Candace Parker/Olympic team thread (merged threads) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Candace Parker/Olympic team thread (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We get why Tennessee fans are upset. We get it. I just don't know what people expect the Boneyard to do about it.
I thought Meyers 7 would have a field day with Tennessee fans arguing about what a wonderful teammate she was and how easily she got along---lest they forget This is The Boneyard --here Uconn is first and foremost.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Where are you hearing that teammates have complained about her? I have never heard anything about that. This seems like harmful speculation to me.
Not harmful speculation at all. It's coming from numerous sources. It's far less harmful than many of the people on here blaming Geno stating he issued ultimatums to the US National Team. THAT was completely baseless. Or other posters going on and on about how it was personal between Geno and Candace. And no, those of us hearing it will not reveal sources. But the truth will eventually come out. It almost always does.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
i can't help thinking about a post about other people with personality/bad behaviors. Think of Griner's personal issues. They matter less than any "chemistry" with CP? The fish stew smells rotten. And no, I am not a Tennessee fan. I am a WBB fan who wants our best team out there, and I, like many others, feel that CP was well ahead of many others. Furthermore, if the goal is to add youth, their top priority should have been to add it in the guard position.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That is the truth that many who "B-witch' about it's unfair. Life is unfair even for some very rich, the president, that guy who run russia or ho chi min---
But UN fair is a perception: what is fair to you may be unfair to me. Live with it.
Bone spoke about "personalities" clashes---he/she who is charge always wins the personality clash--real adults know that and --work to get along.
Heck I even try to get along with Meyers 7!!!!!!
I'm easy to get along with. Just agree with me. :cool:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Kelsey Bone speaking as an ADULT--misses the concept that makes the world go around: Personalities. If your personality clashes with management--you lose. If you don't know how to "get along" it is to "go along"
No coach or manager has the time or energy to deal with "personalities" when there is a time crunch to get the job done (in this case Olympic medal).
If ms Bone thinks Parker has the fan following or the "pull" to be on the USA team\
--in the REAL world personalities matter unless you own the company are a president or dictator (then you can have your own way) Grow up Bone!1

Personalities shouldn't matter when it comes to getting a job done. I manage people and there are various personalities. You find a way to draw on the strengths of those various personalities. None of these players would be great if they didn't each know how to work within a team setting and how to put aside personal conflicts for the sake of the end goal. In this case, Candace has been on 2 previous gold medal teams and it certainly didn't prevent them from reaching the end goal. It's not like they were discussing someone that would be new to this process. She just competed in October and by all accounts, it was a successful run for USA.

Reaction Score
I read the DiMauro article and just really felt beyond expressing her opinion, yea or nea, Kelsey should have kept her mouth shut! She has no idea what happens on the inside, practice and games!
He and his assts. check out the players, BB talent, grades, attitude toward coaches, team mates, managers, etc. When a name is brought up that coaches are interested in a certain HS player, the coaches ask the team if anyone has any knowledge of that player good or bad, and if the team knows that player is a pain in the ass, Geno won't recruit that player! If parents come off too forceful he isn't interested in dealing with them for 4 years.
Even though Parker is obviously a multi-talented BB player I have never liked her ego/ attitude or behavior on the court!

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Not harmful speculation at all. It's coming from numerous sources. It's far less harmful than many of the people on here blaming Geno stating he issued ultimatums to the US National Team. THAT was completely baseless. Or other posters going on and on about how it was personal between Geno and Candace. And no, those of us hearing it will not reveal sources. But the truth will eventually come out. It almost always does.

To put those claims to rest, there have also been teammates that have come forward and said they love being her teammate, so that doesn't fly.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
okay so now I'm going to play the parent card. How many other players have kids? Do we think that is a factor at all -- her desire/need to spend (days off) with her daughter? Or is all this "alleged" difficult personality on-the-court behavior? Unlike a star guard who gets Technical fouls right and left? Would love to know all the facts but sounds like we may never know them and the bottom line is that it is ridiculous to omit her talent.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To put those claims to rest, there have also been teammates that have come forward and said they love being her teammate, so that doesn't fly.
Oh really? So you discount what her US National teammates had to say about her? Ok. About what I'd expect from a Tenn fan. All I'm saying is that there are numerous reports coming out that point to Candace's actions as the reason she was left off the team. It's time for people to stop blaming Geno and start looking at the real source of the problem.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
okay so now I'm going to play the parent card. How many other players have kids? Do we think that is a factor at all -- her desire/need to spend (days off) with her daughter? Or is all this "alleged" difficult personality on-the-court behavior? Unlike a star guard who gets Technical fouls right and left? Would love to know all the facts but sounds like we may never know them and the bottom line is that it is ridiculous to omit her talent.

Actually, the bottom line is that we are not privy to exactly what factors went into the committee's decision. Some are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (the Ben Franklin quote on human infallibility comes to mind) and some are not.

It's certainly a puzzling decision.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I can't access the article and don't what to misinterpret something I can't read because I don't have context, but if by "personality conflict" Bone means a player is oppositional then so be it. The tension that creates is certainly going to have an impact on the coaching staff and the rest of the team. That would certainly be a valid reason for keeping any player off the team, no matter how great. Having said that, once again an individual (Bone) is placing the blame on Geno when in fact Parker has not laid the blame squarely on his shoulders although it might be implied. People need to get over themselves. we all face disappointments in life and there are never any guarantees. There is no privilege; sometimes the things we want the most have to be earned. Sometimes that means putting your ego aside and accepting authority.
Exactly what I was about to write.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I still haven't seen these reports or are the teammates calling you up to tell you?

Oh really? So you discount what her US National teammates had to say about her? Ok. About what I'd expect from a Tenn fan. All I'm saying is that there are numerous reports coming out that point to Candace's actions as the reason she was left off the team. It's time for people to stop blaming Geno and start looking at the real source of the problem.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The only information that should matter is CP basketball ability now-TODAY!, anything else (including team chemistry) is highly speculative and should be ignored. We are not talking about a newbie to the national team here-CP has been on or around the national team since 2006 and USA basketball since 2004. That is a full decade of being mostly a starter on the National team.
Actually Parker has played in 25 games as a member of the NT and has started a total of three games. The three games she started were in the 2012 Olympics, where three players Catchings, Bird and Taurasi were the only ones to start all games, Moore started five, Charles started six, and Jones started two and Parker the other three. And since her introduction to the NT team she has only played in 25 of the 40 games played in the WC or Olympics.

Reaction Score
I'm easy to get along with. Just agree with me. :cool:
I've noticed that a long time ago. However, I ask: When are you going to take issue with these Tenn visitors who think Geno is the second coming of Satan (maybe the 40th coming)?????

Reaction Score
Agreed. And with all the this has stirred up, they must have known that would be coming, they still chose to take the hits and keep her off the team. Might be time for Parker to do a self examination.
Doubt that's gonna happen.

Anyway, for 2-3 days I was feeling very sympathetic. But, whatever her reason for posting the vid, it has helped me get over that. Now I don't have to waste any more energy feeling sorry for her. Now it's just, "Glad you shared your, "I'll always have this moment" memory, thanks for the reminder, and enjoy your time off this summer."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What is really funny to me is that Bone has absolutely no clue what she is talking about or the recent history of USA basketball -
Geno didn't enjoy the last WC because of Parker?!!! That would be the Parker who wasn't playing on that team or traveling with that team, but nursing herself back to health in Southern California - Talk about a big personality - she could ruin Geno's day from 5,000 miles away!
As for 'personalities' - I would say DT and Angel and probably BG have the biggest personalities on the USA team and sort of dwarf Candace's. Now what she probably meant to say was 'attitude' and on that score I leave my comments to myself.

And yeah, Mike - Bone better build on her first good year as a pro to make CT fan's forget her dissing CT heroes. Goes with the territory of being a public figure as 'New York values' Mr. Cruz found out a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Parker is a great player, and I am sure a worthy selection for the team....Yet, she was not chosen..... Two things come to mind....

One is the example of this happening before (being seemingly slighted)..... Coaches in international competitions are eager to staff their teams with those who are going to be a most comfortable fit.... Perhaps this is the thing with Candace I do not know..... It is said that Geno does not have heavy influence on the selection of roster, and maybe that is or is not believable. But I do remember the past and on the mens side, both Bobby Knight and Dean Smith having Indiana and UNC players on their international teams where other seemingly more deserving players were left on the sidelines....

The other thought is that.... having seen this over a lifetime of corporate life .... is that when applying for a job (which this ease ntially is).... the most quailfied person very often misses out on the position for whatever reason..... the hiring manager feels that the person they eventually hired would be a better fit for the organization..... maybe this is the case here....

Don't know, and I don't want to speculate.....

Reaction Score
i can't help thinking about a post about other people with personality/bad behaviors. Think of Griner's personal issues. They matter less than any "chemistry" with CP? The fish stew smells rotten. And no, I am not a Tennessee fan. I am a WBB fan who wants our best team out there, and I, like many others, feel that CP was well ahead of many others. Furthermore, if the goal is to add youth, their top priority should have been to add it in the guard position.
You will find that Boneyarder have no issue with Parkers ability to play--or for most even having her on the USA team is not an issue.
She has talent--superb talent.
But the implication that Geno (alone) was responsible for her not playing on the Olympic team does not sit well with us.
An aside comment: Personality in interpersonel relationshiips is a must, more so on teams--most can get along with anyone who is talented who is less abrasive and coached as easily as the rest of the team--disruptions because of personality just dont work well when you are trying, with very limited time, to create a team that is expected to win a lot.

Reaction Score
As someone not atuned to the current short cuts in writing in blogs or posting on instagram--please spell out fully what you intended to convey with F-Candace or F-Uconn. Does that mean the both got a grade of F or Fine Candace , Fine Uconn? or Fundamentally great Canda ce or Uconn?, I can think of a hundred other F words that may apply but most don't make sense--so please spell it out!!!
For your future reference

Slang Dictionary - Text Slang & Internet Slang Words - Words Starting With A

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Has Parker asked why she isn't on the team?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Actually Parker has played in 25 games as a member of the NT and has started a total of three games. The three games she started were in the 2012 Olympics, where three players Catchings, Bird and Taurasi were the only ones to start all games, Moore started five, Charles started six, and Jones started two and Parker the other three. And since her introduction to the NT team she has only played in 25 of the 40 games played in the WC or Olympics.
Just an additional thought on this - players like Parker, Whalen, McCoughtry, and Augustus who have generally not been starters on the NT tend to put up better numbers than they might if they were starting and playing against the other team's fresh starters. This is true for college teams, and professional teams of both genders, but is especially true with the USA national team because one of it's greatest strengths is the depth of talent the USA can place on the team compared to every other National team it faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom