offensive game of SC is slightly leaned to their guards. So, it's not so worse to see SC getting another BIG.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm curious how the people who felt Uconn was "going overboard" after they got Dorka because they "already had enough to win it all" feel now.
I'm one of those--I feel the same way about SC. With only 5 spots on the court, both teams are going to have several very talented players riding the pine for the next year or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom