Can we celebrate yet? | The Boneyard

Can we celebrate yet?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I certainly don’t want to offend the “Mojo Gods,” but with Aliyah Boston showing up again yesterday for the 1st game of the season, just one week after her official visit, less than a week before the start of the early signing period and a trip home to St Thomas where she can watch the Huskies play 3 more times over Thanksgiving, is it too early to celebrate?

OK, I know it ain’t over til it’s over. But Aliyah has been to so many UConn games, I’m beginning to wonder if she doesn’t have season tickets.

It’s hard to overstate just how important Aliyah is to the future of UConn WBB. The top post in the class of 2019, living an hour away from Storrs is just about a must have for the Huskies. While I’ve been calling Aliyah a lock for over a year, like every other BY’er, I get a little uneasy from time to time. Hopefully we will all receive very good news very soon.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why post stuff like this? And no we can't.

FTR, particularly those who like to paint a picture of this board with a broad brush, I think this post is ridiculous.
Thank you for your courteous feedback.

Excuse me for asking this, but why react so bitterly to a speculative question that was intended to generate some light-hearted discussion?

Reaction Score

FTR, particularly those who like to paint a picture of this board with a broad brush, I think this post is ridiculous.

why the angry response over some wishful thinking.............? Perhaps a don't count your chickens before they hatch kind of response would have been more suitable..............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I didn’t realize she was at the game or she had been to other games. I appreciate the update and insight, oldude.
Thanks, but I'm not the one who brought this information to everyone's attention. A number of BY'ers who were in attendance yesterday, spotted Aliyah sitting behind UConn's bench and subsequently alerted everyone who was in the Chat Room watching and commenting on the game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I certainly don’t want to offend the “Mojo Gods,” but with Aliyah Boston showing up again yesterday for the 1st game of the season, just one week after her official visit, less than a week before the start of the early signing period and a trip home to St Thomas where she can watch the Huskies play 3 more times over Thanksgiving, is it too early to celebrate?

OK, I know it ain’t over til it’s over. But Aliyah has been to so many UConn games, I’m beginning to wonder if she doesn’t have season tickets.

It’s hard to overstate just how important Aliyah is to the future of UConn WBB. The top post in the class of 2019, living an hour away from Storrs is just about a must have for the Huskies. While I’ve been calling Aliyah a lock for over a year, like every other BY’er, I get a little uneasy from time to time. Hopefully we will all receive very good news very soon.
It may be too early to throw a party, but giving a couple of high fives all around ain't outta line in my book. But knowing kids she could have showed because she forgot her cell in Geno's office.

Reaction Score

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No, no celebrating. And don't offend those Mojo gods.

But

me-likey-.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Two of her final 4 schools played on a Sunday roughly an hour's drive from where she lives. Not surprising she was there. Perhaps it would have been more surprising if she hadn't been there.
That's true, but she got her complementary pass from UConn. If she was sitting behind the tOSU bench, this would have been a much different conversation this morning.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Unfortunately Jones had a prior commitment in Eugene, OR. However, maybe she asked her hosts if she could watch the UConn game on TV while she was there.....:cool:
Heck, with their cells these kids are watching Rick and Morty, the game in front of them, talking to their friends in the next seats, texting their mom, and checking the stream of the UConn game at the same time. Multi-tasking is cultivating the (in)ability to stay (un)focused on any single task for no more than 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That's true, but she got her complementary pass from UConn. If she was sitting behind the tOSU bench, this would have been a much different conversation this morning.

To follow one of your train of thoughts, I would be surprised if the comp didn't come from the usual source, given how often she's been there. I'm with Orangutan on this one -- opening game for the Huskies; two of my four finalists playing; and, voila, I'm there.

(Just like if Oregon, ND, S. Carolina or UConn was playing at Stanford, I'd expect North Californian Haley Jones to be there, probably in the Stanford comp seats.)

Boston would obviously be a huge get for any of the four programs she's listed as a finalist. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To follow one of your train of thoughts, I would be surprised if the comp didn't come from the usual source, given how often she's been there. I'm with Orangutan on this one -- opening game for the Huskies; two of my four finalists playing; and, voila, I'm there.

(Just like if Oregon, ND or UConn was playing Stanford, I'd expect Haley Jones to be there, probably in the Stanford comp seats.)

Boston would obviously be a huge get for any of the four programs she's listed as a finalist. Stay tuned.
Maybe, but visiting teams also have comp tickets to give away. It's a pity UConn didn't open with ND. Then this discussion would really be interesting. We would be hiring body language experts to interpret every time Aliyah rolled her eyes or nodded her head.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

A bit harsh! Wisdom brings discretion. Wrong side of the bed ,maybe? As your posts are normally more well considered, maybe it is just a rainy Monday morning! :confused:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Would be highly irregular to sit behind the visiting team's bench, no? I can't recall any examples of a recruit doing this.

This just doesn't strike me as a new development. She's been to plenty of UConn games before and this was a natural game to attend given the scheduling.

In the interest of not being a total wet blanket/contrarian, it's certainly not a bad thing for UConn's prospects and I continue to think UConn is the favorite for Boston. But not because she was at this game.

Fun fact relating to your original post - Sam Brunelle was a Virginia women's basketball season ticket holder (per this article published April 10, 2018). Now UConn =/= UVA in many ways but you see where I'm going here.

Hell, I've been to more DePaul games than Notre Dame games and I'm completely neutral towards DePaul. I just like seeing good basketball in person and McGrath Phillips Arena is a heck of a lot closer than Purcell Pavillion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Would be highly irregular to sit behind the visiting team's bench, no? I can't recall any examples of a recruit doing this.

This just doesn't strike me as a new development. She's been to plenty of UConn games before and this was a natural game to attend given the scheduling.

In the interest of not being a total wet blanket/contrarian, it's certainly not a bad thing for UConn's prospects and I continue to think UConn is the favorite for Boston. But not because she was at this game.

Fun fact relating to your original post - Sam Brunelle was a Virginia women's basketball season ticket holder (per this article published April 10, 2018). Now UConn =/= UVA in many ways but you see where I'm going here.

Hell, I've been to more DePaul games than Notre Dame games and I'm completely neutral towards DePaul. I just like seeing good basketball in person and McGrath Phillips Arena is a heck of a lot closer than Purcell Pavillion.
There have been a number of times when UConn is on the road, particularly in AAC conference play when UConn recruits turn up behind their bench. But specifically to the question of Boston, I would be very surprised at this late date, after completing all of her official visits, that she is still mulling over her decision. Assuming that she has made her decision, asking UConn for a complementary pass would be somewhat questionable if she intends to go somewhere else. I guarantee you that Geno, his coaches as well as many of the players who all know her were chatting with her before, during and after the game. But you never know, maybe next week, Aliyah will have a press conference and put on a Buckeye hat. If that happens, I will certainly be eating a healthy portion of crow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom