Cancelled. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Really? You're not getting my point? Those kids have families that hopefully are preparing to evacuate. Wherever those families end up is where their sons should be. End of story.
The reason they cancelled supposivedly is the forecast models have moved west putting the entire state at risk. There is no where to run or the gas to make it out - except that chartered flight

Reaction Score
2 weeks to prepare and get healthy for UVA.

Going into that game undefeated, can't wait to be there!

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I wonder if UConn has an insurance policy to make up for the all of the lost revenue from this game?

Or are we going to have to play a couple more payoff games ( like the Clemson game) now to offset the lost revenue in the athletic budget – – which we all know is razor thin these days.

Reaction Score
Take a deep breath, remove the hysterical emotion and explain to me when you have a charter plane ready to evacuate a hurricane , why is it safer to remain there for a category 5?

Nice try Chief, but I'm fine. Honestly, the shtick won't work on me.

The leader of 40,000 student university believed it would be best not to put 100 student athletes and staff in an aircraft and have them rush home in an attempt to beat the storm. Said leader probably also felt it would be better to have those student athletes and staff near the university prior to the storm in order to best coordinate storm preparation (evacuation, etc.). Not illogical.

That this all needs to be explained to you is a little sad.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I think it comes down to this.....if they somehow lost to us and then had to spend a week away from home trying to prepare for another tough game, they could get back to Florida at 2-2. Now they have a good chance of being 3-0. I think it may be that simple.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it comes down to this.....if they somehow lost to us and then had to spend a week away from home trying to prepare for another tough game, they could get back to Florida at 2-2. Now they have a good chance of being 3-0. I think it may be that simple.

Ya think? Somebody figured it out.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The reason they cancelled supposivedly is the forecast models have moved west putting the entire state at risk. There is no where to run or the gas to make it out - except that chartered flight

So, you'd leave your family to fend for themselves if you had a flight to safety?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The internet keeps thinking that CCSU volleyball picture is UConn. The girl in the pic is probably 40 by now too.
I just saw one of my neighbors daughters in that thread...it was disconcerting to say the least.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, you'd leave your family to fend for themselves if you had a flight to safety?

You do know that college football players live on campuses right. They don't live at home 10 minutes away and commute.

You've made up the options.

The option is stay in Tampa not with family or go to Connecticut not with family.

They don't want to play distrasted and they don't want to go to Illinois after staying in CT.

Reaction Score
You do know that college football players live on campuses right. They don't live at home 10 minutes away and commute.

You've made up the options.

The option is stay in Tampa not with family or go to Connecticut not with family.

They don't want to play distrasted and they don't want to go to Illinois after staying in CT.
it's an absolute joke. why fly to safety? who thinks that's a good idea?

if it ends up being that bad down there classes will be cancelled anyway.

C

Chief00

The leader of 40,000 student university believed it would be best not to put 100 student athletes and staff in an aircraft and have them rush home in an attempt to beat the storm. Said leader probably also felt it would be better to have those student athletes and staff near the university prior to the storm in order to best coordinate storm preparation (evacuation, etc.). Not illogical.

Why would they rush back to school to be in a category 4-5 hurricane?

C

Chief00

So now we have effectively gone from 7 to 5 home games with Fenway and this absurd cancellation.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the plan is from here for the team. Are they planning on being with their families in FL. throughout the storm? Are they evacuating with their families? Did the University not have the resources to assist players and coaches families if the game was played? And what changed between Plan A and Plan C? I get the importance of making arrangements for relatives as we got my wife's mother out of Boca today. It just seems they were floundering and settled on the bailout option. Not angry and it's not a "wrong" decision under the circumstances (unless they're practicing on Monday), but it was fumbled around going from one bad option to another.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I wonder what the plan is from here for the team. Are they planning on being with their families in FL. throughout the storm? Are they evacuating with their families? Did the University not have the resources to assist players and coaches families if the game was played? And what changed between Plan A and Plan C? I get the importance of making arrangements for relatives as we got my wife's mother out of Boca today. It just seems they were floundering and settled on the bailout option. Not angry and it's not a "wrong" decision under the circumstances (unless they're practicing on Monday), but it was fumbled around going from one bad option to another.
Honestly, if they haven't started evacuating by now, they're going to have a hard time getting gas and will spend forever on the interstate trying to leave. Might be too late to evacuate.

The scheduling was definitely handled poorly. Either cancel it or don't, but don't announce that it'll be at 10:30 and give details about tailgating and everything, then say that halftime is cut to 15 minutes, and then less than 24 hours later say that it's actually canceled.

Reaction Score
they'll be on campus watching film on Illinois

Reaction Score

I think the best evacuation prep would be to consider spending 1000 miles away from a cat 5 hurricane and play a schedule during football game while they're at it. But I'm sure they'llbhave an easy time packing up their families that all surely live within driving distance of campus and using their unlimited funds from all the money they make playing football to get those families out of harms way. Smart move

Reaction Score
I wonder if they asked the players what they would prefer? There's a good chance classes will be cancelled anyway and I'd imagine practices for the week would be impacted if the worst unfortunately happens down there. Personally I'd rather be up in sunny CT in a dry hotel room sharing the practice facility with UConn for a few days than riding out a hurricane in my dorm room. There at least would have been another 100 or so people out of harms way up here.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone here thinks that family, loved ones or anyone for that matter should not be as safe as possible. The argument comes down to why was it important for a group of kids to be in Florida vs CT. I argue that even if the majority of the kids are from Florida they will not be with their family anyway. Also as a parent I would rather my son be in CT and stay there after playing football then staying put in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom